I've always used MFW (except for one do-it-yourself year) so I have no direct experience with other unit studies. When we decided to homeschool, we soon found Sonlight and Weaver to be the "top two" for us, we went to convention, saw MFW, got confused by finding something else, went home empty handed, prayed, and have been MFW fans ever since.pjssully wrote:Just wondering if there are any people who have used other unit studies and then switched over to my father's world. What was your reason for making the switch. I need to decide. Any feedback?
Here are some of the things that made MFW better for our family:
1. I don't think I could handle two big programs at once for different aged kids. I can handle a big (Adventures and beyond) MFW program alongside MFW's K or 1st grade because K and 1st are quick and easy (but effective).
2. MFW does such a great job of integrating Bible into their program.
3. MFW is less expensive. We buy the deluxe packages and they are less than other programs. The packages contain the books you really need as well as those you will use over the course of the year. For the remainder of the books (those you read through once or don't really "need" to have), we rely on the library. Works for us.
4. We subscribe to the "less is more" philosophy that MFW seems to follow. MFW resources (such as Spelling Power or ILL) are inexpensive and easy to use, so they don't take up much time or money or brain cells in preparation. The things MFW recommends get right to the point and lack "fluff."
5. MFW includes some already-thought-out hands on projects. My kids like these projects but I am not good and creating them. So, the TM already has them (and for most of them, we've got the needed items already at home).
6. I like the MFW community here on the board and knowing that if I really needed to talk to someone about MFW, I can pick up the phone and speak to someone that really is connected with the program, not simply a "rep."
ANyway, in all fairness, you should post on other boards and see what they say.
Oh, and don't forget to PRAY. God knows what will fit your family best! And, he wants to answer that prayer.