Comparing - Will MFW be flexible enough? Bunnytrails ok?

Fly2Peace

Comparing - Will MFW be flexible enough? Bunnytrails ok?

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Mary in CO wrote:Hi, my name is Mary and I am a curriculum junkie. I say this somewhat in jest, but truly I have wasted a lot of my husband's hard earned money on curriculum that sits on the shelf and do not want that to happen anymore.

I have been praying about what to do this year as I just did not feel that we should continue on the path we were following. MFW is not even something I had considered until last week. I want to focus more on the Bible. I love CM style. MFW kept popping up on different message boards and yahoo groups that I am on. I feel God drawing me to MFW, but am nervous about it. I am not used to following a Teacher's Manual.

I prayed and asked God to allow my current curriculum to sell if He wanted me to buy MFW. There is a check in the mail right now. So I guess I better follow through!

I never used an IG, just used books for read alouds mainly. We have used Singapore Math when the kids wanted to do Math. Otherwise we just played math games. Basically, we have been close to unschooling. Is there anyone on this board who has come from a very relaxed approach to a more structured approach? Any ideas/encouragement would be appreciated! I do not know anyone who uses/has used MFW.

Blessings,
Mary in CO
The one thing that is really standing out to me is;
I prayed and asked God to allow my current curriculum to sell if He wanted me to buy MFW
You prayed, and asked Him for that, and it has now happened, so I wouldn't want to go against what God has directed you to do. :) A big fish comes to mind...

I am thinking Adventures would be a great gentle start to a more structured (don't get me wrong, it is a very flexible, very easy to use in real life) school time. You can use book basket to make it more challenging for your high level reader... and more gentle for the younger. Many of the activities and things will work fine for both. Probably even the 4 yo, maybe the 2 yo. (My little one loved much of Adventures).
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

jwood

Unread post by jwood » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:02 pm

I must say for your ages, I agree with the post before this and will not repeat her great advice here. Adventures sounds like a great fit. CTG will cover the Bible in depth.

I am sure God will lead you and give you peace about the right curriculum. I like the TM and enjoy having it laid out and I can add as much I choose to the daily work so it is very flexible. Of course I love MFW. HTH!
Jennifer
happy customer since 2002

jennygarcia

Unread post by jennygarcia » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:56 am

Hi Mary in CO,
Jenny from Littleton here. I have 4 children close to the ages of yours (9,8,6,4). I'm very familiar with the relaxed unschool approach but to tell you the truth when I found MFW and really gave it a fair try in terms of schedule and doing the assignments just as it said I was relieved to find something that gave my kids and I better structure and a launch point from where to go after just simply learning to read. You find that you still will sit on the couch and read a lot but the things you read can really launch you into some wonderful conversations with your children because you are focused to learn a certain subject. My sons and I especially loved the Heroes Then and Now biographies in ECC. We would have to tame ourselves from having hour long conversations about faith and purpose. The best days are when you as the parent and teacher see the lights go on in your childs interest and MFW is especially helpful with building and encouraging Christ like attitudes, peaking godly understandings in worldly affairs, and keeping the kids excited about it all.

In terms of how I split my time between theses great things I'm doing with my sons and the "I just got to get them reading" daughters, that's still hard but I'm managing. If I've learned anything it's GRACE. They will learn to read just when they need too, just wait on the right timing.

The primary LA books have been great. We're great readers but LA and grammar is not my cup of tea. They've been easy to implement and grade. I make sure that they do every assignment even the memorizations and dictations. I don't worry if were working a grade down. I'd rather they get it and understand it rather that go "oh no we're not at the right level".

I don't do writing strands but I am going to try again. My 1st problem: I have boys that want to fly through directions. Writing Strands 1st lesson: following directions without the help of mom. When I tried this last year it didn't go so well.

Like I said, I think you will be really pleased. My 1st year I didn't try to do the assignments just as I should. I tried to adjust it and tailor to fit us better and didn't do so well. The following year I went to the CHEC conference and sat in on a MFW class. It was so eye opening that I went home and said I was just gonna give it a chance just as it said. I'm very happy I did because I now can see myself homeschooling for the long term and my kids have been very happy.

I hope all this was encouraging and not overwhelming. God bless and good luck. I believe God always smiles down on us when we say yes to him!

Sincerely,
Jenny

Mary in CO

Unread post by Mary in CO » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:07 pm

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

I am sure that MFW is what God wants us to do and will be ordering soon. I really don't feel like being swallowed up by a big fish either! LOL.
I am actually really excited about it as I think this will be a positive change for us. Our lives have been very unstructured for the past year due to selling our home and moving as well as other changes. We are in need of some structure and I believe my children will thrive with more order in our school time.

I read some old posts and think I will call MFW to get advice on what my 6 year old should do for LA. I was blessed today to go to a local Christian bookstore which is half dedicated to homeschool materials. The owner had never heard of MFW, but I briefly looked through Spelling Power and Writing Strands 3. I am going to do Spelling Power with the 8 year old, but will wait until next year to try Writing Strands. It does look good. I saw the Following Directions assignment that you mentioned, Jenny. : -)

This message board has been really helpful. The archives are wonderful!!

Blessings,
Mary

Michelle My Bell

I love having the weeks already planned for me

Unread post by Michelle My Bell » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 am

I was thinking about how we are doing this year and I feel like this is going to be my most successful year ever now that we do MFW RTR. We have always had a bunch of different programs all put toghether by me and a homemade schedule, but I love having the weeks already planned for me. It is helping so much to keep me on track. I just finished week 7 with my 2 girls (ages 12 &9) and am excited to start week 8 on Monday. Well it took 7 years to find our niche, but we finally have! I love know what really works for us. It is such a blessing.

Each week I have been refining what I am doing with the girls and adding in a little extra writing or art, but I don't touch the MFW schedule. Why should I touch something that works so well.

I don't do the art suggested by MFW, and I didn't want to purchase anything, so I have been using my library to add fun lessons. I also didn't have the money for the music so I have added in my own by checking out CD's from the library and using the Mike Venezia books, following the MFW schedule.

Michelle
Homeschooler since 1998. First year with MFW, using Rome to Reformation and LOVING IT!

cbollin

Bunny trails

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:23 pm

lisaha wrote:I don't want to skip much in the curriculum, but, I do also like coming up with my own ideas and following bunny trails. Today after discussing air and doing the experiment I read a book on air and air pollution, and tomorrow they are going to do a write up and art project about air. I also skipped making the foil boats (short on foil bc someone forgot it at the store...I won't say who! ;)) But I drew three vessels and had the kids color and cut them out, make a map and label the places Christopher Columbus traveled and then gle the labeled ships on the path instead.

DO you all follow bunny trails and dig deeper, or do you follow the grid only? Do you switch things up on the grid to follow bunny trails without adding much extra time? Funny that we had a busy week, but we still got everything we needed done. Praise the Lord, I look at my week and have NO idea how it all turned out!
Well, my oldest is 8th grade, so following too many bunny trails gets us slowed down and not always finishing all subjects. So, enjoy the fun as long as it is working and getting done in the week. It's ok to sub a hands on project like that.

I tend to try to "do the grid" and then go back for trails and extra and individual interests after we're done. "get done with school first" and then have more fun. so we sometimes save hands on thing (like the foil boats) for later after we get the other stuff done. Or sometimes we'll start with all of the 3 R's stuff and then have lots of time to enjoy the trails.

Lots of fun ways that work in various stages of learning. Have fun!
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Bunny trails

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:41 pm

Oh, I have a serious bunny trail issue. If you read my too-overflowing "Ideas" forum posts, you will have all the evidence you need! And folks like you and I are very blessed to have a strong framework like MFW, so that we don't end up completely having gone nowhere at the end of the year!

I think the first factor is how many kids you have at home. More kids = fewer bunny trails, I would think. (But more fun in other ways...)

I think the second factor is being able to drop things just as easily as adding things. If you can't drop, then you probably shouldn't add. Otherwise, you'll just end up sinking the ship.

A third factor may be flexibility -- on all your parts. Kids may need to be able to wait until afternoons, and moms may need to incorporate things into lunchtime or light Fridays. It can be a problem at our house when expectations of pursuing something "now" get out of hand. Doing things "later" doesn't take away the connections -- it's a great form of review!

Like your wonderful week shows, fortunately for folks like us, it can often work out! Especially when they are little. I'm grateful that we took so many field trips and did so many fun things in years past. Now we can no longer squeeze them into an 8th grader's year, and our general lives are too unpredictable to plan tons of things, so I'm just glad we have them to look back on :)

Have fun,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Mexmarr

I Keep Coming Back Here So Why Can't I ...?

Unread post by Mexmarr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Melany wrote:Have you always used MFW?

Did you switch from a different curriculum to MFW?

I think one of the biggest reasons I keep coming back here besides that it is Biblically based and because it is all planned out. But I think that is also what scares me about it too.

With my current curriculum I have so much flexibility that if I don't start a week on Monday it is OK, or if I don't start the school year in August, it is OK. I guess some times reading older posts on here it seems like there is more of a stricter daily schedule, the order in which you do things each day, as well as it seems like things can quickly get thrown off schedule if you don't start on a Monday, etc. Is it really like this or is there more flexibility to it than I'm seeing?
It can be as flexible as you want it to be! Yes,some people like to do "Monday" on Monday, but I don't.

I take week one, and we work on it till it is done, and then I start week two. Sometimes, I will do several days of one subject in the same day, and none of another. Some weeks might take 4 days, some 6, or whatever I want. I make it extremely flexible and make the schedule work for me. It is super easy, and I find no complications doing it this way. I just make sure that I finish everything I need to do on each week grid before I start the next. Oh, and I start my year in January.

We LOVED Adventures. It was awesome and my kids begged to do school. We are loving ECC now. =)
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures

MelissaM

Re: I Keep Coming Back Here So Why Can't I ...?

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:32 pm

Just my background: DD10 did MFWK, and then we switched...did ToG for about a year and a half, then did our own thing for a while, then did Living Books Curriculum for about a year and a half, then switched back to MFW ECC last year in January. Now we have completed ECC and we're on week 4 of CtG. DS7 did MFWK last year and is doing MFW1 and tagging along in CtG this year.

The only things I can really say are that I am SO happy to be here. I was afraid after our great experience with ECC that I wouldn't like CtG as much. I always seem to have trouble with the 2nd year of something - 2nd year of ToG was really rough, 2nd year of LBC was really rough, so I had my anxieties. But it's wonderful, we're enjoying it so far so very much.

The more I stick around here and read the posts of the people who've done or are doing Adv, the more I kick myself for not sticking with MFW in the first place. I wish I had known what questions to ask back when dd was ready to start 1st grade. I wish I could say that I would have listened to the answers even if I had asked, but...I don't know, maybe I needed to switch around a bit to finally know where I really am supposed to be.

There is no perfect curriculum; you have to know your goals and priorities and find the program that mostly suits them, and then adapt as needed for your family. For us, the curriculum that needs the least amount of adapting and that hits our goals and priorities the best is MFW. And Adventures looks so sweet and fun and just great...I really wish I had used it when I had the chance.

(PS I had "gut" feelings - aka Holy Spirit promptings - everytime I switched that I should go back to MFW and never did...so if you keep ending up here, maybe there's a reason. Really pray about it.)

If you have not heard any of David Hazell's workshops, that might be a good place to start. If you listen to "What 21st Century Christians Should Teach Their Children" it will really help you see the mission and objective of MFW...and you can decide if that lines up with your family's goals.

HUGS and blessings for your decision.
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:47 pm

There is a lot of flexibility.

I have never started a MFW curriculum in August or September, and I don't think I have ever started one on a Monday. The days of the week are not even on the grid; neither are the numbered day of the year.

A few things I do:
I don't start a new week until the last week is finished. If it takes me more 'school' days to do a week worth of Bible, science, history, etc. I keep going with math & LA on those extra days.
We found MFW in January of 2010 so I have never been able to start a program in the fall.

Answers to other questions:
*If you don't end up liking ADV you could ship it back in the first 30 days; just don't write on the TM and don't open the student sheets until you are sure that you want to use it.
*Oh, I would encourage you to give it a try. If you keep coming back here your interest is strong. Pray about it and see if the Lord opens the door.
*I haven't always used MFW. In many ways I wish I had, it would have been easier.
*I switched from SL to MFW 1/2 way through my oldest K year two years ago. I tried HOD this past fall, and came back to MFW this month. I am very GLAD to be here.
*MFW is Bible based, which is the main reason I use it.
*It is planned out. Yet, there is a lot more freedom in it than the other two curriculums I used. One of the things I like about MFW is that it leaves wiggle room. The book basket alone allows me to pick books for my kids. The schedule isn't so packed that I can not implement book selections that I really want them to read. I get to pick their readers. Then the hands on activities take some creativity from me. My most recent is the middle of paper towel rolls and taped paper to make a 7 foot long scroll. My kids loved them! I ended up having to make 3. I am sure everyone on here has slightly looking different projects tailored to their kids; but that is part of the fun of MFW.
*Would it be possible to go to a convention this spring and see it in person?

There really is a lot of flexibility to MFW. That is one of the things I love about it, and that works for me. I feel like I can tailor it to my children, and it requires me to teach.

It would be great for you to look at a program. Keep in mind though that it is always much different to use a program, than to look at it. I never really find out what a program is truly like until I dive in. MFW is my breath of fresh air in home schooling.

I too encourage prayer. Blessings for your decision.

P.S. One more thing. On the workshop that Melissa mentioned David Hazel gives his scope and sequence for Bible. MFW has a scope and sequence for Bible! :-) It is one of the things I truly love about them and their program. I want my children to learn to read using a Bible reader, to learn ancient history with the Bible as the history spine, to memorize the book of James, to study every word of scripture in high school. These are good intentions that I know will get done since they are in our school day. If I had to add them in, and finish an entire other curriculum, I think it would be challenging to get it all done. Now I know it is in the plan and by their Junior Year of High school they will have truly studied the Bible in its entirety. It is nice to have it planned out ahead of time for me. It meets my top goal in the plan so that 'other' things aren't distracting us from our main goal. Does this make sense? In a well thought out well rounded academic curriculum we can fit in our goals.

More on this topic: Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:09 pm by gratitude

We just returned to MFW after 3 months with HOD. I noticed many differences between the two programs.

One difference was that in HOD everything was done for me. So the program was going to be what the program was going to be. I only had to implement exactly what was written in the TM. The questions and discussion were even done for me. So I think this fact would even out the experience people have with HOD. The experience with the program isn't dependent on what mom does. As long as mom follows the TM the program will be what it is as written. Does this make sense?

I see a lot of varying reviews on MFW too. I think one of the reasons is that Marie leaves more freedom for mom to individualize the program to each persons family. The program is partly dependent on mom. You may want to read the thread that is on what people love about ECC from last week or so on the board. I think these moms that had a great experience in ECC did the entire program and added books in with book basket and put themselves into the program. Does this make sense? http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 271#p82271

I know I have found in ADV that I have to put some of myself into it to make the most out of it. The program can be as much or as little as I make it. If I do all of the program as written and book basket and all of the hands on it can be very full indeed! :)

I guess the other thing I would add is that it does partly come down to personal preference. I love the fact that MFW has Bible everywhere, uses Bible as the spine in CTG, memorizes the entire book of James in EXP1850, and goes through the entire Bible in high school. These things are very important to me. I really missed the Bible integration throughout the program and daily readings directly from scripture in MFW while we spent 3 months with HOD. In MFW Bible is everywhere. I really did miss the Bible integration. MFW always brings a breath of fresh air into our home school for me and keeps our eyes focused on Him without so many distractions.

I hope this helps a little..
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:00 pm

gratitude wrote:The days of the week are not even on the grid;
bingo! many of us just call it Monday etc out of calendar habits.... but you can just do the next day.....

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 pm

LOTS of flexibility. :) And I have five children, including two with special needs. Plus I run the HR dept. for my hubby's company, and my home, and teach my children. :)

I'm one in which we started with MFW, jumped over to textbooks, but found our way back and stayed. :)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Yeah, I don't do Monday's on Monday - our's is on Thursday because I need our light day to fall on Wednesday (afternoon PE class and Piano lessons). And, if we get off, I just pick up the next day until we line up again (or, I might not do MFW on Wednesdays - just the 3 R's on Wednesdays - for a few weeks until we line up again).

I switched from Abeka (K - 2nd with oldest) when oldest was in 3rd grade. Have NEVER regretted it. It takes some getting used to this narration thing instead of answering workbook questions, and being flexible on some assignments, but we LOVE MFW and my very social butterfly dd isn't asking yet to go to a "real" school.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

albanyaloe

Rabbit Trails?

Unread post by albanyaloe » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:05 am

We're really enjoying using MFW ECC here in South Africa, though we are all very curious and tend to follow rabbit trails. The first 10 weeks we were very strict on staying on topic, but these last 2 weeks, we've sort of "grown" into MFW.

So, for example, we've looked a little further into aviation, with my 11yo, the interest was sparked by Nate Saint, and then into MAF operations here in Africa. Then we've expanded the egg experiment a little further and looked at arches and famous structures and architecture.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not, but my children have seemed to blossom more these last two weeks and enjoy MFW more.

What are your thoughts? Do you ever follow that old rabbit trail or are you strictly "to the map" ? Thanks for your input in advance,
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

cbollin

Re: Rabbit Trails?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:15 am

it looks a little different here...

we're...."get scheduled stuff done" then, you can explore on your own. If I start to see a pattern where topics are exciting and need explore time, then we get "other stuff first, to stay on track", then go for the independent learning approach. It keeps me from going overboard on things they like and let them take the lead on it, and that way I feel like we're both on track, and letting them enjoy the journey. and then there are some days that we only do rabbit trails for most of the day and catch up in a day or two.

the harder thing for me is not following rabbit trails, but knowing when to not let it take over, and when to let it start....

nothing wrong with encouraging more learning of topics of interest. :)

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:27 pm

albanyaloe wrote:What are your thoughts? Do you ever follow that old rabbit trail or are you strictly "to the map" ?
Everybody is a little different in how they handle their schedule. I have a really good friend who allows (and sometimes causes!) rabbit trails whenever something is interesting. If they take two years to get through one TM, then that's what they do. It's kind of a combo of unschooling and box curriculum. Math, Science and LA stay on track, but they can sit on other topics for a few weeks and discover all kinds of in-depth info.

I'm not that "loose" with our schedule. I like to complete an entire TM in one year. But for me, that means a calendar year - so if we're schooling in the summer because we took time off to do some fun thing in the spring, then that's what we do. I like to encourage my dd's interests and let her lead a little bit, but not "take over."

So, if you encouraged your ds's love of learning during that time, then I say more power to you. But I suggest that you consider what is going to work best for you in the long run. Are you devoted to having your children work through a year's curriculum in the set timeframe, or are you just using it as a guide? Taking an extra week here and there won't hurt, but doing it often will alter your school year quite a bit. As the kids get older it becomes more and more difficult to allow those rabbit trails, too, because school work takes longer and requires a more focussed commitment.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

albanyaloe

Unread post by albanyaloe » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:21 am

Thank you, for those comments. I am thinking about the fact that in the long run, this will lengthen the time we take to do a "year" of MFW, as you said, and think I will watch it and not follow every rabbit trail but perhaps just a few. I think it was such fun to see my son getting excited about things and seeing his interest. I suppose it's all about balance.

Thanks again,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

Cici

Customizing YOUR School Year!

Unread post by Cici » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:38 pm

Hey! I just wanted to share my experience & decision that made my (homeschooling) life easier!

3 things that changed my life (for the better) recently:

1. Being called to Homeschool
2. Discovering MFW
3. Customizing our school year

I'd like to elaborate on #3~
My DD's birthday is 1-11-08, she started K @ 4 (all girls private school). I enrolled her @ 3 (of course, I wish I knew the benefits of homeschooling at the time, but better late than never).
They advanced her to K @ 4. She kept up with the class & did pretty good.

I started our homeschool year last July to get a head start. Naturally, I started her in first grade. I pieced together my own "rigorous" curriculum, using Ambleside Online, SCM & I also enrolled her in Classical Conversations. To be totally honest, I did it because I thought that I could do a better job than a "boxed curriculum." Wow, that was a mistake, lol. Seriously, why did I have to learn the hard way?

I worked my little girl out. Even as I burned the both of us out, I still felt behind! Probably because I was "behind" there was no way to keep up with my crazy plan.

Anyway, majority of the families at my church uses MFW, so I started my research... I realized that it may not be best to take advice from people who switch curriculums every year, no offense, but that wasn't my goal, so why look to them for advice. I started looking for "veteran" homeschoolers that wasn't changing "schools" all the time. It's like pulling your child out of a physical school just because you don't like one teacher, a certain art project, or history book etc... Anyhow, you get the drift.

I don't need to explain why we chose MFW, but thank God we did!
We decided to start MFW 1st grade ASAP. I was afraid of the gaps we could possibly have & I wanted a smooth transition into Adventures. I had planned to do 2 days in one day to be able to start 2nd grade (Adventures) in the fall. We did that for about a month. It was doable, but I remember telling my husband, I can't wait until next year when I don't have to feel rushed & we can do it as written.

I weighed out the pros & cons of continuing to keep her one grade ahead & decided that we were going to embrace her age... Her reading is levels above, but I wanted her main curriculum to be age appropriate. We're still going through the phonics in MFW 1st, I want a solid foundation & find no need to rush her through just because it's "easy" for her. She is welcomed to go as far as she wants in her free time, which she does. She was scheduled to start 2nd grade @ 6.5 years old (or 7.5 years old).

Thank goodness I realized that I don't HAVE to start her in the fall!! *Sigh* I am starting our school year mid January! In 2015 we'll be starting 2nd grade (Adventures) a few days after her 7th birthday!

Now we are doing MFW 1st, as written... It's beautiful!

My DS is only one, but his Bday is in Nov, so it works out perfect for our family! He'll start MFW K just 2 months after he turns 5.
The busiest time for us is the ending of Oct. to beginning of Jan. Perfect time for our school "break." We can have fun with Birthday planning, Thanksgiving, Christmas & New Years!

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far. Just wanted to take some time to share, since I've been so blessed with others who have helped me!
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot
Mommy to our Prince (MFW Preschool) & Princess (MFW Adventures)
Blessed that God called me to Homeschool

Julie in MN

Re: Customizing YOUR School Year!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi Cici,
That was a fun read. I like hearing "the end of the story" or "the full journey." Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your chance to breathe!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

HSMom03

Unread post by HSMom03 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:23 pm

Great post! I can relate. I love the 3 points you listed! Age appropriateness is so important to me and MFW is so good at that! Too much pressure at young ages these days. We can't wait to start MFW in the fall. I also regret listening to advice about piecing it together myself. Finally doing what I should have done in the first place :D.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:06 pm

Thank you for sharing the wisdom you have found and your journey with us.

Congratulations on MFW1! It is a beautiful program.

Yes, you have learned the secret. MFW works beautifully one day at a time & in its entirety. I tried to rush it in the past and I learned that it falls apart that way. I think your year will be blessed.

Cici

Unread post by Cici » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:51 pm

Thank you all, for taking the time to read my post & for your sweet words!
My Father's World has been such a blessing in our life & it's so nice to have this board... full of wisdom & encouragement!
Have a blessed day!
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed May 07, 2014 9:50 am

Thanks for sharing your whole journey! It is wonderful to see how God works when we don't even realize He is doing it.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Cici

Comparison to "pieced together"

Unread post by Cici » Tue May 20, 2014 10:16 am

In the beginning of our journey we did CC & a "pieced together" curriculum using Ambleside & SCM. It was waaayyyy too much, both my 6 year old daughter & I, we burnt ourselves out, well, I burnt us out.

Half way through I discovered MFW & quickly switched. My "pieced together" curriculum was causing too much stress & I constantly wondered if I was covering all grounds etc...

Experiencing MFW showed me what a rich, (truly) God centered, well rounded curriculum looked & felt like. That being said, I had to make a choice on what to prioritize. I chose MFW :) I personally want to get the best out of MFW, so I'd like to follow their plan as close as possible.

I do enjoy the fact that she gets to work on public speaking weekly & I now treat CC as a co-op. Yes, it's an expensive co-op, but to me it's worth it. I no longer expect her to memorize every subject, she takes what she wants from it. If it becomes too much, though or if if demands more time (that we don't have) in the later years, then I'd give it up. Hopefully by that time, we'll have a Synergy group nearby ;)

Have a beautiful day!
Follower of Christ
Wife of a Pilot