Compare MFW to other unit studies with activities

Poohbee

Re: Is ECC going to be boring?? What about MFW K?

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:20 pm

We will be using ECC this coming year, so I have no experience with that, but, boy, it does look like so much fun! I can't wait to get started with it! I just had to chime in about K, because not much has been said about that so far. We LOVED the MFW K program. It is such a gentle introduction to structured learning. I love that it can be accomplished in about 60-90 minutes each day. Also, it can work for kids at different levels. If your child doesn't yet know letters and numbers, that's okay, because that is what they will learn during the K year. Or, if your child already knows the letters and sounds or can even read already, you can still use the K activities and just go at a faster pace or something like that. And, K is so much FUN! The science topics are wonderful, and the hands-on activities are awesome! We loved tasting different kinds of apples, using clay to make the different stages of a butterfly's life cycle, watching grapes turn into raisins, etc. There is a character lesson and Bible truth to go with each science topic, and I love that each topic goes with the letter being studied. My eldest dds K year was wonderful! And, now my second dd can't wait to start K this fall! You'll surely have fun with MFW K! Oh yeah...and your dc will learn a lot, too! :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Crystallea

Unread post by Crystallea » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:33 pm

Absolutely, positively NOT boring. We loved it, loved especially the food!!!!
Crystal
Wife to Randy, mom to Gavin 27, Ryan 24, Dawson 11 Bailey James 11, Brianna 10, Melissa 9, Jack & Sam 6, Micah 5
Blessed to have adopted youngest 6.

NicoleJ

Unread post by NicoleJ » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Thankyou, thankyou! That's what I wanted to hear!! I am excited about doing this program now! I am still tossing up between ECC and WP's Children Around the World. Hmm.. too many great programs to choose from!!

lisaha

The grass is NOT greener! LOL!

Unread post by lisaha » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:20 am

Confession time! I got a free unit study curriculum from a friend last year. I thought I might try it this year and if I couldn't pull off the lesson planning. I decided to pull out my non fiction books and the curriculum guide book and start lesson planning for the year.

About 1 or 2 hours into it, I had a massive headache, not enough books to make enough lessons, not enough to make it more for my oldest, was not creative enough to find different projects for different ages, I ran out of creativity for all of the lesson plans, and I found out that I REALLY DISLIKE lesson planning! I came out of the camper to tell DH all about it and asked if I could order ECC instead! LOL! He told me that planning lessons myself was not a good idea before I even tried! LOL! I guess I had to see for myself if I would enjoy it and pull it off. I don't enjoy it and he is all for ordering ECC! LOL!

Thank you Lord for a program in which I can combine my children, teach them together, and IS PLANNED FOR ME! I can add a creative project or change one slightly for my creative side, like I did with Adventures, but I don't have to do everything, the books are there, the planning is done and my children LOVED it and THRIVED in it last year. Last year, for the first year ever, they loved school on most days and wanted to continue learning throughout the summer. Two days after we finished Adventures they asked to start another one. They reread most of the books this summer and "played school".
WE are expecting our 6th in Nov, and I was nervous about keeping on schedule with the new baby, but maybe we will start in August and take a month off in Nov. At least I don't have to have the stress of pulling together school for everyone! I looked at many other curriculums this summer, bc I like to look at them, knowing that the children enjoyed MFW and we could go back. Many that are planned for you, you would have to do several different programs for different ages, those that are "unit study" and combined often require extensive lesson planning. The grass is NOT greener and I'm glad I figured that out with a free curriculum and before the school started so I have time to order what works for our family!

Julie in MN

Why use MFW?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:56 am

oneboyonegirl wrote:I've been homeschooling my two children for four years now. I've come to realise this year that what we are using doesn't fit with my daughters style of learning. She is definitely a visual learner so constant reading doesn't work with her. I'm looking to change curriculum for next year and I'm torn between MFW and another program. I'd appreciate any help you can give me in regards to how hands on MFW is in terms of activities.

We are at the end of our four year history rotation and are due to study ancient history next school year. Therefore, I would like to start MFW with CtG. I look forward to reading your thoughts.
Lyn
Hi Lyn,
I'm sure you'll receive many good replies. But as you wait, I'll give you some links to past conversations about these kinds of questions. For instance, this thread links to comparisons to other programs (which might not be named specifically, but general comparisons cover many things you might be thinking about):
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4098

As for the really general question, Why use MFW, I like Mike's answer here, and there are more good answers if you follow the entire thread for 2 pages:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 191#p44949

And here's one of my posts about why I chose MFW. I will add that in my personal faith journey, I was really misled by folks who skipped around in the Bible in various ways, leading to some very strange conclusions, so I am sensitive to that with my children. I've looked at other programs and just felt that they often skipped around in the Bible, without leading children to really know what they are reading & where it is.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 410#p45410

HTH,
Julie
P.S. Give some consideration to starting with ECC, too.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

ChristyH

Re: Why use MFW?

Unread post by ChristyH » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm

I feel MFW is balanced in terms of activities (hands on) and being able to get it all done. The books are read at a little slower pace and we tend to remember them better, because they are "flying by." MFW takes us including math from about 8am to 1pm to complete everything. My dd in eighth grade a little longer sometimes. Our previous program would take us until almost three but then again I was trying to do two cores. Now everyone is pretty much on the same page and learning together.

I have not used HOD but I have looked at it. MFW has a more outward focus and HOD appears to be more inward. We personally needed a little push to move "outside" of the house with our christian faith. Our new church helps with that too.

The bible aspect or portion with MFW is so much richer, My dd who was doing core 6 last year, not sure what the new letter for it is, but it is the one with The Bible Field guide for it bible portion and she asked me after going half way through the book how it was suppose to help her walk closer to the Lord. She felt it was a bit frivolous.

I am sure other will give you much better info that then I did. ;)
Married Scott, 1992
Erin, 13
Connor, 10
Gavin, 10
ECC 2007-2008
CTG 2008-2009
RTR 2009-2010
1850 to modern times 2011

mothergooseofthree

Unread post by mothergooseofthree » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Lyn,
I have used SL for 5 years, then HOD for 3 years, a touch of MOH, and now MFW. Here is a post that I wrote shortly after we started:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 030#p70030

Now that we are further in, I only love MFW more. The others are great programs, but doing two levels of HOD or SL was more than I could take. HOD was taking my oldest forever each day. It also took me forever...I was doing all of his stuff that I was to do with him, plus trying to do Beyond with my younger two. A lot was getting skipped from each guide just because I didn't have time. Plus, I didn't discuss much with them because I felt pressured to "check that off and move on" so that we could get things done. Now, we discuss everything to our hearts' content. I am really discipling my dc and I am amazed at what even my 6yo is remembering.....mostly because I now feel no pressure to hurry and we really talk. Also, everyone is studying the same thing. This causes our "studies" to become family conversations or free-time play ideas.

Now, we are getting history, science, and Bible covered. Plus, we are doing the composers. Art isn't interesting to my boys and the book MFW schedules was over my dd's head, so she does Atelier on her own. Otherwise, we do pretty much everything on the schedule....oh, well we already had our LA and math worked out, so I don't use MFW's recommendations for those subjects. I actually use things that are probably more teacher intensive. But, that is my focus...skills.

As I continue into CtG, I grow more in love with MFW. My family has been unified in our studies and we even include dh now in projects and experiments. Our school day has been streamlined which makes for a less stressed mommy and an older ds that now reads for pleasure. He never picked up a book after completing his HOD Preparing or CTC workload. We now have time for extras that I want to add in: logic, typing, interesting books. My kids get to practice a bit of studying in the way I would really love to, delight driven studies, via book basket. I stock it with some books on the topics we are studying and some things that each has shown an interest in learning about. They enjoy getting to pick what area they want to go deeper with. And, yes, I like that school doesn't take all day. MFW felt light when we first started. Then I realized that often the other curricula used two or three different readings per day to teach the same information. If we read it and discuss it and then notebook about it, we usually remember it better than they did by reading about it from several sources. And, they are not saying, "But, MOM, we just read about that in the other book." So, it does feel light, but it is covering everything just as well. Then, you are free to go deeper via book basket or not if you are busy that day. The lighter schedule has also given us the freedom to do our teacher intensive curricula for skill subjects. The crafts are usually simple, which causes them to get done. If you are wanting to build elaborate models and such, you will not get that. But, if you are looking for simple, fun things that the whole family can enjoy, that's what MFW has for you. I am not a crafty mom and my dd is my only crafty kid. She is satisfied with the projects, yet they are not too much so my sons enjoy them as well.

As for SL vs HOD. Neither is easy to adapt to a wide range of ages. HOD is "sweeter" than SL. That is hard to explain, but it just is. HOD had the hands-on stuff, but I could never get my ds to do it. HOD also has all of the narration as such, while SL had the lists of questions to discuss. For me, HOD's guide was too scattered, but others love it. That is just a preference thing. HOD has science integrated into it so that it corresponds with the history study (as does MFW), while SL schedules it completely separate and it has nothing to do with the history.
Hope all of that helps!

proud2bmykswife

Unread post by proud2bmykswife » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:57 pm

I used HOD for a while last fall and it was my dream curriculum at first, even though both my dh and I had reservations about some of the books used. We thought I would be able to discuss what they were reading, but with 7 children at home ages 2-18, it was too much to fit it all in. I still think it can be a wonderful curriculum, if it fits your goals and standards. But we were concerned about some of the books that were used (one for ages 8-10 detailed a young girl worshiping the sun) and some of the crafts (making a golden calf out of edible playdough, taking it apart and eating it - for ages 6-8). Many families have no problem with those things, but we just didn't want to take that risk with our children. We have some young ones that play act most of what they read/have read to them and we didn't feel it was appropriate for our family.

I am planning on ordering MFW next week. We did use it a couple years ago, but didn't stick with it due to family medical issues, but those are past now. I haven't seen anything in the MFW booklists for elementary that gives me much concern as inappropriate. My advice, really pray, seek the Lord, and your husband's advice as to where he would like his family to be heading. So many times we homeschool moms leave our hubbies out of the equation. I know some don't want to be involved, and that's okay, but many do.

Laurie
Laurie, married to my hero 27yrs
dd 26 getting married in June, 23, 20; ds 25 in India
dd 16, 13 AHL
dd 10, 8 ECC, 6 1st, 4 1/2 K

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 pm

In terms of the activities - I've found them to be pretty doable in ECC and K. Not sure what year you're looking at doing, and I haven't done the other years yet, so I can't tell you about them.

In the last couple of weeks we've done several projects/experiments/activities that I would not have done with other curriculum, because the schedule always seemed to be so full already. With MFW, the schedule is full, but the activity time seems to be factored in. I don't think I'm explaining this well, but projects are getting done a lot more now than they were when we were using different curricula (we've jumped around a bit with different programs). We still don't get to them all - maybe I am just too disorganized - but we do a fair amount and we are learning a lot and having a lot of fun.

Hth and that you have peace in your decision-making,
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

IdahoGrown

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:19 pm

We used 6 cores before making the switch to MFW. We really enjoyed our SL years but then realized (like you) that it was no longer a good fit for us.

What I love about MFW:
The Bible is first and foremost. Scripture readings, memory verses, biblical integration with history lessons...
The book basket! It allows us good options if we have time to delve deeper into subjects.
The Charlotte Mason feel it has.
Our school day isn't ALL about history.
Hands on activities.

That about sums it up! This is our first year with MFW and it has been great and low stress. I already have next years MFW sitting on the shelf just waiting!! :-)
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

rebeccal2002

Unread post by rebeccal2002 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:44 am

ChristyH wrote:I feel MFW is balanced in terms of activities (hands on) and being able to get it all done. The books are read at a little slower pace and we tend to remember them better, because they are "flying by." MFW takes us including math from about 8am to 1pm to complete everything. My dd in eighth grade a little longer sometimes. Our previous program would take us until almost three but then again I was trying to do two cores. Now everyone is pretty much on the same page and learning together.
I could have written this exactly. We just came over to MFW a couple of months ago and I am loving that decision. I'm calmer, the kids seem to be learning more in less time and it's just all around a better fit for our family. (5 kids, Oldest 11, youngest 23 months, with new one due in June.)

Rebecca
HS'ing since 2006, MFW since 01/2011 :)
2015/16: ECC (2nd time around w/ 3rd, 6th and 8.5 grader), WHL (10th). Also 2nd half of K and 1st for 6 year old.

Finished K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850, 1850-MOD, AHL

and 4 year old helping!