MFW workshops & audio CDs -- Reviews

Julie - Staff

MFW workshops & audio CDs -- Reviews

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:44 pm

The MFW Website offers several MFW workshop recording on CD which users have found to be helpful and encouraging.
To order these, go to the main MFW Website and click on "curriculum." The "Workshops on CD" are at the bottom of the drop-down list, after "Foreign Language."
Here is a direct link: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/25/Workshops-on-CD/

The thread below contains reviews of those workshops, posted by users who have been inspired to share how helpful they were.

This thread also includes reviews of additional workshops given by David Hazell and other MFW staff members at convention sites around the country over the years. Some of these workshop CDs are available for sale at convention or vendor websites. Others may no longer be available through the organization that originally recorded them. The information shared below about those talks may still be encouraging.

Note that some of those CDs will duplicate the workshops available at the MFW website, linked above.

Julie - Staff

Interpreting Classical Models in the 21st Century

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Posted Wed May 02, 2007 10:28 pm by TNLisa
I just listened to the CD Interpreting Classical Models in the 21st Century. Wow. My eyes have been opened like never before. I only wish I could go back 6 years and start over again with my son when he was in K. Looking forward to starting fresh in the morning...since I can't go back in time :)

Blessings,
Lisa

Posted Wed May 02, 2007 10:40 pm by 4Truth
YES!!!! I "kind of" got it before listening to this CD, but then I bought this CD after reading Crystal's recommendation. Dh and I listened to it together, and we jointly had the same reaction as you.

In fact, I gave my CD away just a few days ago to a new mommy who plans to homeschool. What a great tool this is! I need to order another copy for myself. Okay, I might as well order two!

I say order as many as you can in one shot, because shipping is $5 whether you order one CD or 10. I think. I've only ordered as many as 4 at a time, but it was still only $5.

Posted Fri May 04, 2007 4:29 pm by cbollin
Kim Schroter wrote:What is this talking about? Is it if you desire to teach from a classical approach?
This particular workshop David talks a lot about the "why's" behind the "what's" of 3 different classical styles of education (Hebrew model, Ancient Greek, and Ancient Roman) and just why in the world would a Christian homeschooler care about that in the 21st century. He ties it in with the overal goals of MFW.

What were their goals? What could our goals be? What was essential in their education and why? What should be essential in our homeschools and why?
I'd really love to hear what made it click so much with everyone else. What was it that just hit with some of us?

When I listened it to it, it seemed to tie a bunch of things together and helped to remind me of why I am following MFW's suggestions. I really liked that it reminded me to think beyond just the academics and into the next generation. David says in it there are many interpretations of classical and MFW has its own version.

I like that it was a food for thought and had me thinking a bit. It was more extensive on the explanations of the classical approach than any of the other MFW workshops I had heard. In those workshops I ususally just heard this is what MFW does and doesn't do from classical approach. This workshop was about the "why's" MFW does it that way and gave me reason to reflect on the big picture in the context of a Christian education.

It's interesting. I thought -- why do I want to listen to something on classical education again? Every time I try to understand the "classical approach" I feel so burdened and weighed down. I listened to this one by David Hazell and, honestly, it was the first time I didn't feel burdened or weighed down. It was encouraging. And a path that even I could probably follow and not feel like a total failure.

--crystal

Posted Fri May 04, 2007 8:16 pm by TNLisa
The workshop opened my eyes to understand the purpose behind MFW's philosophy and I can now say that I am willing to fully embrace their curriculum selections and trust. I know that God will show me if something isn't a good fit --- but the enemy would like nothing better than for me to doubt my choices, my abilities and my sanity. I have tried to duplicate everything my kids had been doing at their former "classical Christian school" --- I had been chained to that way of doing things and it's been torture. A few months ago I began to second guess some of the methods...which started the ball rolling and then God began to show me amazing things. There has been freedom in so many areas for me --- praises!

Listening to the cd only affirmed even greater our decision to switch to MFW - and it helped me to make sense of the "is it enough" questions I keep having.

Blessings,
Lisa

Posted Sat May 05, 2007 11:38 am by 4Truth
TNLisa wrote:Listening to the cd only affirmed even greater our decision to switch to MFW - and it helped me to make sense of the "is it enough" questions I keep having.
Yes, and I too need this *constant* reminder. For us, listening to the CD affirmed to my DH that MFW is the right choice for us. Prior to that, he was fine with it, thought it was great... but didn't really get the "big picture" and therefore wasn't committed to it.

I urge you ladies to ask your dh's to listen to this CD, and any others that might help him understand some of the issues you might be having as a teacher, which the CDs might shed some light on.

In fact, I'd like to see more promotability of the conference talks from the MFW staff, not just here on the forums where we users are gathering, but perhaps a mention of the appropriate talks on the correspnding pages of the website. For example, the one about geography, list that as an optional purchase on the ECC page. Or on the FAQ page and/or the "About MFW" page, include a link to where the CDs can be purchased and a listing of what titles are available, as well as a short summary of what each one is about. (My dh even suggested that they include the Interpreting Classical Models CD in every package they send out to new customers!) Anyway, something like that. The CDs are so helpful to me as a veteran homeschooler... they'd be a real blessing to newbies!
cbollin wrote:When I listened it to it, it seemed to tie in a bunch of things together and helped to remind me of why I am following MFW's suggestions. I really liked that it reminded me to think beyond just the academics and into the next generation.
Yes, ditto this, Crystal! Especially that part about "the next generation". I think sometimes we parents think so hard about just passing this child through the government mandated testing so that they can get into college or whatever, that we fail to think about how they might serve God (and the people around them), and how their children might be raised, as well.

What we teach our children NOW will affect generations to come. Think about John and Charles Wesley, Martin Luther, Charles Spurgeon, and so many others. They all had mothers, and they affect they still have on us today. They all went to school somewhere and learned about God from someone. Who did they become? Who did they ultimately serve? Did they live to be served, or to serve?

Posted Sun May 20, 2007 10:00 pm by Julie L.
All I can say is "wow"! Every person who has bought MFW and every homeschooler needs to listen to the CD's on education, methods etc. What wisdom and a true eyeopener into where education methods came from and what truly dc need to know. I so agree now and am glad we are going with MFW. It all makes sense now.

Julie L.

Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:36 am by mamaofredheads
Julie, I totally agree with you about everyone listening to the CDs!!! I purchased some just a few weeks ago and have learned so much from them. I only wish I had listened to them when we first started using MFW. I wouldn't have tried to add to it or change things! It has been so helpful for me to understand why they do things the way they do. I would encourage anyone who is uncertain about MFWs methods...is the science too light, why did they choose Singapore, why did they choose the LA they did, why do they wait until 4th grade to begin teaching world history, why do they choose the books they do, is it academic enough,etc., etc. to listen to these before making any changes. I was very encouraged by the CDs!

HTH!
Glenna

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:57 am by cbollin
“21st Century” -- This is one where David Hazell talks a lot about the “why’s” of the what we, as Christian home schoolers, “should be” teaching our children. This talk was given at a convention that was heavily influenced with a lot of top names in the Classical Ed circles in home schooling. This one is more a philosophy of education talk.

I liked it. It shed some “ah ha that’s why they don’t do that and that’s why they do it this way” moments even for me. Oh, so that’s why they don’t do a formal grammar until middle school; or so that’s why it is not a full Latin program. That’s why they focus so much on encouraging service projects as a mandatory subject in high school. (It was obvious and made sense --- I just never sat down to think about it.) Even for me, who obviously really likes MFW, it was nice to hear all of that. It helped to remind me why I’m trust their process.

He looks at 3 models of “classical ed” – Greek, Roman, Hebrew. (Ok – that part was a little dry to listen to, but necessary for the talk. So stay awake during that part. He still does a better job than I would).
Then he examines: Why did they teach what they taught? What was the goal of using that material? Then how does MFW recommend to teach the “why” not the “what”.

Without giving away too much here …. (don’t need a spoiler alert, do I?) David concludes with how MFW interprets goals of education in light of the MFW business purpose statement (raising up generations of Godly families, see the world through God’s eye, and live accordingly).
And then talks a bit about the strategies and goals of various academic subjects and how they play into meeting those goals because MFW is concerned about both training hearts and minds. So he does move into the application of it as well.

So this one is a good one if you have ever wondered, what should I be teaching my children and why does it matter. And also if you have ever thought about your grandchildren’s education (and even if you haven't thought about your grandchildren's education until now.)
Last edited by Julie - Staff on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4Truth

Multi-Level Teaching in the Elementary Years

Unread post by 4Truth » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 pm

Posted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:41 am
I have to say that the one on multi-level teaching in the elementary years was helpful to me. That's an area where I've really struggled since my 2nd dd became "of age" for schooling. I haven't found this multi-level teaching as easy as everyone seemed to say, and have almost gone back to separate level textbooks a couple times because of it.

However, after listening to this CD, I realized that we've been doing it right all along, after all! What I was doing wrong was simply expecting too much out of my second child. I was worrying too much!

cbollin

Developing An Independent Learner

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:58 pm

Posted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:57 am
I was surprised at how Developing an Independent Learner applied to all age groups. There is high school and teen age information on it, but it is not the only focus.

I have the SETHSA06 version. David talks about the things he and Marie did right and even the things they did wrong along the way (including stories about burning out the oldest yikes!)

David talks how getting an independent learner is not an overnight thing, but it is a process that starts much earlier than high school. He even gives ideas within the preschool years to help lay a foundation for later years of thinking. And even how field trips plan into the big picture and how not to rush a field trip.

He discusses the stages of learning in terms of where they are in relation to reading and how much of our time our children need for instruction.

David gives many examples of how his children’s personal interests and goals become part of their lifelong learning. And even how events in your real life help to develop independent learning without making “academic machines”.

You even get some glimpses into the whole “light and independent Fridays” in the programs and how that plays into the long term picture of independent learning.

Don’t worry --- you’ll end up laughing at yourself through the mistakes that David made and feel encouraged in the variety of things that the Hazell children are doing. Thank you David for being so real and honest in your workshops.

I do want to make sure I say this again... as much as possible, do remember to attend the workshop sessions at your local convention and use the recordings from other conventions to fill in the gaps. Not all workshops can be given at each and every convention. And also, MFW can't be at each and every convention. Attending workshops is a great way to learn a lot and a way to bless the many speakers who travel to these things.. :)

--crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

niki

School at Home or Family Education

Unread post by niki » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:03 pm

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:17 am
I was at INCH and went to David's newest talk - GREAT! I highly recommend listening to this one.

A few things I gleaned:

-Am I impressing God's Word on my kids and is it central to our day?
-What I'm accomplishing at home will endure for generations - we're teaching the next generation - and making our kids better parents than us.
-(My favorite) Jesus' example with his chosen 12...(succeeded with 11) in three years he invested in these men who changed the world...imagine what we can do in 18 with the one's chosen for us!!!!!!! (whew I get goosebumps)

I hope this encourages many to listen! What encouragement!
Last edited by niki on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

4Truth

Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated

Unread post by 4Truth » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:05 pm

Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:14 pm
The talk on "Isolated, Insulated..." was EXCELLENT. Very helpful. Sometimes it's hard to know whether we should be pulling in the reins a little bit, or loosening them up.

Honestly, I loved all of them that I've listened to! And hubby's listened to a few of them, too. I agree that the Classical Education talk is my first choice if you can only get one, but after that... it's too hard to choose!

Oh, and just a little funny here.... The girls and I drove nearly 1,000 miles across the country to visit friends last month. I listened to several of David's CDs while the younger girls were napping on the drive. At one point I was trying to decide between one of these, or something else, and my oldest dd voted for one of these because, "I like to hear his voice. It's soothing and helps me go to sleep." LOL! I hadn't thought of David's voice as "soothing", but I see what she means because once he gets past the Intro, it's like you're sitting across the table from him and he's sharing his heart... his passion. He sounds so "real". Well, he sounds like a.... father. ;o)
Last edited by Julie - Staff on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mamaofredheads

Family Ministry: Becoming a Family of Purpose

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:37 am
My second choice (after the one on classical education) would be Family Ministry: Becoming a Family of Purpose. For someone who wants focus in their home schooling, I think it is excellent. It would help you see the "big picture" of MFW.

One advantage to ordering the CD (over the MP3) is that you have it to loan out to others. I've purchased 5 different CDs so far, and as I loan them out to people is wonderful to see how God uses them in their lives!

HTH!
Glenna
Last edited by Julie - Staff on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

cbollin

Choosing CDs: Topic overlap

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm

Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:45 am
I agree with Glenna's recommendation that Becoming a Family of Ministry is a great talk. There is some overlap with Exposed Isolated or Insulated, even though they are very different topics and talks.

“Combining” and “21st century” have some overlap. I think Combining talks more about the “how MFW does it and some of the why’s.” “21st Century” talks about “why’s and goals of MFW and touches a little on the how’s.”

“Homeschool Road Map” is similar to “Combining” --- they may even be the same talk with an alternate title.

"Road Map" aka "Combining" uses an extended metaphor of a road trip across the country to explain unit studies, classical ed, charlotte mason, Christian worldview and how MFW combines the best of these approaches. Also in this talk usually he gives the “road map” of MFW when it comes to the K-12 sequence in terms of history cycles, Bible plan, science plan, and the “stages of learning.” MFW doesn’t call those stages “grammar, logic, rhetoric,” but “pre reading, learning to read, learning to love to read, and learning by reading.”

Posted Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:40 am by cbollin
meagabby wrote:I've been browsing Rhino Technologies and wonder if anyone knows if "Occupying preschoolers while teaching others" is the same topic as "Involving your Preschooler in your homeschool" just with a different name. Thanks,
Dena
yep. same basic talk with title change on those. There might be one or two little tidbits new in one of the those, but the same basic title.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

cbollin

Homeschooling in the Real World vs. Help! My Homesc

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:28 pm

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:13 pm
Homeschooling in the Real World vs. Help! My Homeschool is Chaos? Depends.....

Do you need a pep talk that you're not a failure yet (Chaos)? Nothing like putting Chaos in my CD player and cleaning my school room. There are times it feels like motivation and other times just a gentle reminder to do what I know needs to be done. :)

Or, do you need a pep talk that even homeschool convention speakers have real lives and all of that (Real World), and that we have to get school done even if "life events" want to get in the way of that goal.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Julie - Staff

CDs have been very encouraging, clarifying

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:30 pm

Posted Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:13 am by ruthie5573
I just wanted to encourage anyone researching MFW or even old-timers that haven't listened to David Hazell speak...these CDs have been very encouraging to me. We are totally new to homeschooling and I feel the Lord has led us to this curriculum...it fits very in line with my vision for our family and I really enjoyed listening to the Hazell's heart for the Lord.

Posted Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:07 am by LSH in MS
I have finally listened to some of David's cds which I have wanted to do for some time now. I finally understand the "whys" behind the plan and structure of MFW -- the MFW philosophy of education and long term goals.

As I listened it confirmed to me that MFW was right for us as the goals the Hazells have for their children are the same goals I have. Thank you MFW for creating a curriculum that is balanced academically, spiritually, and leaves time to develop those life skills and service projects for others. I tend to focus on the academics to the exclusion of all else and I am so glad to have MFW (and the Holy Spirit) to keep me on track. I was very excited about MFW's plan to develop independent learners. Thank you MFW!

Posted Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:19 am by cbollin
mamato2 wrote:I need some suggestions. We're just starting out on our homeschooling journey. I'm actually a year away from starting MFWK with our now almost 4 year old. What would be your top three or four recommendations for someone in my position? Thanks.
Just starting out... hmmmm....

The one about the K and 1st grade program might be appropriate for you.
• Hands-on Kindergarten and First Grade
and
• Occupying Preschoolers while Teaching Older Children --might be helpful even now.

I'd recommend ones that cover the big picture and long term thinking
• Integrating God’s Word and Character Building –
• Family Ministry Becoming a Family of Purpose
• 21st Century Classical Education (This one is sometimes called What Should Christians in the 21st Century Teach Their Children?). Very interesting workshop. Explains a lot of the reasoning behind the way things are done with MFW. It definitely gets you thinking about lots of things.

That's 5 and you asked for 3 or 4. :) hoping others might chime in with their favorites as well.
-crystal
Last edited by Julie - Staff on Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mamaofredheads

CDs For understanding the MFW big picture

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:34 pm

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:27 pm
For understanding the big picture of MFW, "Integrating God's Word & Character Building" (I think this one is my favorite) & "21 Century Classical Ed." would be my recommendations. I think these are excellent for anyone considering MFW or who currently uses it. I would have done some things differently had I listened to these earlier.
Last edited by mamaofredheads on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

mamaofredheads

Working Dads Can Homeschool Too!

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:35 pm

Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:27 pm
DH just did the other day & said it was very good.

I plan to get more CDs in the future because they were all an encouragement to me & helped me have a clearer vision for our schooling & famiily purpose. I think they are great have on hand to loan to people who ask us about MFW as well.

Glenna
Last edited by mamaofredheads on Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Homeschooling6

Learning to Read

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:24 pm

Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:17 pm
For those of you who are using MFW K or 1st grade or will start soon I wanted to give you some unwanted advice ;) BUY the conference cd "Learning to Read" I have gleaned so much. I understand their reading programs now!

Even if you do not go with MFW I think it is a MUST HAVE for anyone who will be teaching a child to read.

I am going to have my dh listen to it and I am sure I will listen to it many more times.

I owned both K & 1st but did not complete them because I didn't understand why they did this or that but listening to the cd gave me a lot more insight and I am now reordering a second time because I now understand (a whole light bulb moment here).

Blessings,

Julie - Staff

Comparing similar versions

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Mon May 05, 2008 3:00 pm

Jenn in NC wrote:Does anyone know if there is essentially any difference between "Occupying Preschoolers" and "Involving Your Preschoolers in Your Homeschool" (if it matters, I am looking at the versions sold on Rhino).
Posted Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:27 am by cbollin
Jenn,
Sounds like the same workshop with a slightly different twist in the title at one of the conventions compared to another. That’s normal. The phrase and advice that comes out of that workshop is how to educate, involve and occupy preschoolers.

My opinion is to listen to the more recent version of a workshop rather than an older version unless you just know that a certain convention was the one you wanted to hear or attended and liked.
Jenn in NC wrote: I also need to know if the workshop that Rhino calls "Learning to Love to Read" is the same as the one called "Learning to Read" from ... whatever the name is of the other place with the downloads. Sorry, the name escapes me at the moment.
Sounds the same with a title tweak.

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:13 am by jangreer
If you can see which has the longest time, that might be helpful, too. I've heard this session several years at my hs conference, but just recently at a MFW specific conference and the session was longer and even better than before. I guess it helps that I'm in the middle of it right now with a very BUSY 2 yo. It was such a help and encouragement. We only had two disasters yesterday.

Julie - Staff

Experiences With Rhino Technologies?

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:38 am

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:58 pm by Lucy
During convention season they can be slow as they are a small company and do not have extra employees. This was what they told me last year. It may be best to call them on a Mon.-. Wed.
Lucy

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:03 pm by JenniferF
Just writing to say I agree with Lucy. I have talked with the owners and their children at length at convention last year and they are an awesome family! They work very hard in their ministry and are on the road often. Just as Lucy said, give them a little time at this time of year. I am sure you will get your CD's soon.

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:00 am by cbollin
Last summer I was at a conference where I was able to say hi to this family. I told them how thankful I am that they have so many of MFW's workshops. And that I was cyber-telling lots of people how to order those workshops.

After a few laughs with me, they explained that typically they get a lot of individual post-conference sales about 1 week following an event. But they get a stream of orders for David Hazell workshops from all kinds of conferences at all times of year. It was clear to everyone at their booth that it was because of a huge post on this message board. The Reinhart family is thankful for all of those orders during otherwise traditionally slow times of the year. Our constant order stream is an encouragement to them even if it hasn't been the normal of their business and personal lives.

Many of us over here are part of their growth this year. Adding their travels and this missions trip to my prayers.
-crystal

Posted Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:31 pm by Julie in MN
I wanted to chime in as someone who *doesn't* know the Rhino folks at all, but received very good & prompt service from them. Even when one CD didn't seem to work well, they immediately sent me a free replacement. So I feel confident they are good folks!
Julie

cbollin

CDs For new MFW user?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:46 am

dascott wrote:I have never used MFW and I don't think they are scheduled to speak at the convention I am going to attend. I was wondering if there were any Convention CD's that would be helpful for me to listen to before beginning the curriculum? I have a dd-going into 4th and ds going into 7th grade.
Dedra
Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:09 am
MFW has some nice general session topics. And then there are sessions related to the curriculum. And some that mix and match a bit.

I think the "What Should 21st Century Christians teach their children" is a great one. It is sometimes called Interpreting Classical Education in the 21st century (and is called something like that on the workshop post). It is not only classical education that MFW does. This one really gets into the why's behind the what's of MFW. I even plan to get the 2008 recording at some point since I've only heard it under the alternate title with the classical education side.

"Homeschool road map" and/or "Combining Classical Education/CM/unit studies in Christian worldview" --- either is a good one for getting the big picture scope and sequence of MFW.

Expanding Your Child’s Understanding of the World and its Cultures --- might be a good one to listen to. You might end up deciding to do ECC at some point (either next year or the year after that).

And Becoming a Family of Eternal Purpose -- that's a good one

mamanamadee

Surrendering Our Lives & Empowring Your Homeschool

Unread post by mamanamadee » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Just wanted to say that I attended Surrendering Our Lives & Our Families for God’s Purpose and Empowering Your Homeschool with Eternal Purpose this summer and both were FANTASTIC. I'm sure that's no surprise to any of you who have been around here very long. For this first year MFW-er, those two workshops were definite confirmation that God led us to this curriculum/ministry. Another "Thank you," to David Hazell and family and all the MFW staff.

~Naomi
2010-2011 preparing for MFW CTG in the fall
2009-2010 MFW 1st and pre-K/toddler toys
2008-2009 MFW ECC, K, and pre-K/toddler toys
dd12, dd7, ds3

sonlitgables

Kids enjoy workshop messages, too.

Unread post by sonlitgables » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:35 am

We just received our MFW order yesterday--Ancient History & Lit for my 9th grader and Creation to the Greeks for our Family Bible Study. The books look wonderful! :) I really like what I'm seeing and hearing.

MFW sent an audio CD as well titled "Complete Curriculum with a Biblical Worldview: Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated: How Should We Homeschool Our Children?" I listened to this last night while preparing & cleaning up after dinner. David Hazell made some very interesting points. He had lots of statistics to go along with what he was saying. It certainly encouraged me to stay the course in homeschooling our children.

My 11 yo ds just happened to be in the room with me and choose to stay and listen. In fact, he asked after dinner if he could turn the CD player on and finish listening to it. :O Wow! This is a child who lately has been quite down on "school" and has a hard time seeing the value in learning to read & write. He has struggled with reading and writing since he began K five years ago. :(

Anyway, I digress... Ds was SO interested in what Mr. Hazell said. He wanted to discuss it with me afterward. We had a very good conversation about living with a Biblical Worldview and what that means for our family. He was shocked that out of the many people surveyed about a whether they believed the 8 points of a Christian Worldview, only a very small percentage answered yes to every question. And these are basic Biblical beliefs! Ds has been taught these all the years we've been hs'ng.

Wow! I've been so worried about ds, who is beginning his 5th grade year, not doing well with reading and writing and how to "catch him up", feeling like a failure myself at times. Now, when I really step back and look at the homeschooling goals that we set early in our journey, I can see fruit of the way we've been teaching our children by putting God first in teaching His Word as such an integral part of our lives. As, Mr. Hazell mentions on this CD, academics are important, but NOT the most important aspect of homeschooling. The most important thing that we do in homeschooling is discipling our children to know, love and follow the Lord Jesus Christ and touch the lives of others by sharing the Word of God.
It really is that simple! I rejoice in the grace our God has given us as sons & daughters of God through the death & resurrection of Christ Jesus. He gives each and every one of us all the grace that we need to disciple our children according to His Word. What an AWESOME God we serve!
-Cindy, mom of 4, ages 4 to 15

cbollin

Re: Kids enjoy workshop messages, too.

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:55 am

Cindy,

My very soon to be 13 year old daughter is another kid who enjoys listening to David's workshops. She'll grab her crochet and set down interesting novels to listen to his workshops. We all enjoyed a recent workshop, Empowering Your Homeschool, as we drove back from St. Louis 2 days ago. Wow!!! My husband sat there driving and was blessed to put it mildly. My daughter has the advantage of having met several of the Hazell kids at various conventions and such. So she knows they are normal and ordinary and even a little silly, and really do fight on occasion <grin> As my daughter said "they're just like us." Those stories of what David and his family have done have inspired my kids to reach higher and even encouraged my daughter about things with youth group and such. But they never make us feel like we are somehow inferior or failures along the way.

-crystal

cbollin

MP3 & streaming versions

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 am

Teresa in TX wrote:I realize that I'd do better having an mp3 version of the workshop cds. Is that possible? All I'm seeing is the ability to order the cds.
Thanks!
High Country Home Educators
In addition to the idea of purchasing them......this is a listen online archive, not a download, you have to sit and listen in real time. It's a streaming listening and all of that.....)
2012 update: Membership seems to be required
Rhino doesn't have MP3, as of 2009
MannaRecording dot com
Search for "My Father's World"
Best Christian Conferences, 2012 UPDATE: I don't think that company exists anymore.
Resounding Voice
http://www.ResoundingVoice.com/catalog/
and search on Hazell as speaker and then you can order MP3.
I wish I could link directly to each talk. But the way their site is set up, I can't.

Here are David Hazell titles that you can find on Resounding Voice on MP3, as of 2009
Working Dads Can Homeschool Too
Home School: Is it School at home or Family Education (from 2007)
Help! My Homeschool is Chaos
Interpreting Classical Education for the 21st Century
Expanding Your Understanding of the World and Its Cultures
Combining Education Methods
What Should 21st Century Christians Be Teaching
Making Geography and History Come Alive
Homeschooling A Way Of Life
Developing Independent Learners

4Truth

Teaching me how to teach

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:26 am

Listening to these CDs was like having the Hazell's stand over my shoulder right in our own home and teach me how to teach. In some areas, I got confirmation that I was doing it right and that was such an encouragement to me! And in other areas, well, let's just say that David got me where it hurt! You'll find yourself laughing as you feel like he's been watching through your windows.... and if your kids are within earshot, they'll laugh, too!
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

momrandles

Just downloaded one of David's lectures....

Unread post by momrandles » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:18 pm

....and it was FANTASTIC!! !! It was the Developing Independent Learners one from Best Christian Conferences.

Listening to David speak should be REQUIRED at this time of the year when we're all overcome with spring fever or the annual "I wonder if XYZ curriculum is better" phase! Just the thing to re-focus myself on WHO--Christ and WHY--my children's hearts I homeschool.

:-) :-) :-)

jasntas

7-CD Workshop Set - Very Encouraging!!!

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:31 am

Last week I ordered the 7 CD workshop set. I got it Friday or Saturday but just got the chance to listen to one of them today. I listened to "What Should 21st Century Christians Be Teaching Their Children?" I was so encouraged that I listened to another one. I think it was "Becoming a Family of Eternal Purpose". They were both awesome and so encouraging. I was going to wait until our Modesto, CA, convention (the end of July) but needed the encouragement now. The 2 one hour cd's took me about 3 hours to listen to since I had to keep stopping it due to many interruptions, mostly from my kids and I didn't want to miss any of it.

Update: Postby jasntas » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:55 pm
Well, I have now spent the last 3 days listening to the cd's. Each one kept me wanting to hear the next one and confirmed in me what I was feeling all along about "becoming a family of eternal purpose". They have also challenged me and convicted me in the areas where I need change. So this is a warning to anyone thinking of getting these cd's. BEWARE they might be life changing!

I was so excited about the cd's that my dh listened to "Becoming a Family of Eternal Purpose" today. He was just as inspired and convicted as I was. He has always been with me regarding hs-ing. I think it may have originally been his idea. But I think we both really see the bigger picture more clearly now.

More: Posted Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:51 pm by jasntas
I have the 7 cd set. It was so encouraging and, even though I didn't have any younger than K I even listened to Occupying Preschoolers.

I will say that probably my all time favorite was Exposed Isolated or Insulated. It has been one I have referred to many times. It seemed to pinpoint a lot of the reasons why our family wanted to hs in the first place. And I believe it has helped equip me to share with others as to why we hs because as you probably already know that subject seems to come up often with non hsers.
Last edited by jasntas on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Crystallea

Re: 7-CD Workshop Set - Very Encouraging!!!

Unread post by Crystallea » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:00 am

I just got the 7 cd set also. I could so ditto your post--same two cds listened to, with many interuptions and playbacks but so worth it. so encouraging. I am constantly in self-doubt. Did I pick the right curriculum, can I really homeschool 6 kiddos, etc.? Hearing David describe the why behind the classical style set my mind at ease. We are on the right track. Love the comment from David about his children not testing well (before 7th grade) but not caring!!!!!! So excited to begin our education with MFW.
Crystal
Crystal
Wife to Randy, mom to Gavin 27, Ryan 24, Dawson 11 Bailey James 11, Brianna 10, Melissa 9, Jack & Sam 6, Micah 5
Blessed to have adopted youngest 6.

jasntas

Workshops on CD - Helping parents understand homeschooling

Unread post by jasntas » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:22 pm

I plan to give my mom the book "So - Why Do You Homeshcool?" by Mimi Davis. And if she still pushes the subject of homeschooling, I think I'll also give her David Hazell's cd "Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated: How Should We Educate Our Children". She is a Christian and I really hope these two resources help me in explaining myself and help her understand. But if they don't that's fine too. I just may have to wait it out and let her see for herself. Although I expect that to take at least a couple of years. I pray for endurance in the meantime.

These two resources and some of Mr. Hazell's other cd's and the book "For The Child's Sake" have definitely defined for me and reminded me as to why I am doing this.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.