Compare MFW to textbook approach & Happy with the switch

ruthamelia

Re: Going from BJU to MFW

Unread post by ruthamelia » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:21 pm

Hi! It sounds like this would be a big switch for you. It was for us 2 years ago also, but has been such a blessing! We started MFW in ECC with a 2nd and 4th grader just like you (only 1 second grader). It was a great transition to learning together, because it seemed to have just the right balance of independent and group work. ECC gave us the structure to work from, and at the beginning we followed everything to the letter. Once we got accustomed to it, it became quite easy to emphasize what worked for us and leave something out here or there that didn't fit. The artsy girl could do all of the crafts (art in ECC is mostly crafts) but the brainy boy didn't have to do any crafts at all- instead he did a lot more from the workbook Exploring World Geography which he enjoyed. You mentioned your kids don't like crafts- leave it out! I would say it's still worth trying from time to time, but not necessary. The academic level and pace of ECC seemed just right for these grades as well. The only thing I'm not sure about is how this would work with your nephew? Is it all via distance, or does he spend some time actually with you in person?

You asked about changing midstream, as well as testing. Overall I think they have retained much more from this than they did from our previous method which was predominately workbooks. Both also 'test' extremely well. (We don't have to do standardized testing, but an evaluation with a teacher once a year. I also periodically give them pieces of standardized testing materials available on the Internet, just for variety or curiosity sake.)

One thing that was significant in my comfort level with this...method for lack of a better term, was learning about Charlotte Mason's philosophy. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to spend a little time there to see if it fits with your goals and your family.

I hope something in there is helpful to you as you try to make decisions!
Kids in school: 14, 12, 10, 7, 6, 4, 3
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

gratefulmom

Unread post by gratefulmom » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:21 am

We switched when my oldest three were going into 2nd, 4th, and 5th. They had done mostly Abeka up till then, which would be similar to BJU. My two oldest (girls) have tested extremely well, while my son has been more "average". (We send them to our private church school for standardized testing almost every year.) They are now in 6th, 8th, and 9th. I also have a 2nd and 4th grader now. Haven't seen test results yet this year, but my 4th grader has tested well previously, and my second grader is progressing. Reading has been more of a challenge for him. I am supplementing my 6th graders English a bit with Daily Grams, since that area was a little weak on his test results, and I can see it in his daily work as well.

My Fathers World has been great for us!

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Fri May 01, 2015 12:52 am

I can't help you much regarding switching from BJU - but I have loved MFW.

I don't have to have my kids take standardized tests - BUT - I'm always wanting to make sure they are at least where they should be for the most part. As a result - I check our state education agency website every year. They have the standardized test from the prior year released along with the answer key. I print these tests & have my kids take them - they always do just fine. That eases my concern about whether or not they are keeping up!

Hope that helps - and blessings on your homeschool!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Tigress

Unread post by Tigress » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:01 am

Thank you all for you help. We did it! We went ahead and ordered our books and got them in the mail today. I have never seen my kids so excited for their school books to arrive! The actually are excited for school to start. My goal is to spark their love for learning again. My son saw the books MFW used and was so excited. These are the kinds of books he can spend hours reading. I think it is going to be a good year:) It looks like it is going to be fun! Good bye boring text books and teacher manuals!

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:31 pm

I can speak to the testing aspect. I just administered the CAT, which we get from Seton Testing, to my 8th grader and 4th grader. We've used MFW from the beginning and use almost all of the MFW recommended resources for language arts and math. My girls were tested on only LA and math, and they did awesome on the test! Math tends to be a problem area for both of my girls. They were each average in math and above average in everything else. Using MFW and the resources Marie recommends will prepare your children very well for standardized tests. But more importantly, it prepares them very well to be knowledgeable, wise, and successful in life.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy