5th grader - Do I squeeze 5 years into 4?

Sue in MN

5th grader - Do I squeeze 5 years into 4?

Unread post by Sue in MN » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:25 pm

5th grader - Won't finish American History before high school
sewardmom wrote:If I start my 5th grader in Countries and Cultures in the fall, then she will be in 9th grade before she completes the 5 year rotation for history. If she begins a high school curriculum at that time, she would not have completed the last history package - Civil War...

Any suggestions or tips how this would work especially considering the high school/college requirements?
In 9th - 12th you would most likely study World History and American History again. This time around you would probably cover the entire time span again including the last time span that you missed.

If you are concerned about meeting college requirements then I suggest that you look at some college websites to find out what they require. I have one ds in college at a 4 year Univ. I have found that they are not that picky about high school social studies courses.

The typical choices for high school would be Geography, American History, World History, Government and Economics. Studying World History for 4 years and spending two of those years on American History also is going to surpass most high school courses in any standard public school.

Although it is good to have long range plans, life changes things. I would encourage you to buy the curriculum that is best for your dc now. By the time your dc gets to high school you will have even more choices available to you as a homeschooler than are available now. The Hazells will even have a high school course by then most likely.

As you begin to teach with MFW it will begin to make sense to you how this all works out. Depending on your dc's interests you will learn how to tailor school to which way they learn and what they are interested in.

My dc all have liked history but none of them want it for a career. My dd16 is very interested in science so we focus on the science courses whereas someone else might focus on some other area such as creative writing. If your dc is really into government then you would want them to take public speaking and debate.

My oldest dd is married and a new mother who plans to homeschool her dd. My oldest ds is a college student presently. My next son is married, a parent and working full time in the trade my dh taught him. Same homeschool but very different paths.

LSH in MS

5th grader - Need American History before high school?

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:29 pm

Paula J wrote:I have been reading alot about MFW and it just sounds so good. I would be using this with my 11 yo ds. I know you suggest starting with ECC, however I would like to cover the second half of American history as we covered the first half last year, but after looking at Exp to 1850 I think if we did American History I should start at the beginning. The reason I am leaning towards American history is that ds may go to public school for high school and I know he'll need to know that. My other choice would be to start with Creation to the Greeks. I do want my son to have that understanding of Biblical history. Any suggestions?

I would also like to hear from others using this curriculum with children my son's age. Do the dc enjoy the activities? How is it working for you? Thank you so much for helping me make this decision.

Blessings
Paula J
Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm

Which one to do? Not sure, what has he had already? Has he done more American or Ancient Study. WE have done ECC, CTG, and are now on RTR. I'm anxious to get to American because we haven't spent concentrated time on it. But I have loved the Biblical foundation in CTG and RTR where you study the OT in depth and the Life of Jesus.

My son just turned 10 and he has thoroughly enjoyed all of the years. His favorite subject is history. There is a great balance in MFW between reading and activities. I'm the kind of MOm who loves reading and never took the effort to do the activities. But my kids love them. They bring the history alive. They loved the OT feasts in CTG and we did very simple versions of them. THey are looking forward to making the Roman arch next week (we are saving our pudding boxes). The activities are not hard to do.

We have also found some great videos that they have enjoyed from Netflix. Roman City (we FF the druids) and One day in Pompeii, a very tastefully done docudrama on the day before Vesuvious erupted and THe Gladiator's Story, also tastefully done (no gory violence on screen).

Probably more than you wanted to know but maybe someone who has done the American years can help you on that question.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:45 pm

Paula,
welcome to the board. I want to encourage you to know that you can give the MFW office a call and talk it over with them. They like to offer placement and planning for people wanting to use their products. I'm sure others on the board will have suggestions for placement.

I am using EX1850 this year with an 11 y.o dd and a 7.5 y.o dd. We're in our 4th year, and continue to love this curriculum. My 11 y.o likes the activities so far. Some of the activities are geared for the younger student, so my oldest tends to direct her sister in that project. We're doing a lot of hands on acitivities with the science program, and some fun activities with the history. This particular week, we've done a lot of food projects. We like that.

Here's some of what is working for us: we get a lot of quality school done across many subjects. My children are learning a lot of world and american history, having fun with all kinds of books, writing notebook summaries along the way. We even get classical music appreciation in there.

I like that it is not overwhelming with trying to do too many activities in EX1850. I have 3 dc, and one of them is autistic. So it gets hectic around here. But, MFW continues to work for us. here's a link back to a recent thread about hands on activities, in case you haven't seen it
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=2280

What's not working: I'm not good at doing God and the History of Art. Ever year that I've use MFW, the art history book waits until summer. It works for us, just not the way it is scheduled.

--crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:30 pm

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:42 am

Paula,
Do you know the sequence in your intended school? Our public schools study American History/Civics in 9th grade. That might mean 3 years in a row of American History if you ended your homeschooling years with American History, and then went right into 9th grade public school American History?!
Julie

KimR

Unread post by KimR » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:31 pm

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:04 pm

Paula,

This is our first year using MFW and we started with CTG for my 11yo ds. He attended p.s. up through last year. I was concerned if he would like CTG because his favorite subjects are American History and Politics. He eat, sleeps, and breathes these subjects. If he had been given the choice, we probably would have skipped right to EX to 1850.

Well, we will be starting week 9 of CTG and he LOVES it! Learning the OT and ancient history has been great. He told me the other day, "Mom, I love learning about ancient Egypt!" So, even though my son probably would have enjoyed having several years of American History in a row, I think he's glad he's not missing out on the richness of the Ancients. Of course, when he's doing reading on his own time, he still reaches for those American History and politics books. LOL!

cbollin

Suggestions for an overview if your oldest will miss Year 5

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:26 pm

Love2learn wrote:I have 4 kids, 2 are in ECC, the others are preschool. I started the school year using CTG but went to a workshop hosted by Mr. Hazell (which was a wonderful experience, BTW, if you can ever attend any of their workshops/conferences) and he strongly advised stopping CTG and picking up ECC - which we did and are very thankful that we took that time out of the history track.

I have 3 years before my oldest reaches high school, which we plan to do with MFW, the Lord willing. Mr. Hazell advised skipping EXP-1850 as we had done US history before. However, as I look at the Table of Contents for EXP-1850, I DON'T WANT TO SKIP IT! We have not covered early US in such a broad world sense.

Due to the fact that ds loves American History so much, he's already read a lot of books on the subject... I was more concerned about him knowing the significant events that occurred throughout history through modern times.
Posted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 pm

If you are concerned that the oldest will miss Year 5, I have a few crazy ideas to share. Well, honestly, I wouldn’t worry too much about it because the students will get more in depth history in high school and it will work out.

If you really want to let oldest have a sneak peek of modern history before high school, then considering doing some light and casual summer reading after the 8th grade year. I would suggest using The Last 500 Years (which is started in EX1850) and possibly glancing through The Children’s Encyclopedia of American History (included in year 5). You would just glance through them and see the pictures and learn just enough that they know some of it. Think of it as sneak preview time and not a time of "have to" get this done.

Some of that sneak peek can be started in the EX1850 year around week 31 when you are working mostly on the individual state report and continue through summer. Don’t feel the need to finish it all. And don’t feel like they have to start while working on the state history report. It is just a suggestion for the highly motivated student.

There are some things started in year 4, EX1850, that get finished in Year 5, 1850-Modern Times. If oldest doesn't finish them, it will be ok. Those things are the State Sheets and The President's cards. If you really want oldest to read the rest of the State Sheets, that’s ok, but not needed to color all of the birds, flowers – just enough to read the sheets. Same thing with the President’s Cards --- don’t turn them into reports --- just read the cards a bit. As they learn more detailed history in high school, they'll pick up on the names of Presidents -- so it may not be that important to finish those things in the summer after 8th grade.

There is one aspect of the state study from year 5 that your oldest will miss. That is learning all of the capitals of all 50 states. It is not started in year 4. I know my kids picked it up really fast with the audio CD that MFW uses. But again, I wouldn’t stress about it if she doesn’t learn all of them. You could do that in a summer time in a low key way.

Don’t try to make them do both Year 5 and High school together. You don’t want to overburden your high school student who is already doing a very full day of school in high school and maybe even a part time job at this point. So don't feel pressured to have to finish those things from year 5.

The High School program will have its own Bible time. I know there is one
aspect of the Bible time in year 5 that I would want my high schooler to try to do with us IF our schedules allowed it. That was praying together as a family for the nations using something called the THUMB guide. Our family did those on the weekends at meal times so that we were together for those moments.

Be encouraged to ask any questions that might bring up. :)
-crystal
Love2learn wrote:I now plan to follow your suggestion, and read through the book with him starting toward the end of Exp to 1850, as well as finishing The Last 500 Years. I think I may also get the readers that go along with 1850 to Mod to read during the summer.

Wow! I think it could work! Then I could have him do Ancients in 9th grade without feeling guilty! Thanks Crystal!
[Editor's Note: More ideas on this topic can be found here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=484 ]

Julie in MN

How does this sound (thinking out loud)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Started MFW in 5th, now have 2 years left
bunnytracks wrote:My oldest (as you know from my other post) is going into 7th grade this year. We are at the cycle to do RTR next year. So here is what I am thinking:

7th grade: RTR
8th grade: ECC with supplements
9th grade: AHL
10th grade WHL
and then hopefully the rest of MFW high school will be finished.

I would be skipping ex1850 and 1850MOD but since it is in highschool I think it might be ok. He started out with ADV way back when and he had read quite a bit of lit. on the exp1850 era already. It is really just 1850MOD I was worried about because I have kept most of the wars from his studies. However, reading from other threads I think if I just have him read the over the summer before highschool he will have enough of an overview to be ok.

I do have younger children but they will be doing k and 1st the 1st year. What are your thoughts?
If he hasn't done the time of Jesus and the early church yet, I think it's a great idea to do that now. In high school, that will be squeezed in with "world history" and so you probably won't have as much time for it.

We are now in 1850MOD with a 7th grader. SOTW has a ton of wars and conflicts around the globe. I really love the U.S. stuff MFW has added to that. If you can squeeze those MFW extra things on the U.S. into the ECC weeks on the US and the summer, it might be good. But as you said, you'll spend 2 whole years touching on that stuff in high school.

I might choose these, although of course most of us don't have an unlimited budget :)
The American History Encyclopedia
The states & capitals CD
Read-alouds to read himself, such as Across 5 Aprils & Courage to Run
The state sheets
President flashcards

Of course, if time weren't an issue, it would be great to get the teacher's manual & game supplies, foster & sousa CD if he'd enjoy a little American-style music, & on & on. Maybe even SOTW on audio. But you're not doing 1850MOD, are you :-)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth

Re: How does this sound (thinking out loud)

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu May 28, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm sitting here laughing at Julie's post because I'm in the same predicament! That is, trying to squeeze in a lot of topics before oldest hits h.s., knowing we can't possibly do everything, and yet, wanting to try... ;)

Bunnytracks, I think your plans sounds great. :-)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

dhudson

Re: How does this sound (thinking out loud)

Unread post by dhudson » Thu May 28, 2009 8:48 pm

I think the plan is a good one. You know you can either have your son read SOTW for the years that he is missing or I think they have SOTW in a CD format that could be listened to as well. I think reading George Washington's World would help as well. Maybe some summer reading?
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

rawbanana

Beginning the 5 yr a year late, what do I choose next?

Unread post by rawbanana » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:51 pm

OklahomaJamie wrote:We are beginning homeschoolers this year. 5th Grade, and we are starting with ECC this year. So, that will leave us with 3 more years to do the program before high school. It looks like we need to do both of the last 2, as they have continued state studies. How do we choose between Creation to the Greeks or Rome to Reformation?

Suggestions, advice?
My oldest is in 5th grade and we just started ECC this year too...she will do CTG in 6th, RTR in 7th, and Ex1850s in 8th. then she will enter highschool. From what I have heard, she will go thru 1850Mod in highschool at a different level, so its not like she wont learn that info...I hope that helps!
MY BLOG!
http://passionatemotherhood.blogspot.com/
Anna-mom of 4 girls, 1 boy
Savannah 09/00
Ariel 02/02
Skylar 10/03
Jaidyn 06/05[/color
]
Joshua 02/08
Started ECC July 2010!

Julie in MN

Re: Beginning the 5 yr a year late, what do I choose next?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:04 am

If you don't have any little ones following behind, I think you have a lot of flexibility. I'd wait until you are further into the year and have a better sense of the future. There are good reasons for all of you choices.

- CTG is covered thoroughly in high school, so that could be one to skip. However, doing CTG first gives a good foundation of the beginning of history and man's falling away from God. Plus you get to experience the feasts and other fun activities that you won't have time for in high school.

- RTR is not as thoroughly covered in high school, so that's a good choice to keep.

- EX1850 and 1850MOD have some nice sequencing, with all of the presidents and all 50 states being covered (as you mentioned). My ds liked learning modern history, and as I recall he also liked learning where the US started -- especially the contrast between our revolution and the revolutions that followed in many other countries.

I think the biggest factor might be what your child has already covered in the years past. And like Anna said, it will all be covered again in high school. Even our best laid plans may never turn out perfectly, but it's all good. Let God lead.

Julie

paulaj

Unread post by paulaj » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:37 pm

I'm in the same place as you except we are in 6th grade. Im thinking of doing one of the others over summer but a VERY scaled down version. Probably the 1850 to modern. That seems like the only way I can 'catch up' . Not sure but Ill give it a go !

Paula J.

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:53 pm

I would hate to miss ECC or CTG. The other 3 would be easier for me to give up if I had to. ECC was such a fun, learning experience and the feasts in CTG were so special to the whole family. If the feasts are something you are interested in at all, I would definitely not pass up CTG. We do ECC again next year. I'm looking forward to it!
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:40 pm

It would be hard to pick a level to skip . . . But, if you're trying to cover your bases, then you could possibly skip CTG. Read Genesis & Exodus during the summer (maybe from a Children's Bible so you get the main stories). Take the summer to work your way through the major parts of "The Usborne book of the Ancient World". Another book that would be easy to get through in about 1 month would be "Famous Men of Ancient Greece". It has beautiful pictures, it is concisely written, and interesting. Then move right into RTR for 6th grade.

It is my understanding that the MFW 9th grade program covers Ancient History quite well. So your studies might look like this:

5th: Countries & Cultures
5th Summer: Ancient History Highlights
6th: Rome to the Reformation
7th: Explorers to 1850
8th: 1850 to Modern
9th: Ancient History
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

Julie in MN

ECC to RTR?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 pm

blessedbyHim wrote: I am thinking of going from ECC to RTR because my oldest has had more along the lines of CTG and it would enable him to finish out the cycle by high school. Would it be feasible to get story of the world vol 1 now for him to just read through the rest of this year before heading on to RTR next fall?
I'd first make sure he's solid in his Biblical history. That's what CTG is about. A good foundation in creation and how man fell away from God is crucial to understanding all the disappointments of history.

If he's solid in that area, then I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use SOTW-1. However, you won't want to use all of it. Some of it will overlap into the beginning of RTR (when MFW reads Augustus Caesar's World etc.). Unless you are crazy about Rome, you might not want to do a ton of Rome, followed by more Rome :)

HTH,
Julie

Julie in MN

If you HAVE to Condense... One semester short

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 14, 2011 6:09 pm

MelissaM wrote:To those of you who've been through the whole 5yr cycle (or anyone who just has an opinion!), if you HAD to condense a year/finish a year over the summer, would you choose to condense/skim/skip ECC or 1850Mod?

We started ECC in Jan - and we are so enjoying it. Aside from typical end-of-year blahs, we're having a really good time and learning a lot. My dd will be in 5th grade next year. My original plan, was to just keep going, and change years each year in Jan. However, it's now occurring to me that she won't finish 1850Mod before starting high school if we go that route. I'm sure she could finish reading SoTW over the summer, but I don't know what else she might be missing out on that maybe should not be missed?

Overall, I don't know which is more "important" to finish before high school - the geography, or the history? (She has not yet been through the entire history cycle...) Anyone have any thoughts? Advice/opinions much appreciated!

:)
Melissa
Melissa,
My first thought is to condense EX1850. The beginning of the year has some overlap with RTR (explorers). The end of that year is a 4 week state study, which could be done during the rest of the year with a 7th or 8th grader. That's my first thought.
Julie

purepraisemom

Re: If you HAVE to Condense...

Unread post by purepraisemom » Sat May 14, 2011 6:25 pm

I have been thinking about this myself. My daughter is almost 12 and we just started Exp-1850. She has actually studied parts of this time period before so we going as fast as possible in hopes of fitting in 1850-MOD in the 2nd half of our year. BUT, if we don't, I plan on skipping that in favor of ECC before high school because I think that having an understanding of the world gives them a perspective and context to better understand history. If you are following MFW for high school, she will still get to study that period of history and much of that will be enhanced by knowing more about the world.

I do like your idea of continuing with SOTW through the summer and we may do that as well.

This is an opinion not based on actual use of ECC - see my sig. :)
Julie in MN wrote:My first thought is to condense EX1850. The beginning of the year has some overlap with RTR (explorers). The end of that year is a 4 week state study, which could be done during the rest of the year with a 7th or 8th grader. That's my first thought.
My almost 12yo daughter is doing a week's schedule in 3 days - but that is without the scheduled Bible study.
new to MFW 2011
homeschooling since 1999

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 14, 2011 6:41 pm

purepraisemom wrote:My almost 12yo daughter is doing a week's schedule in 3 days - but that is without the scheduled Bible study.
So that's another good vote for EX1850. There may be parts towards the colonies & constitution that you want to spend more time on, but I definitely think there are places to squeeze.

And like mentioned above, the Bible might make a difference, too. Memorizing the complete book of James is definitely a worthy enterprise, but I think I'd rather squish that and do the Plan B, rather than squish the rich Bible in ECC and 1850MOD.

But maybe we aren't helping, since maybe you want to squish one of those two years. If that's the case, then I don't know, maybe squish each of them a bit???

Julie

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Sat May 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Oh no, Julie, all ideas are welcome! I hadn't considered condensing Ex1850 - but I haven't looked at any of the years except ECC yet, so it just didn't occur to me. I didn't realize there would be overlap between that and RtR, so that's good to know. I plan to take a good long look at convention, and bug whoever's in the booth with a bunch of questions, but I wanted to ask here first and get the counsel of all you wise people!

Thanks so much - hope more people will chime in, too.

(We are REALLY enjoying the Bible in ECC; I get sad at just the idea of not getting the rest of it.)
Melissa
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 14, 2011 7:06 pm

I do agree a bit about ex1850 being the year to condense or pick up the pace a bit for oldest.... but... if you do that, you might have to adjust for younger children in the family and not need to do it for them.

but in any case, I'd tend to condense/independent pace for the oldest on the jr. high side in history to focus more on writing and lit analysis and not worry about history as much. And not to do that on the younger side with it, unless life works the other way

-crystal

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Sat May 14, 2011 8:21 pm

How many weeks would you need to squeeze out to finish before highschool?

Each year is only scheduled for 34 weeks. If you follow a 36 week school year , you could make up 8 weeks over the 5 year cycle. If you were willing to do 2 weeks of work over a summer break then you could make up another 8-10 weeks.

Just a thought.
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Sat May 14, 2011 11:20 pm

This might be a silly suggestion, especially since I do not have children old enough for high school, but would there be anything wrong with you keeping your original plan and starting each new MFW year in January, even as your daughter enters high school, and she just graduates high school in December rather than in May? Just wondering if something like that would work.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Sun May 15, 2011 3:13 pm

cbollin wrote:if you do that, you might have to adjust for younger children in the family and not need to do it for them.

but in any case, I'd tend to condense/independent pace for the oldest on the jr. high side in history to focus more on writing and lit analysis and not worry about history as much
Maybe after I get a look at the Teacher's Manual...or maybe when dd is actually in jr. high...I will be able to see better how this would work, but I have to admit, right now I'm not quite clear in my mind of how I would condense it for one kid and not the other. If you have any specific ideas you'd like to share, I'm all ears! :-)
Wendy B. wrote:How many weeks would you need to squeeze out to finish before highschool?
Uh....this may require more math than I am actually capable of. Let's see. We've made it to the halfway point of ECC - so 17 weeks of that to go. Are all the programs scheduled for 34 weeks? If so, and if I were to continue on as we are right now, then I guess I'd have about 17 weeks to fit in.

I'm switching to a year-round schedule this summer - I think I'm stealing yours. ;) (Aren't you the one who posted about splitting the year into quarters?) But anyway, I still didn't plan to do more than 36 weeks of school between July 1 and June 30. Right now I am feeling quite burned out, so the idea of extending the school year for 2 more weeks makes me just want to weep. But - if we school for 36 weeks, and the programs are only 34, that does help me gain 8 weeks over the next 4 years. But wait, no. One of our 36 weeks has to be devoted to state-required testing. So, I guess I would only gain 4 weeks that way.

Sigh. I've thoroughly confused myself. :~
Poohbee wrote:This might be a silly suggestion, especially since I do not have children old enough for high school, but would there be anything wrong with you keeping your original plan and starting each new MFW year in January, even as your daughter enters high school, and she just graduates high school in December rather than in May? Just wondering if something like that would work.
Not silly - and our kids are the same ages!

And no...there would be nothing wrong with doing that. It's just...well, graduation ceremonies that we could participate in are in May. College classes start up in August. It wouldn't be wrong, it just might not be the most convenient or practical. I have no idea, really.

Thanks for your thoughts! I will continue to ponder...
Melissa
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

cbollin

Wondering how to get the whole cycle...

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:54 am

davimee wrote:As this will be our first year with MFW, we're starting with ECC. I went back and forth between starting with ECC or CtG, but decided my girls could really use a good year of geography. My oldest daughter will be in 5th grade this year, so I'm concerned that she won't get the final year of the cycle before starting high school. I'm trying to think how I might work it in... such as school year round with only a few short breaks, but that seems like an awful lot to do over the next 4 years. Or, for the light Fridays, I suppose I could do Friday's work and Monday's work, so in essence do 6 days of work every 5 days... but I don't know if that's the right way to go, either. I'd really like her to get that last year of American history. That's what she did this past year, but we didn't finish the year. We were so burnt out, and that's the time I found MFW. We were so excited about that, we decided to quit what we were doing in early May, and we'll be starting MFW next month.

Anyway, how important is it that she get that final year of the history cycle? Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can work it in before high school, without getting totally burnt out on school by trying to do too much? We'll be going to the convention a week from today, should I talk to someone there about it? :)
I have a suggestion.
The summer after oldest child's 7th grade year is when she can do the State Report from EX1850.
Then 8th grade year of your oldest child do EX1850 as written...
when you get to week 31-34, when the state report is scheduled but she's already done... so you have those weeks, plus summer before 9th grade.. you only are trying to hit highlights of US history...

so order year 5 materials early...
let her read from SOTW vol 4. don't worry on the writing assignments, etc... have her narrate to you
use the Children's Enc. of American History -- in fact, you could get that book now and have it on the coffee table. When I was young, my mom bought those Time Life The Decade series. I was not homeschooled. I read those and glanced and picked up plenty of "just enough" US history from them before high school.

other things from year 5 that could be done on her own in summers -- use the capitals/states song CD.
do not worry about finishing the state sheets unless she is interested in it. shouldn't take too long. and at least read through the presidents cards from 1850MOD.

I would just wait until right before high school... keep it light, don't plan to go overboard on it. If she loves to read a lot, and you have the year 5 manual, enjoy some book basket, or deluxe read alouds.

-crystal

Amy C.

Re: Wondering how to get the whole cycle...

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:15 pm

We started MFW 2 years ago when my oldest was 5th grade. We started with the recommended ECC. I, too, was concerned with my oldest not getting the last year of the 5 year cycle. I am a finisher by nature and just wanted him to get it all before HS, not to mention that he says that that would be his favorite time in history and that it would be the time he would like to study most. As we move along in MFW (we will be doing RtR this next year), I still hate that we will not get that last year in with him before HS, but it does not bother me as much as it did. I guess because we are really enjoying what we are learning and I see the value of starting at the beginning as it relates to God and His word. Also, I know that he will study it in more detail in HS.

What was recommended to me and what I read on this message board and what we plan on doing is going through the cycle through EX1850 and then the following summer prior to my oldest starting HS, have him read SOTW and other resources of the 1850MOD time. I figure since this is his favorite time in history, I won't have any trouble getting him to read about it through the summer. ;) Over the next couple of years, he can read library books, watch American history dvd's, etc.

When my son was discouraged to learn that we would not cover that period in history prior to HS, I told him our options: skip one of the other years which I told him I did not think we needed to do because we have not covered those years, work year round with few breaks which would probably burn us all out, or let him read about it over the summer before HS as a condensed version. He liked the last idea the best.

I am just trusting that God will work it all out and fill in the gaps that I miss.
Amy C.