Afterschooling - Has anyone used MFW for this? Grandkids,

kellybell

Afterschooling - Has anyone used MFW for this? Grandkids,

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:35 pm

randjj1 wrote:I'm really just asking for advice for an unusual situation. We did MFW K last year and were planning on using MFW 1st and K this year with my 6 yo and 5 yo (I already purchased the materials). Unfortunately I have had a lot of medical issues the last few months and dh and I decided the best thing for this year was to put the boys in public school.

Something I've considered is supplementing at home and basically "afterschooling" with MFW 1st and K, but think this might burn the boys out? Has anyone "afterschooled" with MFW?
Thanks for any advice,
Julie
Julie,
As for this year, you could try the afterschooling, but keep an eye on the little guys and see if they glaze over and are too tired. Both K and 1st would be great for that. Just pick something (perhaps Bible since they won't get that at PS) and hit it once or twice a week. Pick a time that works well such as after dinner or Saturday AM and just do a subject. First grade science is fun, as is Bible in both curricula. The other stuff can wait until you homeschool.

I think that 1st grade would be great for a 1st and 2nd grader next year. Beef up the 2nd grader's work with spelling, appropriate math, and reading. He probably will be where he needs to be with phonics so just have him practice reading to you (and you to him).

Hope you are 100% soon!
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

southernshae

Unread post by southernshae » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:58 am

Julie,
I can answer your question based on first hand experience with "afterschooling" MFW1st (not K). Short answer: It worked wonderfully for us. MFW definitely warmed my dh's heart towards homeschooling.

Now, for more details. I just spent about 30 minutes a night with her on the phonics. At breakfast, we would do the bible portion and she would sometimes start on her illustration. Often, she'd finish it/color it when she came home from school. Any of the week's fun bible activities can easily be moved to Saturday or Friday afternoon. On Sunday afternoon, after church, I'd sometimes have her get out her timeline (we made a fold-up accordion style one) and color the figures. Sometimes she'd get caught up on her bible notebook if we fell behind. I thought this was totally appropriate for a short Sunday afternoon activity.

As for the composition part of the notebook, because she was often tired after school, I'd let her narrate and then I'd write down what she said. Once we hit the New Testament and there is a Notebook page to be completed each day, we could NOT keep up the pace. So.....we just carried that over into the summer. This was perfect. Since she was home and not in school, I began then to have her actually do the writing portion on her own and I had lots more one-on-one time with her to work on these skills.

The portions of MFW1st that I didn't have her do was the math and the Proverbs copywork. She would work on Singapore Math (1A) during the school year and finished Singapore (1B) this past summer.

We did the science reading snuggled up on the couch...and the activities just whenever we could fit it in in the week. She loved this part.

You could do it slowly, and carry over anything not finished to summer or part of the 2nd grade year.

In short, our days looked like:

Breakfast: MFW1 Bible reading
Start illustration (if time)

Afterschool: Snack and Science reading
Finish illustration/narrate to mom (she loves to draw)

Before Bed: Read- Aloud (usually something from Honey for a Child's Heart) and then Phonics workbook and reading time----this was a treat because she was
allowed to stay up 30 minutes later than the littler ones, so she didn't mind.

I will add that this was possible because she had *very* little homework ...usually just some spelling words. My dd realized that she could do hers quickly on the bus ride home and be done with it. Your situation may be different if there is a lot of homework.

I did not let any afterschooling interfere with play when the weather was nice. We are fortunate in that we live out in the country and the kids have lots of outdoor play space. I feel it's important to add that we don't do activities outside of school (other than church). Once my dd was home, we were usually there to stay.

HTH and hugs,
Southernshae
4 dc (3 in ps, 1 dc at home)
MFW1 ...slowly.. with ds
Past user of MFW1, ADV, and ECC

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 pm

Praying for you and knowing that God will help you work out what is best for your family.

You could do the first together the following year and then Adventures together after that. You would just add the appropriate languager arts and math for the 2nd grader.

Wow "afterschoolling" ! What an idea and what a beautiful way that you did it. Thanks for sharing.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

randjj1

Unread post by randjj1 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:43 pm

Thanks Kelly, You are always so helpful and encouraging!

Thanks southershae for the details! Lucy, thanks for the encouragement.
Julie

cbollin

Afterschooling with ECC

Unread post by cbollin » Sat May 19, 2007 3:43 pm

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:34 am

Afterschooling..... finding a few ways to do parts of ECC at times when the children are home from the group school but aren’t so exhausted.

*Bible time/ Devotions could be done at night or at breakfast
*Missionary biographies could be bed time stories? Or weekend stories?
*Is it possible to tuck book basket books into your student’s backpack for free reading time at school?
*The “geography game” could be a fun family activity in the afternoon or evenings, or a weekend time – depending on how tired everyone is.

--crystal

Julie in MN

MFW in addition to public school?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:38 pm

Kathryn wrote:Hi all, I believe this is my first post on the message board.

We've used MFW Kindergarten with my almost 7-year-old daughter and are now slowly working through MFW 1st grade. My daughter is in 1st grade at public school for various reasons but I am hopeful to be able to homeschool at some point in the future, Lord willing.

We're going very slowly. We don't work on MFW material daily but an hour or two on the weekends and a bit a day or two during the week. I may give up the reading portions of MFW 1st as my daughter is reading quite well already and I'm satisfied that they are doing a good combination of phonics and spelling at school. I'm glad that Adventures can be spread out over 2nd and 3rd grades as that may give us time to finish MFW1 and take up to 2 years for Adv.

My question is whether anyone has used MFW as a supplement or in addition to PS and, if so, how did that work for you? Does anyone know if the Hazells have ever commented on this? If anyone recalls seeing them mention it, please share. Maybe we will be a guinea pig around here LOL :)

Thanks and blessings to you! We LOVE MFW around here :)
Have you given the office a call to ask them? I'd be interested in what you hear, since it might apply to grandparents spending time with their young grandchildren :) !!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Leah OH

Re: MFW in addition to public school?

Unread post by Leah OH » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:34 pm

We did MFW K and 1st grade with DD and MFW K with DS, then put them in PS last year. I had every intention of trying the exact same thing you are thinking of doing, but once they started school and started getting homework, activities, etc., there just wasn't enough time to fit everything in. Due to an out-of-state move, we are now homeschooling again and using Adventures.

What about doing MFW in the summer? That was a thought I had at one point.
Leah in NC, married to Jeremiah
MFW ECC with dd10
MFW ECC with ds8

momxnine

CTG/ECC for grandkids

Unread post by momxnine » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:00 pm

CTG/ECC for grandkids

Our first week in CTG went well! I just love MFW. :-) My older boys are in week 6 of AHL & WHL (Ben & I started later since we did a quick ADVENTURES study this summer) and they are doing well also.

And on top of that (I must be crazy....), I'm doing just the geography part of ECC long distance with my grandkids! I sent them all my books, including book basket books and student sheets and all the directions of what to do. They're only 3, 5 & 7, but they love studying about the world, so I simplified everything for them, got them each flag sticker books, passports and binders for their coloring pages. They had their first "Box Day" today and my daughter will start it on Monday with them. I'm secretly hoping that she'll have so much fun that she'll want to switch over to ALL of MFW. ;)
Last edited by momxnine on Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

4littlehearts

Re: CTG/ECC for grandkids

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:06 pm

So glad everything is going so well for you with your 3 boys. We will start CTG and MFW K next week.

Excited that you get to do ECC with your grandchildren, too. My SIL is using my ECC stuff this year with her kids and her kids seem to really enjoy it.

What an awesome grandma you are!!!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Love your ideas! Taking notes for my grandson :)

Have fun in CTG -- one of my fondest memories!

Julie

momxnine

Unread post by momxnine » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Just a fun little update....this ECC for my grandkids is fun. :) I just got the cutest passport Applications in the mail with each of them writing as best as they could and the cutest pictures for them came over my email. I have to do the picture developing because my daughter never goes anywhere that does pictures. This is way too much fun! They started last week and took two days to do Day 1, but that's okay, they had fun. : ) I've gotten some more book basket books too that I didn't find for my boys. I'm glad my youngest will get to go through it again in a few years. : )
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

Julie in MN

Afterschooling MFW?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 am

vonfirmath wrote:Has anyone tried Afterschooling MFW?

Particularly, next year, I am thinking of picking up the 1st year Bible reader and notebook to get my son involved in regularly reading the Bible.

He's already a very good reader, but of course they don't cover any of the bible stuff in public school. He's in K this year.
Hello,
There are a few posts about afterschooling over here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2050

I started "afterschooling" my grandson this year. He's in public school K, as well. He goes all day, due to a dual language program, so I don't like to wear him out, but as you mentioned, the character lessons are priceless. And I babysit him a lot.

My method is just to present ideas when time allows or boredom sets in, and let my grandson decide. I usually couch MFW-K in with other choices, so he doesn't feel pressured. "Well, after dinner we could read a story, or play a game, or do some of the kindergarten activities..."

Over the year, his interests have drifted widely. At first, he loved the games -- for the ones that were easy for him, he invented even more wild versions !! He also adored the Creation book, and wanted to make a second one. Later, he started being interested in the letter units, but mostly the songs, poems, tracing letters in salt, etc. Now since around Christmastime (after he was 6 for a bit), he has begged to do "activities" -- which to him means the worksheets. Well, not the letter tracing one -- his K teacher sends home pages of tracing, even though he's in the classroom for 6 hours a day. But he loves the other pages -- checking off the pictures that start with the sound-of-the-week, matching the words to pictures, putting together sounds on the blend ladder pages (and sometimes changing them to silly sounds), any fun math pages/activities (we don't do the basic daily math since he does that at school with 100th day celebration etc.). Sometimes he'll do a whole unit of worksheets in one day. He even asked me to pack them up when we took a trip to Florida(of course we never got to them). He also very much enjoys the little character/Bible sayings and the related Bible lessons. Sometimes we do other things from the grid, sometimes not. He's been very interested in the little lessons involving the globe. Playing hide-and-seek right after learning "I can't hide anything from God" was perfect. Oh, and just this week, he became interested in the Cuisinaire alphabet book and rods, and has been building the various pictures daily -- before this week, he had no interest so I set them aside.

This week, he made a couple of comments that really told me he is getting a lot out of this even as far as reading lessons (getting a lot out of the Bible is a given, of course :) ). One day he wanted to write something (he's into creating greeting cards these days, with all the recent holidays). He came to a letter we hadn't done together yet and said, "I haven't learned that one yet." In other words, he meant he couldn't read it well because he hasn't learned the MFW-K lesson yet, even though he's in a kindergarten class all day that must do far more with reading than our little after-schooling lessons. Another day, he was reading his little word list at the end of the current MFW unit (which is actually getting fairly long), and he noticed the apostrophe that was new. He was so excited! He realized it was another thing he "hasn't learned yet." It makes me feel like our very random, very unstructured activities and such are really making a difference even in his reading skills.

And he's actually asked to look at the catalog for 1st grade (because sometimes I tell him that he won't learn how to read a particular word until 1st grade). And he's excited for box day! I've homeschooled for some 11 years and this is the first time I've had a kid excited for box day :)
Julie

vonfirmath

Re: Afterschooling MFW?

Unread post by vonfirmath » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am

Thank you. My son's program is also full day and then he goes to an afterschool program that allows him to run around with kids (but also has a homework component so he COULD take something to work on during that part -- if he wanted to. Otherwise they have worksheets they give the K students so they are working when the other kids are.).

Mostly I love the MFW program and there are parts of it I don't want him to miss out on even though I have to work currently.
Julie in MN wrote:I agree. My grandson knows all the K Bible/character lessons by heart, and he really takes them to heart and tries to grasp them fully, asking questions and listening intently to the little Bible stories in the manual. In his bedtime prayers, he often thanks God for things in the K lessons, or pops out with phrases from them, like, "Thank you for making us wonderful," or, "Thank you for paying for my sins."

Maybe next year, we can figure it out together with our 1st grade after-scholars :)
It sounds like 1st Graders have a more homework than K students.

I'm planning on buying the Bible parts of the 1st grade curriculum and focusing on afterschooling the "History" parts of the curriculum alone -- A good base for ages to come and the one thing he will NOT be getting at public school.

I don't know how the 1st grade curriculum does science -- if its those separate books then I'll just find stuff around the house if need comes for doing more. We've certainly got enough experiment ideas around the house already and I really think most of it would not get done, so don't want to bring more stuff in. If I find I need more, I guess we'll be ordering again during the school year.
Julie in MN wrote:Fun to have someone to discuss this with :)

My plans so far are:

- Bible devotions and Bible story, which I guess is the "history" you mentioned, and totally agree it will be the most needed portion and the most loved !!
- probably the phonics at least briefly, since I don't trust the public schools to focus on phonics, and especially since my dgs is in a Spanish immersion school and I've tutored kids in immersion schools whose English gets a little behind
- hopefully do the Enjoying Art cards, but probably won't have time for the art lessons (maybe another year)
- not sure on the math, maybe skip that or maybe work on the flashcards a bit and see what the new Unifix Cube activities are (I've always liked those); this year my dgs likes the occasional K math activity (measuring himself compared to a penguin, for instance), but he already gets a lot of the daily things in his class
- science, probably skip as you mentioned, unless we need some more hands-on fun then I can order it later, like you also said ;)

Yes, I'm not liking the homework the public schools send out. After 6 hours a day in kindergarten I can't see why he has work to do at home every night... My oldest son's K teacher started teaching in the 1960's and told me that at that time, K children worked on knowing their colors...
My son has had almost NO homework this year -- some special projects and urging to "read every day" (which he does anyway). But they evidently send home a weekly packet in first grade.

In the Extended Day childcare they have "homework" time everyday so hopefully he will get most of that done at childcare and we can spend the evenings on other stuff.

Esp because he just recently asked me "Mom can you homeschool me on Saturdays?" So I'm going to have to figure out something to do over the summer as well I think.
--Sarah in Austin, TX
Mama to DS (8/3/2007), DD (due 8/5/2011)

Julie in MN

Using ECC over the summer with ps children?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:53 am

Wumsmama wrote:Hi! I am looking for any advice on using the ECC curriculum as an enrichment program over the summer for my public-schooled children. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with doing something similar, or, if you’ve used the ECC curriculum, if you think that this would work.

My DS (8 ½) will have just completed third grade, my DD (4 ½) will have completed a homeschooled kindergarten program, but will be entering kindergarten (again) in the fall in ps because of her age, and my youngest DS will be 3 in June.

I’m looking to supplement in history, geography, science, and would like to expose my children to the different cultures of the world- all things that I believe have been lacking for my eldest in ps. I was thinking that ECC would be a great place to start.

I will just have the summer to devote full time to the curriculum, and then would either go at a slower pace during the ps year, or drop it until the following summer break (depending on how the program is going). I am a teacher myself, so I’m thinking that I could easily condense or add to lessons if need be. Lastly, I wanted to add that I was considering creating my own unit just for the summer, but the MFW program just seems to fit in so perfectly with our needs and will save me a TON of planning and resource collecting time! TIA!
I brought my youngest home to school in 3rd grade for ECC and it was a wonderful year.

I started MFW-K with my grandson last summer, and have been "afterschooling" him with K this year. I definitely think using ECC in the summer could be fun, educational, and promote some Biblical family time.

My method with a 6yo who already has public school is to just do what he wants to do. With several kids, you might need to take more of the lead, to avoid the chaos of several kids wanting to do different things. But generally, there's a lot less pressure to "teach" when you know they're getting more school elsewhere. So I don't have to worry about handwriting practice or small muscle development through coloring or doing every bit of reading practice. We can enjoy games and activities, and honestly I think younger kids learn more from those than from trying to get the pencil to do what you say should be done :) The geography game in ECC is like that -- don't skip it! Try to fit in nature walks, too. Cooking can be lunch and a cultural experience. And picture books, my 3rd grader and I read tons of those in ECC, from all over the world. Other kids like crafts, or recipe books, or any of the other ideas on the book basket list.

The other thing I'd mention is that my grandson's interests have changed over the year. Lately, he's really into "pages" (anything that looks like a worksheet, which was a huge change for him, kind of a mark of "success" in his eyes, I think). So, you might allow for your kids to be really into one aspect of ECC initially and later into something else, without the pressure to present it all in one summer. Maybe right after ps, they won't want to make a notebook, but after a few weeks, the mapping and flags and other notebook pages might become their favorite thing.

The one thing I'd do all summer is Bible. What a wonderful thing to see little ones praying together for the world. Enjoy,
Julie

Wumsmama

Re: Using ECC over the summer with ps children?

Unread post by Wumsmama » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:45 pm

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Julie! I went ahead and ordered the ECC basic package and just received it! I couldn't be more thrilled. I definitely think that this will work out perfectly with my plans. Your input was very helpful in making my decision!
Creid,
Bobbie
DS 8 1/2
DD 4 1/2
DS 2 1/2

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 pm

Oh, how fun, a box day! You'll have to keep us updated on how it goes. There are lots of times questions about afterschooling here, and your posts could be helpful to others in the future. (Even to me, with my grandson!)

Happy day,
Julie

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:33 pm

I saw your post and just enjoyed reading it. I was just thinking that if for some reason I could not continue to home school (finances constantly threatens that)...I would still use MFW as enrichment for history, bible, and science. I think you will really enjoy it over the summer! You can probably condense 2 weeks into 1 since you won't be doing all of the other subjects in full. Have a great summer & enjoy your box day! :-)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

newly ordered curriculum

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 pm

cls08 wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:27 pm
All of my kids are in a private Christian school near our home. I have taught special classes such as PE and Art at the school since my oldest began 1st grade. The children are now in 5th, 4th and 1st. Before they were school age I thought I might homeschool. I went to conferences and we did sing, spell, read and write, but once #3 came along I just didn't feel like I was capable.

We have already started the year at the school and I am teaching..... but yesterday I up and bought the 1st grade curriculum basic package from My Father's World. I don't know what I am doing. :) I feel I can supplement what is being learned in school with this curriculum, plus, maybe I can get my feet wet and see if we should do a major change next year. I like the looks of the Bible notebook and I think I can use the materials to supplement what my child is learning in 1st grade. Praying about it, but feeling one way one day and another the next.

Well, have a great day everyone!!
MFW newbie
Hi and welcome!
Your post brings back memories for me. I first brought home a high schooler who was having trouble in public school. However, a year or so later I felt a desire to bring home my youngest (almost 9 years younger), and I spent a year asking every homeschooler I met why they homeschooled if they weren't having any problems. It was only after I brought him home that I realized that homeschooling gave me the time to parent the way I'd always dreamed I would, teaching him character and faith and the meaning of information and the awesomeness of a great story.

Anyways, I did use MFW-1st with my grandson. I actually did K over his public school K/1st years, and we're doing 1st over his 2nd/3rd years. I've talked about things we've done a few times, let's see, try this post...
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 650#p97650

I have loved our time together in MFW-K and 1st, even if it isn't full-time. I focus on what's important to me (i.e. Bible) and then we pull in phonics when I want to show him something or math when he wants to do that. Marie has a lovely way of making it all reach a child at the perfect level, as if she's kneeling down and explaining just to him at his eye level. She combines important stuff with his need to have fun, too. It all ties together, so after listening to a Bible story, he practices reading (a shortened version), and then he absorbs the story and reproduces it in his little notebook. I always enjoy his young take on things: For the 10 commandments he wrote "the 10 rules of peace"; the 12 spies were "the 24 eyes"; Jericho was "a strange battle."

If it would help, you could include the older kids in the Bible lessons. I used the MFW-1st Proverbs as copywork for my son when he was in about 7th grade -- good stuff for a young man. Also, checking your other kids' comprehension and phonics skills and so forth is a good exercise when first bringing them home, and that would come out naturally if doing some of the 1st Bible summaries and such with their sibling.

Best wishes on your big decision,
Julie

Appie

Re: newly ordered curriculum

Unread post by Appie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:33 pm

I just took the plunge this year so I do not have any wise homeschooling mom advice, yet, but I assure you these other ladies here do. I treasure their wisdom.

I did so much research. Thank God He led me to MFW, because it's simply wonderful. It sounds like God is working in your heart, and as we all know, you will not fail if God has led you here. You listed all the reasons homeschooling is the best choice for so many of us. I really do not think you would regret it. My only regret so far is that I missed 7+ hours a day, 180 days with her for kindergarten.
Mother to three precious daughters.
Ruby is 6
Carra is 2
Baby Iris is 11months