Which curriculum should I simultaneously teach a 3 & 4 yo?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
brabbit14

Which curriculum should I simultaneously teach a 3 & 4 yo?

Unread post by brabbit14 »

Hello! I’m excited to start our journey with MFW! I have a 3 yo girl, and a 4 yo boy (To be 4 and 5 in May). I have purchased the PreK4 package and plan to start both with that now. My question is, should I teach both the PreK until Summer, then switch the older to K program in the fall, and keep the younger on the PreK4? When would be the best time to transition my older to the K program?
As a note, I’ve been teaching both my own pre-K/letter of the week curriculum since June. My older needs work on fine motor skills and doesn’t like to write or sit long, while my younger, at 3, writes, cuts, and keeps up with or excels in most skills, and asks for more work.

A-Z is only 26 weeks, but the PreK package is longer, I think.
My concern is, I don’t want to hold my older back for the entire PreK, (since it is longer), and I don’t want to push my younger to K curriculum too soon (though she is excelling).
manyblessings

Re: Which curriculum should I simultaneously teach a 3 & 4 yo?

Unread post by manyblessings »

Hi! I think it would be best to do the Pre K with your two children, and simply follow with K for both whenever you are done with it. The repetition will be good for both of them, and MFW PreK is so much fun! You don't really need to follow the same schedule as public school, feel free to make it work for you. Your 3 year old girl will gain a lot of knowledge tagging along with your 4 year old boy, and from what you said she is already keeping up with her brother. Don't feel like you are "Holding back" your older. Many boys, even in public school, do much better starting K closer to age 6, for the reasons you mentioned- fine motor skills, being able to sit for longer periods of time. There's no rush! Let him enjoy the fun stuff with his younger sister and feel successful, while he gains better motor control in enjoyable ways and learns awesome character and Bible lessons with great activities. Also, about K. There are 26, 5-day, letter-themed units, but also a 2-week Creation unit at the beginning, a Christmas unit to be done in December which can be spread over 4 weeks to accommodate family holiday time, and a 2-week Fruit of the Spirit unit that comes at the end of the school year. This makes a total of 32 to 34 weeks, so K is not shorter than PreK.
With children so close in age, it would probably work best to keep on combining them all the way through :)
brabbit14 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 pm
Hello! I’m excited to start our journey with MFW! I have a 3 yo girl, and a 4 yo boy (To be 4 and 5 in May). I have purchased the PreK4 package and plan to start both with that now. My question is, should I teach both the PreK until Summer, then switch the older to K program in the fall, and keep the younger on the PreK4? When would be the best time to transition my older to the K program?
As a note, I’ve been teaching both my own pre-K/letter of the week curriculum since June. My older needs work on fine motor skills and doesn’t like to write or sit long, while my younger, at 3, writes, cuts, and keeps up with or excels in most skills, and asks for more work.

A-Z is only 26 weeks, but the PreK package is longer, I think.
My concern is, I don’t want to hold my older back for the entire PreK, (since it is longer), and I don’t want to push my younger to K curriculum too soon (though she is excelling).
Lourdes
4 adults, 1 in 2nd
3 in heaven
Married 6/20/09
2019-2020: ADV
allgrace

Unread post by allgrace »

I don't believe you can hold a 4 year old back. There is so much more for our children to learn than academics! I would agree with the previous poster and start on pre-k. It is a great program. Then you can start both on Kinder and if your younger child is not ready for it they can easily join in on the activities. I am teaching K and my First grader still wants to join in on some of the K activities.
HTH
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds11:RTR
Dd8:RTR
Dd6: MFW 1st
Ds 4: preschool workbooks
Ds. 2: preschool
brabbit14

Thank you so much for both of your replies. You are both confirming what I am sensing is the right direction... to start both in the PreK. I guess i can just switch my older if/when he is needing more, and keep my girl in the PreK longer, if need be. I have had it stuck in my head that I have to start him in K by the "regular" school year in the fall. I guess the beauty of homeschooling is that I don't have to be bound by that. Not sure how that works with my state regulations, though. I will have to research. This is all new to me and I want to be sure to get it right.
brabbit14

Thank you, for the info on the length of K program. I am so glad to know it is actually longer than the 26 weeks... it was throwing me off. I must have misread the details. It makes me feel better that it is the same length as the PreK, lol!
allgrace

Unread post by allgrace »

HSLDA has info. On state requirements. You want to make sure you are following those. Some states don't require you to start school until a certain age and that age varies by state. May God bless you as you start home schooling your little ones!
Grace
"Sanctify them by the Truth, your word is Truth" John 17:17
Ds11:RTR
Dd8:RTR
Dd6: MFW 1st
Ds 4: preschool workbooks
Ds. 2: preschool
brabbit14

Thank you. I will confirm for FL.