Career Interest Testing?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
mom2h

Career Interest Testing?

Unread post by mom2h » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:51 am

Wondering if anyone has had their high schooler take a career/interest/aptitude test?
If so, can you recommend it?
Our son is a Junior, and really has no idea what he want's to pursue in life, or at least he doesn't think he does. We'd like to at least get a couple of ideas of what he might be good at for a career or possibly college courses to take.

Thanks!
Rhonda
mom2h

Julie - Staff

Re: Career Interest Testing?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi Rhonda,

I thought I'd start the conversation, just to keep you company :) . I wouldn't say I'm very experienced in this area, but I do like to brainstorm. Here are some wandering ideas:
  • My pastor yesterday happened to mention a program he participated in some time ago, called Strength Finders. This is something our staff has also explored as we work on team-building. Just a thought as you search for ways to help steer your son in a good direction for his gifts and talents.
  • There are a couple of giant Christian homeschool co-ops for grades 7-12 in my area, and one of them uses the Career Direct career assessment. I've never seen it, but someone must be passionate about it to offer it as part of a class description. The class is for grades 10-12 and has a fairly high fee. Perhaps there are other homeschool career exploration courses you could look into, at least as a means of finding out their recommended tools.
  • With my youngest son, I used the 10th grade research paper as a combination career exploration assignment. He was somewhat interested in the field of medicine, and we had many connections in that field at the time both through family and through illness. So his research paper was based on interviews with people in as many different areas of medicine as we could arrange. Since students do not have the life experience or analysis skills of adults yet, these in-person interviews about the nuts-and-bolts of real jobs were especially valuable.
  • The high school service projects done each year are also useful for experimenting with different roles and responsibilities, as well as the value of a life of service. Of course an extra set of hands is always nice, but you might have your student notice the volunteers who actually have valuable skills to contribute.
  • Adding this later: A book my son relied on a lot in writing his paper on medical careers was the Occupational Outlook Handbook, by the U.S. Department of Labor. It is an extensive list of occupations that students may not realize are out there, and it also has practical info about the outlook for each job.
Hope something sparks a useful idea!
Julie

mom2h

Unread post by mom2h » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks, Julie! I was starting to hear crickets out here! lol!

HSLDA does have a list of these types of assessments on their website, but I'm hesitant to just throw a dart at one. I really want to hear from someone who has used a specific one and their impressions of it.

I will talk to the hubs about some of your suggestions, too, and see if he takes a shine to one.

Thanks again!
Rhonda

Julie - Staff

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:15 pm

Ah, HSLDA, I should have thought of that resource, too!

Hopefully someone will have a chance to chime in about specific experiences.

Blessings,
Julie