Placement - Pros & cons for changing the order of the years

kellybell

Placement - Pros & cons for changing the order of the years

Unread post by kellybell » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:18 am

4Truth wrote:Chronology aside, reasons for doing CtG before RtR? I've promised my dd we'll do RtR next, but I'm wondering if there are some compelling reasons to do CtG first, aside from the timeline. This dd has done some Ancients and Old Testament (enough to be familiar with the Ancients period). My 2nd dd (8) has learned some of the OT at church and in family devotions, but not to the extent that her older sister has.

We were all set to start RtR after the first of the year, but I've been reading some posts in the archives about CtG and want to make sure we aren't missing something *important.* ;o)
I recommend doing the history in order. It makes more sense to me because history builds on itself. We're doing RTR and often refer back to what we discussed or learned in CTG. Our CTG knowledge helps RTR make sense. However, RTR would still be perfectly doable without this CTG knowledge. I just think RTR is richer in light of CTG.

However, I realize that there are situations that might cause a family to do RTR first. Perhaps you've already covered Greeks and Egyptians in a different program and you want to move on. Perhaps, for some financial reason, you cannot afford to get CTG first. Perhaps there's some community program running this year that features the Romans and you really want to be participating in that and it makes more sense to do RTR...

Do what works for your family but realize that CTG belongs before RTR when possible and when there are no other reasons to shuffle it around.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:08 am

My advice is to do RTR and enjoy it! It is a fun year. It's wonderful to capitalize on your dd interest. Except for the Biblical history and the feasts, I have enjoyed RTR better than CTG. I think each year gets better. If you continue with MFW you will eventually get back to CTG. So don't worry about it. You are on a good path with MFW.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:06 am

Thank you for that reassurance, ladies! I decided to do the Thanksgiving unit from Adventures this week because we had bought Adv. after Thanksgiving last year.

Lori said, "You are on a good path with MFW." When I mentioned yesterday morning that we ARE going to do some school this week, Kayla said, "Is it all writing stuff?" (workbooks) with great disdain on her face. I assured her it's not. She said, "Good, because I hate doing all writing!" I asked her if she'd rather do all reading for school. She emphatically replied NO. So then I pulled out our Adventures binders and she exclaimed "Yay, I love this!"

MFW seems to be just the right balance!

I will look around at upcoming community activities and see which (if any) lends itself better to CtG or RtR, but I think I'll probably go ahead with RtR. I know that there's a Renaissance Festival around Labor Day, so that might be a nice way to wrap up RtR!
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:09 am

We went to a Renaissance Festival last Thursday. It was a lot of fun! They have it every year at the same time so next year they will probably get more out of it since they will have completed RTR by then.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

david

MFW cycle

Unread post by david » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:17 pm

Dear Donna,

I thought I would pipe in from the office just briefly. I fully read both threads regarding the placement of your children and your proposed solutions. First we want to welcome you to MFW. We are glad to hear that you feel MFW is the right program for your family. Your situation highlights one of the reason MFW developed. We all have experienced the chaos pulling programs together ourselves, trying to keep up with every homeschool philosophy, trying to maintain chronological history with every one of our child, etc, etc. MFW's goal is to give life back to families by taking all the chaos and putting it together in a way that is easiest for families to follow.

If it were not for your promise to your daughter regarding RTR, here is what MFW would recommend to smooth your path and get everything back on track.

Start with ECC (it is foundational for all other programs).

After ECC decide where you are in your history cycle CTG, RTR, or US/World History -- Jump forward to the point of your determination then follow the cycle as it is written without adding anything to it. Let MFW do the rest. This will take the conflict and chaos away from trying to micro-manage all three children's schedule 5-10 years into the future. Every perfect plan will be spoiled. Only our Father in heaven knows what your life holds for tomorrow and even more 5 years in the future. If you let MFW guide you and you simply follow the lead of the curriculum you will find yourself free to pursue what really matters in life -- like teaching your kids to live kingdom principles and cook a good meal.

Perhaps, if you let your oldest daughter freely read the missionary stories in ECC and engage her in prayer for the nations, she will release you from your promise. She can always read materials about the RTR period in her free time if she is that interested.

I hope you understand where I am coming from with this.

David -- Author's husband

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:30 pm

WHAT?! David, you want me to release control of our children's future to our Lord?

Just kidding... sort of. Oh, it's SO hard not to feel like I have to have every dot and tittle in place for every day of their lives until marriage! Especially when I feel like I've already messed up so much and want to make it right.

I do understand what you're saying. I will share your post with my husband and see what he thinks....how to proceed from here. He may not want me to "bend" on my promise, or he may happen to agree with you. ;o)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Shelly Best

Unread post by Shelly Best » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:21 am

Donna,

Funny to see David jump in on your question! "Hi David!"

to ditto his comment in response to the years of designed planning to MFW. As our family has gone through seven years using MFW, our family has grown and the impact of "Training Hearts and Minds of Families" is real!

We have captured the truth of Bible and the maturing child. In ECC the child is introduced to God, in CTG, the child sees God as God over all gods, in RTR the child sees the battles of Relationship with God, if you are in Adventures, the child sees the relationship of God and Jesus, in 1850 the child sees God the provider and us as the overcomer. With that all connected to the timeline of History. If you divided or delete a part of Bible from history, you do not give the full content of what MFW is about.

We have gone back to our previous years a number of times to pick out different things from there. We have covered the whole content once, so the children can relate to pieces now. They do not relate to the pieces or separation of the curriculum the first time through. SO with that said it is important to cover the whole content of the chosen curriculum the first time through to not confuse the timelines of history.

YES, they hate the writing....I do too! I want to do all the fun stuff as much as they do. That is why I stay so firm on the children to finish by noon. WE DO REWARD THIS BECAUSE WE PUSH them KICKING AND SCREAMING some mornings all the way through! So we can do the fun stuff and be creative to pick apart a previous year of history.
Blessings,
Shelly of CA
wife to Mike;
mother of Hannah(13), Michael(12), Thomas(9)
MFW since 2000

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:00 am

Shelly, this part really convicted me:
Shelly Best wrote:If you divided or delete a part of Bible from history, you do not give the full content of what MFW is about.
That has actually been one of our "issues" with some churches... not pulling it all together to see the "big picture" of who God really is and His plan throughout history.... and WHY knowing history in context of the Bible is so important! It really helps identify who we are in Christ and our purpose for being here. I really hate curriculum that just "adds" scripture to the academics, as if it's a completely separate subject. It's not!

I'm beginning to see more and more how MFW -- in its entirety -- teaches a "complete" and truly biblical worldview. RtR would be so much fun, and while "fun" is an important part of life and one of the good things God has given us, it shouldn't be the primary factor in our decisions.

I think I'll print out these two threads for my hubby to read this weekend while we're out of town and he has some down time.

cbollin

Both ECC & RTR in same year?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:50 am

lily wrote:Hi new friends in my Father's world! I have not yet used MFW & am contemplating where to start. We have done ancient history over & over again (using other curriculums) & it's time to move on to the Rome to Reformation period. I will have a 3rd grade & a 6th grader next year (both boys) & the 3rd grader is advanced in his reading skills.

My boys are really into knights & that sort of thing. In fact, it was Chuck Black's series with the knight & biblical theme that really got my 6th grader interested in reading outside of school & having any sort of affection towards books. We are a bit burnt out in school (had a boring year of dry learning) & need a "pick-me-up" year full of learning things that they are already motivated in. This is why I am turning to MFW - think it will offer us the joy of learning again - & also why I think starting in the RTR would be a real draw for my boys. They would be excited to hear we're going to be learning about those things (& yes I know we wouldn't get to those till about the 20th week or so) & I think it would offer us a great year.

I know MFW encourages you to start with ECC & I've heard that you might not have the skills to do the geography in the other courses if you don't do ECC first. ECC looks really good to me as well & my boys are lacking in geography - so I desire to do that as well. But if I start with ECC, then the advice I've received from MFW would be to then move into the US history studies so my jr. higher would get a thorough study of US history. I really don't want to skip this time period because I know it would be a real boost for my boys. When I spoke with MFW, I forgot to tell them about our needs for refreshment & for having my boys highly motivated (which would come from the RTR study) - so am asking you.

Do you have an alternatives to offer? Can you do part of ECC each year over a couple years & then do the other history-based studies? Any input you have would really be appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Kindly in Jesus,
Lily
I wouldn't do ECC and RTR the same year. That wouldn't meet your goals to have refreshing times and all of that. Both are full programs.

If you do ECC, consider a simple and fun alternative for castles and knights and all of that: do some fun stuff about castles and knights during reading time, or "free afternoon time".

You could get the deluxe items in RTR and let them build the castle, enjoy the stories for their reading time. let them play chess. Or even find quick and fun unit studies to do on light and independent Friday. Let 'em dress up as middle ages characters who are pretending to be tutored in world studies. Let them read through Story of the World vol. 2 to play catch up from ancients to middle ages. Keep it light.

That way they get school done in ECC (if that's what you go with), and then they can have fun while learning and still have play time = educational fun time meeting their interests.

Just one way of doing it. We "get done" with school and do stuff that is interesting to us.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Both ECC & RTR in same year?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:18 am

I also agree on not doing 2 programs in the same year -- you won't get the best of either.

Here are a couple more ideas that appeared in my brain:

1. I wouldn't choose RTR for the knights & castles. Rome and the life of Jesus are huge in RTR, as is the early Christian church, Shakespeare, and more. RTR is not equal to knights & castles.

2. When you do ECC, you can sort of "specialize" in what you learn about each country you visit. My ds got into the fairy tales; others get into the cooking. Your sons could get into the castles & similar architecture, or gallant literature, etc. There is already some of the castle history specifically mentioned in Europe, but you could use book basket to focus on the beautiful architecture (or old ruins of architecture) in every area, or read stories of gallant knights & such around the world.

3. Between reading time and book basket, plus any free time you make in your day, you could do Knights & Castles, which is basically what Crystal said.

4. If you've already done ancients a lot, chances are that you've done Rome a lot? Very few programs out there give the Old Testament a complete year and put the time of Jesus into its own year. If you have done a lot of Rome, then I wonder if doing the second half of RTR would work? That's such a random thought that a call to the office would be a must, because it would disrupt things like the Bible study, science, & Latin roots. It probably occurred to me in particular because we do half of 2 MFW programs each school year, and so we'll finish up 1850MOD in the first semester of 8th grade & then do half of ECC, but we won't finish ECC because my youngest enters high school the next year !!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

lily

Unread post by lily » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:53 pm

The comment about "don't do both if you're looking for refreshment - it won't help you accomplish your goal!" made me chuckle to myself & be grateful for somebody else pointing out the obvious, which wasn't so obvious to me!!! (And I wonder why I get burnt out sometimes! chuckle, chuckle.) Cyber-hugs to you both!!! It's so nice to find help from those who've used the curriculum!

Here are my thoughts based on what you've shared....

One of you sweet ladies asked if we'd done much of Rome...we've done Creation through ancient Greece with a small intro to ancient Rome. We've done this over & over again because I was disappointed with how I did it each time, switched curriculums, & kept trying to "get it right." Our last go with this was Story of the World, Volume 1. But we stopped towards the end where Rome is introduced. I liked the brief lessons of SOTW & how I could do multi-level with it, but was disappointed with the lack of biblical history being woven in (this was the main reason why I kept switching other curriculums too). I also wanted to spend more time studying the countries & cultures as they were mentioned. Thus, I added those myself & we didn't finish the book (but had a rich study in what we did study). I'm sure you can see all this adding up to me being drawn to MFW.

Anyway, I appreciated what you had to say. I think after reading your input I'm leaning towards doing ECC, SOTW, integrating lots of good reading books, & using the book basket to have them read stories of knights / castles, etc. from the country we're studying in ECC (WOW! What a great idea!!! Thanks for that - LOVED IT!!!). Thus I can get 2 birds with one stone & not feel like I'm going to be missing out.

What do you think of that plan? Does that sound do-able? I'm guessing ECC should take about 3 hours to complete - is that accurate? Does that 3 hours include time for the math & English you're supposed to add or should I plan on 3 hours PLUS math & English?

If you have any other ideas - or anyone else has input to lend - my ears are still open!!! Thanks again for your help - what a blessing!

Growing in His garden,
Lily

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Wow, ECC and RTR are both terrific and fun years. Why not do ECC and take a break and have a two or three week "Knight School" in the middle of ECC?

We did this (well, not Knight School -- more like Wright School). We started our homeschooling adventure in 2003 with a 4th, 2nd, preschooler, and a diapered one. Well, I didn't want the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brother's Kitty Hawk to pass without a little fanfare, so in November (the actual anniversary date was Dec. 17 but I figured that there might be a run on library books so I thought November might be a safer time), we put ECC aside for two weeks to learn all about flight. We read books on the Wright Brothers, made airplanes, flew kites, tried to make a hot air balloon, learned about lift vs. gravity and thrust vs. drag as well as yaw, pitch, and roll. We drew pictures, wrote poems, and did a "radio play" from a book called One Fine Day. Then, my mom flew out to be with us on Christmas and she flew on Dec. 17, the 100th year anniversary of that first sustained, controlled, powered flight! I can't believe that nobody on the trip (flight attendant, counter clerk, baggage guy, or pilot from the cockpit) said anything about it. My kids were really excited about it...

You could do a similar thing. Get going on ECC and when you feel that things are getting a little too routine, put the TM up for a couple of weeks and do a fun unit on just knights. Who cares if it is totally "out of order." Set the stage and then hop in and do all things knight. There are books at the library to help you.

Or if you don't want to interrupt your ECC year, then do a fun week in the summer or maybe school a week early in the fall and that week can be a fun all-things-knight week.

Echoing what the others said, don't do ECC and RTR in the same year. It is TOO much. Both programs are totally full and if you cut them both in half (which is what you'd have to do) you'll end up with a disjointed and wandering sort of year.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:45 pm

The way ECC is set up -- by continent or unit -- it makes it really easy to stop in between continents and do something else for a bit like Kelly suggested. ;)

Julie in MN

Going out of order???

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:35 am

4littlehearts wrote: I have a dd (7th grade) and ds (4th grade) who will be doing ECC this year with dd using the supplement package for 7th/8th grade. DD has not had much world history only mostly American history. She had expressed a desire to learn about the Middle ages. Would it be okay next year to skip CTG, and go to RTR for both children so dd will get her fill of the Middle ages time period? My thought was that she could pick up the Ancients in highschool (9th grade) and then ds could go back to CTG. Do you think that would be too confusing for my 4th grade son?
  • ECC- 7th grade dd and 4th grade ds
    RTR- 8th grade dd and 5th grade ds and 2nd grade dd
    MFW Ancients- 9th grade dd CTG- 6th grade ds and 3rd grade dd
Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

I think your plan could work. I tend to be a flexible person, sometimes too flexible, I suppose... But none of our educations was exactly perfect and yet here we are, lovingly raising our children and learning some more :)

I think your plan will be great for your oldest. It's the younger kids you need to think thru. I always like to think of the worst case scenario and try to work back from there. So what's the worst case? Maybe that your youngers will lose the sense of chronological history and God's hand in it all, because the time periods studied will seem random? If so, how could you prevent that from happening? Well, just being the "teacher" who is aware of the bigger picture will help lots. You'll find that as you go through RTR & CTG, you'll understand even more than your kids, and you can help them see things along the way. And then if you make sure in advance that your kids have a good grounding in Genesis 1-3, that will help them in RTR by understanding both (1) why even the "greatest Empire" was sinful and (2) why Jesus came. I think with that, they will be prepared. And ECC's study of Matthew will make a nice connection to the RTR overview of the New Testament, where it came from, learning all the books, etc.

If you do follow this plan, be sure to keep your RTR notebooks at hand when you do CTG the next year. That way, you can remind the kids how so many of the feasts and such connect to things Jesus was doing. Maybe it will be great!

Julie

cbollin

Re: Going out of order???

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:35 pm

4littlehearts wrote:After reading the responses I'm thinking that maybe like Julie said it would not be such a good thing for the youngers. Although I would really like my dd to learn about this particular time period, maybe it just isn't worth it in the big scheme of things.
You have a year to decide how it will come together. ((hugs))

If you have any concerns about oldest doing CTG in 8th and then AHL in 9th, don't worry. My oldest is doing that. The programs are different enough that it all is working out.

Maybe your oldest can just read some of the RTR books for reading time or something and get a little bit of the information that way? Just enough to hang some info on until high school years.

-crystal

MFW-Lucy

Re: Going out of order???

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Dear 4littlehearts,

You have received some good food for thought from Julie and Crystal. We would be happy to help you think through your options as well. Please call our office at 573-426-4600 for more information about making a plan for your family.

Blessings,

Lucy

Julie in MN

Another 5 year cycle question....

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:21 am

Joyhomeschool wrote:When we started ADV last year I thought I'd just do ADV and go straight through the cycle till the end.. But the more I think about it the more I dread doing Ancients (CTG) again because my DD's 1st grade year we did a good portion of STOW 1, then for 2nd grade we did MOST of SL Core 1 skipping the last 4 weeks I think. And DS who has a GREAT memory tagged along both times... So Im wondering if I should do CTG for the science and English from the Roots up (ect) that she will miss if we skip it. ADV, ECC, RTR, and then so on..

Im trying to figure out if we should skip CTG this time around (the 5 year cycle) and pick it up next time.. Or do it again and then focus on the science and English stuff and "review" the history portion. What does my husband think? He doesnt care really. :-)
Hi Vicki,
About skipping CTG, I would base that on how much Old Testament history you have covered. The main spine in CTG is the Bible. Are your children solid on how God created the world and why man fell away from him? Do they understand that ancient history is God's story? If not, I'd do CTG. Don't worry, it's got lots of fun, from reenacting the 10 plagues to celebrating the Biblical feasts.

If they do have that solid grounding, then I think it's fine to go on to RTR. No problem there.

Julie

jasntas

Re: Another 5 year cycle question....

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 am

If I understand correctly, there will be a full 2 years in between when you studied ancients and when you would study CTG. That may be enough of a break and it is a different program. Just a thought.

HTH at least a little. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Im REALLY glad I asked! The website is understandably vague at what exactly you are studying in each of the years. I did realize how MUCH bible was involved in CTG. Because SL and STOW have very LITTLE Bible involved in their ancient studies..

Now for a new question.. *IF* DD is NOT going to repeat ECC because she will then be in 9th grade is she okay NOT doing any of the advanced things? She's challenged in other areas and we are adding so many other things and requiring more I've let her do the bare minimum of ECC unless I feel she would enjoy the assignment. She's not missing out is she? I can always try to get her involved some in ECC her freshman year by having her help the younger group some. What do you think?
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Joyhomeschool wrote: *IF* DD is NOT going to repeat ECC because she will then be in 9th grade is she okay NOT doing any of the advanced things? She's challenged in other areas and we are adding so many other things and requiring more I've let her do the bare minimum of ECC unless I feel she would enjoy the assignment. She's not missing out is she? I can always try to get her involved some in ECC her freshman year by having her help the younger group some. What do you think?
glad you asked because I wanted to talk about that.

It is totally fine if you aren't doing many or any of the "advanced" ECC assignments this year. Many of the skills that are taught with those advanced assignments (such as research packet) will get covered in other ways in the other programs, or covered again as you go along. Much of the important good stuff in ECC - learning where places are, and who people are, and praying -- that's important and will be done in more than just ECC.

Her freshman year she will be very busy in her own program.

-crystal

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:03 pm

I'm in the same boat. My ds will only do ECC once and he struggles with reading/writing issues so it's going to be hard for me not to want to add in any advanced things but as Crystal pointed out these areas are covered in other ways in other programs.

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:55 am

If you think it is best for your family you can skip CtG but you might want to look at it ahead of time to be really sure.

ECC isn't a 9th grade program though and getting in geography one more time isn't worth skipping AHL or putting off high School level work. The oldest will have already gotten ECC once anyway so don't worry about trying to get a "perfect" cycle.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

jasntas

Please help with choosing curriculum

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:51 am

tanyak wrote: I have twin boys that will be 4th grade in the fall (along with a newborn baby boy). We used another program this year which I guess would be equivalent to Yr 4 exploration to 1850 in MFW. We didn't like the lack of activities. And I didn't care for the way Bible was presented. I like the way MFW looks but would we do YR 5? I really don't want to skip around in history and that seems to be a natural continuation of what we are studing but I do have some concerns. One, I read on another message board that Yr 5 was a bit heavy for a 4th grader. Two, if they continued to follow the natural progression of MFW and went back to YR One-ECC the following year (5th grade) they would end up on YR 4 in 8th grade....

What should I do? Do you have any experience with using YR 5 with a 4th grader? What about ending on a wierd year in 8th grade? Thanks so much for your help!
I would suggest you start at the beginning of the 5 year cycle and do ECC next year. My ds is in 4th this year and he will finish the entire 5 year cycle by the end of 8th grade.

I think ECC (year 1) would be a good place to start as it would be a nice introduction into MFW and is a foundational year for the rest of the cycle. Then you could reevaluate next year if you want to continue with CTG (year 2) or skip to 1850 to Mod.

There are others who have finished in different places in the cycle and it worked out fine for them but I don't think I would suggest starting with 1850 to Modern with 4th graders.

My best advice would be to contact the MFW office and see what they suggest.

HTH :)

erin.kate

Re: Please help with choosing curriculum

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:10 am

I agree with Tammie as well. Since your boys will be in fourth grade you are in a perfect spot to start the 5-year cycle with ECC and finish it with 1850Mod in eighth grade. It will provide them with a solid foundation from which to grow with MFW and the material might be more accessible for their ages. If you had started with MFW, they would have done some Amer Hist in second grade and then moved to ECC, so that transition is not unusual.

As an aside, MFW kids who are the youngers in a family will often end the history cycle somewhere in the middle because they start in second grade wherever the oldest child is and thus will repeat some of the cycle before eighth grade. For instance, my oldest will be in Adv in the fall, then ECC for third grade, and in fourth grade she'll be in CTG and that year my two middle kids will both be in second grade and they'll jump in with Gracie in CTG. This means that they'll do K, 1, CTG, RTR, Exp1850, 1850Mod, ECC, CTG, RTR. But, my youngest will end on ECC down the road, simply because of the year he starts the family cycle.

Hope that is helpful. MFW is a blessing. Enjoy!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

cbollin

Re: Please help with choosing curriculum

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:42 pm

tanyak wrote:Thank you all for your responses. My only concern is that we've already done a year of American History(up to 1850) with Sonlight and if I started with ECC we'd be missing all the 1850 to Modern Times for 4 years. My boys don't know there states or Presidents yet(as that was going to covered in Sonlight Core 4) or of course MFW Yr. 5...
So, they wouldn't learn any of their states/Presidents until 8th grade...is that o.k.?
in ECC, there are some activities with learning US state names. Then, there will be various things in language arts programs too. And Presidents? Which ones did they cover already? Do they know Washington maybe heard of Lincoln, a few others on coins and dollar bills and the name of the current one?

Then, in 2012, have them keep up with election stuff. and at major holidays (4th of July for example) grab a library book on the holiday. do some field trips in your state.

I've done 1850MOD..... I would not jump into it with 4th graders who are my oldest. You can do ECC then go to year 5. or ecc and go through... but, I'd try to steer you away from jumping in with 4th grader at year 5 if the 4th grader is oldest.

-crystal