Compare MFW to textbook approach & Happy with the switch

Joyhomeschool

Re: How do I break away from the textbook?

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Every year about mid year I stop and rethink what we are doing... especially in LA. Here is why, because mid year is the hump of the school year. You get the blues and worn out.. What I have learned over time is that David and Marie are really smart. (lol) They know what they are talking about. PLL and ILL work! They work well! They DO NOT look like traditional curriculum that we are used to in Public School, and they dont work for all learning types. On the other hand, Abeka works, and works well! Your right though, you dont need Abeka complete LA. You just need portions of it to accomplish what your child needs. Does your DC need the reader portion? Are they struggling with reading and need the extra instruction? Handwriting, are you teaching cursive for the first time or do they struggle with neatness? Phonics (if your doing the phonics workbook) do they need that? I would evaluate what your DC needs and eliminate accordingly.I do that all the time. Someitmes we set somethign aside for awhile and then bring it back in later. Sometimes we do quarter or half of a lesson.. You have to do what is best for your teaching style and your DC learning style and go from there.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

scampbell2003

Re: How do I break away from the textbook?

Unread post by scampbell2003 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 am

Thanks everyone for the help. I can't spend anymore on this year but will be trying to keep it simple for my own sanity. Next yr I have to homeschool 2 kids and I am starting to freak out a bit. DD is a good at guessing and making the story sound like she read it correctly. She usually just get some words wrong in reader but overall good reader for her age. She will be 8 in May and is second grade so I am not trying to push her a bunch. Her younger brother is 5 will be 6 in May and he is just now getting ready for K.

Anyway back to DD yesterday she read a poem out of Abeka and then I read it to her to give her example of expression. Then she recited it back to me word for word. So I think she learns best by hearing and reading. Only thing is I don't know what that means. lol! She struggles with Math more than LA. She memorizes her spelling list right away and we did start cursive this year just because her print was driving me crazy. As you can tell God wants me to homeschool so I change. Her cursive is very nice but could use some practice. I have liked learning all the rules abeka teaches for the LA and I think my DD does. We do not like all the time placed on writing. Maybe I should chuck out the seatwork since that seems to be eating up a lot of our time. I have been so worried about not doing things right and getting everything completed that I wanna through the towel in. It's so unfair to my DD.

Having our 3rd baby just a yr ago has really been a hard adjustment but we all sure do love him:-) He is into everything though and I have to put him in the pack and play or highchair during school just to keep him safe. He was crawling, trying to climb, and pulling himself up at 5 1/2 months lol! That was at 5months now he is just over 1 and taking the back off of the remote or trying to open the front door. Did I mention we have yet to sleep through the night. Okay sorry bout the baby rant. I am blessed and love my family. So lucky my husband is the greatest and supports homeschooling and me being home with the kiddos.
Samantha Wife to Matt 8yrs
Momma to:
Madison 7 MFW Adv
Colin 5 Half day PREK
Logan 1 Super Busy Toddler
This is our 1st yr with MFW and I am so excited!

gratitude

Am I crazy? Lol

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:49 am

Ohmomjacquie wrote:Here's the story.this is our second year homeschooling.my oldest is in second grade. we used a variety of things last year. found bju and are enjoying their program this year. My husband lost his job recently and this has me looking for a less expensive option with a strong christian basis. then I saw mfw and am really liking what I see. I looked at it before we started our homeschool journey but I don't think I got it. I've never been a work sheet fan and that its what bju uses a lot. I'm just nervous I guess because mfw is so different than what we have done do far! I like that I can keep my younger two together as well. they are 18 months apart.

A few questions for you all. for english is the primary language lessons that mfw recommend a good program? do I need to add anything else? She will be in third grade so would we be ok starting with the last half of the book? We do use a grammar/writing program with bju. for reading, we just pick books from the reading list or others that interest her? She will read for school but rarely for pleasure. Other than that I think I am nervous lol. I thought I had it all figured out and here I am feeling like my brain won't rest til I make a decision. thanks for any advice!
I read your post and looked up BJU out of curiosity. I had no idea that a textbook curriculum cost that much. Yes, MFW would cost less; even if you choose to do the foreign language that they suggest starting in 2nd grade.

As I am sure you already know there are many different approaches to running home education by home schoolers. Some use only textbooks, like BJU. Some home schoolers use only Charlotte Mason or only Classical or only unit studies or un-school their children. My Father's World focus, in my opinion, puts a focus on studying the Bible while also pursuing strong academics. Their focus is to help families turn their eyes to God, and to see the world through His eyes. They focus on service & prayers for the world. If you open one of their catalogs the first page in last years catalogue is an explanation of the 3 cycles through the Bible becoming more detailed each cycle. This is a very different approach to pure classical, which focuses on 3 sweeps through history or most textbook curriculums.

The learning style of MFW is reading, discussion, hands on activities, using the actual Bible as one of the books in the curriculum, note booking, time-lines, books from the library, reading aloud, having the student read to themselves, writing, vocabulary, spelling, foreign language, art, music, and the only work-sheets I can think of would be in math.

So a switch to MFW would be a switch in learning style. Do you want that for your home school?

The kids just woke up I will let someone else answer the PLL question. We use PLL and add R&S English for grammar to it. Many though use PLL by itself; our adding grammar is a personal choice.

Lastly, I love MFW for many many reasons. The main one though would be their heart for the Lord, the world, and missions that is a natural part of their curriculum. I also prefer this type of learning style; I don't think I could teach work sheets all day.

Blessings.

Ohmomjacquie

Re: Am I crazy? Lol

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:49 am

Thank you for the advice.like I said, I never was a fan of work sheets but have used them the pa st. I think mfw looks like a wonderful, fun, well rounded program.I want my kids to enjoy learning and face him with it.I don't think our current program is doing all of that.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:50 am

PLL -- I've like the books. covers a wide variety of language arts skills in short lessons. I'm not trying to embarrass you on a typo or anything... just wasn't sure if you were asking about the depth of the program, or if it was "christian". not trying to embarrass. everyone makes typos and auto fill errors and all of that.

If you aren't confident in teaching language arts, there is a teacher's edition for that book to help. MFW doesn't sell it, but I think Rainbow Resources does. Yes, you can start in the 3rd grade part. If you like a spelling program, that will need to be added. Some people don't start formal spelling until 4th grade and just use the dictation and copywork approach.

Have you considered calling the MFW office and talking in person on some of this? Sometimes a phone call can catch those little things that might be missed while talking on the internet. Their staff use some of this stuff and might be able to help. It's different from calling BJU - where it's just salesman. MFW staff are homeschooling parents and probably have some teaching experience from the MFW recommended products.

I think as you use the "book basket" ideas in MFW, you'll enjoy the books and the "take the pressure off" style of reading from them. no worksheets for reading.

Are you interested in a little bit of information in how MFW approaches "reading" and "reading comprehension" on this grade?

-crystal

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks crystal. I just have my phone so it liked to change words on me lol

More info on reading would be good from what I see it's more real books instead of readers and them reading what interests them which I like.

Calling them is a good point. although bju uses real moms as consultants so I have to disagree with you there. but thank you for the advice to call mfw. I'm really leaving toward doing this. the more I think and pray about it the more comfortable I feel with the decision.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:22 am

Nice to know that about BJU. When I"ve called and talk to them at conventions, those people haven't been homeschooling moms or dads that talked to me. I'm glad your experience was different. I haven't experienced that yet at all with them. Glad to know you experienced differently.

Yes,phones change lot of the words. sigh....

I'm hoping others will help you with the reading information. I wanted to link you to the online catalog and let you look. hmm.. can't seem to do the link today...

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:42 am

Here is the link Crystal was wanting to give to you.
https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/resources/catalog
I have just linked the catalogue; since I couldn't figure out how to do just one page. It is on page 34 towards the end. Just push 'view online' and then the word 'next' until it flips to page 34.

The only thing I can say about living books is that they have worked in our home. The only reader my oldest ever had was the Bible reader in MFW1 and he loves to read. He chooses to read, at age 8, about 2 - 2 1/2 hours a day on his own. He learns a lot through the books that he chooses to read. Neither of us even consider it part of 'school' time. So I don't know how it works for others, but it did work for us so far.

Blessings for your decision.

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 pm

We have used MFW for several years and really like it. I've tried various other curriculum here and there but always came back to MFW, and are here to stay. MFW is flexible, and rich plus it leads children's hearts toward the Lord. You will find it to be very different than an all-workbook approach but in a very positive way. I believe it will be less expensive as well.

PLL (and ILL for 4-6 grades) is not a "traditional" grammar book. As described on MFW's site, it is "A Charlotte Mason-style approach with short, easy-to-teach lessons cover English usage, composition, punctuation, poem memorization, oral language skills, letter writing, and dictation." You won't find repetitive (boring?) lessons over nouns and verbs and nouns and verbs as you might find with other grammar programs. I personally love this aspect of learning English usage and it has worked well for my daughter who is now in fifth grade. It's not necessary to add anything because the child will get plenty of exposure to grammar, reading, punctuation ancomprehensionon from dictation, the read alouds that you will do, notebooking, and copywork. (Also, just to let you know, when students are in 6/7 grade they will use All in One English and it covers the parts of speech.)

As for starting mid-book in PLL, I would definitely ask MFW's office about that to be sure. If you do start at the half-way point, you might go through the first half and see if there are any pages that you think would be beneficial for your child to do. jmho

I hope this helps. Best wishes in making your decision! :-)

Meleasa
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:47 pm

Thanks for the help! I think I like the pll style from what I've seen and I really think it will help my with her speech (expressive delay).because of her delay she has lower vocabulary so getting her thinking and telling will help I think.getting excited for next year! Glad to come here and get info and share my thoughts. dh gets bored with me constantly talking about it lol

Did look at the catalog (thanks for the link) and I love the book basket/independent reading! She may resist at first but I think over time it will reignite that love of reading we saw in k.

[Editor's Note: More to the story here --
After 1 month: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =50#p90205
After 1 year: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 872#p92872 ]
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:

gratitude

MFW K and reading???

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:52 pm

4littlehearts wrote:I have one more younger child to enter K this year and I am contemplating choosing MFW. In the past, with my other kids this early on, we have mostly used Abeka for phonics and reading, but by the time they had finished either 1st or 2nd grade (different with each child) and we felt that they had a good foundation for reading we moved on from Abeka. My other kids did very well using Abeka and even happen to be pretty good spellers (whether that is a result of Abeka, I do not know).

Being that this is my last kid to go through K, I would like to make her K experience more fun and memorable using MFW K, but am afraid to deviate from what has worked so well in the past for our phonics. I know that MFW K moves slower than Abeka. With that, I am okay. I just am just concerned that maybe the phonics part may not be as strong in MFW K as in Abeka and she may struggle in her reading because of it.

What draws me to MFW K is that the Bible is built right in and the crafts are already planned out. My dd loves crafts, unfortunately, crafts are not my cup of tea so it helps to have them all spelled out for me.

How has the phonics worked for your dc in the MFW K and MFW 1st grade program? Thanks!
I have really Loved MFW phonics, and it has worked well for us.

I just pulled this off of the MFW web-site and I thought it might be helpful for you to read:
There are many factors that go into the decision to pace First Grade as written. First and foremost, My Father's World First Grade assumes that a child has been sounding out short vowel words for nearly 9 months as scheduled in My Father's World Kindergarten. In K, a child begins sounding out their first words near the end of the 2nd month. Many people think that MFW K moves too slowly. We receive calls often from moms who want to find shortcuts to teaching short vowels so their child can start 1st Grade. We believe that in K it is better to provide a firm foundation so that they can move at a faster pace with confidence as they transition into 1st grade. Children enjoy new information and can grasp concepts quickly if they have had the K foundation. Expecting total mastery of a subject before moving on discourages a child and holds them back unnecessarily once they have that foundation.

One of the families we are friends with has their children in a private school using A Beka. Since both of our 4 children are very close in ages I have seen some of the school work the Kindergartener brings home. From what I can tell the A Beka K program does move faster than MFWK. BUT, MFW1 moves very quickly and puts them in the end at a late 2nd/3rd grade reading level. So even though MFW goes slowly for K, by the end of MFW1 the phonics has had the student cover a lot of ground. My oldest could easily read A Beka grade 2 readers, SL grade 2 readers, and grade 2 Pathway readers by the end of MFW1. ADV has them start reading the NIrV Bible, grade 3 reading level, and this too was easy for him after MFW1 phonics. I have been very pleased with the results and love MFW phonics. My second son has gone through MFWK and is now doing MFW1 and it is going very well. His reading is rapidly expanding.

You also asked about spelling. I did choose All About Spelling to help my oldest with spelling, and he now has very good spelling. My second, who did both MFWK and MFW1 (My oldest never had K) spells extremely well. Perhaps those slower 9 months of blending in MFWK laid a strong foundation for reading and spelling. I do feel like my second son's foundation in this area is stronger than my oldest; although the All About Spelling and continued 2nd grade phonics with R&S is quickly bringing it all together for my ds8 after skipping the foundation laid in MFWK.

So as I think all this through I think MFWK and MFW1 really do work well as a team for phonics. Then of course is the added beauty of teaching reading out of a Bible reader and doing the Bible note book, which is very special.

Blessings,

cbollin

Re: MFW K and reading???

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:25 am

4littlehearts wrote:How has the phonics worked for your dc in the MFW K and MFW 1st grade program? Thanks!
It worked great!
and my children always seemed ahead of the program.
if they knew it, I turned it into spelling and copywork.

Day 117 in 1st grade MFW has taught all phonics needed to be entering about "2nd grade level". I'm not familiar with Abeka's scope and sequence other than in Kindy Abeka does short and long long vowels. But MFW does just short. Long is introduced day 18 in 1st. I thought I'd mentioned the pace of MFW just to inform you that it is not a "weak" program. All of these phonics programs out there shift around scope and sequence a little bit. so dont' worry if your child only does short vowels in MFW K.

The new manuals have some ideas for expansion activities for "ahead of the curve" readers in Kindy. p. 197 is where that starts

I listed a whole different way and route on that...if you need to do more academics in phonics/spelling in Kindy
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 179#p47744

I know 2 people locally who switched from abeka to mfw for Kindy and other years and they really seemed happy for the switch with the youngest child.

If it is the Bible units and science you desire, go for it! The pace isn't that much different over 2 academic years. But from listening to my friends locally, you'd think they enjoy homeschooling again.

It's fun, not too painful... easy to do more handwriting instead of "blending"...

one thing that is in my mind on all of this.... It is always possible that this child could be a struggling reader no matter what program you use.
but MFW has a really good program.

If you do the blend ladders and all of that ... you get a great spelling foundation.

In MFW 1st - a lot of the spelling is so tied in, that you don't notice that you are teaching 2 things at once. right now the way the manual is set up, there isn't this "ok.. this is for encoding. this is for decoding" (spelling and reading). But after we teach how to read the phonogram, a few days later, we review it via spelling lessons at the top of the blue workbook.

then there are these little non phonics rules of spelling tucked into the "phonics script" in the first grade manual. So much of it reminds me of the same lessons in All About Spelling (and I like that program too). But those level 1 AAS rules are also listed in MFW 1st grade. I missed them the first time because I was in a rush to "finish the sheet". bad crystal...

((hugs)))

-crystal

4littlehearts

I actually pushed the button.... no turning back..

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:35 pm

I pushed the enter button on my order last night to MFW. I ordered MFW K. It's official. Now I am not only going to have a child using AHL, and 2 children in CTG, but I decided to have my youngest use MFW's K instead of my normal route K curriculum. My finger hovered over the enter button for a while, I took a deep breath, and just decided to step out on faith and try MFW K. Don't get me wrong. It was not an impulsive decision, I had been stewing over this decision in my mind for the past few weeks but could not settle. Part of me wanted a change and to do something "fun" with my very last child for K, but the practical side of me told me to just stick with what I already knew which was Abeka. The prideful homeschool mom in me thought, "Well what are people going to say if she is not as advanced in her reading as the other children her same age who happen to go to our church's cs and use Abeka. Maybe I should just stick with Abeka so that others will not think that she is behind." I have to fight against that thinking all of the time. I really like the way the Bible is incorporated in MFW as well as the crafts, which is great for this non-crafty homeschool mom. I want to relax and enjoy my very last one while teaching her spiritual truths on her level. I think MFW K will help me better in that endeavor. Just thought I'd share. Thanks to all of those who have answered my questions in the past about MFW K, CTG, and AHL.

gratitude

Re: I actually pushed the button.... no turning back..

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:09 am

I hope that it will richly bless both of you during your last trip through K.

I understand too. The cs school, many in our church use across the street from the church, uses A Beka. Sometimes I struggle to see their 'advanced' Kindergarteners. By 2nd grade though, so far, it has been the other way around.

Blessings,

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:16 am

Congratulations on taking the plunge by faith! I have a feeling you will be pleased.

I understand the turmoil and how the flesh wonders what others will think if a child is "behind." But all too often our idea of what is "advanced" and what is "behind" is usually just based on reading level, not necessarily understanding or what has been absorbed into those little minds. Remember that this is in all my VAST experience as a first-year homeschooler ;), but I feel that K should be a time for learning about the world God made, to build confidence and have fun... and to learn to love learning... not to master academics.

I am wrapping up K with my only child. MFWK is a rich program when done as written, especially if you add in all the literature that you can. And those Bible truths DO sink in! My little girl may not be able to read as well (yet) as her friend the almost exact same age who goes to a rigorous private Christian school (where she is just finishing up first grade despite just having turned 6 a couple of weeks ago)... but I don't feel that my daughter is lacking anything when compared to her friend. The other girl sighs when she talks about school and told me that her school work is "so hard." She already seems burned out, while my daughter absolutely adores school time and has especially loved the little crafts and projects. MFWK had lots of suggestions that I would not have thought of doing, and we did them and she loved it the whole time. I am not a crafty mom either, at least not in many of the normal schoolish ways, but my daughter enjoys crafts and K was a joy for her. My first year of homeschooling (and due to fertility issues, probably my ONLY time to do Kindergarten) was also a fun time for me and I am thankful God led me in this direction. I can hardly imagine a better kindergarten year for Gail, or me.

Anyway, enough rambling. :~ I actually just wanted to say that I am happy you have peace with your decision and I look forward to seeing your future posts. If you haven't already, be sure to check out the "Ideas: Kindergarten" section of the forum... some fun stuff and good book suggestions there. And keep you eyes open for items for each unit. It was great fun to find a book, stickers, game or puzzle that went with each unit, stick it in the file folder and bring each one out as a surprise at the appropriate time.

Relax and enjoy that little one!
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

weareborgswife

Unread post by weareborgswife » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:47 am

From all that I have studied kids who go to preschool and an academically advanced K program will be on the same level (for the most part) as far as reading etc by 2nd grade. This combined with the research done recently on how children's eyes develop - that to much reading early in life is not wise, as their eyes are not developmentally ready to "Track" in this way, I am happy with a more gentle approach.

I too just made the jump to switch curricula to MFW, we will be taking our time with K, because my daughter is turning 4 in May and ECC with my 2nd and 4th grader. Want to get started, but my friend has a lot of the "books" and she is going to share with us and she won't be done until mid summer probably.

Joining you in celebrating a new journey of learning!

4littlehearts

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:44 am

Thanks ladies for the encouragement! I am really excited to use this with my dd. I am sure my older dc,especially my 3rd grade dd will want to participate in some of the science and crafts as well. My older ds who loves Science is more excited about the butterfly garden and ant farm than my daughter that will be in K. Shawna, thanks for sharing your experience and excitement over the program with me. I am so glad that you had such a great experience your first year of homeschooling. I wish I would have done this kind of program with my older dc when they were young. Thanks to all of the others who have chimed in and have been an encouragement. I will look forward checking out the MFW K idea board. Have a great day!

forHisglory

Unread post by forHisglory » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:14 pm

I just wanted to say hi and let you know that you aren't alone. I too struggle with sinful pride and wanting my son to be advanced in his reading skills (which he is not). Actually today, I felt God saying that He didn't give me my children as an item to show off to others. They are His, yet we get to raise them. And we should instill what our Creator wants us to...that being Biblical truths and His love! So I just wanted you to know you aren't alone in that struggle. I often struggle, and it's ladies like you and others on here in out in the Christian homeschooling community that help me to realize it's not about me and what I want but what He wants! :-)
Believing Christ's Love and Grace,
Shannon W.
http://www.wallacefamilyhomeschool.blogspot.com

Wife to Josh :)
Mommy to Ethan, safe with Jesus (November 29, 2002-June 5, 2010)
Mommy to Evan, 6--MFW 1st

4littlehearts

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks Inhisglory! My pride tells me that I need to have my daughter be just as advanced or more advanced than her counterparts in public school or private school. Sometime I feel like I have to prove something being that I am a homeschool mom. I need to keep this in check. I have to remember the whole reason why I homeschool which is to train my children for the Lord, not to show off their academic achievements. It's nice to know that I am not alone in my struggles. Thanks!

cefcdana

Re: MFW K and reading???

Unread post by cefcdana » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Just skimming so maybe someone already said this. ..

You can do MFW K and just omit their phonics program. I do like their phonics program but, take what you like out of the curriculum and pick and choose.

Praying for a clear answer for you.

Dana

rjsmomma

Private School (Abeka) to Homeschool (ADV) & Phonics/Mat

Unread post by rjsmomma » Tue May 15, 2012 8:20 pm

CindyLou wrote:Hi - our two children are currently enrolled at a private Christian School that uses Abeka. DD is in 2nd grade and DS is in 1st grade. I tried homeschooling them in K, but just could not get them to read. They have excelled so much this last year at school - both are now very confident readers, reading way above grade level. DD **LOVES** workbooks, often asking her teacher for more, and she loves school. DS excels in spelling, but he does not like all the busy workbooks - does only what's required, often hurrying since his sheets must be done before he can go to recess. Both are writing in cursive BEAUTIFULLY! We hate to pull them out of school since they are doing so well, but it is just too expensive. I would need to go back to work just to afford the tuition, but can't seem to find a part-time job that will allow me to work around their school schedule (early dismissal days, late starts, holidays, etc). So....we're considering homeschool once again, and MFW looks like it would be a great fit, especially for my son. Going into 2nd/3rd grades, we could start with Adventures (which sounds like lots of fun even for me!).

My question is: will PLL be enough for LA, or should we continue with Abeka phonics/language arts (since it's proven to be so successful for our kids)? Can I continue with cursive writing? Are there "extras" that my daughter (who loves workbooks & busy work) could do that would go along with Adventures? Also, how does Singapore math compare to Abeka math (another area that the kids have really improved/excelled in at school)? I don't want to slow down their progress, but don't want all the "fluff", either. Hope I'm making sense! Just curious if FLL and Singapore Math would keep them progressing ... or if it's possible to combine Adventures with Abeka LA & Math without overloading them.

Thanks for any input....
CindyLou
My dd did Abeka for 1st and 2nd grade as well,
through we did it at home. She didn't like Abeka
at all, and did very well with PLL and Singapore.

That said, there is no reason that you couldn't stick
with Abeka for those subjects. Your son may really
like the MFW recommendations though as they have
very little busy work/workbook to them.
Shannon Meyer
DD - 13 years old - 7th grade
Used MFW for K, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and now 7th:)

ilovemy4kids

Re: Private School (Abeka) to Homeschool (ADV) & Phonics/Mat

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Wed May 16, 2012 9:41 am

Just my two cents, but I see no reason not to switch to the MFW suggested items. Singapore far surpasses abeka in fostering understanding, and the PLL is just more fun and less busywork. The biggest difference would be PLL vs Abeka; Abeka teaches the formal terminology, whereas PLL teaches the concepts and understanding without the terminology. I much prefer PLL.

Sandra

brenjan98

Unread post by brenjan98 » Fri May 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Cindy- I could have written your post! We are in the exact same situation, so I look forward to more responses here. I had 3 kids in private Christian school using Abeka (5th, 2nd, and K). My kinder is reading almost as well as his brother in 2nd and is very advanced (early birthday). My dd in 5th is an all a student, excelling with Abeka and my middle son struggles with phonics and all the worksheets, but still an all A/B student. Our reason to homeschool is a financial decision as well, although I am excited about it and feel that MFW would be an awesome fit for our family.

I am considering using Abeka math/LA with mfw, but really I think it is too much. I also thought of using their dvds for that portion, but they aren't split up la/math, everything is combined and it's expensive. So, I think if we do indeed homeschool, I'll probably take MFW's suggestions all the way. You can always tweak them or add on if something isn't working. I also think I would start my rising 1st grader in ECC and keep him in a 1st/2nd grade phonics and math level. I think he would be ready for Adventures or ECC, I just think he might be way beyond MFW's 1st grade, if Abeka's K5 was too easy for him. Lastly, I think at the least LA portion of Abeka for k-2nd is too intensive and time consuming to go along with mfw. I'm sure it can be done, but don't think that would be for us. If anything, maybe keep the math, but follow MFW's suggestions for LA.

FaithinHim

Unread post by FaithinHim » Sat May 19, 2012 2:21 am

I'm another soon to be homeschooler whose child will be coming from a Christian school using Abekka. My son will be in 2nd grade doing ADV. I also thought about continuing with Abekka LA or at least the readers and maybe spelling but...

I think I'll go with the MFW recommendations instead. My son has learned to read with Abekka but I like that we will be reading real books with MFW. I taught 2nd grade in the public school system for 12 years and I know that it's so important that children grow to love learning and reading and just don't see it as busy work or something they have to do to pass to the next grade. I'm hoping those of us who will be coming from the Abekka background will continue to use this message board to update and encourage each other as we go through this new journey with homeschooling and MFW!

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat May 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi,
We used Abeka with our oldest dd from Pre K - 2nd grade, and started MFW in 3rd with Expl. Countries & Cultures. I wasn't sure about PLL at first, to be honest, but it's proven to be effective in teaching her basic grammar - not only in writing, but in speaking as well. She'll study more indepth grammar (gerunds, adverbs, etc.) in 6th-8th grade, I think, which is when most children begin to process complex grammar even when introduced to it at the younger grades.

So, as far as PLL - dive in. I think you'll like its style a lot. Also, Writing Strands dramatically improved her writing in just one year. Much smoother writing, better flow, and much better at communicating complex thoughts in writing. Highly recommend it. :-)

Get ready for a great year. - You're going to LOVE it! :-)

Enjoy!
Melissa B.
Mcmama9 wrote:This post was so helpful, so excited to make the switch!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4