Placement - Pros & cons for changing the order of the years

erin.kate

Re: Please help with choosing curriculum

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:52 pm

tanyak wrote:Thank you all for your responses. My only concern is that we've already done a year of American History(up to 1850) with Sonlight and if I started with ECC we'd be missing all the 1850 to Modern Times for 4 years. My boys don't know there states or Presidents yet(as that was going to covered in Sonlight Core 4) or of course MFW Yr. 5...
So, they wouldn't learn any of their states/Presidents until 8th grade...is that o.k.?
You could also jump in with your fourth graders into MOD but order the 2/3 supplement and enrich that if you feel that the MOD content is too weighty in places as is written. You'll find the supplement written into the guide, as well, and it might give you a nice middle ground to have the MOD guide/package along with the 2/3 supplement and make it your own ... meaning, when you get to a section that feels like too much for your boys, you can pull out the supplement and teach from that level and yet still continue with the activities and notebooking, etc.

If you are worried mostly about states and presidents, though, I would still encourage you to start with ECC as there a so many awesome ways to learn the states and most notable presidents while still starting fresh with year 1 of the MFW cycle. That could be a 30-min+ activity once per week ... Highlights has a neat set of the 50 states magazines geared for your boys ... there are so many ways to become passionate about the patriotism of the states and presidents, but it does not have to be the sole focus if other things trump that concern. If, however, you did start with MOD+suppl, they'd finish on EXP and will have come full circle by 8th grade. That is a lovely way to look at it too!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm

If you wanted to do a quick overview of the presidents before starting ECC maybe you could do something like a lapbook or notebook pages over the summer. Homeschoolshare dot com has a lot of free resources you may be able to utilize.

They have a specific lapbook on the presidents here:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/presidents_lapbook.php

They also have a President's Day lapbook here as well:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/president.php

They also have lapbooks and such for each state as well but that might be a bit of overload for one summer. ;) As Crystal mentioned, you do spend about 2 weeks on the U.S. which includes some state geography activities. You might also spend a little more time on U.S. geography the following summer if you'd like.

Just some ideas to help if you want to at least touch on these subjects before starting with ECC.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

If it were me I would get the Liberty Kids dvd set for a little fun Am. History over the Summer (the tar and feather show bothers some sensitive kids) and then make sure to really observe and give the history of various national holidays over the next year. You will hit the highlights that way. Then in the Fall start with ECC. You are perfectly positioned to get through the 5 year cycle, so go with it. You could also plan to spend a little extra time in ECC on the US and US geography. PM me if you want the link to a great interactive geography game site. If you spend extra time on the US you might want to condense some of the other sections (very easy to do, especially with Antartica, hehe :-) )
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:02 pm

I can see your dilemma, but I agree with the others that year 5 is a lot. I know some programs do modern history at that age, but really how much can (or should) a 4th grader absorb about world wars, cold wars, watergate, and nuclear power issues? I know it could be watered down, but what does a "fun WWI unit" look like?

But since I'm a very flexible person, I think it would be possible to get 1850MOD and just focus on the presidents and states and the activities in the SOTW activity guide (maybe after listening to the SOTW audiobook). Then you could save your manual and do it in more depth at a later time. Or, you could try to do something really condense with just the student sheets and president flashcards and state/capital CD and games. Those are definitely excellent things. They will be there later, though, if you decide to wait and make it easier on yourself, having fun in ECC this coming year (and deciding on the rest at a later time).

Best wishes as you decide,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:16 am

I'm going to agree with everyone else - 1850-Modern is going to be a lot for 4th graders who are the oldest. I *did* it last year with 8th, 4th, and 2nd graders, but the I actually had the 4th grader do the 2nd/3rd grade supplement along with his sister. I thought 1850-Modern was challenging for my 8th grader! I'd recommend going ahead with ECC - the modern history stuff you are concerned about them missing (presidents/states) can be fairly easily supplemented along the way until you get back to Years 4 and 5. I actually bought one of those "Big Books of Presidents and States" workbooks (I think from Costco?), for my guys to play with as we moved on in the cycle, just to keep it fresh in their memory. Oh, and there is a game called the Scrambled States of America - it is *fantastic* for learning the states! Liberty's Kids is awesome as well.

Hope this has been helpful!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Julie in MN

Probably coming back to MFW...Need some suggestions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:13 pm

Busymom wrote:Hi, after doing ECC 2 yrs ago, I'm fairly confident I'll be using MFW again (probably more than "fairly," but I'm still in the "what do I do, Lord?" stage). I'm also fairly confident I'll start with CTG; however, my 8th grade dd would love to study the Middle Ages (something we haven't really done). We did a stint on the Ancients and she's now doing early American history (so what she hasn't had is Middle Ages and Modern American history). I know there's been discussion on the fact that it's "ok" for her to do CTG and then AHL the following year, but I really don't mind going with what she's interested in since she's so close to just going through the whole cycle in MFW's high school program and will get it all "in order" at that time.

SO, my question is HOW to let her do that without buying CTG and RTR (to let her use independently) at the same time? (This is actually my favorite option because I'll need it the next year anyway, BUT I'll also need WHL. I think you know the drawback there..3 cycles...$$$$!)

I've also thought about putting us all in RTR (sounds so fun!), but with so many other kids coming up/going through the cycle that would totally mess things up. --Does anyone actually have a positive reason for going totally out of order/sequence?

I've also thought about just going with 1850-MOD for all of us, but I tend to not favor that idea. (For one it would be so much more expensive due to all the "required" books from EXP that I don't have. Secondly, I still have quite a few young ages; I think they'd get more out of CTG or RTR.)

Finances really are an issue this year, so what would be a cheap way to let my 8th grader do something different than the rest of us? Maybe just keep it simple, SOTW plus a bunch of books from the library (plus listening to us go through CTG in the background), and maybe a timeline and even create notebooking pages? --Or just tell her to "get over it" and put her in CTG with the rest of us? (Or maybe it's telling ME to "get over it!") :)

I hope this makes sense, and bless you if you're still with me at this point! I realize that it's ultimately up to me and what I think works best for our family, but I really would love to hear some thoughts. Thanks!
My first question would be about what your dd is interested in, as far as the Middle Ages. RTR covers a broad time period, from the time of Jesus and the New Testament, with some focus on Rome for a while, then the early church, some middle history, up through a bit on the early explorers. Is she truly interested in the whole scope, or only interested in castles and knights, or some other specific area? It might be possible to have her cover a narrow area and write a report on it or make a notebook. I know my oldest son did that in elementary public school when he had a big interest in dinosaurs :)

SOTW would be an option, if she likes that, although it doesn't have a focus on the time of Jesus and the church. The read-alouds are good for that, with the Bronze Bow (time of Jesus), Twice Freed (Paul), Door in the Wall (monestary life), and Dangerous Journey (a version of Pilgrim's Progress). Trial and Triumph adds early Christians. Oh, and Augustus Caesar's World tells the story of Octavian rising to be Caesar, if she's interested in Rome. Oh, and if she's interested in art, God and the History of Art gives an overview of the major artists that were big during the Renaissance and such (with a few added activities in the manual, such as trying to draw upside down like in the Sistine Chapel).

Just brainstorming with you...
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Busymom

Re: Probably coming back to MFW...Need some suggestions

Unread post by Busymom » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks, Julie. You were right in wondering about my daughters interest. It really is just the whole knights/castles portion. I remember when I first checked out the scope and sequence of RTR I thought that she would probably be disappointed that it would take awhile to get to the period of the knights, etc. :) I think she needs to just read some books from that time period, and that would satisfy her....Maybe even lining up her Progeny Press guides with some of those kinds of stories. This is so helpful because it eliminates that separate dilemma of what to do with my 8th grader; it "UNcomplicates" things. So now I can just focus on "do we do CTG or 1850MOD." That's a lot less stressful. Whew! Thanks for helping me get to that point.

Thanks again!
Tiffany, Mom to 9 (ages 16 mo. to 14 yrs; 5 girls and 4 boys)

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:20 am

Since your dd is interested in the knights/castles portion of the Middle Ages, I wanted to suggest you check out the Kingdom Series of books, by Chuck Black. Here is what I said about them on another thread.

Right now, my girls and I are reading the Kingdom Series, by Chuck Black, as read-aloud books (well, actually we're listening to them on audio book). They are wonderful! My girls love them, and I do, too. They are an allegory of the Bible...full of knights, sword fights, and adventure. We purchased them on audio book from the Black family at our state homeschool convention a couple of weeks ago (Black is a ND author), and the audio books are wonderful!!! They are very professional...read by 2 character actors from England, and they have sound effects, too. Chuck's daugter, Emily, composed music for the series, and the music is played on the audio books, as well. It is beautiful music! I highly recommend them! Chuck Black also has a follow-up series called the Knights of Arrethtrae, I think, but we haven't read those yet.

Just wanted to throw that idea out there for you.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Busymom

Unread post by Busymom » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:31 pm

Thanks, Jen. We actually have the books to both series. My son and daughter both enjoyed them! I might try some of the Douglas Bond books; they look good, too.
Tiffany, Mom to 9 (ages 16 mo. to 14 yrs; 5 girls and 4 boys)