Alternative/modification to the Odysey in Ancient History/Lit 9th grade

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Truthjules

Alternative/modification to the Odysey in Ancient History/Lit 9th grade

Unread post by Truthjules » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi, My daughter who is dyslexic with other language processing challenges was not able to get much out of the Illiad so we listened to The Black Ships Before Troy which she really enjoyed(She uses audiobooks along with reading) Now we have tried to listen/read the Odyssey but again the "elevated" style is too complex. Any suggestions to alternative books or modifications for her? I see Audible has an abridged version of the Odyssey translated by Alan Mandelbaum that may be a good alternative.

Julie - Staff

Re: Alternative/modification to the Odysey in Ancient History/Lit 9th grade

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:44 pm

The Iliad in high school is somewhat optional (with notes about that in the Lesson Plans). However, the Odyssey is studied in more depth using a literature guide included in the Lit & Comp Supplement (similar to a Progeny Press guide). So it's harder to leave that one out and still have a complete high school credit.

It may be possible to use the literature guide with an alternative version of the Odyssey, especially if you have the actual version on hand to look things up when needed. Here are some random thoughts:
  • There is a Sutcliff version of the Odyssey similar to the Iliad, called the Wanderings of Odysseus.
  • There is, of course, the Children's Homer which we read in Creation to the Greeks.
  • There is a Hallmark video series of the Odyssey which is pretty thorough.
I did some subbing when my son was in 9th, because he was involved in a boys' book club and covering a lot of literature there (they had read the Sutcliff books a year or two before). So subbing is not foreign to me, although it meant extra work for me.

However, I personally felt it was important to throw in at least a section of the real Homer for a few reasons, including:
  • To make sure my students are familiar with the fact that Homer wrote poetry, not prose, and to hear his storytelling style (repetitive, expansive, memorable).
  • To be sure my son knew Homer's stories were not, how should I say it, they were not more pleasant, more understandable, more meaningful, nor less violent than events in the Old Testament (as non-Christians in college may suggest).
  • Because the Odyssey is typically covered in most high schools that I've known of, so a familiarity may be expected.
  • To ensure my son was gradually moving towards college-level reading expectations in some areas.
A long answer to a short question! Blessings as you plan for your daughter's needs,
Julie

Truthjules

Re: Alternative/modification to the Odysey in Ancient History/Lit 9th grade

Unread post by Truthjules » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi Julie, I'm sorry I never thanked you for your response! I appreciate you taking the time to get back with me about this. My daughter actually stuck with
the Odyssey by listening and following along in the book and really enjoyed it. Greek mythology has been her favorite part of school so I'm so happy we persevered and didn't give up. Sometimes it's hard to know how hard to push our kids who learn differently.