Notebooking - How does MFW utilize this?

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:39 am

mommyintraining wrote:Can you tell me how MFW utilizes notebooking? Thank you!
Terri
In 1st, your child develops his own Bible notebook. In the materials is a book for this. It is blank at the top with an increasing number of lines for writing a title then short summary of he Bible story. Both my boys have loved this. After you read the Bible section to them, they read it from their Bible reader and then draw a key point in their notebook. I also keep my child's phonics papers and Proverbs sheets in a separate notebook...although some of the Proverb sheets we send off in letters.

In ECC, there are specific directions for making a geography notebook and a separate notebook for the other subjects. Each continent has a section with papers/projects for the countries studied. In the other notebook, I have sections for Bible (character traits and some pictures my children have done on the missionaries,) math, science and nature journal.

I think the notebook is what you decide to make it to some extent. My children love adding a page about topics they are interested in. My dd11 has done some beautiful pages on a country's traditional clothing because she loves this! My son enjoys doing a bit more with the animals found in a country. Someone here talked about doing more with the character traits. My children typically work on the pages while I read to them.

I will add that I did make a notebook from K with the phonics sheets and pages we did there too. I don't remember if there were specific instructions to do so.

Hope this helps! Molly

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:33 pm

In CTG you make a history notebook with history and literature narrations, Copywork, and many pages you copy from the appendix in the teacher's manual. I also had them do a second notebook for art, English, and science pages.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

txquiltmommy

Unread post by txquiltmommy » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:08 pm

I am doing Adventures with my six and eight year old sons. This easy and fun to use study of American history also utilizes notebooks. My boys each have a large three ring binder with dividers for history, Bible and science, as well as subjects we add such as phonics, spelling, math, handwriting and reading logs. MFW provides history pages for coloring and narration. I made some fun worksheets (matching, true/false, fill in the blank) to use with the main history and science books as well. Other examples of pages in their notebooks include photos of projects we have made, lyrics to patriotic songs (provided by MFW) that we decorate or use for copywork, coloring sheets that I copy from Dover coloring books, and maps (again, provided by the Teacher's Manual).

Another fun component of Adventures is compiling a state notebook, starting around week 12. We have not gotten that far in the curriculum yet, but our notebooks are on the shelf and we look forward to starting them in a few weeks. MFW provides a page for each state containing a map, as well as fun information such as the state flower, state tree, state symbol, etc. We also have state flag stickers to adhere to each page and a state bird and flower chart so the kids can use authentic colors when completing their work.

This is my first year to use MFW, but my 7th year of homeschooling. I have found that notebooking is a very rewarding way for my children to collect a sampling of their work. It is fun to see how their writing changes, how the complexity of their writing matures, and how their artistic ability blooms. In our home there is no exact formula for what goes in the notebooks. If they create it and are proud of it, it goes in! Every so often I purge the books; weeding out some of the coloring pages or less "significant" contributions. :) If we intently study a topic of great interest to them (Native Americans, for instance!) and generate quite a few projects I like to assemble them into a lapbook. That is another creative and special way to bind the memories. They take such pride in the lapbooks that they will often flip through them, thereby reinforcing and reviewing all the learning without even noticing. :)
Brooke
dd (14)
ds(9) - ECC
ds(8) - ECC
and one on the way in December!

Heather (WI)

Unread post by Heather (WI) » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:19 pm

We do Adventures notebooking mostly like Brooke mentioned.

There are many pages in the Teacher's Manual Appendix that the children do and can be put into notebooks (esp. the history notebook), as well as any dictations and copywork done from science, history and Bible lessons.
Love in Christ,
Heather (WI)
MFW user since 2004:
ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR,
and starting Ex-1850 in Aug. 2008!!

scmlg

Unread post by scmlg » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:58 am

As the parent, you'll get to say what notebooking is to you. What I have my kids do is first draw me a picture of what we just learned. Then they have to write a sentence telling me about the picture. My 4th grader has to write me 4 sentences, and my 2nd grader writes me 2 sentences now.

At this point my 4th grader is also including info not in the picture, such as dates, names, and so forth.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:05 pm

I agree with Misty -- notebooking can be whatever you, the teacher and student, want it to be.

The nice thing is that MFW will tell you when to notebook, and will give you a notebook page to work with.

My youngest son does most of his writing on the computer. For instance, if we are to write a notebooking page on The Vikings, he writes a summary of all he has learned about them. If needed, I sit by him and read thru some highlights of the books we have recently read on the Vikings. Finally, we add a title and approximate dates.

Then for illustrating, he can:

* Photocopy the MFW notebook page, and then set his text to fit and print that out on the same page.

* Find Google Images to put on his page.

* Add anything else if he would like -- maps, decorations (making the 10 commandments look old etc), or brochures if he went on a related field trip. My daughter used to do a lot of illustrating in her notebook, but ds does not like pencils of any color :o)

Julie
P.S. While they're little, there will be much less information in their notebooks. Maybe a parent will write what the child dictates. Maybe the child will just put some stickers on the page. It will still assist in retention -- and be precious!

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:49 pm

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:53 pm

I don't "require" them to do a notebook page but rather let the kiddies see that our notebooks are our special way of making a keepsake of all we've done. And also if anyone wants to see it we make sure it's our very best work. For 7YO it's mostly a time for exploration and very little recording. His notebook for ECC has pictures he's drawn, flags, maps and photos of crafts or projects. He may dictate to me and I will write or he may actually label himself. For 9YO there is a little more writing but not so much to make her hate it. You can add puzzles, worksheets, coloring pages from on line sources, special recipes they enjoyed, Magazine cut outs of people from that country (National Geographics) we even put in some foreign currency.