* Discover-Investigate-Declare - Five year cycle questions

MelissaB

Not seeing how the cycle works as you add kids in?

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:24 pm

starryiz929 wrote:I like how our next years will look....next year I'll have one child in 1st and one in 4th doing ECC...the 1st grader can listen in as she pleases with ECC so I'm sure she'll glean some good information and be ready to jump in for 2nd grade with the next level.

But then I have a 3rd child who will not fall into the history cycle until we hit 1850's-Modern Times. So how will she be able to grasp it without the prior years? I can't wrap my head around how that would work.

And I do worry that by the time I do ECC for the 3r time I might be sick of it.
Hi. I think MFW recommends that Kindergarten and 1st graders do K & 1st grade curriculum, and start into the cycle in 2nd grade with older siblings.

For those who start in 2nd, they'll repeat ECC in 7th, and Creation to Greeks in 8th. In 2nd, they'll mostly listen in, do a few student sheets, "stamp" their passport, play the geography game, etc. But by 7th grade, they'll be ready to do more intensive map work in the geography workbook, complete more students sheets, write a literature paper, etc.
CtG will work the same way: more advanced assignments for 7th and 8th graders than in 2nd-6th.

Will they be bored? I don't think so. It's amazing how much they forget in five years. In fact, I think they may enjoy it more. Our girls look forward to repeating ECC in two years because they enjoyed it so much.

Other Moms who have repeated the cycle can give you better information. In the meantime, hth. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

TriciaMR

Re: Not seeing how the cycle works as you add kids in?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:18 pm

When you hit 1850MOD, there is the 2nd/3rd grade supplement that you use with your 2nd/3rd graders. They will pick up some along the way. And remember, whatever they covered in 2nd/3rd they repeat in 7th/8th at the higher level.

We are repeating ECC this year, doing the 7th/8th grade supplement. My dd has *loved* the books for her, plus she now does a country summary report for each country, and we will be doing the country report (which I did NOT require for her back in 3rd grade). I will probably have my boys do a shorter country report this time since they are 4th graders and will not repeat ECC before high school.

I just adjust things to their abilities and interests. It works beautifully.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:11 pm

This is how our years worked out for my 4th kid. He starts second grade in Mod. The 2/3 supplement is much like Adventures and it works out perfectly for him. No one will be bored because when my second oldest starts ECC in 7th grade it will have been 5 years since he did that year and I'm sure he doesn't remember much.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:38 pm

Your plan looks good to me.
starryiz929 wrote:But then I have a 3rd child who will not fall into the history cycle until we hit 1850's-Modern Times. So how will she be able to grasp it without the prior years? I can't wrap my head around how that would work.

And I do worry that by the time I do ECC for the 3r time I might be sick of it.
I just wanted to repeat a couple of things the others have said already.

(1 ) Repeating a year had a very different flavor for us, so I didn't really feel sick of it. Even in high school, there has been repetition of various topics, but of course different depths. Even if it were the same depth, we find different things catch our interest. There is just so much to learn that a lifetime could be spent on it.

(2 ) Grasping from prior years is partly affected, as the others mentioned, by repeating whatever is learned in 2nd - 3rd grades. But also, there is a certain amount of "family learning" that happens in homeschool, so both the parent and the siblings are now those "experienced" teachers as you discuss what you are learning.

David Hazell used to have an audio talk (or maybe it's still on one of the ones MFW sells), where he said that in an ideal world, each child would have a perfectly ordered sequence. However, in our real world, we need to make choices and learning as a family is one of those choices that becomes better for everyone.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Has anyone NOT done the family cycle?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 am

mshanson3121 wrote:Has anyone ever NOT done the family cycle, and just kept their children separate? So ex....

Doing Adventures with my youngest while we do RtR with my oldest?
I think that would be just way too much work! Stuff in adventures is covered in Explorers to 1850 and 1850 to Modern Times.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TrustingHim

Re: Has anyone NOT done the family cycle?

Unread post by TrustingHim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:27 am

We did the 2nd and 3rd grade add ons with 1850-Mod. When my oldest was doing MFW, the youngest would still sit and read some of the books with us, or I'd have my oldest read on her own so I could read to my youngest.

I thought because my oldest didn't fit in, I should scrap it for my youngest too. It was a huge mistake. The last two years did not go well. Next year, everyone will be back in MFW, one in Ex-1850 and one in High School. In hindsight, I wish I had just kept cycling through.

Oh well, live and learn!
So, to sum up:
1. I wouldn't buy 2 separate years of MFW until you get to high school. If you have a child that doesn't "fit" with the rest of the group, there are ways to fix that, and it will be better to fold them into MFW than to veer off the path. You can always ask here. I did and wish I had followed the advice of others *ahem Julie* ;)
2. Follow the family cycle. I wish I had. Seriously, the last two years have been so frustrating. If I had another child, I would fold them in and do the cycle.

HTH!
Dorinda
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24

TriciaMR

Re: Has anyone NOT done the family cycle?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:32 am

The "rule" is 2nd graders are suppose to join in wherever the oldest one is in the cycle. But, do what you like. Some people might feel their oldest is capable of doing most of it on their own. I, however, prefer to discuss the history and science with my kids and not leave it for them to do on their own.

You adjust your expectations for the younger one(s) as compared to the oldest when you combine. So, you might have your 5th grader write 4 sentences of summary, where your 2nd grader would only write 1 or 2. I have found it works well, and I have a 4 year age gap between oldest and my twins.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Poohbee

Where should I start on the wheel??

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Raquel C wrote:I have a child starting fourth grade..we did not do mfw last year so my question is should I start her at the beginning countries and cultures ? Even though she is fourth grade? Or move onto creation to the Greeks?

We took last year off from mfw and missed it so much.. Last year(3rd) was the only year we have not done mfw.
Thanks
I would do ECC and then continue the 5-year cycle from there. We took a year off of MFW when my eldest dd was in 3rd grade, too, to do a unit study using the American Girl books, because my dd was really into those at that time. We picked up with MFW again her 4th grade year and did ECC. If you do ECC when your child is in 4th grade, she will still be able to finish the 5-year cycle before high school. It is generally recommended to start the cycle with ECC so that the kids are grounded in geography and different cultures and people groups around the world before beginning the 4-year chronological history study. So, it would work perfectly for you to do ECC with your dd during the coming school year and then continue the cycle from there.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

weareborgswife

Re: Where should I start on the wheel??

Unread post by weareborgswife » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:42 pm

We started when my son was in 4th grade with ECC. I was using another curriculum that allowed me to teach both my older two together, and I waited to switch until they were in 2nd and 4th and could work together. I tried one year of 3 kids in three different levels and it was overwhelming for me. This timeline works out perfect for me, as my older two will be together for the next 3 years (counting this fall), and my youngest will join in for my son's final year... and then I will still have two working together for a little longer, while he moves on to high school.

weareborgswife

after cycle then what?

Unread post by weareborgswife » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:45 pm

1974girl wrote:I am just about to order my last year in MFW (1850-modern) We will have finished all years. This will work perfectly since my oldest will finish and go right into highschool.

However, I have another child who will need 2 more years of it. She did Adventures with us when she was in 1st. What will I do after this year? She repeated what was in Adventures this past year in Exploration-1850 at a deeper level. What would I do? ECC again? It was my favorite year of all, but I can't imagine doing the exact same thing again. Thanks
LeAnn
I think it was set up to do again- that is what I will be doing with my middle DD- my oldest will move into highschool when we finish 1850-MW- my daughter will be in 7th grade, and my youngest will be in the cycle by then, so my daughter will do ECC with the 7th grade extras, and Creation to the Greeks with the 8th grade additions, and then move into high school.

Raquel C

Re: Where should I start on the wheel??

Unread post by Raquel C » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:18 am

Thank you thank you thank you !! Soo much!! Will be ordering today!!

DS4home

Re: after cycle then what?

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am

Yes, this is where the whole concept of the circle comes into play. It works well with a large family, in that the family just keeps working through the cycle going around and around the wheel as many times as needed until the last child is entering high school. Everyone repeats the material from their 2nd and 3rd grade, whatever years those happened to be when they joined the family cycle. They will have forgotten much, or just never learned some of the details. They might remember the fun stuff, art projects, passports from ECC, etc. But the second time through they will really dig into the info on a deeper level. They will do a lot more writing than they did in the lower elementary years. They will also be moving into Apologia Science for 7th and 8th grade, and math at their level, so it will have a much different feel to the year as a whole than when they did it before.

Does that make sense? In junior high we are beginning to push them a bit more to prepare them for high school.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:09 pm

Agreeing with Dawn… We're doing 1850-Mod. this year, too. We'll do ECC with our oldest next year (8th grade) and continue the cycle with our now 4th grader. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

1974girl

Unread post by 1974girl » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:59 pm

Thanks guys. ECC was my favorite year anyway! I wouldn't mind doing it again. With only 2 kids, I don't have anymore to join the cycle so I wasn't sure. But she was only in 2nd grade when we did it last time. I don't remember anything about 2nd grade. Well, I remember a few things: I won a coloring contest and got my picture taken for the newspaper. I got in trouble for calling the teacher a blockhead and had no idea it was bad because Charlie Brown said it. Basically, that's all I remember of 2nd grade. :-)
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Yodergoat

Newbie questions...

Unread post by Yodergoat » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:17 pm

mombyHisgrace wrote:Hi all, I am completely brand new. I have been doing [another program] for several yrs and while I do love many aspects I am not sure I can afford them at this time. It is really expensive and MFW seems a whole lot more budget friendly. I have never used MFW. I have a 9 1/2 yr old 4th grader and a 12 yr old 6th grader. Where would I begin or where would I start on the history cycle? And anyone else make the switch to MFW? Thanks so much in advance! :-)
Hello and welcome to the board!

I have heard that MFW strongly suggests beginning with Exploring Countries and Cultures, as it is helpful to have a knowledge of world geography and the needs of various people groups before learning about the history of those countries and people groups. Some people say that it shows the "heart" of MFW and its global focus. Of course this may depend somewhat on what you have already studied... I am not familiar enough with the program to know what has already been covered at the point your children are at. I can say that if you have not yet had a strong focus on world geography, Exploring Countries and Cultures would be a great place to begin! I am currently doing ECC with a third grade girl, and it is very rich and full to cover a variety of ages and skill levels. We are only a few weeks in and so have not gotten into the study of the different people groups, but looking ahead I see some great things which will really have us praying for many people in the world while we learn where they are in the world!

One thing I can say about MFW is that you do get a very good value for the money. All of the resources which came in the ECC package are wonderful and will give a great year of study with some library supplementation for each country studied (or online study if there is no library available). If you do not yet know, MFW has a wonderful book list for each year, full of quality recommendations which have been thoroughly approved by MFW for content (and which has warnings if there is even the slightest concern in any given book).

I hope this helps while you wait for others to answer! Again, welcome!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

mombyHisgrace

Re: Newbie questions...

Unread post by mombyHisgrace » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:18 am

Thank u so much for such a thorough response. Very helpful! :). So ECC it is. I was looking at 1850 to modern time and it looks like a lot of fun for my son. Unfortunately, he probably won't get to do that book. In fact with starting this late, he won't get to complete the 5 yr cycle at all, right? He will be 8th grade in 2 yrs. Then he jumps into the HS curriculum?

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:42 am

Welcome!

I just wanted to encourage you that starting with ECC is an nice choice. I started the cycle last year with ECC with my then 6th grader and 3rd grader. ECC was nice for both of my children. We are excited to start CtG this year. My kids love ancient history so this will be so much fun. I agree that ECC lays a wonderful foundation for them to understand the world better. They like that when they hear a news story or a reference to a country in a book that they know where the country is in the world and some idea of what the country is about. It is good to know that there is more to the world than the little bubble we live in. :) The missions focus is wonderful! My dc want to do mission work now. They already had hearts to serve but now they see there is a need outside of our county. One wants to be a missionary in Africa. :-)

My oldest will not complete the cycle. I am not overly concerned about it although it did bother me at first. ;) My plan for her is to have her listen to SOTW audio 3 and 4 in the summers before high school so she can get a brief overview. I may get some books from the library also. Our library has the audios and some of the books that come in the package for the last two years of the cycle. I actually gave her a choice of doing CtG and RtR or the last two cycle years and she chose the first option. She loves ancient history and has had enough exposure to modern history that she and I felt it was enough until she hits in again in high school.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:54 am

hsm wrote:I actually gave her a choice of doing CtG and RtR or the last two cycle years and she chose the first option. She loves ancient history and has had enough exposure to modern history that she and I felt it was enough until she hits in again in high school.
Yes, after ECC, your family can jump into the history cycle wherever you are, so if you've done a lot of ancients, then you can jump into a later year. Of course, MFW does ancients in a wonderful way, with the Bible as the foundation of history, and it's a nice place to start, too :)

The good thing is that you don't need to decide on the next year until you get going with your first year using MFW. Enjoy!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mombyHisgrace

Unread post by mombyHisgrace » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:08 am

Wow, thank u so very much for such thorough and helpful and extremely encouraging replies!!! :-)

Poohbee

Question re: adventures 2nd grade math

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:58 pm

hsmom5 wrote:This year I will have my younger child starting kindergarten (Gods creation A-Z) & my oldest will continue on to Adventures 2nd grade.. I'm aware that I can join my kinder with my 2nd grader in all the subjects except L.A & math.. But how does that work when my kinder is then in 2nd grade & he's participated in these 2nd grade subjects already?

Thanks
- M
For those younger ones who join in the Family Cycle, they are learning at the level they are at, but then they will go through some of the years when they are older, and they will learn more at a whole new level. And, they may not remember much from when they went through the cycle the first time, since they were so young. For example, a 2nd grader who joins you for Creation to the Greeks will be in 7th grade when you go through the cycle again, and he/she will learn more and differently at a higher level.

Also, you referred to 2nd grade subjects, which, with many curricula, would be the same for each student as they reach that grade level. It's a bit different with the Family Learning Cycle because you are cycling through different years with different kids. For example, when my oldest was in 4th grade, we were doing ECC, so her 4th grade year was learning about the countries and cultures of the world. When my middle was in 4th grade, this past year, we were doing 1850-MOD, so her 4th grade year was learning about world and American history from 1850 to modern times. Because of the Family Learning Cycle, my kids do not study the same things when they reach a certain grade level that their older siblings studied at that same grade level. It's really kind of different, but it's neat, too! :-)
hsmom5 wrote:Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it, this helps me to understand it more! The family learning cycle sounds great, I was concerned about that in the beginning on teaching multiple lessons, but being able to join my younger ones in is wonderful!! I'm excited to start off this year!!

Blessings to you on your homeschool journey!!
-M
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy