MFW workshops & audio CDs -- Reviews

SandKsmama

Favorite Workshop on CD by Mr. Hazell?

Unread post by SandKsmama » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:54 pm

angelam wrote:My name is Angela and I currently have 5 children (#6 due in Nov.). We are ready for a change. After much prayer, obsessive research, and more prayer, I finally think I've found our curriculum answer: MFW!!! :-) We'll be starting ECC in the fall. I will be doing MFW K as well.

While I am waiting to have enough funds to buy the curriculum, I think I would really like to listen to one or two of the Workshops on CD by Mr. Hazell to get a better feel for MFW and just plain be encouraged. If you could only pick 1 or 2, which ones are your favorites or would you recommend for a newbie? Thank you!
For a newbie, I really like the Combining classical, Charlotte Mason, and unit studies from a Christian perspective (I think that's the name)...it really lays out what MFW is all about as a curriculum.

Another one I heard recently that I loved was about Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated . When I heard that one, it just reiterated to me (again) my MFW is a great curriculum for us, b/c our vision for our kids lines up SO well with the Hazell's.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Jenn in NC

Re: Favorite Workshop on CD by Mr. Hazell?

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:48 pm

It is so hard to pick just one or two, but my personal favorite would probably have to be "Help! My homeschool is chaos!" because, well, my homeschool was chaos.

And now it is not. That workshop saved our school-year this last year. No exaggeration. I think it is essential if you have a house full of kiddo's.
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:01 pm

You might also listen to Occupying Toddlers & Preschoolers While Teaching Older Children. I found it a wonderful workshop and it really helped me to see and plan things allot differently when we started schooling again- ie more peace less whining. . . .

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:39 am

After hearing Mr. Hazel speak for the first time this year, I would say any of his CDs would be worthwhile to listen to. He really speaks from the heart and with great wisdom and experience. I found "Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated: How Should We Educate Our Children" to be wonderful. I heard Mr. Hazel speak on this at a conference and I bought the CD aftewards and have listened to it several times. He really explains what our role is in being with our children. Excellent.

I also like the one on classical education. I believe it was "What Should 21st Century Christians Be Teaching Their Children?" Is that right? Someone please correct me if I am wrong about the title. This really opened my eyes and helped me see what classical is and is not, and why MFW made the choices they did in picking certain books and methods of teaching, for instance, why heavy grammar is not included in early elementary like it is with some curriculums. After listening to this CD I felt completely different about the how-to's of homeschooling as in feeling more relaxed over it, not stressed out about having to teach the way the general population thinks we should (i.e. the way the public school teaches).

Best wishes in making your selection. I don't think you can go wrong no matter which ones you select. :)

Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:18 pm

momtogc wrote:I found "Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated: How Should We Educate Our Children" to be wonderful.

I also like the one on classical education. I believe it was "What Should 21st Century Christians Be Teaching Their Children?"
These would be my first two choices, as well. They answered a lot of questions I had that I struggled with as far as "How much is too much?" Or not enough? These two discussions really helped to clarify the direction we wanted our homeschool to go.

That said, they've ALL been very good... insightful and encouraging. And convicting sometimes, too. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:26 am

As I think most everyone else has said, my first choice would definitely be "Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated: How Should We Educate Our Children". My second would be more difficult to choose. For me "Becoming a Family of Eternal Purpose" would probably be my 2nd choice but "What Should 21st Century Christians Be Teaching Their Children?" or "Occupying Preschoolers while Homeschooling Older Children" might be better choices for you right now. IMHO

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

gratitude

Workshop CD's

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:21 pm

Marcee wrote:I saw these mentioned in some posts on the board. I was thinking of ordering a few with our curriculum. Would love to know if anyone has them and what your thoughts are. Any of them really help you?
I have ordered a few CDs each time I have ordered curriculum, and have really enjoyed the stories, scriptures, insights, etc. that David has had to share. He is a great speaker!

They have all helped me differently.

Family Ministry has inspired me to want to serve more with young children (still thinking of ways, we did a little this summer).
Exposed, Isolated, or Insulated helped me think more about where my kids are really at, and our own parenting.
Occupying Preschoolers helped me on a practical level with my two dd.
What 21st Century Christrians Should Be Teaching Their Children gave me some great home school support of why I do what I do, and helped me find great peace with my choice to homeschool and my choice of MFW.
Working Dads Can Homeschool too is a great CD for dad (or mom, if dad home schools).
I have listened to parts of Take My Life and Let it Be, and it is a very meaningful CD set. It inspired my ds 7 A LOT! Me too. To action even.

I hope this helps. Enjoy! :)

Julie in MN

Re: Workshop CD's

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 am

Marcee,
I'm not sure I have a favorite. Maybe the 21st century one? I like listening to inspiring tapes in the car and cycle thru David's talks every so often :) There are always lots of laughs and lots of *practical* tips (not just theoretical).

I borrowed my Take My Life set to a friend last year and just got it back -- after I think it cycled through her entire extended family, homeschooled or not!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

pinkchopsticks

Re: Workshop CD's

Unread post by pinkchopsticks » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Becoming a family of eternal purpose was AMAZING! The best thing I have listened to/read all summer....and I have been doing a ton of reading this summer, so that says alot. It is a gem.

davimee

Combining Classical Education, Charlotte Mason, and Unit Stu

Unread post by davimee » Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 am

Yesterday I listened to David Hazell's "Combining Classical Education, Charlotte Mason, and Unit Studies with a Christian Perspective." I really enjoyed listening to that, and now I think I like MFW even more! I can hardly wait to start! :)

Before listening to this, I had pretty much decided to go with another LA program. I've done numerous online searches, wondering if ILL & PLL are enough. Everything I've read says they are. But still, there's that part of me that thinks, "It can't possible teach them what they need to know when it's so easy!" (when combined with the other resources MFW suggests). Until yesterday... :) What Mr. Hazell said about grammar and ILL & PLL really made sense.

Emily
Emily - Wife of one wonderful man, Mommy of two terrific girls (11 & 8 )

This is our second year with MFW, using Creation to the Greeks. :)

asheslawson

I ordered a few of MFW CD's by David Hazell...so glad!

Unread post by asheslawson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:05 am

Ok..I'd wanted to grab one or two of these here and there but money is always tight - well - I finally did. I got two of them and they arrived yesterday. My dh is very supportive of home schooling, but has been very detached from it and usually stays out in his work shop doing his own thing in the evenings. The kids have their own toys that stay out there but often they are inside - and he is just working on his most recent project. I gave him the David Hazell CD called "Working Dad's Can Home School Too", without even hearing it first - I still haven't played it! But he said something yesterday about how he'd been helping so much with the dishes lately (I've been really sick since a week before Christmas and I'm only today feeling slightly ok again). When he said it I told him that I'd ordered something I wanted him to hear - I did not know what it was like because I had not had time to preview it - but I had been told it was good.

Fast forward to tonight ...... He comes home tonight - and hands the CD back to me. He said - "This is good - I really enjoyed it." He discussed something that was discussed at the end about the last child being easily distracted and needed special time set aside to help him read (David's story), but my dh related to it because our dd is child #6 and just not that interested in reading - but boy is she into everything else! He came in and did our MFW 1st science project with us for day 63 because he'd heard me mention we'd had to put it off till tonight because the newborn I babysit had thrown our schedule off today. He and my dd & ds spent over an hour building tin foil boats and having contests to see whose boat would sink first as they tossed pennies, two at a time, onto their boats. They kept re-designing a new boat and trying again. My 7 year old was overjoyed to win the last round with her boat winning as it supported 92 pennies!!! It was truly a great night! I still don't know what is on that CD - but BIG THANK YOU to David Hazell! I will be listening to it as soon as I get a few minutes along with the other one I purchased. My children were really hard to get to bed tonight because they were so thrilled at Daddy spending so much time with them and their science project. I feel so truly blessed!

Oh...and I almost forgot - my dd read a story tonight fervently after that and was so proud to have read so well! And - even though I'm feeling better - dh still volunteered to and did the dishes!!!! You know - it's the little stuff that can make life so sweet!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

far above rubies

Re: I ordered a few of MFW CD's by David Hazell...so glad!

Unread post by far above rubies » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Aren't those CD's great? I was so glad that I ordered them and they were the catalyst of my returning to MFW. I needed to hear them to finally "get it." I really wish I'd had the CD's before we tried MFW K the first time. I would've understood it so much more.
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

Mallorie

Unread post by Mallorie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:17 am

Thanks for sharing this. It prompted me to check youtube to see if he had anything there, as a sample, and he does. I think this is what I needed to renew my hs'ing momentum this year, and change my focus. I may end up ordering some cd's too.

Huge help, thanks again. :)

Mallorie

Unread post by Mallorie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Yeah, I didn't think linking would be appropriate, so I left those out. But I needed to say thanks~it was just the motivator I needed at this time, and to share with others who don't feel able to spend more money. Ok, not to mean that they aren't worth it, or that they are too expensive because they're not, but I have a propensity to nickel and dime myself to death and would have foregone the purchase, even though they helped me today, kwim?

I appreciate the other links, Crystal and will check them out. I, personally, think it would be WONDERFUL for them to include one CD with their packages, with a bent on how to use this program to it's fullest, and a bigger picture of what homeschooling is about. If I would have been more on the ball, I would have ordered the CD's from the get-go. I just didn't understand what they were about (or that I would need them at this point) and considered them "extra". For people like me, having one included would have been awesome.
cbollin wrote:I remember one year for a little while they were doing that. :)
-crystal

Mallorie

Unread post by Mallorie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:45 pm

Ok, thanks to [the YouTube] link I am now considering myself a "schizophrenic homeschooler". LOL

J/K....I needed to hear what he had to say. I've been interrupted, but looking forward to listening to the rest of that seminar tonite. :D

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:32 pm

I also bought one on 21st century christian's homeschooling their children...it was great too! I am so glad I got these and I will try to buy another one next time I order! And I feel just like faraboverubies:
far above rubies wrote:Aren't those CD's great? I was so glad that I ordered them and they were the catalyst of my returning to MFW. I needed to hear them to finally "get it." I really wish I'd had the CD's before we tried MFW K the first time. I would've understood it so much more.

I wish I would've ordered at least one of them sooner!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

momxnine

MFW talks on YouTube

Unread post by momxnine » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:36 pm

I just found out that there are several convention talks by David Hazell on Youtube! I'm listening to one called "Help! My Homeschool is Chaos!" It is funny, helpful and encouraging. I'm thrilled to have found it! Here's the link (if it will show up). I hope it's as encouraging to others as it is for me. If you search for Pt. 1 Help! My Homeschool is Chaos!-David Hazell that should get you started.
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

Stephc

Re: MFW talks on YouTube

Unread post by Stephc » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:25 pm

I am loving these! Thanks so much for posting. They are making me laugh and nod in agreement. I have been SO discouraged for so long in our homeschool. I deeply feel that God would have us homeschool, but I also feel completely run over by all the "issues" in our home (dyslexia, Asperger's, toddlers, high school, ugh!). I may have to listen to these over and over and let them really sink in
Stephanie
Wife to my hero
Mom to our 7
DD14, DD11, DS10, DS8, DD5, DD3, DD19 months
Using Kindy and AHL

homespun

21st Century Christians

Unread post by homespun » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:46 am

I recieved David Hazels CD "What Should 21st Century Christians be Teaching Their Children" recently. I have been listening to it over and over.

This year has been hard for me. The dc are smart. They know a whole lot about history and science due in part to listening to history and Jonathon Park CDs over and over. But the basic English, Writing, Math, is so hard for them. We have been doing vision therapy. Ds seems to be reading better. His eyes move smoother along the lines. Dd doesnt have as many headaches. But copywork and the rules of punctuation, capitalization etc, spelling, math seems so hard for us.

This CD helps me put things more into perspective in light of what is really important to learn; things like Bible, character, core values, and service. We need to teach kingdom principles for time, money, and responsibility. Im going to spend more time teaching them practical things like cooking, sewing, cleaning, etc.

Thanks for listening to me as I think this through aloud. :~
jasntas wrote:I don't have any advice but I wanted to say that I totally understand. Both my dc are dyslexic and reading, writing, spelling and even math are difficult around here. But my dh always reminds me that our ultimate goal is to have children who love and serve our God above. We do our best to teach them and leave the rest up to Him! That's not easy, I know!
Thanks all. I appreciate your thoughts and encouragement.
MFW user since 2006 beginning in K. Doing ECC synergy group this year for our second time with ECC.
dd grade 8, ds grade 6

my3sons

Homeschooling is not enough

Unread post by my3sons » Mon May 20, 2013 12:02 pm

I listened to this talk by Paige Timer over the weekend. Wow!!! Just wanted to share how blessed I was by this talk. I am so guilty of not tuning into my kids and know God has been speaking to me about this. This talk was the kick I needed to start TODAY about being more intentional about turning my heart toward my kids. Thank you to Paige for sharing your heart. Point taken!
kw4blessings wrote:This is a major area in my life that the Father has been working on lately. I would love to know where I can get a copy of this talk!
Forgive me if it is not okay to post this- http://rhino-technologies.com/index.php ... &Itemid=55

$3 to download
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

MFW-Lucy

Convention Workshop description

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 am

jasntas wrote:My local hs convention is coming soon and the workshops have been announced. There are names and descriptions for all of the workshops except the exhibitor workshops.

I am interested in MFW's 'You CAN Homeschool High School' but I would like to know more about what it entails. Does anyone know where I might find a description? TIA
Hi Tammie,

This workshop will walk you through what MFW offers students during the high school years as well as touch on understanding credits, dual credits and transcripts while encouraging you that this is doable for you to do at home. Here is the official description:

Title: You Can Homeschool High School!
Description: Studies indicate that homeschooled high-schoolers are more likely to remain committed to Christ than those who attend public school. My Father’s World high school curriculum integrates Bible, history and English, allowing your student to develop a strong Biblical worldview using easy to follow self-directed lesson plans for all subjects. Students read through the entire Bible, apply Biblical analysis when reading classical literature, develop strong composition skills and nurture a heart to serve others. Look forward to homeschooling your student through high school and make Christ a central focus during these crucial growing years.

If you have further questions, please let me know:)
Lucy

jasntas

Re: MFW at Convention - Workshop description?

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Thank you Lucy!! That is exactly what I wanted to know.

My son will begin 7th this fall but I'm trying to prepare myself for what he and I will need when he gets to high school. :~ :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.