* Discover-Investigate-Declare - Five year cycle questions

Marie

* Discover-Investigate-Declare - Five year cycle questions

Unread post by Marie » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:38 pm

Five Year Cycle - Then 2 more years before high school?!
Kelly- wrote:We've got four kids. They are 9,7,5, and 2.5 yrs old. The 7 and 9 are in ECC this year and doing well with it. With the five year rotation, we'll jump the two younger kids into whatever history we're doing when they are about second grade. That's fine. Well, after five years, we're ready for ECC again. That will be nice as the younger two will be about 10 and 7 years old, just about the ages of my older two now. BUT, what do I do with the older two? They'll be in 7th and 9th grades.
Kelly
Author: Marie Hazell
Date: 11/22/2003

Anyone in 2nd-8th grade is included in the family's five year cycle. That means if a child begins with ECC he will repeat both ECC and CTG but complete the advanced activities the second time around. (Even though ECC is only written for 2-6th grade, we suggest repeating it with older students but adding more depth--see Exploring Countries and Cultures for 7th and 8th Grade.)

If a younger child begins the cycle at a different point than ECC, then he will repeat the years from the five year cycle that he did when he was in 2nd/3rd grade, but at an advanced level.

Once a student reaches 9th grade, he will transition to high school materials.

Part of the training you do with your kids prior to high school is teach them how to work independently. When our kids reach high school age they do almost all of their work independently. For 7th and 8th grade we include them in our family cycle when appropriate.

Marie

Unread post by Marie » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:53 pm

Author: Marie Hazell
Date: 11/24/2003

Just a little more on this subject to clarify.

You do NOT have to teach two BIG curricula at the same time. That would be just asking for frustration and burn-out!!

The five year cycle really is a family cycle. A child joins the cycle as soon as he is in 2nd grade (and a reader.) Younger kids need their own program -- either MFW K or 1st. However, younger kids will also absorb a bit of the material from ECC or whatever year you are doing as a family. For example, in ECC, you can read them simple picture books about the countries, and they can listen to the music and sample the ethnic food you make. They might help make flags and some of the art projects with Mom's help, and they can pray with the family for different countries. In Creation to the Greeks, they can listen to the Bible story and participate in some of the hands-on activities.

(Our philosophy: It's usually easier to let little ones join in when possible even if they need some help -- than to try to keep them occupied on a different task so they don't interrupt older kids' lessons. Of course you wouldn't expect them to sit for the history lessons, etc., that are currently beyond their interest and attention spans.)

Lucy

Teaching chronological history to different ages?

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:33 am

LSH in MS wrote:How many years do you repeat? For instance, My child who is in 2nd grade during US\World history to civil war, do I finish the cycle with him and then repeat Ctg through RtR even though he joined in on a lot of it as a younger child? Do you adapt it based on what they don't remember?
Thanks,
Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:17 pm
After a child joins the cycle you go back to the years he missed doing in the cycle, starting with ECC. So when your 2nd grader joins in year 4 he will finish the cycle with year 5 and then return to ECC going through the cycle again through 8th grade.

Any year that is done in 2nd or 3rd grade will be repeated again in 7th or 8th grade.

It is a big circle and once you join the circle you just stay on it until 9th grade when you will "jump" off the circle to do high school level work.

Hope this helps give you a clearer picture.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

kellybell

I want all my littles to start learning it from the beginnin

Unread post by kellybell » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:03 am

5solasmom wrote:I don't understand how this works. I understand from the catalog that you can teach history to different ages at the same time. But if you are on year 3 with your 9yo, and your 4yo joins in at this point, the 4yo isn't getting the benefit of learning about history chronologically, kwim? I love this curriculum, but I am just a little confused on how this works with history.

I want all my littles to start learning it from the beginning. Can you opt to teach the history separately, and if so, is it much more time consuming to do it that way?
I've had similar thoughts and things are easier now that I just relaxed and quit worrying about when the little guys join in.

In a perfect world (well, perfect in relation to fitting with curriculum) we'd all have one child (okay, or quadruplets so that they are all the same age) or we'd space our children five years apart. And, all these kids would be bright, with no learning or behavior or health issues.

Anyway, teach the five-year cycle to the 9 year old and let the 4 yo listen in. In a few years, the 4 yo will be participating fully.

While that child is young, be sure to bring home from the library great picture books and fun videos. He won't understand all of it, but he'll get the idea that these things were long ago. Remind him that this was "before Joseph's time" or "long before Jesus" or "about when David was king." Have him help put things on the timeline, etc.

Then, when the child is ready, he can join in with you. He'll have a vague picture of what came before and a good picture of the last few centuries. Then, start the cycle over and he'll sharpen that vague picture.

I've got two children that are full-time into the history cycle and two more on the fringes. The two littlest ones listen in, watch videos, do the crafts, understand (somewhat) the timeline, and hear all the Bible stories (which we often act out). It doesn't all make sense but it will in a few years when we do the cycle with them.

No, you don't want to teach two histories at once. Too much work. Although with MFW, you can do a "big" program with a little program (K or 1st).
hth
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Colleen

Unread post by Colleen » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:27 pm

This is how I understand it from the catalog, from talking to David Hazell at a conference, and e-mailing them once about when to start kids into the program.

A younger child won't really join in with the 5 year cycle until they have done K and 1st to get the reading down well (K is mainly letters and sounds and 1st more specific phonics rules). That's why they say 2nd through 8th grade on the 5 year program.

Anyhow, he (David) said that the younger kids often get a lot of it by overhearing the older kids learn, or maybe even from the older kids.

Hope that is helpful.
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

Do they miss out?

Unread post by Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:51 pm

NewHomeSchoolMarm wrote:For those of you who have had younger siblings join the MFW rotation with the older ones after MFW 1st, my question is do they miss out? Is anything lost ?

My younger dd would be going from MFW1st right into CivilWartoPresent. I love the progression my older daughter has made throughout the MFW years-- which have all seemed to build on each other so beautifully. Though, it seems wise to me to have them together at some point, as opposed to teaching two separate MFW years.

I look forward to your input!
NHSM
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:03 am
No problem so far. My 2nd child joined in at EX1850.

In 1850-modern (as well as EX1850), there is a specific supplement of materials to use in the program for younger siblings who are in 2nd or 3rd grade. And all of that is scheduled in the teacher's manual.

How it works for us.... my 2nd grader does not have to be in the room for war related information, or big stuff in World history. We select cultural based book baskets for that world history. (the kind of things you'd do in ECC for book basket). One set of weeks we were in Russian history, so 2nd grader did a lot of book basket but didn't listen to Story of the World that day. Or with the French Revolution --- no need for my sweetie to hear all of that! She looked at pictures books of Paris and played with a cute little Madeline doll that used to belong to a dear lady on this board. (hi dear lady)

We adjust it down for science lessons in Botany for the 2nd grader. She does notebook pages according to her level. But subjects like language arts, math, etc. will always be on her level.

You adjust as you go along. Review as needed, and figure that hey, whatever they do in 2nd or 3rd grade while older sibling is in the 5 year cycle.... the younger sibling will get to repeat that program in 7th or 8th grade. It really works out. The history content will be repeated. I think of it as preview years.

--crystal

Lucy

Re: Do they miss out?

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:28 am

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:25 am
I have heard David Hazell say many times "in the ideal world" all of our kids would start from the beginning but "in the real world" that is way too much overload on the family.

There are a several things that come to mind as I read your question. Your younger child will have been in the home all the years that you have been teaching your older one and along the way will pick up or glean some information from the previous years (well at least the last 2 or 3).

When MFW wrote these last 2 years they put in the extra 2nd/3rd grade supplement because they realized that as the years progress, so does the amount of information and difficulty of the program. So part of Adventures is written into these years. You will not need the T.M. again, but save your Adventures books. Plus since your daughter gets a little bit of the Adventure year by doing the supplements in year 5, she will be doing a very similar thing that your daughter did since she will have done Adventures too and when you do year 4, even though she will be in MFW1 if she shows interest you can let her do state sheets along with your daughter in that year.

Also MFW has realized that the kids who do come into the cycle as 2nd or 3rd graders will greatly benefit from doing it again. So although your daughter will start in year 5 she will get the same progression as your daughter since she will begin ECC in 3rd grade. and she will do year 5 and year 1 again in 7th and 8th grade at a high level.

So has your daughter missed anything? Yes, but she will get it all just like your daughter but in a little bit different order. Can you imagine trying to do more than one MFW family cycle year (years 1-5) in one year? I can barely get one year done myself! Ideally yes, but in the real world we have to have a life outside of school.

I hope this helps to give you the big picture. I will be doing ECC and CTG with my son again beginning next year. My daughter will move onto high school. I am actually excited about doing these years again with him knowing he was so young the first time we did them.

Lucy

tkbbrl6

What do you do for 8th grade?

Unread post by tkbbrl6 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 am

dslicom wrote:I am a little confused, if I start my 3rd grader in ECC and follow the 5 year history cycle, what do you do for 8th grade? The high school program starts in 9th grade. Am I missing something?
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:21 pm
I'm doing ECC with an 8 yo and 10 yo this year - and there are a number of projects that dd can/is doing at 10 that younger bro at 8 isn't. So when he gets to ECC again in a few years he'll be able to do some of those projects or something different and get a different depth from the program than he is at 8 - not that he's not learning a great deal now.
Wife to dh for 13 years
Mom to ds (19) Sophmore at USC; dd(11) Level 7 USAG gymnast; ds(9) Green belt in Karate; ds (4)Still waiting for a pet buffalo or lion
Using RTR

cbollin

Five Year Cycle - Then back to easier levels? How to adjust?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:55 pm

momrandles wrote:My youngest would be going through the cycle almost twice. If it gets "harder and harder," when he goes to repeat the cycle will he be going from "hard" back to "easy" ?
Q (but rephrased a bit): if each year is harder, how does this affect a younger sibling who isn't ready for that level of work? and what about when they are older, will it be too easy at that stage of learning?

A: Even though the programs use books with more difficulty level each year, your younger children do not have to do everything that is listed for their older siblings in the history and Bible sections of that year. That way they are doing more age appropriate learning in the early years of their schooling and grow with the program and grow through their stages of learning. It is part of the "one room school house" idea of teaching. You leave some things out for younger kids and then pick it back up in some subjects.

As they reach 7th or 8th grades – the materials in language arts, math and science will change to reflect their new ages and stages. And the things you didn’t do with them in history and Bible when they were younger, you will do with them at that time and add in more writing and reading -- just like their older siblings did the first time round.

-crystal

Debbie M.

Unread post by Debbie M. » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:22 am

I just finished listening to a Workshop CD by David Hazell about studying history chronologically (thank you Crystal for the message http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=3234 about where to order their CDs).

He went into some information as to how their curriculum is set up which I thought might help to see the big picture. He explained that their curriculum starts with the 1st years being the concrete foundation (Bible, USA), followed by the geographical foundation in ECC, and continuing into the History Cycle that includes pagan religions/myths at a more appropriate age and after the concrete Bible phase.

He discussed how the hands-on simple projects help tremendously with retention and how the"Book Basket" encourages learning to love to read. This helps the child become an independent learner when reaching high school. He also discussed how textbooks are used as timeline guidelines, provide Christian perspective, and cover time periods where "Living books" are not available. These "living books" are included in the Read Alouds or in Book Basket (books from the library listed in the Teacher's Manual) to provide greater depth, which is a time when the child has 10-15 minutes to read whichever book looks interesting.

After trying several ways of teaching, MFW has been perfect for us and I no longer search for new programs. The teacher's manuals are extremely organized keeping your family on track even with all of life's distractions. The notes for the teacher are concise and insightful. I am amazed how the art/music fits in without spending a lot of time. I notice that my children are more aware of the real world when I hear their comments about something we just covered when we are out doing something else.

I thought I'd write this while it was still fresh in my mind. I'm looking forward to listening to the other CDs about MFW that I ordered.

Debbie M.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:03 pm

I highly recommend getting your hands on a couple of the workshop CDs, as well. I just listened to the first one I ordered, "Interpreting Classical Models in the 21st Century", and David goes into so much more depth beyond just "what is classical?" He really gets into the WHY of MFW. (I think this is different than the one you mentioned, Debbie? That one sounds good, too!)

Now I'm trying to get through "Multi-Level Teaching in the Elementary Years", with many interruptions. LOL. But one thing in particular that he said about a 2nd grader vs. say, a 6th grader, is that you would expect 4th-8th graders to do *everything* in the TM. A 2nd or 3rd grader might just do a coloring sheet while listening to you read, or a very simple activity. That gave me some relief, because I'd been feeling frustrated about my 2nd grader not being able to do a lot and was starting to second guess the idea of multi-level teaching. Turns out we've been doing it right after all. ;o)

I'm glad I got the CDs, and I plan to order more. They've been very helpful.

Also keep in mind that by the time your oldest child gets to high school, he/she will be working mostly independently at an advanced level. High school is intended to prepare them for college and service work, and they use different resources for high school than they do in the elementary levels.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

TurnOurHearts

Wait so they both start history together?

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:16 pm

TammyB wrote:It seems like if I would wait a year and do ECC with a 4th and 2nd grader, then they would both get the benefit of being really prepared to study chronological history.

If I do ECC this year, won't my first grader be just a bit handicapped, for lack of a better word, during our future history studies? Yes, I know she would still get a lot out of each year, but wouldn't she get even more if I waited one more year?
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 am
Hi Tammy :)
Halle has been doing her first grade work along with all the ECC stuff and I think she will take plenty with her into next year & beyond. She plays the geography game & everything with us, looks at the maps when we're identifying a new country, and so on. While she's not taken in as much as Max, she's learned quite a bit ~ way more than I expected. As long as they're included, I think the younger children will progress very well. Just my two cents. :)

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:16 pm

Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:56 pm

I say go ahead and do it. In this case you do what it best for your oldest. Your first grader will get it again. I did ECC with 2nd and 1st graders as adventures wasn't written yet. THey still remember a lot about it. There are fabulous picture books the first grader will enjoy. It's a great year for the younger ones. We would just sit on the couch and read a lot. Don't worry about it hindering their study of history. It didn't happen here.

cbollin

Why is it called a five year cycle?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:00 am

OnlyByGrace wrote:Hi, can somebody clear this up for me? Why is it called a five year cycle when you repeat, at most, two years (assuming you start ECC in 2nd grade?)
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:16 am
It is called a cycle because you continue to use those programs to teach your children in grades 2-8 without having to get too hung up on having each child in a different history year.

Think of it as a ferris wheel that goes around during 2nd-8th grades :) when the kids hit 9th grade, they are ready for a new ride, even if their younger siblings are still on the ferris wheel :) (can you tell it's fair season in Indiana???)

dhudson

If my oldest starts ECC for 3rd, what does she do for "8

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:19 pm

melissamomof3girls wrote:My oldest is doing Adventures for 2nd this year, my next doing 1st. Next year I planned for my oldest to do 3rd as ECC with her 2nd grade sister tagging along with it.

But, following this schedule, she'll finish the 5 year cycle in 7th grade...so what would she do for grade 8? Do year 1 again? And then, when my next daughter gets through with year 5 of the cycle, she'll only technically be ready for grade 7. What does she do then? Start the cycle over for two years?
That's how it has worked with my oldest. It has worked well. He has really enjoyed the books in the 7th/8th grade supplement and the bi-monthly country summaries have really helped him to summarize information and put them in a readable format.

I like that he has a good foundation on geography before moving into high school as well.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

dhudson

How to combine 9th,7th and 4th??

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:09 pm

Heart4Home wrote: I've been away from MFW this year but returning next year. Tried the 3 different levels thing and its driving me crazy! Is there some way to incorporate these 3 ages? I plan on combining the 3 next year for 1850 to Modern with the younger adaptations, but the following year will have the above mentioned grade levels. (2012-2013)

So looking forward to returning to MFW. Any advice from you MFW pros??
9th grader should do High School program and should not be combined. The 7th grader and 3rd grader can be combined using ECC with the 7th/8th grade supplement. Does that help?
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Julie in MN

Re: How to combine 9th,7th and 4th??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:45 am

Agreeing with Dawn. Next year, it sounds like you can combine all 3. Then the following year, the eldest will head into high school. It won't be like teaching 2 programs, though, since the high schooler has her own grid with little check-off boxes to go through her subjects on her own as much as necessary, and you can meet with her on Fridays, which are a lighter day with the other kids.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

tiffany

Re: How to combine 9th,7th and 4th??

Unread post by tiffany » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:25 am

I have 3 levels at my home this year, one in high school, 3 in 1850-mod., and 1 in MFW 1st.

If your child is in high school, they will need a high school program. We are in our second year of MFW high school and it is extremely light on the workload for the parent. I follow the recommendation in the manual to start the high schooler a week early, so I can devote myself to helping her learn the ropes and get on track for the year. Then it is pretty much up to her. The only times parenting involvement is required is at the beginning of the composition assignments, for grading, for weekly parent meetings to check on work done, and a portion of the bible study during the year.

For composition, often the parent is called upon to go over the skills required to complete the type of writing assignment assigned for the week. 20-30% of the time, the assignment does not follow a strict form, so the student can go ahead and just get started on those himself. So far, each year, MFW picks one of the bible resources and asks one of the parents to study along on their own and meet with the child once a week to over the material. They suggest that Dads do this. My husband does do this with my daughter. This year the selected study is 9 weeks long. Last year, it covered more of the school year. Just to clarify, they are studying bible every day from various resources, and the parents are asked to participate in just one of those resources.

You will not be teaching anyone to read next year, so that will be helpful. For your kids studying together in one of the history units, that is where you will spend the bulk of your teaching time. We try to get our bible and history done 1st. thing, then the kids do independent work, while I take turns helping them with studies that require my input.

So, in a nutshell, you will only be using 2 programs, one of which very little teaching is required. For high school credit your 9th grader needs to do a high school program. MFW has the credits all kind of lined up for you, which makes it very easy to know what needs to be completed for high school. They even offer choices of electives, so you don't have to pick those out, if you don't want to. I think you will find the high school to be the easiest homeschool thing you've ever done. You'll be amazed what they're capable of.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

HSmommi2mine

New to Unit Studies, love the idea, but have a question

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:00 pm

bunkie2106 wrote:I am new to the MFW forums, but have been reading past posts like crazy. I grew up home schooled (K-12) with my siblings but we didn't have any "fun" curriculum.

I have a daughter (5 years), son (3.5) and baby (6 months) and am really excited about the possibility of doing MFW! I spent last Saturday at the home school conference and most of the time at the MFW booth asking questions and looking through the Kindergarten material. When I got home I realized that I think I had some more questions, just about the flow of using unit studies, so I thought I would join the forums and ask :-)

So my oldest (my daughter) would do Kindergarten, 1st grade, then Adventures in MFW for second grade and then 3rd grade start ECC. She would start the 5 year cycle in 3rd grade so would do ECC 2 times (3rd grade and 8th grade). My second will be in Kindergarten when my daughter is doing Adventures in MFW and he will be in 1st grade when she is starting ECC, and then for his second grade year he will join her in unit CTG? Since he would start in 2nd grade he would repeat 2 units twice in 7th and 8th grade.

Hopefully that all makes sense. When I came home I had so much in my head that I realized I was still confused, LOL. I thought that each child only did the family units once, but it looks like sometimes they repeat the units before reaching 9th grade
You got it right. Whatever your kids study in second and third grade, they will go over again in seventh and eighth. This second round is at a higher level with the upper level assignments that you skipped the first time through when they were so young. The older kids get to read longer, more in-depth books and write reports. They also switch to using Apologia texts for science, so it's not as if they do the exact same things five years apart.

Think of history and science as the frame work you are using to teach skills. In the younger grades you want them to get a basic feel for the rhythms of history and gain a love for the subject (MFW projects are the best! They are interesting and doable, which is not true of every company). At the same time you use the content to give your budding little writer something to narrate about. At this age your main focus is on basic skills, the three R's if you will. Later in Jr. High you might cover the same subject in history but the logic stage student is making connections between events and is able to , say, trace the influences of the Roman Empire, read some longer books about Rome and then write a paper about the reasons Rome fell. Same topic, different expectations.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

Buttercup78

Re: New to Unit Studies, love the idea, but have a question

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:02 pm

You've got it right, but you can also do some combining once your younger is in 1st. You can do the math and language from 1st and they can sit in on ECC for some things. There are lots of great ideas on here!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (24) 2012 Graduate
J (12)

S (10)
E (8)
J (5)

S (2)
E (born 11/14)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

bunkie2106

Re: New to Unit Studies, love the idea, but have a question

Unread post by bunkie2106 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Thanks. I thought I had it but wanted to make sure. :)

TriciaMR

Please help with curriculum confusion!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:05 pm

sahmom4cj wrote:I used Adventures this years for my 2nd Grader. Next year I will have a Kindergartner and a 3rd Grader. I really like MFW but can't understand how the cycle works. Yes, I have read it, I have also called the company and they explained how I would reintroduce the subject later etc BUT I don't understand. If anyone is willing to take a few minutes to help a mom out I would GREATLY appreciate it. I don't want my youngest child learning things that are way above his head. It seems to me that that is how this system works.

Thanks for ANY and all help in advance,
Christina
Christina,
So, break down year by year:

2012/2013: K & ECC - K kid can do crafts and activities, play Geography Game (even my twin preschoolers played when we did it), Bible time, and enjoy many books from the book basket.

2013/2014: 1st & CTG - 1st grader does the first grade program and sits in on anything you feel comfortable with sitting on. If you're not comfortable with him/her sitting in on Greek mythology, then he can do other things. My boys were K, and enjoyed this. It didn't seem to me to go too in depth on the Greek beliefs that much. They seemed to think of them as fairy tales.

2014/2015: RTR - 2nd grader joins in. Probably doesn't need to listen to Augustus Caesar's World. Lots of Roman gods stuff in there, and my oldest didn't like it. You can probably read and summarize it.

2015/2016: EXP1850 - 3rd grader does the "2nd & 3rd Grade Supplement," and can probably handle most of the regularly scheduled stuff (my 2nd graders have listened to it all this year). This is where the 3rd grader gets to do the fun activities and read alouds from Adventures.

2016/2017: 1850MOD - 4th grader could add in the 2nd & 3rd Grade Supplement, or just do the program with older sibling. 7th grader can start General Science.

2017/2018: Repeat ECC: 5th grader does advanced assignment that he didn't do in K; 8th grader does ECC, plus Physical Science.

2018/2019: 6th grader does CTG, perhaps doing some advanced assignments; 9th grader doing AHL

2019/2020: 7th grader does RTR with General Science; 10th grader doing WHL

2020/2021: 8th grader does EXP1850 (or maybe you jump to 1850MOD, depending on where you think he needs most coverage); 11th grader doing MFW's 11th grade year.

2021/2022: 9th grader does AHL; 12th grader doing MFW 12th grade year

2022/2023; 10th grader does WHL

2023/2024: 11th grader does 11th grade year

2024/2025: 12 grader does 12th grade year

Does that help? Your youngest rolls into wherever the oldest is when he/she is in second grade. There is something about being a younger child that seems to set them up to be able to handle some more difficult subjects younger than the oldest child does. My oldest is very sensitive. We started with MFW in ECC when she was in 3rd. RTR was the hardest year for her with all the Roman gods, but it didn't really phase my younger two - and they sat in on many of the readings for that. Augustus Caesar's World was the only resource that I should have pre-read and just summarized for my oldest. It really does work for the younger ones. The older kids can sometimes summarize or reword things that make it more gentle to the younger crowd.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gorillamama

Re: Please help with curriculum confusion!

Unread post by gorillamama » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:25 pm

Hello Christina,

I can try to help you a little, although I'm not the most qualified person to do so...But I think MFW is a great choice and would love for you to give it a try so here goes...

Next year, your 3rd grader would do Exploring Countries and Cultures (ECC). Your kindergartner would theoretically do the Kindy program and could easily tag along for some fun stuff with the 3rd grader. Your youngest wouldn't fully join in with your oldest until they would be in 2nd and 5th grades respectively. So...
K/3rd: K and ECC,
1st/4th: 1st/Creation to the Greeks (CTG),
then 2nd/5th: both studying Rome to the Reformation(RTR),
3rd/6th: both in Exploration to 1850,
4th/7th: both in 1850 to Modern Times
5th/8th: both back to ECC
6th/9th: back to CTG for youngest and oldest would move onto high school path...

Now as far as the part about your youngest learning things above his head - The 2 would be on a separate language arts and math path. At the K age, he could easily sit in on some of the science experiments your 3rd-grader will do in ECC, as well as some of the geography activities (flag coloring pages, geography game with your help, etc.), and he could easily participate in the music and art projects. Someone else will have to pick up there, as we have only done ECC so far. Now, we have a baby, a preschooler, a 1st grader and a 3rd and 5th grader. The 2 oldest are doing ECC, the 1st grader and preschooler join up with the bigger kids for some things, and all are separate for math/ language arts. The younger kids do not have to do all that the older ones do so there is no fear that they are being taught above level. The older kids have more things to do and when ECC shows up again at our house in 5 years (Lord willing) the older ones will do even more work (age appropriate).
There would be no Adventures for your Kindy babe unless you would choose to do that in 2nd grade for him (instead of him joining older sibling in RTR ) which as other recent posts have shown is a neat possibility.

Are there any specific questions that you have regarding the program? This is sort of a meandering response and I feel I could better help you with more direct inquiries. Please feel free to follow up with more questions. I was a little confused at first too and received a lot of help and support on this forum! (Still do in fact ;) )

Sincerely,
Crystal (gorillamama)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:32 am

Christina,
welcome along!

I like to try to help with an analogy.

If you are at the supper table at Thanksgiving, everyone has the same food and the same family and all of that. You help your children get right size portion for that meal. They are going to tune out on certain stories that Uncle so and so will tell. They will tune in for some of it. and next year at Thanksgiving... it's all repeated. As the family gets bigger, you might find all of a sudden there is a "kid's table" to sit at. And then they get older and finally rejoin the grown ups. And now all of a sudden they understand those stories that Uncle so and so is telling. and more than that? They get to help carve the turkey, or make the pies as they get more independent and becoming the adults.

It's like that with teaching with MFW. Your children fold in and out as they grow. You get to teach lessons from one manual during certain years. Then, when needed, they might go to the kid's table during some lessons. that's how it can work in multilevel teaching. Sometimes you work one on one with your children while the others are working on book basket, or math workbook, or art, or just playing for a while, or making their bed.

MFW has "skill based" work that is always at level. math, language arts.
MFW has "content work" (such as elementary science or social studies) can be done as a group, or even as I did, a little one on one for 10 minutes. Then, you retell the right amount to the next child with picture books, and so on.

-another crystal

sahmom4cj

Unread post by sahmom4cj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:42 pm

OH MY! I have to give you ladies a HUGE THANK YOU!!!!!!! I really appreciate it. I know it took you some time to sit and post all that but it was the most infortmation I have every gotten with this curriculum. I really like MFW and now that I understand it I'm more willing to stick with it. Thank you, thank you, thank you ladies so much!

Christina :-)