Family - What does "tagging along" look like in practice?

3froggies

Re: Changing from HOD to MFW??? Anybody???

Unread post by 3froggies » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:49 am

RB wrote:Last summer, before beginning CtG, I wrote out simple goals for each child. That made all the difference. Once I knew what I hoped each child would get from CtG it seemed so easy to translate that into the day to day. It was OK to help my 2nd grader write words on maps, but my 4th and 5th graders needed to complete maps on their own. I expected my 5th grader to work independently on written summaries, but at the beginning I had my 4th grader narrate and then copy.
What a great idea! We also did ECC when my kids were younger, did HOD, and are now considering going back to MFW for your same reasons. Thanks for sharing your experience.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:20 am

I have some thoughts on the ECC, multi age... when you have oldest around 3rd grade.... (my oldest did ECC in 2nd grade because ADV had not yet been written and I was over teaching her until around south america)

Get a marker. where it says "advanced assigned" - mark it out. (or whatever you need to do to ignore it and go, eh, ok )
Where Marie's intro notes say do this, don't do that with X and Y grades.... take it seriously.

Focus on the activities. Use the picture atlas books for exposure to the material (set pics out as decorations of the continent you are studying)
If you "have" to to the worksheets -- do them with the child to help them learn how to cross reference materials. How to read the map and find it on another piece of paper is a good skill to have around. But don't focus on "oh no.. .. they have to do all of these kinds of sheets"

enjoy the music cd
enjoy the crafts.
enjoy the science activities. don't worry on the full text. They aren't going to learn everything in that book (POE), but they will learn something and know more than they did at the beginning of the year.

with POE... ok.. that book is multilevel, but I think has a learning curve for those who have oldest in 3rd grade... the first chapters can be crazy on someone who is new to multi level so here are some notes
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... POE#p75220

Yes, I hear it often that going from narrow age range (ADV) to multi age (ECC) means a learning curve of what to ignore in the manual. But on the other hand, if one has done a program that has a more specific age range (like HOD, or even MFW ADV), then you already have a sense of what is enough for 2nd grader.... add just a little more for a 3rd grader... gradually add a bit more in 4th ....

Remember, start your 3rd grade year pretty much at the same level that you ended your 2nd grade year.... begin to slow build.

just random thoughts from years of teaching. I'm going back to my coffee and gettin' ready for the yard work today. and learn some more exercise routines to change my set, and maybe get some swimming done instead of any of that.

-crystal

RB

Unread post by RB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:13 am

abrightmom wrote: If you were to go back would you apply your CTG goal setting method to ECC? Any tips or recommendations for me as I am pondering this plan (ECC and K)? I too am a little overwhelmed with a multi-teaching program and wonder if I'll experience some "shock" after using and loving Adventures.
Hi Katrina,
Yes, I would absolutely do the same thing with ECC that I did with CtG. I plan to do it with RtR this coming year, too. I am a list-maker by nature, and I do better when I know what we are working toward. (I think there are some parents who just instinctively do this.) It doesn't need to be fancy, just a few phrases for each child about what you hope they will learn.

I'm going to cut and paste a few thoughts about ECC with younger age range that I learned along the way:

My girls were 7 and 8 when we started ECC. The thing I wish I really knew then (that I know now) is that when doing ECC with 2nd and 3rd graders you really do get to focus on all the super-fun stuff without any guilt!!! We did all the things we loved (cooking projects, amazing read-alouds, art, music, wonderful book basket books, fiestas/parties). I didn't understand that you really don't need to do those geography research packets with 3rd grade and under. I think it would have been even more enjoyable if I'd enjoyed this freedom. (Of course you might have an 8 year old who is itching to do research packets, and that's OK, too )

After our ECC year I read some creative ideas for notebooking with the younger ages, instead of those packets...things like keeping a "travel journal" or making country collages. My girls would have loved doing some fun notebooking pages like that here and there. They did really enjoy the vocabulary cards and coloring pages and other notebooking things that were suggested in the manual.

Keep in mind that the first 2 weeks of ECC are really different than the rest, with longer days. They are important weeks though, so it might be worth looking at the manual before you start school to make sure you have a good plan for making them enjoyable.

Also, someone on this board recommended a book called "Our World" by Millie Miller, which has a 2 page spread for most of the countries studies in ECC. This was a great book for 2nd/3rd graders and I often summarized the Illustrated World Atlas readings and then added "Our World" which seemed to work well. Our library had those book basket videos about families around the world, and they were a huge hit in our home. Great for the younger ages.

Also the Geography Game is super fun, especially with M&Ms (or something similar)!

Postby RB » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:57 am
I had another thought...
When we switched to HOD I thought we wouldn't have to tweak much at all. The lesson plans are so detailed and it is written for a narrow age range. Funny thing, though, was that I actually found that there was tweaking needed. It didn't always fit perfectly, so I adjusted assignments or expectations here and there.

Also, my kids REALLY missed book basket, so I started searching for books that went along with the history they were studying and ordering them from ILL. Then, I started moving some of the "read-alouds" to better correspond to the history topics. Then my youngest didn't want to miss those read-alouds, so he ended up joining in for much of the history his sisters were doing in addition to his own. There were some American History topics that all 3 were really interested in (Great Depression, WW 2) that were not covered at all in HOD Bigger Hearts, so we ended up speeding through parts to give us the last 6 weeks to study these topics. By that time, our history looked much more like MFW with history readings, notebooking, book basket and connected read-alouds. The problem was that I couldn't do it nearly as well as Marie Hazell, and it took quite a bit of time.

I am not writing this to disparage HOD, because I think it is a very good program. Some families have children spaced far apart or really don't want a "one room schoolhouse". But if you do want multi-age teaching that will unite your family, a biblical worldview, great books, lesson plans that offer some degree of flexibility, and manageable hand-on projects...MFW might just be a great long-term fit. It is for us.
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:46 pm

RB wrote:By that time, our history looked much more like MFW with history readings, notebooking, book basket and connected read-alouds. The problem was that I couldn't do it nearly as well as Marie Hazell, and it took quite a bit of time.
This is what has already happened in our house!! 8[] I already made my middle guy cry because I told him he couldn't join his older brother for something because "it's not on your schedule" (and I don't want him doing the next program now if he's going to do it next year...). That's not a reason not to use HOD of course but my kiddos do enjoy learning together. :-)
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

Missy OH

Unread post by Missy OH » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:23 am

When we tried HOD, my kids wanted to do each other's work, too. It took a very long time and we hardly ever made it through a whole day on the schedule. HOD is a sweet curriculum, but we enjoy MFW so much more as a family. I much prefer MFW's Bible and science choices. My kids look forward to bookbasket. I like the fact that the history projects in MFW don't take an entire week to do. :) I also enjoy not being overwhelmed with read alouds. MFW leaves room to choose a few of your own read alouds, but I usually let myself "rest" or if I'm behind I can catch-up during those breaks.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:16 am

abrightmom wrote:I took a peek at some other threads and got REALLY excited when I read that the Bible is THE main spine for CTG (reading through so much of the OT thrills me), the memory work that is done (books of OT, 10 commandments, other), the use of Victor, etc. It is how I'd like to study and comes with a lovely schedule to boot. I do appreciate Streams for myself and could see asking my older student (6th grade and up) to read it. The text is excellent.
Maybe you've already seen this, but here's a bunch of links for comparing MFW to other curriculum styles:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4098
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:10 pm

Well, we went to our homeschool convention in Oregon yesterday and walked out with ECC and MFW K..... :) Admittedly, I grieved the "loss" of HOD for this year but I know that MFW is a GREAT fit for my family in so many ways. It's been 100% successful here so far. DH was so kind....he felt very strongly that MFW was the right choice for this school year. He perused the guides and the materials and said, "This is GREAT." :-) I am nervously excited....I've always longed to use ECC. I can't believe it's our turn.... Packing up the HOD materials is going to be tough but I am really trusting the Lord on this one....I do believe He has chosen this path for me and I've just been fighting it for a variety of reasons.

Okay world, here we come! :-)
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:33 pm

As I read through these posts, I feel that I must share this: God did not create schools or little individual pockets for children to be raised in. He created FAMILIES! When we school our children together, they get the benefit of learning from one another. The oldest can practice what he's learned by helping the youngest through new territory. Likewise, that young child receives help and wisdom from those who are older. I know that our children all have specific needs, but learning and sharing stories about the past or experiencing science as a family should not keep us from providing plenty of time to focus on skills. MFW is so doable--even the upper years of the "family cycle"! Individual one on one time is still possible-- especially during math and language arts lessons.
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

melissamomof3girls

Unread post by melissamomof3girls » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:49 pm

I seriously considered switching for this upcoming year. I spent at least a month, maybe two this spring praying about this and pouring over articles and reading and re-reading sample lesson plans. I finally decided MFW really does have what *we* need. We have done K, 1st, and 2nd. This year my 2nd and 3rd graders will be doing ECC. I couldn't be more excited. Like you, the cycle and bringing kids together in MFW is exactly what we need.

I am so excited to teach my children about missions and other countries and this huge lost world we live in. I think it is going to be an amazing year of growth for us, Lord-willing.

I wish the best to you as you decide what is best for your family. Best thing is, if you do switch MFW this year and find that it doesn't work right for you, you can always switch back. There's no harm done. :)

Blessings,
Melissa
Melissa
DD1 ~14
DD2 ~ 12
DD3 ~ 10
DS1 ~ 7
DD4 ~ 3

Looking forward to Exp to 1850 this fall :)

TriciaMR

Younger children missing important stuff?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri May 18, 2012 2:53 pm

aegossett wrote:Hi -- My question is that I feel like my 2nd born, going into 3rd grade now, has missed out on some of the important things my 1st born learned. One thing that sticks out is US geography. Granted, she is not map-minded like son, but she has no clue about where the states are. And now we're about to start C to G, so I am thinking, when is she going to learn this? Do I need to do a separate US unit during the summer with her? I feel that way about some of the science my oldest did in 1st and 2nd as well.... birds, nature, etc. Has anyone else ever felt this way? I have 3 more kids coming up behind these oldest two as well...

Thanks for any input!
Anna
Anna,

She'll get a review of US geography when you do Explorers to 1850, and 1850 to Modern times.

Ideas for what to do now... Start with your neighborhood and then work your way out. Do your state, neighboring states, and then the whole U.S. You can probably find some cheap things at Target or the Dollar Tree that have maps. Or, the next time you take a trip, show her the route you will take on the map.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: Younger children missing important stuff?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri May 18, 2012 3:29 pm

When my oldest went through those early years, the ADV program had not yet been written. We did ECC in 2nd grade (our first year in MFW), then CTG... and moved along.
I taught very limited formal US history and geography to her. We did a lot of it with field trips. We have grandparents in other states. So that was important to know those.
A cute little placemat with the states was enough. Talking about going to other states and showing pictures - tourist brochures.. was plenty.

When my middle gal was in 2nd grade, it turned out that we were in EX1850, so it worked out.

I found this cute little fun picture book at the library with an audio CD - Scrambled States of America. We loved the silly humor in there. Then got the game for it. (rainbow resource sells it). We played that just for fun. So add that to your fun night stuff.

Birds and nature study? you can do that in CTG science with nature walks. pencil in an optional weekly nature walk. go to state parks, local parks, backyard.

make it about field trips, fun, life.

-crystal

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Fri May 18, 2012 3:54 pm

Anna, I can't really answer you about the MFW specifically, as I am a newbie. But I can identify with what you are saying. I think we often feel our second, third, fourth .... child has "missed" something that the first born covered in depth so much younger. And they probably have missed some things. But for the things they've "missed", we are often not aware of the many, many things they have gained (that our first borns did not) because of living with siblings, seeing them "do school", being read to by siblings etc. I know all children are different, but my third child has really learned so much, purely by observing her siblings. I think we need to remember those things too.

I have given up getting "hung up" about the so called "gaps" in Social studies and sciences. To me, it doesn't really matter what you study in which year, so long as the child is mature enough for the work. Stressing about it takes the joy out of unit studies for me. Each child is going to learn topics as we come to them now in our MFW cycle, for some it'll be a repeat, for some, a new topic. I only learned about some things as an adult, and I keep on learning. It's one of the things I love about HS'ing.

Be encouraged!
Regards,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Sun May 20, 2012 12:19 am

My dd is in 1st & this fall will start in the 5 yr cycle for her 1st official year in RTR. She was in kindy during ECC. However - she has picked up some in observing (as I think Lindy said). Also - CTG covers maps really well, but mostly in the portion of Asia & Africa where the history is focused. So for her - I've decided she's going to get very good coverage of maps in the cycle and at the end she's going to round it all out with a year of ECC as an overview of the entire world, whereas my ds got to do ECC 1st.

We still play games with the globe for fun though and when she asks questions related to a place, we always go check the map to find the area. Little things like this, I think, will add up.

I would say enjoy right where you are. Hope that helps a bit.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sun May 20, 2012 10:11 am

I think about these things too. I really like the reminder Lindy gave to also think of all the things our younger kids know that our older children never did. There is value to growing up with siblings, and it is all the younger children have ever known. They learn so much from each other.

USA Geography: My oldest actually knew it when we started ADV. I think my other two do too. Two resources that we used were a United States puzzle that they have done many times. The second was a CD that we played in the car. It was the States and Capitol songs CD by Audio Memory publishing. It always amazes me that they know where all the states are located from that one CD. [Editor's note: MFW uses this resource in 1850MOD]

Another thing to remember though is that we were never taught USA geography until 6th grade. It was in 6th that I had to draw a map, label all the states and capitols, and memorize both. At age 11 this was the easiest thing in the world to do! The requirements have become younger and younger, and it isn't always necessary. I actually learned world geography through my grandparents slides and travel before USA geography in school. Has it impacted me? Probably, but not in a way that I would consider detrimental. Just something to think about.

I hope something I said helped a little.

gratitude

If your younger kids tagged along from the start

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Mom2theteam wrote:I just can't get this question out of my mind. My twins who are 4.5 now have tagged along with my 6.5 year old since K. They have done most activities and lessons with us other than the phonics, handwriting and math. Next year, I will be doing Adv with my oldest and the next 2 will be ready for K. I keep reading that they should do the whole program for their K year (and 1st). However, I'm feeling like we will want to do the phonics and math portions of those programs, but just include them in with my older son for everything else. Is that what most people do or do most people go through the whole program again even though they tagged along the first time?

I know we will use the full program again in the future because I have 2 year olds also and a new baby on the way. None of them have been old enough to really tag along quite yet. I'm thinking the same thing will happen with them. The new baby will end up tagging along with the 2 year olds when they get there. The age gap is the same as above.

What did you do or what are you doing? Thanks for the insight!
I think this thread from Marie will help you a lot. She recommends on it that if younger children have done all of the K activities tagging along that they only do the reading/LA/math portion of the program while they tag along on MFW1 activities, or in your case ADV.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5510

My oldest two are only one grade apart. This means my second born tagged along on MFW1 activities and my second and third born both tagged along on ADV activities last year. When my second born reached MFW1 he did nearly the entire program, and is still doing nearly the entire program since most of it is reading & LA & the Bible history that goes with both. However, many of the activities I have omitted since it wasn't that long since we last did them and he did tag along on them.

Now that my third is starting MFWK I am doing the entire program as written (except for the math) since she was really too young to remember much of it from tagging along.

In your case your twins would probably love tagging along on ADV as much as my 1st and Pre-K enjoyed tagging along on ADV last year. This means that you would do the phonics and math from MFWK, but omit most ~ if not all ~ of the activities.

I thought I would add that I did a few MFW1 projects and MFWK projects this past school year while doing ADV. HOWEVER, ADV was my focus. One of the educational purposes of MFW is family learning and ADV does allow for that purpose. I bought the student sheets for all of my kids ages 4 and older. All 3 of my oldest did the sheets at whatever level they were able for the different sheets. For Bible all 3 of them did the sheets 100%, all 3 colored the history note book pages buy only my 2nd grader wrote the sentences on them, all 3 used the state sheets buy only my 2nd grader finished all of them, etc.

I hope this makes sense!

lea_lpz

Re: If your younger kids tagged along from the start

Unread post by lea_lpz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:53 pm

I had the same question because my dd and ds are only 2 years apart. I spoke with an MFW rep and was advised to use my older child's study the core for both children and then just do the math and phonics for MFW K & 1st if you don't have time run both programs or your younger wants to do what older sib does!

We'll likely use this approach as Adventures will take 3 1/2 hrs. with 1 hr independent work (when younger sib will do math / phonics) and continue with Spanish so as not to exceed a 4 hr school day :)

My 3 year old likes to tag along too! He does everything but her math / phonics sheets. Although he participates in the number jar and does the letter / number for each unit in his HWT Fet Ready for School book as well as does the verbal part of language (like ABC song, letter sounds, etc.). He also has his own preschool workbook (r&s), book (BFIAR), and toys (MFW), that we spen about half an hour on, 4 days a week.
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 am

Mom2theteam wrote: I keep reading that they should do the whole program for their K year (and 1st).
Heather,
:~ I keep reading that with the age gap you have, it doesn't have to be do it all from both.

I know with my family's structure (much larger age gap that you have), it made sense to do bigger program in full, the Kindy (or 1st grade) program as fully as we could with youngest. Many activities were modified and only done in small bits and not full day, all day way that first borns get to do those programs. I fail at using MFW as "family learning". I don't fit that profile of MFW customers that all of the children gather happily and beautifully at the table like they show in their ad last year, where 5 and 4 years old and younger, request to do the same worksheets. Yet somehow in spite of that, we keep using MFW and like it. kwim? giggle..... It's not about "supposed to", it's about getting it done in your real world with your family.

Instead of the "family happily ever after approach", I use MFW in my real world. And in that real world, it means youngest needs her own program, done as fully as we can. She is still around and seeing what big sisters are doing, but really needs her own stuff. She is just now getting to the developmental stage where I can combine a little bit. yeah..

Heather... your children are closer in age, how about you let them use K/1st as phonics, math, language arts and then invite them to join in the fun stuff from ADV. I realize I'm very old school MFW, and can remember when David use to use that phrase "invite them but don't require them" to use science, social studies, crafts, etc from older siblings' program. I realize my ADV manual is ancient, but it has that suggestion in there.... use K/1st as phonics/math/language arts for younger, and join in ADV, which is same idea you have been doing all along. On this forum you will always hear ideas that work for others but will not work for you.

I struggle from time to time with the "supposed to" vs "just gathering a range of ideas". That's why I put that reminder to myself and said it out loud.

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:26 am

I agree with crystal about having them join in for what will be ability appropriate and fun, but not push them to do stuff over their heads. It's a skill you'll need when the 4.5 year olds enter family circle anyhow, right?

Your twins must be winter babies and so that probably makes a difference. My ds is going to be on the younger side birthday wise for the traditional school year, so although he participates in MFW K Bible, read alouds and activities, some activities are over his head and I don't feel he fully grasps or is able to take advantage of all it has to offer. For example, he'll learn the verse for each unit, but doesn't fully grasp the biblical concept or he does his version of art but isn't really capable of doing the arts and crafts independently as assigned. That being said, I feel like in 2 years (maybe even 3) he could repeat the full programs he tagged along with and it would still be fresh for him since he could fully participate.

But, will we have time to do that? Maybe, but probably not. I think we'd have to give some other stuff up to make that feasible, so it would really all depend. We'd either have to wrap stuff up after lunch (and I'd rather not) or give up Spanish. If we could do it all, run both programs, do Spanish, and finish at noon, then perhaps we will go for it, but those 2 things are priorities for me. While they are young, I want the freedom to have unstructured play and the ability to go out and explore during the afternoons as well as be able to participate in extra curriculars without being burnt out with a long school day. That's why we decided to hs in part. Shorter school days and more time forum kids to be kids as well as being able to provide a bilingual education and Christian education, without the $1200 a month price tag (for both to attend private).

Anyway, gathering and planning for one core seems more stream lined kwim? Gathering two different library book topics for read alouds, different art supplies, etc. seems more complicated, no?

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks everyone! I went back and re-read the sticky from Marie on doing K and 1st together, which I know I'm not doing. (I was thinking about it.) I was thinking that was where I got this idea. But,that isn't what she says. :~ Now, I'm not sure where I got that idea from. &) Anyway, it looks like I was wrong, which I'm glad about. I'm glad you all set me straight!

I already do and am planning to keep with the inviting, but not forcing them to join for another few years. But, they want to join. I am thinking that they will do most of the 1st program when they get there because it is so integrated. But, I'm thinking they won't do much of the K other than the phonics/math.

Crystal - You are exactly right about not worrying about what I'm "supposed to do." I do have to do what works for our family in our reality and I have done that. At the same time, I do like to consider advice from those who have come before me and are much more experienced (especially in HS'ing!). I don't think I would have tried to do the program fully, but I did want to at least explore the advice I thought I was hearing. Ha, ha. I appreciate your reminder though that every family is different and we don't have to do things in any particular way. :-)

lea - Yes, my older twins have Dec b-day and my 6 year old is Oct. They are pretty much exactly 2 years apart in grade level. My older started formal K a month before he turned 6, which meant the youngers were only 3 months from turning 4. On top of that, we were moving pretty slow at first because I was learning how to juggle 5 little kids (2 1 year olds and 2 3 year olds) and get school in. It was a rough start. So, by the time we were really rolling, they were 4. I'm actually amazed at how much they remember from the science lessons. Now, we are doing 1st and they are going to be 5 in Dec. I thought hard and prayed about them starting K this year (technically a year early), which would have put them only a year behind in grade level. Academically, they know plenty to start, but I decided they need to work on fine motor skills and mature some. They will start next fall and I think it will be better them and the family.

My 2 year olds' b-days are April. I think that will make a difference and it will be a slightly different situation with them tagging along with the older twins. The new baby is going to be Oct again, but there is a slightly larger gap in age at 30 months instead of 26/27. It amazes me how much a few months makes in maturity level of the pre-school age children. So, we'll see what comes with all of them. I'm assuming at some point, we will be repeating a good portion of K including the science. I'm sure it will be great fun!!

Thanks everyone!!!

(Sorry, long winded as usual.)
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:00 pm

2 1/2 years apart vs 2 years will feel a lot more different:)
Mine are 2 yrs 6 wks apart and I think an extra 6 months would have made it a lot easier!
I also thought of doing K next year with my ds at 4, but decided that although he'd probably catch on academically but maturity wise, he can be goofy, and I don't think he'd enjoy it :(
So we'll probably do K at 5 for him, enless he's not ready, and then we'll wait until he is 6.
His b-day is June 1st, and in my state, the cut off date for preschool will be Sept. 1 by then. So he'll be a young k'er.

Ohmomjacquie

Question about the family cycle...

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:34 am

mshanson3121 wrote:So the Family cycle is a chronological study of history right? So what if your first child is ready for it, but your second child can't start for two more years? Do you go ahead and start your oldest anyways, and just let your youngest jump in halfway through history? Do you finish the cycle, then go back and teach the other two out of order? Or do you wait until they can start it together?
You will start your oldest and them when the younger ones reach second grade they jump in wherever the oldest is. You go through the years in order and restart the cycle once you've been through all five years.

I will use my kiddos for an example. My dd will do ecc next year the ctg when she does rtr my ds will join in. then it's
Exploration to1850
1850 to modern
The following year we start back at ecc for him. I hope that makes sense got you!
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

Julie in MN

Re: Question about the family cycle...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:52 am

Yes, the littles join in fully when they get to 2nd grade, wherever the family is.

And before 2nd grade, you may be surprised how much some of those littles will pick up along the way. Of course, they may want to join in all of the cooking and fun stuff. But some of them even learn where the countries are with the geography game, and more.

Whatever they do along the way, they won't be jumping into the middle without any exposure to the earlier years - most will have had exposure along the way, and if not, their older siblings may want to fill them in with their own knowledge when the 2nd grader is first joining them.
mshanson3121 wrote:Okay, thank you both. DS is starting grade 1 in January (at 5.5), so we're going to have mid-year start dates. DD is only 2.5, so I will probably start K with her when she's 4.5, 1st at 5.5 and then could start the family cycle at 6.5, so we'd be starting year 3 of the cycle... That makes sense.

Say she was doing well, could we skip MFW K and just let her join in on ECC, and just have me do a separate phonics/math curric with her? Would that be possible? Or just way too far over her head?
That's exactly what she'd be doing with MFW K - language arts and math at her own level. The other fun activities could be enjoyed for her own special time, especially the literature time and the "character lessons" written just for that age group; or, if it gets to be too much, she might rather do those types of activities with the family. I think it looks different with each family, but even if you fit in all of K, it would only be an hour or 1.5 hours per day. And likely, you'll choose to do some things from the other program at times.

Julie

Ohmomjacquie

Adventures placement question

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:52 am

BramblePatchAcademy wrote:Hi everyone. I am new her. I am really leaning towards MFW for next year but am unsure of placement. DS will be 6. He is a bit accelerated and will have finished 1st grade. I think Adventures would be a good fit for DS. And it looks FUN. I am unsure about DD. I want to keep the LA and math and pdnmanship thats working now.

So is there any feasible way at all that DD could tag along on Adventures?
My youngest two tag along for adventures for the crafts and stories. They don't do any of the narration type stuff or anything but they enjoy tagging along.

There is a checklist on the site somewhere that can help you figure out if it's right for your ds. we are using it for 3rd grade and love it. I'm sure others with more experience can help you more.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

Julie in MN

Re: Adventures placement question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi, and welcome!

I agree with Jacquie that there will be lots of fun "family time" in Adventures. I'm so glad she chimed in with her experience.

Then each child needs language arts and math at their own level. MFW has recommendations for those, although some folks use other things. For a 5yo language arts and math, MFW might recommend doing K. You might call the office and go over her specific needs. I happen to be a better-late-than-early gal, and always put my 5 and even 6yo kids into K, in public school. It did them no harm and I think even made them more confident learners.

If you decide your younger student needs 1st grade, then MFW-1st is a sweet, age-appropriate, Bible-based program you could use for her language arts and math.

Here are a few threads that might have some thoughts that could help, during this quiet time on the boards.
Combining ADV & K http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3419
Combining ADV & 1st http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2307
Choosing K for a child already reading http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2304
and http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1354

Best wishes in these hard decisions.
Julie

4monkeyz

Re: Adventures placement question

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Hi! :-)

We are currently in Adventures & my youngest two (3 and 4) chime in with crafts or science activities and they listen to the stories. I hadn't purchased student sheets for them, however, since your daughter is 5, a little older than mine, I would strongly recommend considering purchasing a student sheet set for her. With my younger girls, I have found extra coloring sheets for them when desired and it hasn't been a big deal, but I know if my 4 yo was a year older she would so be missing it. There are some things she might not be ready for, extensive narration comes to mind, but with my 6 yo I had her trace the date & name or something basic but only bcs. she was wanting it. I personally have found it very easy to fit young kids in and adapt for them as they desire. The book list in the back is wonderful and has a wide variety of books. We are using MFW mainly w/3rd grade and then the three girls are tagging along. It is a lot of fun!! (((hugs)))
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!