Adding SOW Vol. 1 to CTG

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
jaimejac

Adding SOW Vol. 1 to CTG

Unread post by jaimejac »

I've been reading the threads in the archives about why SOW Vol. 1 was not chosen for CTG, but I was just curious if anyone HAS chosen to use it along with the other texts in CTG and found that to be successful? Or is there really any reason why I SHOULDN'T add it? I did read there might be some historical inaccuracies...?
DS4home

Re: Adding SOW Vol. 1 to CTG

Unread post by DS4home »

I think if you are able to pre-read it then it could be useable. That way you could skip over the inaccuracies if you know where they are.
I didn't use SOW that year but I was intrigued with Mystery of History and bought that. We used it a lot with CTG and loved it, but there was some redundancies and it was overkill at times. Thank goodness my kids loved to color! I often had them color a picture that had to do with the story while I read, so they didn't mind what I was reading or if it was redundant! They colored through all of the history readings and Bible too! Sometimes they weren't done coloring when I was done reading and they would ask me to read something more...(cough, cough) that's how some of the book basket books got read ;)
Celebrating our 30th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS+College Grad), & Bethany(11th)
2020: high school US Hist.1
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1
jaimejac

Unread post by jaimejac »

Thank you! I'm not sure I would know myself what the inaccuracies are... I should probably just trust what the Hazell's have put together. I was drawn to this curriculum for a reason. Sometimes I get caught up in all.the.things that are available!
Liral3n

Unread post by Liral3n »

I did this with my son last year. I found a thread on the Well Trained Mind forum where someone had figured out which chapter in STOW matched the week being studied. I started using that, but it became too stressful. So I just scheduled the next chapter unless it was obvious that I needed to skip to the chapter that matched the topic for the week. I got the activity book, history encyclopedia, and test book also. He read the chapter one day and answered the oral questions from the activity guide. We would also look through the projects and choose any that looked or sounded fun. The next day he would do the mapwork and read the corresponding chapter from Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. The third day he would take the test. I also used the reading recommendations from the activity guide to supplement the weekly library runs.

STOW presents all the world religions pretty impartially and equally. So it waters down Christianity quite a bit. Abraham’s call to the promised land, the Israelites leaving Egypt, and the life of Jesus are some I noticed to have glaring holes or inaccuracies. We would talk about that and compare STOW with the Bible reading done for MFW.

I would not recommend doing both programs like this for most people. My son loves history and geography. He craved more map work after doing ECC. He was also doing this as a 6th grader. So STOW was a bit under grade level and fun for him.

Rome to Reformation schedules STOW more intensely than I did, and so it’s been a bit of a struggle to keep up the mapwork, history encyclopedia readings and tests. Some days he reads the chapter, answers the oral questions, does the mapwork and encyclopedia readings as well as the other MFW history in one day. Then tests that chapter the next day while reading the next chapter and all that entails.

Liralen