History - Does chronological study start with kindergarten?

cbollin

History - Does chronological study start with kindergarten?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:29 pm

momma2kact wrote:I need help to understand something--how does it work to have history begin chronologically with the Bible in 1st, and then study U.S. history in 2nd(Adventures) ?

I really think it is the wise thing to do to study history chronologically. (I didn't as a child, and I hated history!) I thought that MFW did this, but as I have been looking into the Adventures program for my niece I just don't get it..... Any help is appreciated!
Debbie

First Grade and Adventures do cover chronological history as a first time through the chronological cycle for oldest child in the family.

First grade: history is from Creation to the time of the writing of the book of Revelation (in both art and composition). You do learn ancient history as it relates to Old Testament. Other civilizations and such are not included at that time. It is laying a foundation of "ancients" without the pagan "gods". It gets covered in greater depth in Creation to the Greek and even more so in the high school years. If you wanted to add in something else, you could make sure your children listen to grandparents (or parents) telling stories from when you were a little kid.

Adventures: begins about 1000 AD, which is close to a 1000 year jump from the end of 1st grade. It covers US history up to about the middle of the 1900's. But remember it is for a younger age than the 5 year family chronological history program so it will not include a lot of wars and other things like that. Just the highlights on the road trip through time.
does this confuse the child as they are trying to understand time (how much time has gone by unstudied between the end of 1st and the beginning of Adventures?) etc....

Both 1st grade and ADV include timelines to help the youngest children who are learning history to see these events and hopefully to understand that Leif Erickson didn't happen at the end of the New Testament. :)

And you might just want to call the MFW offices next week and talk with them for the best placement for your situation with your niece and your kids. Adventures can be used by some 3rd graders and it will ok to start there in some cases. Some people like to know more about who their closest neighbors (US history and 50 states overview) are and then learn more detailed chronological history. At this level it's overview and the majority of chronological history will be done in later years when the kids are older as the others said. It all works out in the end.

-crystal

ElaineTX

Here's my understanding.

Unread post by ElaineTX » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:15 pm

First, as I understand it (and seems right with my dc), kids younger than about 3rd to 4th grade don't really grasp the concept of a timeline -- or maybe it's that they don't really care about it. The timelines we've been keeping didn't seem to matter to the kids when they were younger! A chronological and more complete study of history becomes more important as they get older.

I'm one that started the "4-year history cycle" with my 1st grader (although I focused on the OT that year and added SOTW 1 on CD in the van the summer before 2nd grade -- when we used SOTW 2). What I found is that the kids don't really remember as much history from their early years. It was more about instilling a love of learning and focusing on the basics (3Rs).

If you think about it, though, a focus on the Bible gives them Ancient history and Adventures gives them what they need for Early modern & modern at that age; it also has the advantage of giving them some U.S. knowledge sooner than 3rd grade (in the three 4-year history cycles that some other curricula recommend, the oldest child doesn't get American history until 3rd grade. With Adventures, they get it sooner).

So the dc still get 3 runs through history with MFW, but it's just lighter the first time through. They'll still get 2 more times through history chronologically: in elementary/middle years and again in high school.

Remember, too, that they'll get all of history (Ancient - Modern) twice, deeper each time -- in 5th - 8th, and 9th - 12th. These are the ages where the chronological aspects will be most important.

HTH!
(Enjoying CtG this year with 5th & 3rd graders!)

Julie in MN

Re: Here's my understanding.

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:36 pm

ElaineTX wrote: If you think about it, though, a focus on the Bible gives them Ancient history and Adventures gives them what they need for Early modern & modern at that age.
I would even add that the New Testament in 1st grade and the explorers in Adventures means that a big portion of RTR has been covered!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi Debbie,

Just a few more thoughts to add to what the other posters have already said.

MFW feels very strongly that the first few years ought to be much more focused on giving the child a strong foundation in biblical truth and who God is. Hence they do not advocate a program that teaches kids about other gods(Egyptian, Greek, Roman, the 4 other major religions)until the next run through history. So the first layer of ancient history is only HIStory. These early years focus on God the creator(K), Gods word for us to live by(1st), and the different names of Jesus(Adventures). World history is filled with many conflicts which are difficult for younger children to understand and so world history is left until the later years. Even in Adventures you will not find the Revolutionary War or the Civil War expanded at all. This is left up to the discretion of the parent who may chose to add more library books on these topics if he feels his child is ready for the content. So, the first 3 years comprise a mini and very loose first sweep through history.

The timeline in the early years is primarily to give some major markers for context. Even in the MFW 5 year cycle the timeline is still not meant to be used to learn every date but to see the order of the most significant events throughout historyand how those events relate to other events in history.

Just agreeing with the others that in 3rd grade you do have a choice to do either Adventures or year 1(ECC). I think it is a good choice to do Adventures with the oldest child since this will delay beginning the history by one more year giving one more year of maturity for that child as well as younger ones following. This may not be as much of consideration for you, since you may only be schooling your niece for this year.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:28 am

I considered beginning a more traditional chronological history with my seven year old this year. He is a true history buff, so it seemed like the natural decision to me. Besides, I have found a lot of pressure in the homeschool world to do so. However, I can honestly say that the Lord strongly troubled me in that regard. While previewing several books that I would potentially use, I KNEW that Lord was saying to me, "No. Not yet."

I don't think my son has at all been confused by going straight from the Bible history in first grade to Adventures. In fact, he told me last spring that what he would like to study our country next, then other countries around the world, and then he would be ready to get back to the Egyptians and the Romans. No kidding. He came up with that on his own without knowing that that is exactly the MFW sequence. (I had done a very light introduction to early civilizations with him...an Usborne book entitled Living Long Ago.... alongside MFW first grade last year. BTW, it was an interesting book. We read about 3/4 of it. He was fascinated with it, but when he was done with it, he was done.)

One more note: My son repeatedly told me that he didn't want to study anything more about the Greeks and Romans. I think he was just ready for something else. He probably thought he was already an expert on those subjects, so why continue on??!!

I am excited about what we are doing with Adventures, I am greatly looking forward to ECC, and I am thrilled with the Biblical/ancient civilization approach in Creation to the Greeks. My son is super, super interested in learning about how people lived in Bible times. I think he will thoroughly enjoy that year.

Praying you finds what works best for YOUR family!

Tammy

cbollin

Re: Here's my understanding.

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:51 am

I agree with Elaine that history makes more sense the older they are. I still have a kid who thinks I'm old, Grandma is at least 100 years ago and anything from the Bible was a long long time ago but not millions of year ago :) But she likes timelines mostly to show what happened before (or after) something else, even if the dates don't mean much right now.

Another point to bring up about when to bring younger siblings into it all:
Younger siblings will not do Adventures as a separate program in 2nd grade. You will fold them into the program that older sibling is using. It really does work out because older child will help to filter the information to the younger siblings. And as a teacher you're better prepared to know ahead of time when to let the younger ones go play for a few minutes while you read something advanced. It's not as hard as it may seem.

I only bring that part up because it always seems to be a question in someone's mind about how it all fits in grades 2 -8.

-crystal

ElaineTX

Thanks

Unread post by ElaineTX » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:53 am

Thanks Julie and all! This is our first year with MFW, and I don't know exactly what is included in each year. I look forward to using the younger programs later with my toddler!

I really like MFW's history (and geography) progression, and I love the biblical emphasis throughout! Like Tammy, I had reservations about studying Ancient history in 1st grade, which is why I focused on the Old Testament that year instead. (And could have used MFW instead of planning on my own!)

Hope this helps!

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:46 pm

I learned so much from reading this thread! I never thought about First and Adv being a "preview cycle" of history, but that makes so much sense. (I just figured we were doing a year of Bible and a year of US history, silly me.) And what a blessing that MFW protects my sensitive dd from all the wars and harsher subjects until she's older. I'm hijacking a bit here - but I had to say thanks for turning on the light bulb for me.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Renai

1st grade History

Unread post by Renai » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:41 pm

Mommie25 wrote:Is there something that we can supplement for History for MFW1st?
Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:16 pm
We did MFW1 last year, and I admit, I started to use something to "supplement" history. After the first month however, I used MFW1 as is without supplementing, it just wasn't needed.

As this is a Charlotte Mason method, the habit of narration is your "test" of your child's comprehension of what is taught. The child is also learning to write a one (and later, two) sentence summary of the Bible stories. This process helps you help the child remember points of a story, thus another informal "test" of what he has learned.

Renai

erin.kate

History for a 1st grader...?

Unread post by erin.kate » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:53 am

cookislandmommy wrote:MFW has the entire 1st Grade year as Bible - is that correct? I have browsed other curriculums like Sonlight, that place a strong emphasis on History for 1st grade.

Personally, when I went to school we never did any "history" or "geography" until about 9 years old....whay is there so much emphasis on history for the younger grades? Is there much benefit? Is there a reason that MFW also holds off on the history? Just wondering...
I'm sure a more experienced MFW user will chime in with the reasons you are looking for ... but, as a MFW1 mom this year, the history IS the Bible. Your child will travel from Creation through the most loved stories of the Old Testament and the New Testament and you will keep a timeline and Bible Notebook to chronicle the learning.

This year lays such a beautiful foundation for stretching their little minds for more history and geography, appropriately through the stages of the Trivium. It really sets the tone for what is to come in the history cycle.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

beaglemamma2008

Re: History for a 1st grader...?

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:05 am

I hate to have to admit this, but it took me a while to view Bible as history. I guess that's a result of the way my mind was shaped as a child: "Real" school was Monday through Friday when we learned about real events of the world, and "church" school was Sunday when we learned about events of the Bible. It's odd. The church stories were just as real to me as the school stories, but somehow they were very much compartmentalized in my mind and didn't belong on the same timeline. Honestly, I'm not even sure I gave a single thought to the idea that they happened on the same Earth! Odd, huh?! In fact, it wasn't until I saw one of Crystal's posts somewhere on this board a couple of years ago that it dawned on me that the Bible is history.

As for why to teach history to children so young nowadays, I guess it's not that I think of this as a new idea (although it is one that has gained in popularity in the past few years), but I think of it more as worldview training. All history is, is His Story. I want my kids to know God's sovereignty, His strength, His protection, His lovingkindness, and one way for them to see that is through the way He has interacted in the lives of His people throughout the ages. Plus, like Crystal said, kids LOVE stories! :)
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:15 am

beaglemamma2008 wrote:All history is, is His Story. I want my kids to know God's sovereignty, His strength, His protection, His lovingkindness, and one way for them to see that is through the way He has interacted in the lives of His people throughout the ages.
Perfect.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:22 am

beaglemamma2008 wrote:. It's odd. The church stories were just as real to me as the school stories, but somehow they were very much compartmentalized in my mind and didn't belong on the same timeline. Honestly, I'm not even sure I gave a single thought to the idea that they happened on the same Earth! Odd, huh?! I
I totally get that. yep.

that's one of those reasons that I really like doing ECC. Knowing these places really exist and still do! helps set the stage for the story.

of course another reason I like doing ECC is that it helped me to see people and get to know them before deciding that I did or didn't like them. gulp. Where are they today and what's happening now, helps us to see it all in different ways. It's not some disjointed, compartmentalized thing going down.

this is a fun teacher's lounge and parent chat place on education, isn't it?

-crystal

jhagberg

Unread post by jhagberg » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:42 pm

The church stories were just as real to me as the school stories, but somehow they were very much compartmentalized in my mind and didn't belong on the same timeline. Honestly, I'm not even sure I gave a single thought to the idea that they happened on the same Earth!
Ha, ha! That is exactly how I would describe my understanding of history as a child. And I grew up in Christian school, too! :-)
Joyce

cookislandmommy

Unread post by cookislandmommy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 am

Thanks so much :)
LOL, I totally get what you all mean about untraining my brain...

Bless you all