5th grader - Do I squeeze 5 years into 4?

Julie in MN

skipping state history... really need advice!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:09 am

mommy3,4and6 wrote:I'm starting my three girls in ctg next year. They will be grades 5,6 and8th. We completed adventures and exploring ccs in past years. I'm really looking foward to one last year of having all the three girls studying Bible and history together! My eight grader will then move on to high school with mfw.

I would really like for both my fifth and six grader to complete the entire four year cycle before starting high school...but obviously we are one year too late for my sixth grader :( . Sooooo....I got to thinking.....since my girls loooove school and usually beg me for summer school books.....we end up homeschooling pretty much year round. That gives us the flexibility to take breaks whenever we want or need to. I was wondering, if I shortened one of the cycle years by six weeks by subtracting the state study that means it would take 132 weeks instead of 138 weeks to complete the entire cycle. If we started this June...after taking a break from now (we just completed our school year...yay!) Until June 1st....then we could complete the four year chronological history program in three school years including four summers....taking us to the end of my middle daughters' eighth grade year.

1) does this plan to do the four years in three years and four summers sound okay ? anyone out there done this? any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!!!
and
2) is State History really necessary? Would it suffice for the girls to pick up some kind of state history materials to read as an extra reader along the way somewhere? Am I doing them a terrible disservice to skip the state report? I'm not worried about missing out on the writing part...just the information part.

Thank you in advance!!! So excited to order our school materials and get started as soon as they arrive and I have a chance to preread some it!
Hi,
I think you will really enjoy having your 3 girls all study together before the oldest gets busy with high school.

About working over the summers, I do agree that having a schedule and activities together can sometimes be easier than just being random all summer. I did some of MFW-K with my grandson last summer, and it was a blessing to both of us. It gets harder if your kids have a lot of friends with summers off, but maybe that isn't an issue for you.

And, I think your plan of insuring that solid writing instruction is done will help make up for not doing the state study. Maybe throw in a local historical field trip when you're studying the states.

So all of your ideas sound like good things, and I expect your family will be blessed.

As for cautions to look out for:
- Scheduling some weeks of teacher planning each year helps me be more prepared and get more done when I get to the teaching part. MFW doesn't require a ton of planning at all, but a little organization and time to just absorb a new manual into my pores each year helps at my house.
- Life also happens, and has happened in my family. Personally, I would just "do the next thing" and not put too much pressure on yourself to get to a certain place by a certain time. God will bless your travels through history and the Bible, MFW will help you structure your learning and make definite progress, but in the end we can enjoy the imperfections, too :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

hsm

Where to start with a 5th grader (and younger siblings)?

Unread post by hsm » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:28 am

Christine4512 wrote:Should I start with Exploring Countries and Cultures or Creation to Greeks? He will be an old fifth grader, turning 11 in the fall.
Is he your only child? I think that might make a difference in what you choose. If you have youngers I would definitely choose ECC.

I think the standard recommendation is to do ECC first then proceed through the cycle. Not everyone completes the cycle before high school. My dd won't. We are doing ECC this year and she is an 11 year old in 6th grade.

Now that we are doing ECC I am so glad we decided to do it first because when we get into the history cycle, my dc will have background knowledge of the countries we are studying. They will be familiar with their locations, environment, culture, etc. I think that foundation will be so beneficial for them in understanding history.

Hope that helps!
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Julie in MN

Re: Where to start with a 5th grader (and younger siblings)?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Pretty much agreeing, ECC is a great beginning for any age.

After that, if he's your only one in the cycle so far, then you can jump into the cycle wherever you think he needs to be. The beginning is always good, but some people have already done tons of ancients and want to jump ahead.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:12 pm

I think ECC is a beautiful place to start as well. We are doing ECC now, and I can see how it is really going to help their understanding of history by seeing the world as it is today. It is giving them a big picture of the entire world that I think is invaluable. Plus, my oldest tells me regularly how much fun MFW is. Some fun in school is a nice thing to have.

The Bible, missions, science, and geography are very good and my children are learning a lot from it.

I am doing it right now with a 10, just turned 9, and 7 year olds. It is a great program for younger siblings to join in, and with the younger sibling I think your year would go well.

I hope that is helpful.

Christine4512

Unread post by Christine4512 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks! He does have three younger siblings, ages 3-8. I guess I will start with ECC!

Colleen

The summer before high school

Unread post by Colleen » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:06 pm

TriciaMR wrote:When your oldest hits 9th grade, they should move to the High School Ancient History and Literature (AHL). What you can do is have them read Story of the World Vol 4 that summer before starting high school so they get that time period covered.
I love that idea of having the 8th grader read Story of the World Volume 4 over the summer before starting high school! :-) My 8th grader will be doing EX to 1850 this year. She did 1850 to Modern, but she was only nine years old - so I love the idea of a review (or overview) before high school!
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy