Comparing - Literature-rich (MFW) vs literature-based

Renai

Just adding our previous books

Unread post by Renai » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:32 pm

No Place Like Home wrote:I am thinking that if we do go with MFW, that I will add our previous books to the Book Basket as well. There are so many good ones!

Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Another good thing about MFW is many of the same good books you want to add in are already listed in the MFW book basket list- by week and subject you'll be using it!

I also switched and after trying to match up the books, making a chart and everything, I gave up. MFW has those books. I received the Adventures manual and compared the book basket books to the SL list- they are all there. ALL of them. I'm not going to go through the ECC manual (we'll be using it next year). I'm pretty sure all the good books will be suggested somewhere in the book basket list. I've also learned that if you don't see a particular book in the book basket list, more than likely it's on a different level (at least for Adventures, since the age range is more narrow).

So, I'd like to encourage you to NOT do what I did, and go through trying to compare book lists and matching them to what week/subject it would go with in MFW. As the old commercial used to say, "It's In There."

Renai

dhudson

Finding a happy balance

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:34 pm

Posted Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:37 pm by dhudson

I will just tell you why I use MFW.

1. The Bible is the spine of MFW. I want my children to know why they believe what they believe and be able to quote it to anyone who asks. I want them to have read the Bible in it's entirety in school by the time they graduate.

2. Chronological History. It only makes sense to my feeble brain! You would not believe how many times I've said, "Oh, that's why they did that!". History builds on itself, it's so clear the cause and effect of things when looked at in order.

3. The worldview. MFW helps me teach my children our place in the world. It helps me to teach that we have a responsibility to tell the whole world about Jesus and that people just like us have done that throughout history.

4. Back to the Bible - I like that our art, our history, our science comes back to what we are learning in the Bible. It helps me show my children that God isn't in a box - He's everywhere and involved in everything.

5. Hands on activities and family learning. We loved all the feasts and festivals in CTG or Medievil Night Dinner in RTR or making and Eating Johnny Cakes in ADV. I like that I don't have to plan those on my own and they make learning so alive.

6. We can all learn together. It's so great to be able to have all of my children learning the same thing at the same time. The dinner discussions are so much fun from all their point of views.

I hope that you find what works for you and that you will have peace about your decision. I can tell you that I am so glad that we use MFW and have been 150% happy with it.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002