Family - Grades 2 to 8...isn't that an awfully large span?

3froggies

Re: Help me see how this will work with an 8th, 3/4th, and 2

Unread post by 3froggies » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:01 am

Julie, thank you. I did not realize that about the black squares- that is helpful!

Okay, after taking a look at the sample again, I can better understand which books would be appropriate for my older(s). I also see that my youngers would be doing the America workbooks and read alouds for 2/3rd.

Can someone give me an idea of books that I could read with my youngers besides the read alouds, like picture books? I'm assuming these would be in the "book basket" list? Does anyone buy these ahead of time? (It sure I can rely on getting to the library with the new baby coming. ). How are the book basket suggestions for this time period for youngers?

I want to make sure in combining ages that I am not neglecting special time with the littles. :)

Thanks so much. This board is so helpful!

Beth

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 am

3froggies wrote:Can someone give me an idea of books that I could read with my youngers besides the read alouds, like picture books? I'm assuming these would be in the "book basket" list? Does anyone buy these ahead of time? (It sure I can rely on getting to the library with the new baby coming. ). How are the book basket suggestions for this time period for youngers?"
book basket is where you'll find plenty of reading.

If it works better in your life to buy some, then look for the titles with asterisks. look for used books.. amazon, booksbloom, etc.

Another option? I use to get my husband to do some of the library trips.

How are the suggestions for youngers? when I did 1850MOD five years ago, we liked them.

hoping you get more answers. It's been 5 years since I've done 1850MOD...

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:21 am

Hi! We will be doing EXP1850 this upcoming school year with an 8th, 6th, and 3rd grader with a 2 year old in the mix. We have done ECC, CTG, & RTR, and I do read aloud the Bible and history to all of my kiddos. I like to learn and discuss along with them. I do try to give the baby lots of attention before we start, but still many days he seems to want ALL the attention and is distracting, but we push on and make it work. Sometimes I just have to read louder than he is talking/jabbering. Sometimes I have to stop and get him satisfied and then resume, but we make it work. My olders can go back and read and dig deeper afterward, but we do start off reading it together.

I do find the TM to be a blessing. It has everything planned and laid out so even when life interrupts, I can pick right back up where we left off. I like the structure it gives us.

When the youngers need me, my olders work on independent work, like english, math, and science. So some things we do together and some things are independent. I had to find our groove in that and still it changes from year to year as their needs change, but that is with any curriculum.

I did want to comment on your question about the extra books. Based on the other MFW years, there will be a list of book basket books in the back of the TM. They will be listed by weeks. Each book has a description from Marie on the content and age appropriateness of each book listed, also whether or not they are picture books. Some books have an asterick beside them meaning that they are highly recommended. These could be some you might want to purchase. You can see when you get your TM.

Another suggested would be to look at the MFW Ideas Forum to see if anyone listed books that they enjoyed and would recommend.

Our library sytem has an online system where I can place holds on books online. When they are ready to pick up, the library will give me a call. I pick them up when running errands or my dh will if I cannot make it that particular week. After my youngest was born, our library trips were not as frequent for awhile. We either did not have book basket books for those weeks or my dh would pick them up after I put the holds on them online. You might check to see if your library has something like this. Just a thought/suggestion.

Hope some of this helps!
Amy C.

3froggies

Unread post by 3froggies » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for responding! I guess like you said it will be much easier once I have a TM in front of me. I am still wondering if year 5 is the best one to start with again, since the topics are more appropriate for my oldest than my others. But, that is where her "gap" is, so I think that's my only choice. I don't know.... :~

Thanks again!

Colleen

new to MFW recomendation for 7grade and 3rd

Unread post by Colleen » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:20 am

raised4Him wrote:I am new to MFW and I guess you could say, I need some encouragement from someone else who has been in my shoes. I have 2 DD one will be 7th grade and the other 3rd grade. They love to do History together, but the age span is sometimes a challenge.

I really want to use MFW and have never been brave enough to try. But, feel this is where the Lord is leading me. I am thinking I need to start with EGC. I would love to hear any comments or suggestions on how this has worked for others. I have read a ton of reviews and messages on this discussion board, but haven't seen to many with this kind of age span. We have used apologia elementary science, and that has worked well, whatever "little britches" absorbs is always more than I expect.

But as we move into the upper grades with science, "big sis" is going to have to move on. How has this worked for you? Any ideas or pointers would be so greatly appreciated.
Last year I had a dd in 8th & a dd in 3rd (plus a preschooler and one in 5th too) Anyhow, we did all the history together. As far a supplements go, my older would often sit in and listen to the 3rd grade read aloud books (like at lunch). Sometimes the younger would listen to the older read alouds (if appropriate) or the older daughter would sometimes read it on her own.

Once my older reached 7th, she started going off on her own (to her room or whatever) to do her science and math. We never did math together, but in 7th it starts taking more time. 7th and 8th were a transition time for us. Going from everyone doing everything together to now the oldest is in 9th and doesn't do any official "school" with us. She pretty much works on her own in her room but we all hang out together at lunch and listen to Adventures in Odyssey or watch Green Acres or something like that.

BTW ECC is really fun and your older daughter can even do things like look up exchange rates on the computer etc. One other thing to consider is what you want to do the next year. If you do Creation to the Greeks and then use MFW for high school, your oldest will have ancient history for two years in a row. Just something to think about, but ECC is a great place to start.

Anyhow, obviously MFW has worked well for us. We've been using it since we started homeschooling nine years ago, and it's still working! HTH
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

Poohbee

Re: new to MFW recomendation for 7grade and 3rd

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:51 pm

(Waving) Me, me...I'm in your shoes. :-) And here's some encouragement for you. :-)

What I mean is, I have a 7th grader and 3rd grader (both girls) this year. We are doing Exploration to 1850. It works beautifully to do the history together, even with that age span! My 3rd grader sits in on all of the history and retains a great deal. The differences come when they write their summaries or do their president sheets. My 7th grader is required to write more than my 3rd grader. Other than that, we do history and read-alouds together, and it works very well.

My 7th grader is doing Apologia's General Science this year, and she does it completely on her own...reads the text, takes notes in the notebooking journal that Apologia sells, sets up and completes her own experiments and lab reports. While she does her science, I do the recommended science with my 3rd grader. It's nice one-on-one time for the two of us, just as I had with my 7th grader when she was in 3rd grade.

When we were doing ECC several years ago, my oldest was in 4th grade and my younger dd was in Kindergarten. Even at those ages, my younger dd joined us for some of the ECC. She did the John 3:16 country sheets with us and the music and art. She "traveled" to other countries with us and had her passport stamped. So, even with a large age span, it still works well to do history/geography with your kids together. You will LOVE ECC! It is a really fun and moving year. I really learned a lot with my kids and really gained a heart for missions during ECC. My kids loved the hands-on activities, art projects, cooking projects, and learning about different countries and people groups. So much fun! I think you will find it will work beautifully for your 7th grader and 3rd grader to work together on history, read-alouds, art, etc.

Welcome to MFW! Enjoy!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

TriciaMR

Re: new to MFW recomendation for 7grade and 3rd

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:03 pm

I have an 8th grader and twin 4th graders this year in ECC (so same age span). It has been fine. Oldest sits in on Bible, Geography, and Science (she doesn't do the experiments, as she is also doing Apologia Physical Science and those experiments). Then she goes off and does her "independent work" and I work with my boys. Then after lunch I work with my oldest on whatever she needs help on. It's been great.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog