3rd grader (or advanced 2nd) - Adventures vs. ECC?

kw4blessings

Re: Choosing Between Adventures and ECC

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat May 04, 2013 11:44 am

We are about to start Adv and K in the fall. I just talked with a lady yesterday who has used MFW from K all the way through the 5 year cycle. When I mentioned we would be using Adv this fall, she said "Ohh! That was my favorite year! They've all been good, but that was our fav!" So, like pp said, since you have the opportunity now to do Adv....go for it! You can still do ECC then, multiple times even. :)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 am

I have children the same age span, and I have actually had the same thought because I thought k and 1st would line up so well but ultimately I will go with Adv & K. Here are some reasons why:
1) I have heard absolutely nothing but praises for Adv. and looking at all the fun activities on the online samples and board, I can't imagine skipping it :)
2) K-1st-2nd complete a "mini" history cycle for early elementary kids
3) Adv is specifically geared towards 2-3 graders, and so will be a better fit; with ECC it's more guess work with what level of work should I expect with this activity and the temptation to attempt advanced stuff that you should wait on with an oldest 2nd grader
4) I have also heard many reviews about mfw k & Adv. going great togther because of Bible overlap and it's general appeal for younger children. There are book suggestions, for example, geared more towards younger siblings, etc.

ECC has lots of nice supplementary materials if you hold off until 3rd that you can get to make it appealing to the then 1st grader, like the complete book of animals, the cookbook, I Can Draw Animals, etc. here's a link:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40 ... enrichment
dd: 10, Prairie Primer
ds: 7, mfw 1st
dd: dd3, All Aboard
Dynamic Duet of Destruction twin dds 1

GLPerky

Unread post by GLPerky » Sun May 05, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks ladies! I'll stick with Adventures this year. Then do I skip it completely with my youngest in two years?

lea_lpz

Unread post by lea_lpz » Sun May 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes! And so If your oldest child did ECC for 3rd, your younger one would join the family circle in 2nd for CTG and RTR for 3rd. They would do [EX1850] together in 4/6 and [1850MOD] in 5/7. Then they do ECC in 6/8. Your youngest can do it all at a level he wouldn't have participated in at 1st and the oldest will do the 7/8 supplement and do more advanced activities than done as a 3rd grader. Your oldest will then repeat CTG & RTR at a more advanced level. Your oldest will be doing the same time period in HS those 2 years as your 7/8 grader.
dd: 10, Prairie Primer
ds: 7, mfw 1st
dd: dd3, All Aboard
Dynamic Duet of Destruction twin dds 1

jhagberg

Unread post by jhagberg » Sun May 05, 2013 4:18 pm

GLPerky wrote:Then do I skip it completely with my youngest in two years?
Yes, and hang on to your Adventures read-alouds because your youngest will enjoy them when he does US History later on. :)
Joyce

TriciaMR

Placement help!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm

ani-beth wrote:Hi. I am new to homeschooling. I am going to do mfw k with my 5 yr old in the fall and some preschool activities with my 3yr old but am not sure where to place my older boys. They have been in public school and would be entering grades 1 & 3 in the fall. However they will be 7 & 9 by then and looking over the discover curriculum, adventures looks like it might be too easy for my oldest. Would ecc be to much if I started them on the 5 yr cycle next year?

I also have some concerns especially for my oldest, that even though he is advanced in his reading, he isn't used to reading living books and the type of literature in mfw. For cost reasons and my own sanity, I would like to keep them together next year. I am leaning toward doing adv with both of them (especially since neither one has really studied us history), especially since the 9 yr olds math and LA will still be at his level but I don't know.

I am open to any advice or suggestions since I am brand new at all this. :) My husband is very concerned about them falling behind their ps counterparts since the school they are currently in is so rigorous with academics. (He also happens to be a ps teacher and curriculum developer) We want to homeschool because we want our children to love Jesus and want to serve him above all else and it's becoming hard to focus on that when they're only home eve and weekends. :) Sorry about the rambling and thanks in advance for any help.
Ani-beth
Adventures is a great place to start. It will give the children a basic US history focus. You can adjust language arts to their levels and math, too. Rigorous doesn't have to mean hours and hours of school. MFW's programs don't have twadle in them. They get to the point, cover it, and are done. At this age, short lessons are the best.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

kw4blessings

Re: Placement help!

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 pm

I'd like to encourage you to go with Adventures as well. You can keep LA and math on level for each child. Adv is such a wonderful year and would be a great intro to homeschooling. If you do get into the year and feel your oldest son needs more, it is so easy to add to. You could take any of the book basket books and have him do a report/project. We have gotten so much out of the book basket books... an incredible resource!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat May 10, 2014 2:48 pm

As others have said, Adventures is a great year and would be an excellent starting point for those who are coming home to school for the first time. Since it is sort of a "unit study" of American History, you can make it go as in-depth into that history as you wish. My daughter added to the note-booking pages and went deeper into topics which interested her (Lewis and Clark in particular). It would be so easy to add to the history portion if you feel it is too light for your older child. And there are so many wonderful living books for this time period! I think many boys especially would consider this to be a fun topic of study which will be an enjoyable introduction to homeschooling, with heroic figures, travel and... well, adventure!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

ani-beth

Unread post by ani-beth » Sat May 10, 2014 6:23 pm

Thank you so much everybody. I do really like the idea of doing adventures with them. It looks like a really fun year. Hopefully I'll be able to keep my 3rd grader challenged. Now I just have to convince hubby to let me actually homeschool the older boys (although he has agreed to let me try k with our almost 5yr old). He thinks we could just amp up the character and bible training we're already doing at home. Any advice on reluctant husbands? Lol. :)
Blessings!
Ani

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat May 10, 2014 8:16 pm

Ani, my hubby was reluctant. I asked for a year to try it. And then the next year. And then the next. Oldest is now finishing up 8th grade, and hubby is finally okay with homeschooling through high school. :)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Adventures OR ECC (2nd & 3rd graders)

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:35 pm

littlebylittle wrote:My kids are in public school. Next year the oldest two will be in 3rd grade and 2nd grade.
As of right now, I really want to teach them the same curriculum for MFW and I'm leaning towards ECC. Should I begin with Adventures OR ECC?

Would Adventures maybe be too 'easy' for my 3rd grader at that point? Thanks!
Welcome to homeschooling and to MFW!

Adventures is appropriate for 2nd or 3rd graders. Since you have one of each, it might be a perfect fit for you, especially bringing your kids out of public school. There may be a bit of a transition moving from public school to homeschool, and because ADV is written for younger kids, the time commitment isn't as great. It gives you more time to focus on and work through the transition from school to home.

The focus of ADV is American history, geography of the U.S., U.S. presidents, etc., the names of Jesus for Bible time, and general topics for science, with fun, hands-on experiments using Usborne books, and wonderful read-aloud books! You know, even if the science seems easy, it is fun. We are using an Usborne book for 1850-MOD this year, and even though the experiments are easy for my 4th grader, she loves them! Plus, the science often coincides with the Names of Jesus study in ADV. For example, when you study Jesus as the Bread of Life, you learn about yeast and bread. Because ADV is written for 2nd and 3rd grade, it is perfect for that age level! The MFW recommendation is to use ADV when your oldest is either a 2nd or 3rd grader.

ECC is a wonderful year, and it is appropriate for anywhere from 3rd-8th grade. It is a wide age span. Your younger child would probably get more out of it with another year under his/her belt. So, if you did ADV next year, then your kids would be 3rd and 4th grades doing ECC, and that would be perfect! :-)

I would recommend you consider doing Adventures next year and ECC the following year. Even if your oldest has already studied American history in public school, the focus using MFW is a Biblical focus. They learn more about the faith of the founding Fathers than they would in public school. The focus is a bit different. It's okay to study American history two years in a row. We did ADV when my oldest was a 2nd grader, and we took a break from MFW and studied American history for her 3rd grade year, too, reading the American Girl books (because she was very interested in those books at that time), and it worked out just fine for her to study American history 2 yrs. in a row.

I think that Adventures would be a great fit for your rising 3rd and 2nd graders next year! :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Yodergoat

Re: Adventures OR ECC (2nd & 3rd graders)

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:29 am

Welcome!

I would also suggest beginning with Adventures, for many of the same reasons that Poohbee listed. But also, Adventures may be the better choice for your transition into home teaching (assuming you are also new to homeschooling). The Adventures teaching manual is written specifically for the 2nd-3rd grade age range, while the ECC manual is written to cover several grade levels. This means that with ECC, you would have to "decide" which activities and resources will be appropriate for your children, leaving some out by necessity. It may leave you feeling as if you are not "doing it all" or getting everything in. The Adventures manual will not leave you with such difficult choices... you will know that the recommended activities and resources are exactly age appropriate for your students. Some of the material in ECC is pretty meaty for a 2nd grader (especially at first) and may make for a harder transition into learning at home for your younger student.

If you are still concerned about Adventures being too easy for a 3rd grader, please know that this possibility could just be a blessing in that it will be a fun year to build self-confidence in homeschooling and learning together as siblings. The Adventures year is filled with many great living book choices which would help enrich your 3rd grader's year. If the student pages for the history notebook seem too simple for your older child, these are very simple to adjust to fit your child's interests and abilities. This is what we did: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... res#p97753 (I had a second grader, but she wanted more creative notebooking pages than those provided). You can make that history notebook as elaborate as needed to be a challenge for your older child.

I think that if you keep the rest of the 3rd grader's materials (math, spelling, etc.) on target for his or her level, there will be plenty of meat in Adventures to make a full and satisfying year.

Again, welcome to homeschooling and MFW!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:41 am

We started with Adventures for a 1st and 3rd grader. It was a perfect fit! ECC would have been too hard and overwhelming I think.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

littlebylittle

Unread post by littlebylittle » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:49 am

I am so, so thankful for your responses. Thanks so much for pointing me in a worthwhile direction. It helps to hear from those who have "gone before" and I think what you've said - all of you - makes perfect sense to me. Much appreciated, {new} friends!!