* Discover-Investigate-Declare - Five year cycle questions

psalm126mama

Re: Please help with curriculum confusion!

Unread post by psalm126mama » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 am

Christina,
I just wanted to say that the ladies on this forum are very helpful and generous with their time. In fact this forum is the main reason that I switched to MFW. If I had wanted to be alone and have to figure everything out myself I would have stayed with the curriculum I was originally with. This forum is one of the things that makes using MFW so pleasant and mom-friendly, IMHO.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

mandolin

Re: Please help with curriculum confusion!

Unread post by mandolin » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:24 pm

Christina,
I agree with that! The ladies are so helpful and so encouraging as we begin our journey. I am very thankful for all I've learned on here.
I am a better homeschooler because of it!
Mandi
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

cbollin

how is k, 1st, Adv. like the first history cycle

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:00 pm

lea_lpz wrote:I think I've heard it said on this board before that k, 1st, and Adv. is similar to the structure of the fam cycle, like a mini of the 5 year family cycle in relation to geography, world history, and US history. I know it's a long way off, and do I love to over analyze and plan things out, in every which possible scenario, but, hmmm, just want to see, why you would want to treat this as a mini cycle and finish it off, because I do think Adventures looks fantastic, but if I were to skip Adventures [or do something else for a year], or if I did ECC before Adventures, how would that impact the grand scheme of k, 1st, and Adv. being its own mini cycle / intro to geography, world history, and US history. :~

Soooo many options for homeschool curriculum choices, it makes me crazy!
In the grand scheme of things, it wouldn't matter. ;)
Not every homeschooler does classical cycles. and believe it or not? It really is ok.

For oldest child..
K - focus on creation and who God is and how we relate to Him. Overall kindy level world geography as well.
1st: ancient to about 70 AD ish.
Adv: start with reminder of birth of Jesus.. jump to 1000 AD, then jump to 1600-2000 with focus on US.

so, they can do creation to modern at age appropriate overview. lower grammar stage. and it is also connected with Bible cycle:
K: who God is. our relationship to Him. and part of those badges are about opportunities to talk to others about Jesus
1st.Old and New Testament overview
ADV: and then focus in NT to relate to knowing Jesus.

that compares to the 2nd cycle:
ECC: God loves the world. go into the world
CTG: OT overview a little deeper
RTR, NT overview and church history, more than in 1st
EX1850: time to focus on character with book of James (nothing there really connects with ADV on Bible in my opinion. It's a very unique year in MFW with Bible)
1850MOD: getting to know God more personally (this connects in my mind with ADV a little more to getting to know Jesus)

3rd cycle:
OT
NT
worldview
disciplines.

If you did unit studies on early US history... in some ways, it's similar..... to studying the history focus. You get some early, and some modern with those Port. of Am. Girl studies. Did you know that in ADV, they list American Girl books as possible book basket? (heads up notes are included on some of the stuff where the kids do wrong stuff).

there are people who never do ADV... it's ok. some people take a year off and end up appreciating MFW plans all that much more. To the question you have about how it would impact history cycle... it would be similar in that it would be focus on "close to home" (US) and span the centuries into modern at age appropriate level.

-crystal

jasntas

Re: how is k, 1st, Adv. like the first history cycle

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:52 pm

I think Crystal did a great job explaining the history cycles. I'm glad she included high school as well as I was wondering about that one myself. ;)

I just wanted to comment on one of your statements. You mentioned possibly doing ECC before ADV. ADV is written for the specific age group of 2nd/3rd grade. ECC is a step up and written for 3rd to 8th. So it would be like taking a step backward to do ADV after ECC. I loved both years but wouldn't want to do them in reverse order. Just my 2 cents. HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:05 pm

lea_lpz wrote:I've heard that and have had the suggestion, if I truly can't decide, I can do it all! I could theoretically stretch out Adv. over two years, by inserting [unit studies] when AG or LHP is listed in book basket, breaking from Adv. doing core. I know that Farmer Boy and On then Banks of Plum Creek are listed as read alouds in Adv. from the website page on Adv. but wonder what others are there. Because, I soooo want to do all three of these!
agreeing with the comment..... I wouldn't do ECC before ADV with a 2nd grader who is oldest. I've done ECC with my oldest when she was in 2nd grade because ADV wasn't written yet... but.. it can wait. We did a lot of AG books that year (no unit studies with them however.. just read them)

the good thing with book basket... if there is something you see on a shelf, or want to do... put it in there even if it is not on MFW list. preview for your needs. the list they have is very big! it's not just these books.

also... there is "reading time" for comprehension skills. depending on the student... some of the books may be things they read on own and the unit study from other places will be part of comprehension/expansion topics.

LHP: check Read Aloud list like you did. I'm not recalling LHP in basket, but in read aloud. might be? I remember there was another series related to LHP novels about Rose moving to MIssouri. and maybe some mention of the "little chapter" books or picture book version? I remember the series... "my first little house" books. when they lived still in Wisconsin. not all of them are listed.. . a few. that's kinda typical for book basket lists... tries to give variety, with flexibility. My oldest loved to do series and all of that.

AG books.. well.. it's been a long time since I double checked how many new girls have books. so ...the gal in colonial williamsburg, the gal in New Mexico in 1820's, the Swedish immigrant. I don't know if current ADV manuals list some of these that show up in 1850MOD... girl in Civil War who escapes slavery, girl in great depression, girl in WW II times....

I don't guarantee that is an exhaustive list... and yes... some things will show up again in later years.....

you might find that you "get school done" with ADV, and then do some of the other units on the side for fun. light and independent Fridays.. or afternoons... even if you keep moving along with ADV, or use them for fun in other years...
I'm guessing (haven't used them ) that the PP and AG unit studies are like many unit studies -- lots to draw from. so don't get bogged down.. don't feel like you have to do everything in a unit study. save some things for rainy days.

One of the nice things with MFW is that you have that Charlotte Mason feel with the busy mornings, but less structured afternoons. You can add anything you want to MFW... just get done with school and service first. keep it fun and for their interest. don't get bogged down.

-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:32 pm

I don't have my ADV manual handy, but I know that when my dd did ADV we used a ton of AG books. She read all the way through many of the series (as Crystal mentioned, there's some TM notes on some of those) and we especially used the Cookbooks, Craftbooks and "so-and-so's World" books. They were a great addition to ADV and did not make it overwhelming at all.

And, like you mentioned, several Laura Ingalls' books are used, too. Even picture books that aren't part of "THE series."

I wouldn't stretch ADV over 2 years, even with the "add-ons" that you mentioned. Just my opinion. I'd keep on pace and keep the Bible, Science and history together as written.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

HeyChelle

Unread post by HeyChelle » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 pm

I am one who took a year off of MFW and came back with more appreciation than before. So wish I hadn't skipped MFW with my daughter that year. We did do Adventures with her, but my next two will be skipping it as they jump into the 5 year cycle with my oldest.
Chelle - Christian, wife, and mommy of 4
My family/homeschooling blog

Julie in MN

Confused About Cycles Children Will Repeat

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Erna wrote:My oldest started with K, progressed to 1st, did ADV, ECC and is now in CTG. If we go through the five year cycle she should repeat ECC before launching into high school, right?

My second daughter won't do Adventures but will launch into RTR next year. This should be the year she repeats before going into high school, right? Or does she repeat two years because she never did ADV. Or should my oldest refrain from repeating a year because she had the extra year with ADV? ADV being thrown into the mix is throwing me off of a schedule I once felt clear about. I have never felt confused about this until now.

Have I confused you by talking in circles just like I have confused myself?
It does get confusing at times.

The standard is that kids repeat whatever they do in 2nd and 3rd, in 7th and 8th. However, you are right in that kids won't repeat Adventures. I guess you could say that ADV will "sort of" be repeated by doing 1850MOD in 7th grade. However, for the rest of the kids, it becomes more clear that everything from 2nd to 3rd is repeated in 7th and 8th (with advanced assignments).

I think it's good to keep in mind when you're teaching 2nd and 3rd, because it takes the pressure off.
Julie
Erna wrote:As a side, my second DD is already "behind" because she is seven and doing 1st. My next son will start K at five next year but will be six in December, which makes it look like he is "behind" also. My "baby" will start K after he turns 5 in July a few years from now.
P.S. My oldest son was 6 years 2 months when he started K. He also took a year off after high school for Army Reserves. Therefore, he started college at age 20. He graduated in 4 years and has been a working engineer for several years now. I think your kids are the perfect ages, except I worry about the baby at barely out of the 4s :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Erna

Re: Confused About Cycles Children Will Repeat

Unread post by Erna » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:08 am

So, I am now getting it. My oldest will repeat one extra year while the younger ones will repeat two years at a deeper level before launching into 9th. My original thought was that they were each only to repeat one year of the cycle.

Julie in MN

Re: Confused About Cycles Children Will Repeat

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:29 am

Erna wrote:So, I am now getting it. My oldest will repeat one extra year while the younger ones will repeat two years at a deeper level before launching into 9th. My original thought was that they were each only to repeat one year of the cycle.
Glad that made sense :-)

Julie in MN

ECC 2nd time around with 6th grader and K

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:33 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:Next year will be my first time time repeating the cycle. I was wondering since this will be my last time through with my soon to be 6th grade son, has anyone ever used the 7th/8th grade supplement with a 6th grader? I am wondering if I should have him do the country reports and read the extra books since he won't get another chance?

Secondly, can a kindergartner do The Complete Book of Animals or is it too hard? I will have a 3rd grader, so I will be purchasing the book anyway....just wondering if I should buy two?

Thanks,
Charlene :-)
Hi Charlene,
I think if it were my 6th grader, I might find a way to incorporate a couple of country reports during the year, maybe replacing the geography packet during one country, or replacing a writing assignment. If your son just finished 1850MOD, then he probably had some good writing practice there, but the short country reports were good learning, too. As for the longer report, I'd wait until you get a short one under your belt before I decided if he was ready for a long report. He could always do that in 7th & 8th as an extra with CTG or RTR, as well.

As for the ECC biographies, again I think you could use some of those in CTG and RTR, or do some in 6th depending on your child and whether you find the opportunity to fit them in. I absolutely love the one by Brother Andrew (Narrow Road) and encourage everyone to fit that in some time! It's about smuggling Bibles into Russia, and near the end into other countries such as China. Like most missionary biographies, the author does not start out having pristine behavior, including his time in the military, but God knew his potential :)

Oh, and I haven't used the Complete Book of Animals, but typically the student won't be able to read the description and write the answers until 1st grade, but of course all children can be read to and discuss. There are some little stories and coloring pages, too.

Julie

Julie in MN

new to homeschooling deciding curriculum

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 am

diane5583 wrote:I have been hearing great things about "My Fathers World" I am looking into it, but trying to figure out how it works. I currently have one daughter who will be starting 3rd grade in the fall, she has been public schooled up till this point. I will also be foster adopting starting this winter, so I will likely be homeschooling a couple more children at some point, tho I do not know what ages they will be when they come into my home.

I am guessing that if I went with this program I would need to buy the adventures deluxe kit this year then start the 2nd - 8th grade cycle kit next year. Is this correct? Would I need to but more than these 2 deluxe kits in the next 2 years?

Also if I find myself home schooling a couple more children do I need more than 1 kit or is this pretty much all the curriculum I need to purchase till the oldest hits high school? As of right now I plan on using time4learning and then supplementing with additional material.. however I have to pay each month for each child, it would be nice to have a reusable curriculum that I pay for in lump sums and not have to add an additional monthly bill.

I am also curious.. my daughter LOVED the month she tried out time4learning, it kept her very engaged and she seems to really enjoy learning on the computer... Would my Fathers World likely keep her engaged?
Hi Diane,
Welcome! It's exciting to read your plans to foster, something I've always thought was so valuable.

Let's see if I can start the conversation on some of your questions, while at the same time bumping you up to remind others to join in.

1. Yes, two deluxe kits would take you through 2 complete years, as far as MFW kits go. You'd need to include some components of language arts (MFW recommends you add PLL and spelling for 2nd-3rd grades) and math (MFW recommends Singapore). Some of those components will be re-usable and a few are consumable.

2. If you continue with MFW beyond those 2 years, then before high school you'd continue to get a new year of curriculum each year, until you finished the history cycle and started to rotate back through -- then you could start re-using your 3rd-8th grade levels.

3. If you add in children who need to learn to read, you'd need MFW's K and 1st grade programs for their language arts and math (you wouldn't need other things for those kids). You could combine a lot of things like science experiments but their primary focus would be learning to read.

4. If you add in children who already know how to read, then those kids would just join with any other kids up to 8th grade and learn together, except for language arts and math at their own level.

5. MFW is very engaging with an active child like my son has been. There are games, experiments, cooking projects, and more. In some other curriculums I looked at, "activities" are mostly paper activities, which didn't engage my son, so I knew what a gem I found when I saw MFW.

6. There aren't any prescribed computer activities, but many of us add things like Math Drill games or even country quizzes on the computer, and there is time in the MFW day to do that. You might check the "Ideas" board for each year, and for Math Drill, to see some of the great finds out there.

Hope that's of some help! Welcome again,
Julie

peasknees

Re: new to homeschooling deciding curriculum

Unread post by peasknees » Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 pm

thanks for this post! I'm new too and my oldest is in third grade. and I'm pretty ??
I'm a TOTAL NEWBIE

"I believe there is no one deeper, lovelier, more sympathetic and more perfect than Jesus, not only is there no one else like him, there never could be anyone like him."

gratitude

When to start combining?

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:00 pm

faiths13 wrote:Im just thinking ahead for my youngest two, who will be 4 & 6 this fall. Do I need to wait til the youngest is in 2nd to combine? Thanks!
Yes, BUT my oldest 3 starting combining some in ADV at ages 8, 6, and 5. We did quite a bit of ADV together even though we also had MFW1 and at the end MFWK with it.

Julie in MN

Re: When to start combining?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:06 pm

I agree that there will be lots of family fun together. Each child needs his or her own language arts and math, and K/1st fill that role for younger kids. But you won't need to do all of the science and such in K/1st if everyone is having fun with those in the older program.
faiths13 wrote:So possibly start combining when youngest is in 1st? I'm a little confused about how it would work. I've never used MFW before.
Well, welcome along :)

Yes, you can start combining in some things basically from birth. A MFW education is not a workbook education, but it is families reading together, praying together, singing, building, and looking together. Of course, there are things adapted for little ones and things little ones won't want to do or can't do, but lots of family time, too.

If you go to the Adventures sample teacher manual here:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/5/0/1#samples
then scroll over to the grid on page 9, you can get an idea of your day and see several things that week that all the children might join in on. Then during language arts and math time, each student will work at his own level, from kindergarteners on up. Preschoolers might do MFW preschool activities during that time or just play.

There are also many ideas on the Toddler & Preschool Archive for keeping those busy ones engaged. Especially scroll down to threads beginning with "Combining..."
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=2

One other resource is the CD about occupying little ones, here:
https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/105/0/0/1

Hope that helps. If not, keep asking!
Julie

faiths13

Re: When to start combining?

Unread post by faiths13 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:02 am

Thanks! That makes sense. I will check out those links?

donutmom

2-8 Year Cycle when they repeat question

Unread post by donutmom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm

momonthemove wrote:Okay, we did ECC with my 7th and 3rd grader last year. And, the kindergartener joined in on a few things. Today, I sat and mapped out what the MFW path will look like for my 3 children.

Oldest chose to do 1850s to Modern Times next year, versus ancients. That works fine. So we are all doing that.

My youngest will get ECC, Creation to the Greeks, Rome to Reformation and Exploration to 1850s twice. Will it feel different for her? That is my concern? I know it will be more intensive as she ages, but will it be different enough?
My youngest is getting some things over, and it's been fine. When she was little, I gave her a lot of flexibility on what she sat and listened to, as some of the readings would just be over her head. She liked looking at pictures and would sometimes do that. I didn't have her writing summaries, she didn't do book basket time in that she was reading on her own well enough, there were many assignments she couldn't do because of her age. I used those times to work one-on-one with her with what she needed. Sometimes we'd read a book basket book together, if she was interested in one. Sometimes she'd want to do what the olders were doing (like color a map), than another day she didn't. And some of those things, she didn't do what the others were doing (like the rivers on a map, might just wander around randomly!). Some times I'd find another resource on her level that she had fun doing. One example was a book called Rand McNally Schoolhouse Beginner Geography & Map Activities --she did that when the older did the geography book in ECC.

They are only going to take in and understand so much when they are younger, but you are giving them "hooks in the wall". As they get older and study the same thing, they are able to remember and hang new information on those hooks and to understand and learn more. Plus, there will be all those activities and assignments that are new to them that she didn't do the first time around.

I hope that all made sense. That's a lot of words to say that I think it will be fine. ;)

--dee

Julie in MN

Re: 2-8 Year Cycle when they repeat question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:47 pm

I agree, fine. Some random thoughts:

- Kids forget more than they remember.

- The only 2 grades that kids *really* repeat are 2nd & 3rd grades. For those, EX1850 will be clearly different due to the 2nd-3rd supplement the first time through. RTR doesn't have as many separate assignments, but you can have a different focus, such as more/less time on Rome, or Castles, etc.

- In 7th-8th grades, history doesn't have to be the most important thing. It's nice to give them time to adjust to the more advanced science, math, and English. It's nice to give them a chance to do some electives before high school, such as shop or home ec or just whatever they're interested in, before they have to have a transcript.

Julie

romans8x28

ECC this year -- or wait till next year? (Did I mess up?

Unread post by romans8x28 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:18 pm

ElectricCityAcademy wrote:Hi everyone! We've been happy users of MFW curriculum for the past two years. We have two children: A 7-year-old going into 2nd grade and an almost-9-year-old going into 3rd. I did MFW 1st with my oldest, then last year I did Adventures in MFW with both.

All along I thought I'd walk seamlessly into the first year of the cycle this school year, beginning with ECC. Yet looking at the tutorial, it looks as if it's not best to start ECC until your oldest is going into 4th grade. Did I mess up our schedule? Is this a common problem with siblings only one year apart?

I don't mind using another curriculum this year -- though I would have some research to do -- and then would just pick up next year with ECC. Just need to know -- and soon -- so I can start planning! Thanks, guys!
It's normal to start ECC when your oldest child is in 3rd. Adventures is labeled as 2nd or 3rd because sometimes people are coming into MFW later and haven't gone through it yet.

I wonder if you were reading this page and got confused: http://www.mfwbooks.com/category/M50/40 It took me a couple times of reading through it to figure it out because I wasn't reading the headings right. But you want to pay attention to the first paragraph.
If You Have Children in Preschool - 3rd Grade: .....Your 2nd or 3rd grader (with no older siblings in 4th - 8th grade) will use Adventures in U.S. History for one year and begin the Multi-age Family Learning Cycle the next year.
Rhonda is teaching:
Girl - 9, Boy - 7, Girl - 2, Baby in September!

2011-2012 - K-1st Ed.
2012-2013 - First-1st Ed.
2013-2014 - Adventures-2nd Ed., K-2nd Ed.
2014-2015 - ECC-2nd Ed., ECC & First-2nd Ed.

gratitude

Re: ECC this year -- or wait till next year? (Did I mess up?

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 pm

I was in your exact shoes a year ago with my oldest going into 3rd as a just turned 9 summer Birthday and a 7 year old going into 2nd. We had just finished ADV at that time: June 2012.

I choose to wait a year. I honestly don't recommend it. Our steady progress that we made in ADV suffered in the areas of: foreign language, PLL, MFW cycle, writing, and even math suffered some. I know a lot more about other options, but I would trade in that knowledge for the steady progress we had in my oldest first and second grade years in a heart beat.

I think I would suggest taking it slow for awhile and then just see where you end up. It gives you wiggle room in the cycle, if you end up needing it, and if you don't need it the supplemental work for 8th in ECC looks interesting.

Prayers for your decision.

DS4home

Re: ECC this year -- or wait till next year? (Did I mess up?

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:36 am

I think it sounds like you are positioned perfectly to start the cycle! Go ahead with your initial plan to do ECC this year, the kids will love it :-)
Really, it's a great year full of fun projects and learning about all the people around the world. I see no reason to put it off. You didn't mess anything up, in fact you did everything right ;)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Mom2theteam

Newbie question

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Blessedbyfive wrote:I am considering switching to MFW next year for my oldest two who will be in 2nd and 1st. I wanted to do American history so am considering adventures. In the event that we love it (fingers crossed!), my oldest will have 8th grade left and my next oldest will finish the 5 year cycle in 7th. What would I do then? Repeat at a higher level? I guess I'm just confused about the cycle.

I am excited to have found MFW and really hope to find a good fit for us. Thanks!
So, if you complete the 5 year cycle before 8th grade, you just repeat what you started with but dig deeper into it. My oldest will repeat ECC. The first time around, they are young and will gain the exposure, but are unlikely to master the subject or learn the in-depth details. So, the second time around, they will already know the big picture and be able to easily master the details. The first time through, you will temper the material to their maturity level at that point. So along with retaining more, they will dig deeper and learn information geared toward a more mature age group. And, of course, they will do work on a higher level...doing advanced reports requiring more research and writing.

Hope that helps! :-)
Last edited by Mom2theteam on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

DS4home

Re: Newbie question

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Heather already gave you the answer, so I'm just agreeing! Yes, you will repeat the cycle over again and again until the youngest begins high school. You will go through years 1-5, then back to 1 again (Adventures is not part of the 5 year cycle and is not repeated). When you get the year 1 TM (Exploring Countries and Cultures), you will find some of the reading and work marked as advanced, there is even a small grid for 7-8 graders to add to the days work. You will not use those assignments the first time through with 2nd and 3rd graders. But you will use them the 2nd time through when they are 7th and 8th graders. It's nice that the curriculum is already designed to be used multiple times at different ages. You just have to gear it to the ages your kids are that year.
Hope this helps explain it a bit. If not, ask more questions! :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Blessedbyfive

Re: Newbie question

Unread post by Blessedbyfive » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Makes perfect sense, thanks!
Ds 2nd-Adv. w/Singapore, AAS, Bookshark reading
Ds 1st-Adv. w/Singapore, AAR
Ds 3
Dd 2
Dd 1

MelissaB

If you begin in K, what about 8th?

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:43 am

marmiemama wrote:I'm currently using K for my youngest and planning on bringing my other children into MFW in the fall. Question...if he continues each year with MFW, what would he use for 8th grade? He would have finished all of the programs in the Investigate section but would be too young for the high school programs. I know this is so far away, and so many things could happen between then and now, but I was just wondering. ☺ Love to make preliminary plans!
Thanks!
Blessings,
Lisa
Hi! :) We're planning to do ECC again in 8th, for 2 reasons. First, the indepth geographical study is not just places on the maps and where they are; it's a study of each continent's ecosystems which, along with a brief history of each country, provides an indepth look at how our very different cultures came to be the way they are today. (I apologize for the terrible run-on sentence... :~ ) Secondly, the first time our daughter took ECC, she studied it at a 3rd grade level. Doing it again in 8th grade will allow her to do the advanced level for older students, where she'll learn a lot more than she was able to do in 3rd.

Also, you have another option: Some parents divide Adventures into a two-year U.S. History study in 2nd & 3rd, and complete the 5-year cycle in 4th-8th grades. We chose to repeat ECC instead, but both options are very good. :)
marmiemama wrote:Thank you, Melissa. I think we'll be doing ECC this fall with my (then) 7th and 8th grader, Ancient History with my 11th grader and then my youngest will be in 1st. My oldest graduates this year...sniff, sniff!!!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4