Bible - How much is covered by MFW?

momtogc

Re: Is Awanas necessary with MFW?

Unread post by momtogc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 pm

We love AWANAs but we have only one child so it's been easy to make it to the meetings and work in one of the groups but it's not necessary to add it to MFW Bible. IMO, MFW Bible is great and if you feel like your children need more just read some of the corresponding verses, or a whole chapter or let them memorize two verses instead of one.

From the sound of it, you are already super busy so I would not add another activity unless you drop something else.
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am

There is a great deal of Bible in MFW. My oldest is not the fastest memorizer and he was not able to do the memory work for MFW and AWANA at the same time. If you drop Awana your kids will get plenty of Bible in MFW.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

claraskids

Unread post by claraskids » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:36 pm

All three of my kids do Awanas, but we look at it more as a social outlet for them. Due to finances, we are not involved in ANY other outside activity other than church; so it is definitely doable for us. What I've noticed it that often the memory verses for both AWANA and MFW will coincide. My kids love it when they come upon a verse they've already memorized. They think they've just had an easy day :)
I've chosen not to volunteer at AWANA's and felt no guilt about it. It is my one time per week that the kids and I have a true break from one another.
mother to dd11, ds7, ds5.
Adventures 07/08
ECC 08/09
Creation to Greeks 09/10
Wrapping up CTG and soon to start RTR, also doing Kindergarten

Scott Sorrell

Bible throughout MFW

Unread post by Scott Sorrell » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 am

CrystalM wrote:I have been searching all over but can't find it posted anywhere. Throughout each year from K-12 how is the bible studied each year. I know with AHL the student reads and studies the entire old testament and then in WHL the focus is on the new testament. What about all of the other years? What part or topic of the bible is studied each year?

-Another Crystal
There is a page about Bible integration in the catalog and also on the main website
https://www.mfwbooks.com/wps/portal/c/a ... ntegration.
  • How Is Bible Integrated into Our Curriculum?

Bible is integrated into the study of history, science, and literature in each year of our program, helping children learn a Biblical worldview from kindergarten all the way through high school. From Genesis to Revelation, the Bible is studied in three cycles, each at a more detailed level.

Cycle 1 (K - 2nd):
  • Kindergarten – God created the earth and everything in it. Each alphabet letter is linked to an object found in God's creation and a Biblical character trait. Science activities and hands-on projects reinforce each character trait.
  • First Grade – God's Story from Genesis to Revelation is read, narrated, and illustrated through more than 50 stories in the phonics-based Bible Reader. Read-alouds for science, writing, and art connect with the Word of God.
  • Adventures in My Father's World (2nd or 3rd grade) – Students study the names of Jesus, learning about His character while reading from their own grade-level Bible. Science lessons correlate with the names of Jesus (e.g., Bread of Life), and U.S. history spotlights the Biblical character of America's forefathers.

Cycle 2 (3rd - 8th and 2nd graders with older siblings):
  • Exploring Countries and Cultures – God calls us to share His love with the world. A study of the Gospel of Matthew and stories of missionaries help children understand God's heart for all people. Students are introduced to the physical and spiritual needs of mankind as we learn about ecosystems and lifestyles in different parts of the world. This foundation prepares students to view the upcoming study of chronological history with God's heart and mind.
  • Creation to the Greeks – See God's hand and His plan throughout ancient history. An overview of the Old Testament, which serves as a key history text, allows students to study the Bible and ancient history side by side. Old Testament stories and celebrations come to life as families experience the Old Testament feasts, the ten plagues, and much more. Science experiments point to God's design and purpose in Creation. Creation science teaches about dinosaurs and other discoveries from this time period.
  • Rome to the Reformation – An overview of the New Testament and the life of Jesus including a special focus on the books of Luke, Philippians, and 1 John. Roman civilizations, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and the Reformation are viewed in the context of Christ and the early church. A study of astronomy and the human body is viewed from a Biblical perspective.
  • Exploration to 1850 – Studying and memorizing the book of James helps children understand man's struggles in world exploration. Inspirational true stories of faithful men and women encourage us to press on in difficult times. God's creative hand is revealed through a scientific study of plants and animals.
  • 1850 to Modern Times – Stories from around the world and a life-changing Bible study teach basic Christian beliefs and invite families to live out the amazing privilege and responsibility of sharing God's story of love with all people. Learn how prayer greatly impacts situations in our world, including many notable historical happenings. A beginning study of chemistry and physics offers many hands-on opportunities to recognize God's ultimate power in our universe.

Cycle 3 (High School):
  • Ancient History and Literature – A verse-by-verse reading of the entire Old Testament encourages challenging, practical, daily application. Worldviews of ancient societies and their literature are studied and compared to a Biblical worldview. Each year of high school includes scheduled participation in student-selected community service projects.
  • World History and Literature – A verse-by-verse reading of the New Testament is combined with personal application from Experiencing God: Youth Edition and other impacting resources. Church and world histories are studied from the time of Rome to the present.
  • US History to 1877 – A Biblical worldview is studied in depth and then used to analyze the diverse worldviews found in early American literature. Worldview disciplines studied include theology, philosophy, biology, psychology, ethics, sociology, law, politics, economics, and history.
  • US History 1877 to Present – Concepts and skills for spiritual growth are taught to encourage lifelong habits and practices. These disciplines include in-depth Bible study, Scripture memorization and meditation, and prayer. Literature and history assignments continue to include analysis from a Biblical worldview.
Hope that helps also.

proud2bmykswife

Bible in MFW

Unread post by proud2bmykswife » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Looking at MFW website, samples, and catalog, it is hard to tell what all is covered for Bible and Worldviews through 8th grade. I've made a list; am I missing anything?

Toddler/PreK - Wee Sing Bible Songs, Hide 'Em In Your Heart cds

K - What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs (Creation, Flood), character traits, Scriptural truths tied in with the phonics
Do they memorize Scripture at all in K?

1st - Bible Reader, Bible notebook, memory verses from Proverbs

Adventures - NIrV Discoverer's Bible - Names of Jesus

ECC - Matthew - daily reading and memory verses
Missionary bios, people groups, religions

CtG - O.T, Victory Journey through the Bible, Celebrating Biblical Feasts - OT stories in depth, feasts, memorize 10 commandments. What else do they memorize?

RtR - NT, Journey through the Bible, Trial & Triumph, How the Bible Came to Us - NT overview, focusing on Luke, Philippians, I John, with memory verses from those three books, history of the Bible and early church

Ex-1850 - Boy, Have I Got Problems!, Trial &Triumph, In God We Trust - inductive study of James, memorize most or all of James, Godly heroes

1850-Mod - Young Person's Guide to Knowing God, Trial &Triumph, In God We Trust, Tales of Persia, Witnesses to All the World - basic Christian beliefs, Godly heroes, prayer and service.

Am I missing any Scripture readings, memory verses, or anything else? I want to make sure I have everything covered so my dh can make some comparisons.

Laurie
Laurie, married to my hero 27yrs
dd 26 getting married in June, 23, 20; ds 25 in India
dd 16, 13 AHL
dd 10, 8 ECC, 6 1st, 4 1/2 K

cbollin

Re: Bible in MFW

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 pm

proud2bmykswife wrote:Looking at MFW website, samples, and catalog, it is hard to tell what all is covered for Bible and Worldviews through 8th grade. I've made a list; am I missing anything?

Toddler/PreK - Wee Sing Bible Songs, Hide 'Em In Your Heart cds

K - What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs (Creation, Flood), character traits, Scriptural truths tied in with the phonics
Do they memorize Scripture at all in K?
Optional on scripture memory. At the top right of the 2 page spread of unit there is the "focus scripture". that can be for memory or not.

memory is encouraged with the "badges" and bible themes.
1st - Bible Reader, Bible notebook, memory verses from Proverbs

Adventures - NIrV Discoverer's Bible - Names of Jesus

ECC - Matthew - daily reading and memory verses
Missionary bios, people groups, religions
and don't forget the seed laying for Bible translation
CtG - O.T, Victory Journey through the Bible, Celebrating Biblical Feasts - OT stories in depth, feasts, memorize 10 commandments. What else do they memorize?
other memory work includes: books of OT
2 psalms
long passages from Isaiah 40
RtR - NT, Journey through the Bible, Trial & Triumph, How the Bible Came to Us - NT overview, focusing on Luke, Philippians, I John, with memory verses from those three books, history of the Bible and early church

Ex-1850 - Boy, Have I Got Problems!, Trial &Triumph, In God We Trust - inductive study of James, memorize most or all of James, Godly heroes

1850-Mod - Young Person's Guide to Knowing God, Trial &Triumph, In God We Trust, Tales of Persia, Witnesses to All the World - basic Christian beliefs, Godly heroes, prayer and service.

Am I missing any Scripture readings, memory verses, or anything else? I want to make sure I have everything covered so my dh can make some comparisons.
I have a feeling something is missing... ... hmmm..
scroll through here for some of the " feeling"
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3149

hmm.. well.. maybe someone else's eyes will see more.. I know you didn't list the Hymns study.

there's the worldview with science books. (that's part of it too...)

There's this in the FAQ to show how it's done...
http://www.mfwbooks.com/bible
proud2bmykswife wrote:Thanks, Crystal! You've been a big help.
Laurie
another worldview time in MFW..

God and the History of Art. it really is about art history and worldview.

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:23 am

The only things I thought to add (we have only done up through ADV & looked a lot at ECC) is:

the time-line in MFW 1 is an over view of Bible History from Genesis to Revelation
prayers for various people groups in ECC
memory work in ADV ~ all the memory verses have to do with who Jesus is
Jesus poster in ADV
copy work of memory Bible verses that starts in MFW1 and continues
hands on activities to reinforce Bible

It was strange to read the list for me as it lost the real experience of MFW Bible, which is much greater than it looks on paper.
cbollin wrote:that is what I was feeling when seeing the parts...
it is like listing ingredients to make a yummy pie..... until it's mixed and baked ... it's not the same feel.

I don't know.... maybe other programs have same ingredients and maybe in some cases some of the ingredients in slightly different measurements..... but I really like the MFW "bible flavor"...

yeah.... that's it... it's like looking at allrecipes vs. cook dot whatever... sometimes shepherd pie has slightly different flavor or mix and match on ingredients....

can anyone else tell I'm hungry and should log off
Me too Crystal. It is like a favorite flavor of ice cream. I have at times tried other kinds...oh that looks like an interesting Bible flavor, but then it just isn't the same... so I come back to my favorite flavor and it feels different, fuller and richer somehow...the way the ingredients are chosen and the choice of how they are mixed together turns into a Bible experience that is rich and really works.

Blessings,

proud2bmykswife

Unread post by proud2bmykswife » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 am

Thank you Crystal and Carin!

Carin, I'm realizing that it is much more than just a list on paper. From the links that were shared here and on another board, I'm seeing a much bigger picture in how life-changing MFW has been for families.

Laurie
Laurie, married to my hero 27yrs
dd 26 getting married in June, 23, 20; ds 25 in India
dd 16, 13 AHL
dd 10, 8 ECC, 6 1st, 4 1/2 K

cbollin

5 year cycle?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu May 17, 2012 1:21 pm

gratitude wrote:We have Loved MFW1. Since it is chronological it does of course spend much more time in the OT than the NT.

I am Loving reading through all the samples from the 5 year cycle. Since it is a chronological world history time-line though, Jesus life is only in the curriculum for a few weeks in RTR, since the time He lived on Earth was very short on a chronological time-line. So I am just wondering if by the time the entire 5 years is done, with the other ways Marie brings in the gospel, does Jesus stand out as the great event in world history; despite the small amount of time He actually lived on Earth? Or, does it end up feeling more OT focused like MFW1? Do these questions make sense?
I think I understand the question, but I"m not sure I do. I don't think MFW gets bogged down in Old Testament if that helps to make an analogy.

K: relationship with God. plenty of Jesus.
1st grade: well the Bible is 39 books in OT and rest in NT... the program reflects that 2/3 1/3 thing
ADV: all Jesus. NT

ECC: full year study on Gospel of Matthew.
CTG: OT
RTR: New Testament books are studied all year. entire gospel of Luke. several epistles, even an overview of Rev.
EX1850: book of James is the focus of Bible..memory whole book of it.
1850MOD: older book of relationship with God (young person's guide) with almost all of the reference scripture from NT. Tales of Persia - I remember loving that book for the relationship of knowing Jesus from perspective of Persian believers in the 20th century...

then, high school: AHL, OT... after that... it isn't OT focus.

another aspect of it all is that a lot of what people call "church history" shows that people lived and live for Jesus even after the year 33 AD was over. Whether it is "church history", or missionary biographies, or in general about "people living their faith", that element makes that connection to "great event" that changed everything.

does it help to see any of it? the "stand out as great event" question... my brain isn't making the curriculum connection...
-crystal

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: 5 year cycle?

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu May 17, 2012 6:10 pm

gratitude wrote:It does help me see it Crystal. Thank you. Somehow when I look at what you just typed it is an 'Oh' two 2/3 years of OT and then a lot of NT throughout the program; that makes sense. I was really struggling to phrase the question, so you did well pulling out of it what I was asking.

I was marching through the table of contents for each program and there was a moment of 'Oh" all of the life of Jesus, crucifixion, and resurrection in that tiny little spot right there. :) (I hope that just came across in the right way in computer land with a little smile and humor). In a way it made me realize as I marched through history of all 4 table of contents how very short Jesus life really was in the whole scope of human history. Other people are mentioned briefly, and it didn't make me pause at all. I think it was His significance to me and me realizing how brief of a moment in time his physical presence on the Earth really was. Does that make sense?

As you know I can think too much, and I after I posted I wondered if I had 'over thought' again!
Carin, if it helps at all, that was exactly my reaction when I saw how short of a time period "The Life of Christ" is studied in RTR. I took a whole year on that in high school, and it's only 2-3 weeks in this manual?!?! What's up with that?! :)

I do believe that the sovereignty of God and the deity of Jesus is covered again and again throughout MFW. In CTG, there have been many notes in the TM where we are told to go read something in the NT to see what the OT event is foreshadowing, or how Jesus' life fulfilled some requirement or feast. So, even though we get a "blip" of 30 years of history on our timeline for Jesus' physical life on earth, His significance is never down-played.

Perhaps that's more than you're asking, but it actually helped me to think it through and type it out, too.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Thu May 17, 2012 6:58 pm

We're in EXP1850, but I've never felt like God is left out. Maybe not "Jesus" directly, but God is always there. You see His sovereignty and providence and all those things. Plus, memorizing scripture - Matthew (lots of Jesus) in ECC, Parts of Luke (lots of Jesus), James, 1 Corinthians 13, and other verses and somehow it either has tied in to history we are studying in the curriculum, or our life as we are living it. Today we were working on James 5:9 "Don’t grumble against each other, brothers, or you will be judged. The Judge is standing at the door!" And man, have my kids been grumbling against each other these days. That happens all the time to us.

Some of my other favorite "God-incidences" are things like: a lesson in PLL or ILL ties in with what we are currently studying in History (or have studied recently); or the readers we use for "reading" time will be a story of someone we're studying, or tie in with PLL or ILL. It's just neat. And I think, "There's God again, pulling it all together for me, filling in those gaps that I would have otherwise totally missed." My favorite was we had read a little biography on Samuel Morse in ILL (studying it for word usage more than the biography itself), and then the next week, Samuel Morse came up in History. Well, when dd wrote her summary page on Samuel Morse, she included some of the info from ILL that wasn't in the History sources. He is always doing stuff like that for us.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri May 18, 2012 10:45 am

The life and ministry of Christ, who He is and what He came for, are essentially studied all the way through the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri May 18, 2012 11:46 pm

Thank you Cyndi! It really helped to read what you wrote. Yes, it is more of what I was asking when you wrote:
Cyndi (AZ) wrote: So, even though we get a "blip" of 30 years of history on our timeline for Jesus' physical life on earth, His significance is never down-played.
You put it into better words than I could! Thanks for the help.

Thank you too Trish!
Those things have happened to me a couple of times in ADV. I was asking my DH a question one morning about parenting, and voila the message in ADV was my answer! :-)
4Truth wrote:The life and ministry of Christ, who He is and what He came for, are essentially studied all the way through the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. ;)
Too true Donna! :-) I want my children to see Jesus in the OT as much as I do. Thank you for the good reminder of the importance of studying everything from Genesis to Revelation.

I really am loving reading through all of Marie's notes. There are so many things in the 5 year cycle that I don't know! :-) I am up to 10th grade...quite a stack, and it has been so HELPFUL! Thank you! :-)

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Sat May 19, 2012 6:53 am

gratitude wrote: Oh, and I am LOVING reading all of the sample notes. I am up to 10th grade...quite a stack, and it has been so HELPFUL! Thank you! :-)
What sample notes are you reading? Maybe I need to be doing that, too! :-)
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sat May 19, 2012 8:50 am

erin.kate wrote:
gratitude wrote: Oh, and I am LOVING reading all of the sample notes. I am up to 10th grade...quite a stack, and it has been so HELPFUL! Thank you! :-)
What sample notes are you reading? Maybe I need to be doing that, too! :-)
Hi Erin! :-)

It is great to see you here! For each grade on the web-site is a sample that includes one or two weeks of sample for each program's TM. Each sample includes the grid for that week and then the notes behind it. It also includes all the table of contents, descriptions of each subject that are in the front of the TM, and some other samples that are probably in the front of each TM. Each grade has around 10 pages to read through. It was Donna's Idea, and a good idea at that. So I printed out all the samples from ECC through high school.

I first took out all of the grids and went through the one or two grids for each program in order. Doing the grids alone gave me a nice over view of where MFW is going through the cycle and high school. Then I started reading through my one inch stack of table of contents, course descriptions, and weekly notes for the grids that I looked at in order. It has really helped me see a much clearer big picture of MFW as a whole program, where they are going, and why certain topics are picked for certain years.

I learn best by getting the big picture and then filling in all the details so it has helped me a lot. It has shown me the purpose behind the program too. I have loved doing it. I also took Donna's suggestion of re-listening to some of David Hazel's CDs that go through the purpose and 'whys' of MFW and what they do and why they do it. Listening to those while going through the samples has been very helpful as well. I am getting a much stronger feel for MFW as a whole program than I have ever had, which is making my confidence grow in what they do.

Have a great Saturday!