Compare MFW to literature-based programs?

Blessed

Re: Starting RtR in January and have butterflies

Unread post by Blessed » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:25 pm

mgardenh wrote:I switched from Sonlight to MFW. I would say enjoy the change. Don't try to make MFW like sonlight. Keep telling yourself this is not SL. Also at first it may not seem as rigorous and you will be tempted to supplement. Please don't. Give it a chance or you will find out that you're back in the same place. MFW is just as strong academically just different. It will take you a while to get used to that. I hope you have a blessed time with MFW! We love it!
Yes! Yes! and Yes! to all three of those items I bolded. I WILL enjoy the change. I will NOT try to make it like SL. I WILL give it a chance :-)
Annie
Mom to two, dd(10) and ds(8)
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
SL Cores C,1 & partial 2 used 2007-2009
Come Sit by Me used 2005-2006
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

my3boys

Re: Starting RtR in January and need advice on de-Sonlightin

Unread post by my3boys » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:15 am

Blessed wrote:I've just spent some time reading past posts and have found them extremely helpful. I'm just going to take a leap of faith next Monday and do the MFW schedule as scheduled :~ I really feel that this is where God is leading our family, I now need to trust and take that step of obedience in faith :) "Lean not on my own understanding, ...." :-)

Blessings :-)
Hi Annie,
I think you will find MFW refreshing as well. It is very much more Charlotte Mason style and that is what I have enjoyed the most - short lessons in a large variety of subjects (including art and music), narration and notebooking, nature study, children having free time to read and pursue their interests. We made the switch last year and after a year and a half I have added back in a few elements that I enjoyed - mostly extra books - but it is in my experience SO much easier to supplement with extra reading material (and most of ours comes from the library) than it is to reinvent the wheel by adding hands-on activities and 'electives'. I have not been able to combine my children yet with either curriculum as I have 2 first graders and fifth grader, but we do do Bible and read-alouds together. My fifth grader reads all the material (even 'Streams..' and advanced readings) to himself.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

Blessed

Re: Starting RtR in January and need advice

Unread post by Blessed » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:51 am

Thanks for responding :-) I've been thinking about you and how you are all doing.

I think what I've missed the most was the CM style ..... we used to do that ..... I thought it would be EASY to add and schedule the hands-on if all the books were already there, but in reality that was NOT the case. I end up with too much and then trying to scale it back and feeling then like we were behind in hands-on and reading and and and ....... you get the picture.

Like you I don't want to reinvent the wheel. And it's easier to add-in extra books ala carte via book basket than the other way around. I will still be ordering readers and other books ...... we LOVE books. Combining the kids just WASN't/ISN't working......too fast for one, too slow for the other :~ And the kids LOVE learning together.....they and I do not wish to split them up yet. They are still young in so many ways :)

MFW seems to fit the bill better for us .....unit study with ADV readings for dd....and I can add all those extra books that she's ready for into book basket and reading time, and have others for ds.

Here I go again.....rambling. Anyway, we are ALL looking forward to having our nature walks again and doing art & music again, and science again......all of which were getting pushed aside. And slowly but surely I was beginning to not enjoy our journey. I began to wonder and ask what was it that seemed to be zapping the joy we all had learning together and living together? We were all missing the 'living' part and became to focused on the doing/academic.....I was watching ds each year lose a little spark and I did NOT want that to happen. That was never the plan.....so I began to pray ALOT.

More than 4 times God placed MFW before me, only I did not recognize it....this time I'm trusting that this was NO ACCIDENT. I need to jump in......I've got nothing to lose and EVERYTHING to gain. If this is Him leading it WILL work out.

Sorry for the book. It's just been bottled up for so long, and so much has been revealed as to what was lacking and what needs to change. It is very humbling, but I feel confident that this is the right move and that He will take the wrong and make it right. All that to say that I think MFW will be a much better fit for us at this time. MFW will be our base curriculum + SL books :-)

The kids are already enjoying the art, music and language arts. They're excited for next week.
Annie
Mom to two, dd(10) and ds(8)
New to MFW, RtR Jan 2010
SL Cores C,1 & partial 2 used 2007-2009
Come Sit by Me used 2005-2006
BFIAR & FIAR used 2004

my3boys

My Father's World and/or SL

Unread post by my3boys » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:01 pm

hppymom25 wrote:Hello. I'm Amy, mother of 5 children, ages 11 (ds), 8 (ds), 6 (dd), 3 (ds) and 3 months (dd). I am thinking of trying MFW for the upcoming schoolyear. I would be keeping my oldest two boys in ECC for next year if we go with MFW and our daughter, who's just turned 6 will be in first grade next year. For me, this will be a scary step, using something else for next year.

It's not that our program is not working for us, it's more that MFW is sounding really interesting, too. My worry is that MFW will end up being similar to TOG which I started using one year. I was using the library for most of my books and had lots of trouble getting books in time, etc. Also, I found some of the activity ideas very consuming and I really don't like to spend that much time planning and gathering supplies that are needed, etc. With 5 kids, I just feel that any curriculum that will just allow me to teach and not plan, is the way to go.

I am hoping to hear from those of you who have possibly switched so that I can get a feel for what the main difference are. I know that MFW is more hands on and although that's one of the things that intrigues me, it also makes me worry. I don't want to be consumed with activities to the point that I don't have time to do the many other things life brings with 5 children. The MFW language arts is another thing I'm not sure about.......I'm sure this is because I'm so used to the way that our current LA works. Each of my boys has a binder and knows exactly what to do each day and they're used to the extra but optional workbooks suggested. The writing is also pre-planned each week.

I guess that my main worry is that I'll do MFW and if we don't like it, I will have spent an entire year and $$$ on something that didn't work. Don't mean to sound negative. I'm actually really liking what I've been reading about MFW but am nervous about the "change".

I guess it's just a matter of "taking the plunge", so to speak. I'm feeling really driven to explore MFW and possibly use it next year. I just feel like for one year, I should try it and just see how it works for us. I would probably stick with SL LA, at least for next year and then if all goes well with MFW, think of switching to MFW suggestions for the following year. I really don't know why it's so hard for me to just do a different curriculum for one year but it is.

Any words of wisdom from other MFW users would be so much appreciated!
Amy
I have used each exclusively, and I am now combining the two. With MFW everything is scheduled out very simply for you - notebooking, easy activities, history, art and music, bible, science, and spaces for you to pencil in the LA and math and anything else. You will have to add LA, math, and extra reading material. My library is not very good either, so I am buying some read-alouds. I am using SL for LA with their reader packages. My oldest is also using SL for extra science (mixed in with some of the mfw science). I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if you have any.
Alison
Mom to 3 busy boys ages 11, 8, and 6
finished K, First, ECC, and CtG - currently using RtR

momtogc

Re: My Father's World and/or SL

Unread post by momtogc » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi Amy,
Welcome! We used SL briefly before switching (back) to MFW but not long enough to offer you a really good comparison. I will share a couple of thoughts with you though.

SL initially appealed to me because of the literature but ultimately I found it to be too cumbersome *for us*. My dd didn't care for some of the books, and this from a child who has a book or magazine in hand constantly. My dd has loved the great activities in MFW. Most of them have been simple and they have helped solidify the lessons for her and/or added the flavor of fun that helped her enjoy learning that much more.

We don't do every MFW activity and some weeks we do none, especially if it involves cooking with foods that dd is allergic to. On those weeks we might read a little more or have some extra time on our hands. I haven’t found the activities to be too burdensome at all. I also hate gathering supplies and I am not crafty, but MFW makes it real easy with a list at the beginning of each week. Sometimes I forget to look at the list and the day before the activity I panic but then I realize I have most of what I need on hand anyway. So it just hasn't been a problem for us.

Would you be teaching three different cores? If so, then by comparison with MFW, you would probably have the 11yo and the 8yo both in the same study, which should help with the time factor. This would simplify things for you and the kids can work on activities together. You would need to teach some things on their level such as math and LA.

MFW gives the option of using the library for books to help cut costs but since you are already used to purchasing new books you might want to continue doing that. It’s not necessary to buy or borrow every title listed in the Teacher’s Manual. You can pick the ones you want.

I hope this gives you a little bit of an idea about MFW. I wish you the best in making your decision. :)

Postby momtogc » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm
I thought of something else that might be of interest to you, or you may already know this. With other programs, you have to look at several different IG pages (one for History, one for LA, etc...) With MFW, everything is on one page, on one grid. I have found this to be so easy to use; no flipping pages. I'm not sure if details like this will matter to you? but I did want to share that in case.
Last edited by momtogc on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:21 pm

hppymom25 wrote:Thanks so much for replying......looks like there's lots of support here, which is another plus to using MFW.
Amy :-)
This board IS a great place. Everyone here is always so helpful. I think the curriculum is awesome and I believe it shows though the people who use it. And that's what makes it so easy to talk about and share. :)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Sun May 02, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi! We used SL for a few years (PK-Core 3), and even tried TOG (like you) just before going with MFW. TOG was nightmarish, I thought, as far as prep work. MFW is very similar to SL in prep work. There is not much to do. I love that there is just one TM, and the crafts, etc., are so simple! You just need to check your TM before you go on your usual errands and see if you need anything from WalMart or somewhere.

Welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions!
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

mgardenh

MFW & SL

Unread post by mgardenh » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:06 pm

NicoleJ wrote:I was wondering if any of you have done SL before, and how did you find it in comparison to MFW? I have three DD's - 7, 4 and 2. I have tried WP, and dabbled in HOD, and have just started some SL, and now I am wondering about MFW! Forever researching curriculums! Anyway, thankyou for your advice! Nicole
Hello,
I pray that God will help you make the best decision for your family. I am a former SL user.

Sl is a great program with very strong academics. We used it for almost two years did k and first. I had some concerns using it. These things may be fine for you. You and your husband will need to decide together. I hope God leads you to the best curriculum for your family.

I had two main concerns (with some side ones I'll mention). The first ones was I really enjoyed reading to my children and I thought that part was great. The problem was the books. They were very good books. I thought the content was way to much for my dd. I thought the books should have been read to here 2 to 3 years down the road. I had concerns about teaching about other beliefs and covering those topics so early on. Not that they should not be covered just that I thought it was to early. The side part of it was it felt like all we did was read. There was not much else. While reading is great I felt like there should be other things that help cement the ideas (not just talk about it). THere was little hands on except in science. My dd would come up with stuff mostly just pretend to be what we were talking about (be a red blood cell, I would be white and run around the house to different parts of the body). I could not depend on my dd comming up with stuff to do to help it sink in. I am not creative and do not come up with stuff on my own. I wanted something that would help with this and Sl did not really.

The other main concern was doing two full programs when my second would start school. I would be reading all day. I know sl says you can combine but my dd's are 3 1/2 years apart. At the time SL didn't recommend combing kids that far apart. I don't know what they say now. Even if I did combine the same concern I had with the above one would be double or triple for my youngest.

I loved the theory behind sl but practically when we started doing it. It did not make sense or work well for us.

MFW is great because you get a great solid foundation of the Bible before going into the topics of other religions and they do it gently increasing over time. They use a lot of the same books but 2 to 3 years later. Also the hands on part was great because I did not have to come up with stuff all I needed was right in the TM listed for me.

MFW philosophy of educations or theory not only sounds great but works practically for our family and appropriately. Sl was only good for our family in theory but not in practice.

MFW is not for everyone and neither is SL you just need to decide what is best for you family. May God bless you in your decision.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

momtogc

Re: MFW & SL

Unread post by momtogc » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 pm

mgardenh wrote:I loved the theory behind sl but practically when we started doing it. It did not make sense or work well for us.
Hi Nicole,

We tried SL briefly. I choose it because it is a Christian curriculum and because we love reading. But ditto to the above; it just did not work for us and it did not make sense to me sometimes. I also was very uncomfortable reading about ancient gods and other beliefs at that point in my child's young life. I believe on one of his Workshop cd's David Hazell of MFW says that his children haven't even heard of Zeus or other gods until they are older. I prefer that approach and I have found that MFW's philosophy matches mine so much more closely so I feel totally comfortable using their material.

You said you wanted something easy to implement, fun, and for it not to take all day and that is exactly what you will find with MFW. You can include as much or as little reading as you desire. The Teacher's Manual makes it easy to teach. Bible is woven in and there is an emphasis on missions. And as you said, with SL, it's just reading - or at least that was "my" experience.

I know of other families who have been very happy with SL. They like the reading and prefer the style of teaching that SL offers. I've known of families using it for years with success so you might like it. I just know that our family does better with MFW. We have used MFW-1st grade, Adventures in MFW, and now we are on week 2 of Exploring Countries and Cultures. We love it.

At the end of last year, my daughter was finishing Adventures and she cried and cried. She did not want school to be over because she enjoyed the year so much. We only took off about six weeks for summer and started school again because she loves learning and MFW has made it so enjoyable. She has learned so much and it shows in her vocabulary and knowledge base. For three years I switched around trying different curriculum but now, unless some circumstance prevents it, we will stick with MFW.

I hope this helps give you some idea of what MFW is like. :)

Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm

NicoleJ wrote:The main reasons why I have switched around so much, really, if just to find something that fits our family beliefs and my children. We are in Western Australia, so the American history programs out there aren't for us.

I have just finished reading an awesome book on education (true education!) and it has inspired me to go back to looking for truly Bible based curriculums (i.e. Bible woven through the curriculum rather than tacked onto the end of it - or almost non existent!) and also one that upholds the same beliefs as we have and have the same standards as we have with regards to literature and exposure to unGodly themes at young ages. I also would like a curriculum that is not so Americo-centric as some can be, and I would love it to have a mission focus as we will be doing mission work at some stage in the near future. I also want something that is EASY for me to implement, and something that is FUN and something that is NOT going to take all day.
In my opinion, that describes MFW very well. Since you don't need/want the American History program, you could skip ADV and start ECC. It works for a 2nd grader, which is what I'm guessing fits your oldest. The middle would love to sit in for most things and would enjoy doing MFWK on her own. ECC is heavy on the missions focus and is a wonderful year of learning about people and places all around the world. I suggest calling the MFW office to ask about using their curriculum to fit your situation - they are very helpful and not at all "pushy" about trying to talk you into something.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:45 pm

I agree with Cyndi, ADV could easily be skipped.

The Hazell family (the creators of MFW) were missionaries and their materials are mission minded.

I read on this board one time of a family that loved MFW because they were Bible based and did not promote a denomination or specific doctrine. Just the Bible. In my experience with K and ADV, I have found that to be true.

The Bible is also weaved throughout the materials. For instance, when learning the names of Jesus in ADV, you learn about and bake bread for science. And you are encouraged to bake a loaf for a neighbor or shut in. (I know you're not interested in ADV but that's my experience. :) K was also like this. I just can't seem to think of a specific at the moment. :~ )

I don't know of another curriculum out there that is as educational, Bible based and, best of all, fun. And not extremely time consuming. Just one humble opinion.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Nicole,
Be aware that answers on this board will favor MFW. Although I would expect they won't be too critical of anyone else, either. But have you seen this big list of comparison threads:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4098

As the others have so beautifully explained, MFW may fit every one of your goals perfectly! It surely has been a blessing to our family to include our faith in every day of school, to learn and care about the whole world, and to read the actual Bible alongside materials about other cultures.

Here is a thread that might be helpful. It has David Hazell's suggestion for a non-USA family doing ECC for a little longer with little ones:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 480#p45076

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:36 am

Hi Nicole,
My children are close in age to yours, and I too was searching one curriculum and then another, tried different phonics programs, etc. So I thought I would share my story that stopped my search at last.

I prayed. Last January I put every curriculum idea I had ever had and researched (I started the research when my oldest was about 3) out in front of me, and asked God for help. It was all I could do. I had not used MFW at all at that point but happened to have picked up a catalogue at a convention. There were about 10+ choices that I gave up to God.

Well over the following few weeks He did graciously answer my prayer. I am now using MFW and my search is over! I am also supplementing with some SL books and SL science, and some A Beka Bible we happen to love (for fun), and some Lamplighter books (for fun); but MFW is the focus of our curriculum and the plan our school days revolved around prior to our current summer break.

I have had so much peace about the choice God led me too. It is exactly what my ds6, just turned 7 this week, needed. School took far less time, and he has been retaining and learning so much more!

We are a conservative Christian family too. Since our oldest was 1 or 2 we have thought of our children's relationship with Jesus Christ as the bull's eye on a dart board, and the most important gift we could ever give to them or share with them. Everything else seemed to be an extension of that goal. We kept thinking if we don't get the eternal portion right with them nothing else will matter. Yes, I know the decision is ultimately their own between them and God. We do see it though as our responsibility to do our best in sharing our faith with them.

I had no idea how much peace MFW would bring to our homeschooling. It allows us to focus entirely on our goals. It goes through the 'entire' Bible, every word, in high school. It seems like such a gift to give my kids. Further it asks the kids to start serving as part of their curriculum in high school. Learning their faith, and living it out through service, as part of their growing up and character development seems incredible to me. I wish I had been given such opportunities!

So as an earlier mom said you will receive answers that support MFW. [We tried other programs that went] through portions of the Bible, but I wanted more. I wanted scripture at the center and everything else revovling around it. So far MFW is allowing us to keep our priorities and goals at the center. I also see it as giving our kids a great academic education, while keeping God & the Bible at the center.

I pray that God will lead you to the 'best' curriculum for your family and your goals, as He has done for us.

Blessings.

NicoleJ

Unread post by NicoleJ » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:08 am

Thankyou so much everyone for your encouraging, and honest, opinions! I am seriously going to consider MFW over these next few days and pray about it, and see where God leads me. I am going to read a few more posts, and do some deciding! Thanks! Nicole

RB

Unread post by RB » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 am

Nicole,
I can really relate to your searching. We switched pretty much for the same reasons as Mike stated above (topics too soon, couldn't combine everyone, not much hands-on). We dabbled in WP for a few months but that wasn't quite right either.

We then found MFW and had a great year with Adventures with a 1st grader and 2nd grader. Loved the books, the projects, everything!!!! We did MFW ECC and really liked it, especially how it opened our eyes to the world beyond the U.S. and gave us a desire to live our lives for God.

We decided to wait a year to do Ancients to be lined up with our co-op. Also, I was struggling a little with the wider age range, and thought perhaps we wanted to do two separate programs (one for my girls, one for my son).
We really missed MFW. We missed the family cycle, the way bible is woven into MFW, and the book basket lists. By the end of the year I was really recreating our programs to be like MFW, but it was so much work and I couldn't do it nearly as well as Marie, of course.

So we are back to MFW, Lord willing straight through High school!!! The grass really is the greenest for our family right here :)
Praying that the Lord will guide your steps as you seek the curriculum that will be a true blessing for your family.
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

wisdomschool

Unread post by wisdomschool » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Hi Nicole,

I just wanted to share that we started using MFW for my oldest kindergarten(though we had to wait until December of that year to have the money, and he had turned 6 that October). I had been researching curriculum for several years prior and when I stumbled onto MFW I knew right away it was for us! I've always said it is the closest thing I have found to what I would write myself, if I were to write curriculum that is(I would of tried to change anything else too much to meet our families needs/values).

Even though I knew I "wanted" to use MFW, my sister-in-law offered me her preschool and Kindergarten, it was such a hard decision for me, but I had to go with "free" at the time.....it was not a good fit for me or my children, and The Lord Provided the money for us to buy MFW A-Z in December of that year, and we are now finishing up our third time/third child through MFW A-Z "K" Program.....

We also are very conservative and I would have wanted to screen any and everything I would read to my children and that they would read to themselves--with MFW I am not at all concerned with any of their recommendations--I feel like they have prescreened everything for "me", and I so very thankful that I can trust them!!!

We have used MFW A-Z(3 times), 1st(2 times and will be using parts of it again this year), Adventures(1 time) and we are about to begin ECC. Unless The Lord gives us some currently unknown different direction we are with MFW all the way through!

I am sure The Lord has a perfect fit for your family, and I'm sure you'll find it--be it MFW or not, but hopefully you are encouraged by reading the many testimonies of The Lord bringing people to MFW to know that it is a wonderful curriculum.

Blessings to you,
Debbie
Momma & Teacher to my super seven:

Kanen-6th
Abia-4th
Charis-3rd
Tobias-1st
Elijah-3 y.o.
Micah-2 y.o.
Eden-3 mo.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:31 pm

RB wrote:Nicole,
I can really relate to your searching. We did SL for 2 years and switched pretty much for the same reasons as Mike stated above (false gods and other topics too soon, couldn't combine everyone, not much hands-on).
Hi again Nicole,

I wanted to add that in addition to God leading me to MFW, our other main reason for switching from SL was the reason mentioned above by R.B. and Mike prior on the thread. We found Core K opening up the door to topics such as war, Nazi's, slavery, etc. and thought it was too soon. Some of the books I had to skip after the first few pages. I ended up leaving about 25% of Core K out. We saw Core 1 was heading to greek mythology and thought again that it would be too soon too young. We kept discussing the fact that we want to lay a Biblical foundation first.

MFW has been a true blessing to our homeschool adventure! We are still fairly new to it, but as long as the Lord is willing I don't have any plans to search any longer.

I do hope & pray that you find soon the best fit for you and your kids.

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 am

NicoleJ wrote:You all are just SO lovely! Some of the reason why I have looked so hard and so long at SO MANY CURRICULUMS is that here in Australia you don't get to look at anything before buying it, except for online samples, and the postage is so high from the US to here (eg. P4/5 from SL is easily $150 to post) so you don't want to make any mistakes when buying! I wish I could 'see' MFW before buying!
NIcole,
MFW has a "Returns accepted within 30 days, with invoice, if in unused, resalable condition. No return on CD's" Found this in their catalog. I realize it would be expensive but you could e-mail the MFW office or call and ask. I know they would be glad to help answer any questions you have. I believe that there is another person on the board that lives in Australia and uses mfw (not 100% sure about that) but maybe if they are close to you you could see their curriculum. Again just grasping a straws here to help you out!
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

my3sons

set to use something else, now thinking about Adventures

Unread post by my3sons » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:35 pm

mikesherry wrote:We started it and have done 3 weeks and I'm not sure the kids are remembering much. It seems we are trying to get through each thing to read quickly before the baby needs me. We are not reading like all the pictures in the catalog.

I keep changing curriculum and I want to stop wasting so much time! We previously tried Story of the World and their activity guide but my kids weren't retaining much and there was SOO much about other Gods. I have used MFW in the past, 2 years ago we did K and 1. I now have a 3rd grader, a 2nd grader and a 4 year old and a 1 year old and am pregnant with our 5th!

I guess I could try and resell and try out Adventures, I just don't want to be wishy washy. I will be reading the responses and praying.
Sherry
Welcome! I switched 2 years ago and have not regretted it at all. Like you, I did not think my kids were retaining the information- I felt like I was teaching to a brick wall. I loved the idea, but it just did not work for us.

Our first year we did adventures with my then 2nd grader and 1st with his little brother. For our family, MFW delivers what others promised. It is just the right mix of hands on activities with book learning and my boys have LOVED it. I understand not wanting to jump around, but it I'd important to find the right fit for both you and your kids. GL with your decision!
Mom to all boys, ages 15, 13, 11, 5 and 1

2014-2015 - ECC
Previously completed K - 1850 to Modern Times

schoolmom2

Re: set to use something else, now thinking about MFW

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:30 am

My advice would be: resell and buy whatever you have to! It is not worth the agony of not enjoying the journey! =)

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:07 am

Hi & Welcome!

I switched this past Winter. We love MFW! It has been exactly what my kids and I needed to enjoy our homeschooling adventure. MFW still encourages read-alouds, which is what I liked, and then adds in all the other things my kids & I were needing for learning and fun.

My kids are learning a Lot, and I don't see myself switching again! The Bible at the center of the MFW curriculum is fabulous! :-)

rxmom

Unread post by rxmom » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:39 am

Hi and Welcome,
I have used both MFW 1st grade and Adventures which my kids LOVED!

I know there are links on this board to discussions/comparisons from folks who have used both programs....We are blessed to have so much great curriculum out there but it does make decisions tough...Keep praying and seeking God's wisdom. One thing that helped me when I was trying to decide was to have my husband look over both programs and give me his opinion (maybe this is a "duh" because our husbands should be involved in these decisions...sorry). I think with MFW you get:

1. A biblical worldview/solid foundation in God's Word. It is TRULY integrated with the program not added on.
2. Well rounded, strong academics and lots of fun "hands-on" learning...that you can actually complete.
3. Fun for kids, Fun for Mom

Blessing to you...
Delcey
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:48 am

I have used a lot of things throughout my homeschool journey. It is much easier when you use something you and the children love. Adventures was so much fun. 1st was really great, too. And dd(5) and I are looking forward to K as that looks like it is going to be wonderful as well. You have a lot of great choices with MFW. Take some time to pray, read some of the posts in the archives, and talk to someone from the MFW office if you decide you want to go with MFW. They can help place your children in the right program.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:47 am

Just chiming in here. We switched to MFW and our first year was Adventures. I think you will be very pleased with the differences and the balance of Bible as the spine while still doing living books and enjoying reading but not over loading with other gods and too much reading. Just my experience.

Adventures is a wonderful program. There are some books from Core 1 scheduled in ADV. Mountain Born is one of the read alouds. You can compare the books individually by looking at http://www.mfwbooks.com/adventures_my_fathers_world.htm. Mountain Born is read while you are learning about the names of Jesus, specifically Jesus as the Good Shepherd. Other books from Core 1 would be considered extra reading for pleasure such as the Homer Price, Charlotte's Web etc. Books like that are included in the back of the TM under Recommended General Reading. You will have lots of books for your child to read in book basket and during general reading time, but those you can get from the library instead of having to buy like with SL.

MFW seems more cohesive to me and the TM is waaaaay more user friendly. You also are buying your science with the package rather than having to purchase it separately as SL does. You can look at samples of ADV TM at http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/advsample.pdf. After you scroll through the introduction pages you will see on the sample pdf page 9-12 a weekly grid and teachers notes. Each week is laid out the same with a grid first and then teachers notes for that week. The grid has spots for EVERY subject needed to be taught.

HTH
Edie

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:05 am

Hi Sherry! I remember you! :)

If you're looking for our permission to huck what you're doing and change, then Huck what you're doing and change! ;)

Your 3rd and 2nd graders would *love* ADV. And it was my most very favorite year to teach. It is simple, well-laid out and fun. My dd learned so much that year - she still loves to act out wrapping johnny cakes up in a napkin and going off to fight the British. :) She obviously doesn't have a good concept of how bloody that was, because MFW protects little ones from that, but she knows the story of the U.S. There are so many good stories to read without it being overwhelming and the states study is perfect for that age to learn about their country.

Of course you need to pray and ask your dh about it, but I would not hesitate to switch - especially this early in. My humble (biased) opinion.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL