Language & Math - Can I use any curriculum? MFW philosophy?

Language & Math - Can I use any curriculum? MFW philosophy?

Unread post by Guest » Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:31 pm

5solasmom wrote:I am just about ready to purchase Adventures for my 2nd grader, however, I am not planning to follow the language and math suggestions in the MFW program. I'm just wondering if that is at all a problem. I know MFW has the lessons all preplanned for mom. Does anyone else use other sources for these subjects and if so, is it problematic or does it not matter?
Hello! We are in our 9th week of Adventures. The weekly grid simply says MATH in a box for the day, for you to write in your own.

For language, they recommend PLL, and tell you how to use it, but as in the Math, they have a box labeled LANGUAGE and you can write in your own plans.

So, from my viewpoint, you would be just fine adding or substituting whatever you like.

Hope that helps!

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:59 pm

Dawn,

I will let you know that the Hazell's have chosen L.Arts and math programs that are effective but not time consuming so the time of 2-3 hours a day that they say it will take to finish the program takes in to account the time that has been set aside for their L.Arts and math suggestions. The last poster is absolutely right that the rest of the program does not hinge on you using their suggestions it just may take a little more time.

Just a note too, Singapore does have separate lesson plans provided by MFW, again if you choose to use it. Otherwise you may use whichever program you choose.

I hope this helps you as you make your plans to use Adventures in MFW.
Blessings,
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:31 am

5solasmom wrote:Thanks! :)

Would you mind telling me about how long it takes for you to do the Adventures each day? We've already started our school year and my 7yo is taking about 1.5-2 hours a day with the other subjects. And...how do you like it?
Our Singapore lessons take about 30 minutes on average. There are days it is shorter and ocassionally we have a lesson they are struggling with so it might take longer.

For PLL I would say 10-15 minutes. The lessons can be done orally or written. I really appreciate the flexibility since my 3rd grader does not enjoy writing.

The Hazells have set this up so you can use your favorites. We were using a different Math curriculum at the beginning of the year, but switched to Singapore, because we thought it would be an improvement over what we were using. We started using their language arts recommendations last Spring and have been happy with the selection.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Unread post by Guest » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi! I'm going to use Adventures next year and use alternative math and LA you mentioned. The way MFW is laid out, this is so "do-able".

Donna T.

la and math

Unread post by Donna T. » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:29 pm

We are also still in MFW First. I am adding to it and when we get to Adventures, I plan to try another math and the spelling book that is recommended by MFW. This has been my plan all along...

EXCEPT...

the more I get into MFW, the more pleased I am with it and the more interest I have in trying out their suggestions of Singapore and Primary Language Lessons. I have PLL and it does look good.

So, I guess I'm a bit undecided now. I want a math program that is very fact oriented and I don't know enough about Singapore to know if it is... all I ever hear about it is that it is all about mental math and conceptualizing math. I really wish I could get it all in front of me and then make a decision.

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:21 am

Donna,

We are using Singapore for the first time this year and I moved from a very fact based, as you referred to it, mastery curriculum. Looking back I guess that is what I wanted too and I did like the way that this other curriculum also introduced new concepts; this is also an important part of any curriculum. What was missing was higher thinking in using these facts. I had been using the same math curriculum for 6 years so I am not moved easily. At this point after 8 weeks I can say that so far we are pleased with what we are seeing.

I realized after a few years of testing as well as just how my kids would use or think about math that they needed to take it to the next level if they were going to be able to really use the math and be prepared for translating it into use in the sciences.

Singapore does not review facts over and over because it assumes a teacher is doing that with either flash cards or some other way like a computer program. MFW also sells the math windows for this purpose as well. The program DOES use the facts a lot but just doesn't hammer them. I found even with my mastery based more fact based program that I still had to do that anyway.

It does do a great job of helping kids understand what the facts are about and being able to understand the concept of say place value, which is the core of math.

We also like it because it is not time consuming. My kids finish in 45 minutes. I spend no more than 15 in the teaching text with them.

I notice that you are using MFW 1. Are you doing the math from there? It is very thorough, giving an excellent foundation in math concepts. I learned the hard way with my first one. If they do not understand a concept in a concrete way first, then memorizing facts means little to them. Anyway I was not so fortunate to know of MFW when we first started out but would use it completely as written given the chance to do it all over again.

Happy hunting,
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Questions about Adventures and Beyond

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 20, 2008 11:34 pm

shera wrote:I have looked at some of the sample lessons for adventures and CTG and I have come up with a few questions. On the schedule it lists math, spelling. language arts but it is blank. Are these actually scheduled someplace or do I need to figure out what pgs need to be done? Of course this is assuming I am using MFW's recommendations.

Thanks
Sarah
Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:27 pm
Sarah,
Because each child will be in an individual level of language arts and math and move at individual paces in those subjects it is not realistic to schedule those out in the MFW TM.

MFW Language Arts recommendations and what is and isn’t there in the TM and materials themselves.
Spelling Power - You might have a student who is in Level B of spelling Power, and another student in Level E. And it might take each of them more than 2 days to work through a lesson in SP. You move at the student’s pace in Spelling Power. Once you use SP it will be obvious what the next day’s lesson is and you just move forward. It is not a worksheet based program. The SP book itself has all of that information and even little charts if you want to keep really good records of progress on multiple students through multiple levels over the years. So you won’t be left completely on your own to figure it out.

PLL - in the front of the TM, it gives you the break down that lessons 1-82 are “2nd grade” lesson 83-164 are 3rd grade. PLL is scheduled 3 times per week over the course of the year. Some lessons may take more than one day. And/or you might have a cushion of extra days if needed. Just move to the next lesson. Same thing with ILL. Not really much to figure out on those plans.

For 2nd grade spelling, Spelling by Sound and Structure - yes, it is mentioned in the MFW TM’s how to do that. Basically one unit lesson per week in this workbook based program. It’s is explained more in the TM.

All in One English – no guidance is provided. Just pick it up and go through it. Workbook based. Same with Applications of Grammar.

Things like Total Language Plus literature guides – have their own schedule written in each guide (that’s suggested in 7th and 8th graders – you don’t have to worry about that right now)

Math:
Singapore Math - if you buy from MFW, they will include a daily check list Lesson plan guide for each book and each level. Again, the blank grids assume more than one child and therefore more than one book. Also, not all children will start at the same book number in Singapore. That’s why the blanks have to be there.

Saxon Math (in jr. and sr. high) – In my Saxon Alg. ½ book it mentions a suggested route for pacing. [added 5/08: MFW now has lesson plans for Saxon Math.]

-crystal

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:28 am

Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:11 am

Just a thought...While no curriculum, math/LA program, etc., is 'one size fits all,' I went with the MFW suggestions because someone else (MFW) had looked at everything out there & determined that these materials were, at the very least, good; and in their opinion, the best of what's available. We decided to go with these suggestions and see if they worked for us & supplied what we needed. For us, it has been very positive. Following Marie's suggestions, they've been very easy to use & fit in to the schedule. If at some point these suggestions no longer work for us, I will then enter the fray of looking at other options & asking for opinions of the various products. While it may not be the approach for everyone, it's been ours & the result has been very positive & very peaceful for everyone - students & teacher. :)

Lucy

CtoG & traditional textbooks

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:28 pm

Daisy wrote:I'd like to have an honest opinion about the doableness of this course of study.

Creation to Greeks for my 2nd grader and 5th grader. CLE Language Arts for my 2nd grader because he is a boy and frankly just wants to be done. He hates any kind of handwriting but NEEDS it. CLE is all in one book and he can see exactly what he has to accomplish. I'm worried I'd be too lax with PLL (which I do own).

Is R&S English & Spelling, plus CLE Reading going to be too much for my 5th grader? Should I not do the CLE reading? We've used R&S English all along and I hate to switch. Language Arts comes easy for our family. DD can diagram a sentence in her sleep. Both kids are reading probably 2 years above their grade level.

I love PLL and ILL. I mean I LOVE THEM. We did ILL for about 6 weeks with my DD. She enjoyed doing ILL. It just seemed so light. It was easy. My husband is a public school teacher and I think we are both just stuck in the traditional rut. I'm known for trying to do too much. If it was doable I'd have my DD doing both ILL and R&S English. How nuts is that. LOL.

Right now, getting two kiddos through CLE Math and R&S Language Arts is taking probably about 90 minutes for my first grader and 2-2.5 hours from my 4th grader (CLE - 1 hr; R&S English 20 min; Reading 30 min; Spelling 20 min.).

I don't want to do so much that CtoG becomes a burden but I don't want to give up all our R&S and CLE either. I'm driving myself crazy over this.
Hi Daisy,
First of all CTG will be very doable with both of your kids. There are great library books for each level and fun hands on projects throughout different subjects. One of our favorite parts was doing some of the Biblical feast together as a family. We did not do them all, but enjoyed and were very blessed by the ones we did.

As far as your kids math and language arts I am wondering how much time it takes them. If your kids are reading well do you need a reading program or could you just have them read good books at their level (kind of the same thought as RB)? The book basket books will have a few books you may choose as readers as well as a list of good classics in the back of the T.M. . There will be vocabulary in English From the Roots Up and I found my kids learned lots of new words by listening to read alouds too. My kids also learned vocabulary from Ill. Not trying to push that program, I just know that was another thing I liked about it.

Lucy

Julie in MN

Re: CtoG & traditional textbooks

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:40 pm

I just had a couple of thoughts to add. What I do when I start a new year (or restart in the middle) is to make goals for my kids. Kids can't study everything all the time. With goals, I can then evaluate the materials according to whether they are needed or not at this time.

For instance, if your kids are advanced readers, then spelling programs per se may not be of any benefit to them. Or, since you are their "personal tutor," you may not need a formal reading program quizzing them on their comprehension. Again, this would depend on the goals you have assessed for them this year.

Best wishes as you agonize!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi, Daisy! :-) I would toss the CLE Reading for a while. You've done enough. Seriously. You can go back to it at a later time if you want to. MFW has older kids doing the Progeny Press study guides in 7th & 8th grade, so you could go back to CLE at that time if you don't want to try the PP guides.

I also want to comment on one other thing while I'm here. Okay, maybe two. ;)
I had planned on CLE Language Arts for my 2nd grader because he is a boy and frankly just wants to be done. He hates any kind of handwriting but NEEDS it. CLE is all in one book and he can see exactly what he has to accomplish. I'm worried I'd be too lax with PLL (which I do own).
My now-10yo REALLY struggled with PLL when we first started it because she struggles with fine motor skills and language arts in general. Her attention span is very short, she has trouble concentrating, her abstract thinking skills are a little on the "slow" end... PLL just didn't seem like a good fit at ALL. We dropped it for a while.... but I wasn't seeing much progress with any of those worksheets I had her doing, either. I noticed that she would just hurriedly fill in the blanks, toss the book aside, and run off while exclaiming "I'm done!" When I checked her work, it was done VERY haphazardly. Oh, she was done alright! Done filling in the blanks. But what had she learned? Had she done her work neatly and carefully? Did she think about or even *know* what she was doing? No.

I realized that PLL had forced her to *think* about her responses. Even though it was difficult for her, it was training her. We did some of the exercises orally, but she still had to observe and think about her responses. On the ones that she had to write out, she had to really pay attention in order to get it down on paper correctly. I remember repeating to her often, "Copywork should never have a mistake." But she totally lost those skills when I allowed her to go back to worksheets. In summary, PLL may actually be a better choice for your son than you think. :)

Also, if you stick to the grid in the MFW TM, you won't get "too lax" because PLL is written in there for you to remember. !?
We've used R&S English all along and I hate to switch. She enjoyed doing ILL (when we were doing it) but I fell back on my traditional upbringing. Language Arts comes easy for our family. DD can diagram a sentence in her sleep. Both kids are reading probably 2 years above their grade level.
Then why make her keep doing R&S English year after year if she already KNOWS it? Is it really necessary? Or is it just a comfort zone for you? ;) Maybe you could take a break from it for a year or two, and then go back to R&S for junior high to refresh and solidify those skills before starting high school work. Maybe? You say she enjoyed ILL... why not take it easy and let her do just that for one year? You might find yourself pleasantly surprised.

Now that I have a 7th grader who's done amazingly well this year, despite my own inconsistencies through the years, I'm convinced that this Charlotte Mason stuff really does work. 8)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Daisy wrote:You all have given me a lot to think about.

I so want to have the time to really delve into the Scriptures, to have our focus be where it needs to be instead of checking off boxes. Part of why I want to go back to MFW (we didn't use it this year) is because my son dislikes school. He loved it up until this year. Now he moans and groans at everything. BUT he is 7yo and still trying to remember how to form each letter. I do see improvement when I really ride his rear but his motivation isn't there.

Does that make sense?
Makes total sense and I'll tell you that we've had a very similar experience here. This has been a tough year for us... but MFW remains our "stability". I notice a big difference (to the negative) when we're NOT doing MFW. Each element of MFW is very deliberate in its plan and purpose... right down to the math and LA. ;)

I'll spare the details, but I just realized this week how much my very emotional 13yo had come to depend on MFW as being a regular part of our "life". It's not just academics to her, Daisy. It's part of our family. That's something to think about.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

LA choices

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:14 pm

RB wrote:I'm going to ask a loaded question. Sorry :~

Do you think the MFW Language Arts choices work well for every child, every learning style, every set of strengths/weaknesses?

Here's why I ask. I have been in language arts angst for the past 2 years. Had been happy with PLL. Decided to try Rod and Staff. Went back to ILL, SP, WS this fall. Now we have one doing AAS, two doing SP, two doing FLL, one doing PLL.

We are spending kind of a lot of time on all this, and I feel like a catering company. I've always reminded my kids, when they don't like something we are serving to eat, that they can't always have their favorites. We are a family, not a restaurant. Now I feel like I'm taking all this time researching LA materials, trying to find what will fit each one best, and perhaps we should have just stuck with the MFW recommendations.

We've had some similar ups and downs with Singapore Math but have stuck with it for 4 years, and now we are starting to see the fruit. It doesn't always make everyone happy, but they are learning steadily.
that is a loaded question. I like it though.

I have 3 very different children.
Oldest - been described to me as an "amazing" "dream" child to teach. okay? She's a bookworm. school kind of loving kid.
Middle gal: daydreamer, average abilities. sweet heart. needs visual supports to lock in info and stay awake and attentive
youngest - autism spectrum! can we just say language is her weakness and defines her disabilities?

Why then with 3 kiddos like that, can I use MFW language arts recommendations?

because I don't believe in finding individual language arts to cater to their strengths.
WS made my oldest "have to write something." I think Julie in MN can tell something worked with my dd by high school. If someone told me in 4th grade, she'd write like she does, I would have fainted.

PLL - oh my goodness..... it's even usable with my autistic kid!?

I think that I can be a flexible teacher and use MFW recommendations for all of my kids. I have learned to present information in ways that cater to their unique learning style and strengths, and builds up their weaknesses. But I use curriculum to tell me what to teach them that day. It's a subtle difference, but did it make sense?

that's just my very honest story.

keep asking.

-crystal

annaz

Re: LA choices

Unread post by annaz » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Well, now Crystal is way, way more experience than me. And I only have one kid. But one thing that I do know is that some kids don't do well with a spiral-ish sort of learning. My dd needs a weeks worth of the same subject or subject connect to get it, then we can move on to something new and do reviews. I find ILL is spiral. But if you really read it, it does follow an order, a pattern. So in that sense, it's not spiral per se.

On the other hand, something more mastery, like R&S to me is like kicking a dead horse. Too much of one thing for way too long. It becomes frustrating for kids who don't get it. They need a break. My dd would just say, "MOM! I get it already! LOL! or if she didn't get it, more of the same wasn't going to help.

I'm of the mind that if you can teach it to fit your student that would be better than finding a different program for each child. Or find a program more middle of the road that would cater to everyone. That way you can change it up per student but still stay on track.

I just think anything works depending on how much you adjust it for your child or whether your willing to adjust it. But I do know, if mamma ain't happy and excited, nobody else is either.

Just food for thought.

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:32 pm

No,I don't think that MFW LA recommendations work well for every child, every learning style, every set of strengths and weaknesses. It would be amazing to have such a product!

I do think the MFW LA recommendations are solid recommendations. I could make them work for my kid. I'm glad I don't have to. Subtle difference indeed!

I don't necessary want to find an individual LA to cater to their strengths but I don't want tears and I don't want to spend a great deal of time and effort adapting a product if I can find something else that has already done the work for me. That's just me.

In your case, I'd pick a path and stick with it. Either stick with the PLL/ILL or do FLL/WWE path with each child. It is harder to get to the "fruit" if you flip back and forth between two very different programs. IMHO.

One of the pros of MFW LA recommendation is cost effectiveness! Personally I prefer to use 1 spelling program for the whole family, 1 grammar resource, etc. It makes it easier for me to teach and keeps cost down.

I think the bigger question is.....How is it working for the child? If it's working don't change it! If the particular line up you are using with each child is working then stick with it for the long haul.

HTH
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Metairie

Unread post by Metairie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

cbollin wrote: Why then with 3 kiddos like that, can I use MFW language arts recommendations?

because I don't believe in finding individual language arts to cater to their strengths.
Much wisdom! The more I just concentrate on teaching and not trying to find something perfectly for her, the better my daughter seems to do.
Cindie, wife to Gary for 18 years, mom to girls,
Juliette MFW 1st grade Adv (01/04)
Jordan MFW K and Adv tag-a-long (07/06)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Metairie wrote:Much wisdom! The more I just concentrate on teaching and not trying to find something perfectly for her, the better my daughter seems to do.
Well, I guess we're all just going to quote one another today :) But I like this.

I work in a tutoring center where everyone uses the same materials. I've had kids in public schools where everyone uses the same materials. When I brought my kids home to school, I figured I'd have to use those materials. The difference, I imagined, wouldn't be the materials but would just be that I was there to tutor them to their needs. Little did I know that researching materials could become a full-time job! I still think the tutoring is more important than the materials. But as inexperienced new teachers, it's nice to have lots of tools, isn't it?

Julie

P.S.
cbollin wrote: I think Julie in MN can tell something worked with my dd by high school. If someone told me in 4th grade, she'd write like she does, I would have fainted.
Yes, I witnessed Crystal's oldest's writing on her Proverbs project this week -- the kids had a choice of 3 projects and she did -- ALL 3!!

Crystal and I are also poster children for how the same thing can be used with different kids. She has an oldest girl and I have a waaaay youngest boy -- totally different kids, using the same things, sometimes in different ways, and growing up over the years.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

RB

Unread post by RB » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:46 am

This is all great food for thought, thanks!

Ultimately I need to stop thinking there is a magical, perfect LA.

Hmm...
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

mamacastle2

Unread post by mamacastle2 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:50 pm

RB wrote:We are spending kind of a lot of time on all this, and I feel like a catering company. I've always reminded my kids, when they don't like something we are serving to eat, that they can't always have their favorites. We are a family, not a restaurant. Now I feel like I'm taking all this time researching LA materials, trying to find what will fit each one best, and perhaps we should have just stuck with the MFW recommendations.
I think finding materials that fit the particular learning styles of my children is a good thing. However, like the wisdom in the above quote, I've realized that teaching to 5 different preferences (and perhaps more one day) does not suit me and may actually serve to overwhelm me. Right now while only teaching 3, I've realized that finding middle ground is important; what can we use that is proven, works for most of us most of the time, is cost effective, useful for more than one student, etc.? Right now, MFW LA choices have been working. I took a detour with my oldest daughter when she needed something extra for spelling. But I just can't imagine each child having their own LA program. For me, it would be a little like re-inventing the wheel every time.
Wendy B. wrote:I don't necessary want to find an individual LA to cater to their strengths but I don't want tears and I don't want to spend a great deal of time and effort adapting a product if I can find something else that has already done the work for me. That's just me.
This is also very wise. I've never owned a product that I haven't adapted somewhat, if only by typing some pages so they are just fill-in-the-blank instead of re-write, skipping some exercises, etc. So when I talk about re-inventing the wheel, what I mean is that once I know a program and have tweaked it as needed to suit the learning style of a particular kid, I don't want to change it and start with a new product (and its learning curve) if I don't absolutely have to.
cbollin wrote:I have learned to present information in ways that cater to their unique learning style and strengths, and builds up their weaknesses.
I think this is key. Back in the beginning homeschool days, there were not a lot of choices and parents used what they had and a lot of their work is what we're buying up now. We can debate curricula day in and day out, but I think any program will work and that sometimes it's all in the presentation. And sometimes it's character and discipline. And sometimes it really is time to change.

How's that for a non-answer? :-)
Jeanne
Wife to Brody
Mother to DD 10, DS 7, DD 5, DS 3, DD 1
MFW User Since 2007: MFW 1st, Adv., ECC, CTG
2011-2012 - RTR & MFWK

Buttercup78

Do you use all of MFW?

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Tue May 01, 2012 10:10 am

albanyaloe wrote:Hi again
I have a 10 yo, 8 yo and 5 yo. I'm thinking about ECC.

I'd like to know how many of you use MFW with all the grade resources that MFW suggests? By this, I don't mean the book box (? hope I've got the right name) I mean do you use their Math and LA and Spelling suggestions? If you do use it as suggested, how do you find it? Do you like the recommended suggestions? If you have multiple children, dothose subjects require intensive teacher involvement to teach?
Do your children retain what they learn? I am well aware that it can appear that workbooks covering many aspects cover a lot in a year, but have found my children retain little of what was taught.

It seems amazing that everything is covered by MFW, by just adding the other suggestions and to the multi-age cycle.

Thanks in advance,
Lindy
We have done K, 1st, Adventures and currently ECC. Last year we started with the MFW recommendations of PLL for language and Singapore for math. I have found that children are different [big revelation, huh? :-) ] PLL did not go well with my son (then 8 ) so we switched to something else, then to another something else. Singapore worked well until this year, but I did not concentrate on math drills with him enough.

This year my daughter is doing Singapore and it's fine for her. We did not do PLL because she did R&S last year and I wanted to continue it.

All that said, I have never had the desire to change anything else. MFW is awesome. I spent 7 years piecing together curriculum for my older son and am so glad I have found MFW for my younger ones! It is so adaptable to the individual needs of the child. It is easy to adapt for my daughter who loves to write, draw and color and my son who doesn't like writing or coloring. They do the same assignments but differently, according to their own way.

We look forward to starting CTG in August with the 9 and 7yo and starting K for the 5yo!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

lisaha

Re: Do you use all of MFW?

Unread post by lisaha » Tue May 01, 2012 10:43 am

I use PLL and ILL with Queens homeschool LA's and spelling, but Queens is similar to PLL and ILL-just with a bit more grammer labling. ;) I also use Horizons for math bc I just want to do math the way I was taught! haha! ;)

MFW as a whole is very easy to use, no planning ahead, just open and go! They do tell you ahead of time if you need a supplies for art projects, if I have the supplies I have done the projects and if I don't, I don't do the projects, but the program is so full that we never felt like we missed anything. The parents do read the books to the children, but it is a fun, cuddly time on the couch for us and the books are mostly fun and interesting. My children have remembered a lot from the interesting books, and often have asked for me to read ahead (which if time permits I do). Plus after we are done they reread most of the books on their own for fun bc they were so good! :) Now for the book basket, when I get to the library I pick up some good books that go along with the subjects, when I don't get to the library, I just have enough books in our house that the children just look at whatever we have on the shelf. We don't always have library books, but once again, the books in MFW are so full that they do fine without it.

The best part is they stopped being burnt out and disliking school, they ENJOYED MFW, and they relearned how to love to learn, which in the afternoons they are often doing things for fun on their own that involve looking up information, reading books for information for fun, doing their own science experiments for fun and on their own, art projects, reenactments, building in the shop, nature walks and notebooks, journals ex.... It's awesome when they are motivated to learn for fun! Plus I do love the strong Biblical point of view in MFW, bc Jesus is first in our homeschool.
Lisa
Abigail 11
Joshua 8
James 6
Toby 4
Levi 3
Emma Grace 1

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue May 01, 2012 10:46 am

I use everything but Spelling Power, but I did use it for a while. (Two dyslexic kids, so I use All About Spelling.) I used to use Math-U-See, but switched to Singapore in the middle of my dd's 3rd grade year. Even though it is more challenging (for the both of us), it has carried over to testing scores (required by my state every 2 years). Oldest has done fine on all the standardized tests, just not "genius" - but 60th percentile or greater.

It works for us. As I have 2 dyslexic kids, many things are more teacher intensive for us than perhaps a "normal" family, but the suggestions work well for us.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue May 01, 2012 8:07 pm

I use Singapore for math, and I have found that my boys are learning math and retain it over the summer break without any review needed in the fall.

This is our first year with Language Arts for 2nd. I am using PLL and like it very much. I think what it is teaching is valuable. I did add Rod and Staff grammar to it, but that is a personal preference. My ds8 seems to be retaining both very well, but we haven't had a summer break yet so I don't completely know yet. I did decide to do All About Spelling instead of Rod and Staff spelling; I like the way it builds the spelling words with spelling rules tied into each list.

We also started Spanish, at MFW's recommendation, for 2nd grade. I am VERY glad that we did. Rosetta Stone has been a wonderful program for this age group. I plan to start my 2nd son next year for 2nd grade foreign language.

Am I forgetting any recommendations? So far they have all been wonderful; except for the spelling with R&S which was too much how I learned spelling for me to use it.

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Wed May 02, 2012 12:44 am

We did ECC last year with MFW K & this year CTG with MFW 1st. I am using Singapore & ILL for my son & did use Spelling Power last year & 1/2 of this year. I switched spelling only because he just LOVED his friends workbook program "A reason for spelling". It's got some similarities to SP though, which I liked fine, but he missed the bright cute workbooks he'd gotten used too from public school. Otherwise - we are going with all of their recommendations and I will still be using Spelling Power again as he finishes A Reason for Spelling. Also - I still use the activity / task cards for spelling power and create a word bank of the words he's missed for him to use when we choose an activity from that box now and then.

For my dd, she will be doing RTR next year and I have already purchased PLL and Spelling by Sound & Structure & Singapore math for her - so she will be going completely with the recommends from MFW. I have really seen that their recommends are working well and I plan to stick with them except for spelling (which is temporary, reason for spelling only goes through the 6th grade & we used SP until the 2nd semester of 5th grade).
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Wed May 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies. That was very helpful. I have been browsing the board and learning more all the time.
Thank you again,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!