6th-8th grade - Which MFW years to choose? (David Hazell res

Julie in MN

What year/package would you suggest?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:30 am

Julie L. wrote:About 4 years ago I used Adventures with my oldest ds. My oldest, 11 1/2, will be starting "7th grade" in January although he is working higher in math. My dd, 8 1/2, will be starting "4th grade." My youngest I will start with MFW K maybe this year or when he turn 5 in September?

So my question is what package should I use to combine my oldest ds and dd? I was thinking Exploration to 1850 since they have gotten some Geography already and been exposed to quite a bit of the Geography books in that package and to missions and cultures in the last years, and because my oldest will be in 7th and I wondered if he needed to know more of the Exp.- 1850 information and the next year's information before entering highschool? Or what cycle do you suggest so my oldest ds gets what he needs before Highschool?

Thanks,
Julie L.
Hi Julie,
I think it might be important to know what you've been doing in between Adventures and now. Has it been American history all the way? Have your children had a firm grounding in creation and how man fell away from God -- the beginning of history? Have they done the time of Jesus/Rome & middle history already? What have they been into over the past 4 years?
Julie
Julie L. wrote:Well our history has been a little bit of everything actually: quite a lot of living books read about missionary's, geography and different cultures with some history; pioneer and Indian era books and texts, christopher columbus, inventors, A good bit of Bible history with very brief world history dealing with Egypt etc

Okay, I am so glad you asked that question, I went back and looked at the packages, but after looking at the MFW packages again I know exactly the material we haven't covered and they don't follow in sequence! We have least covered Rome to Reformation and 1850- modern times. So what do I do?
Okay, that makes sense. Hmmm, I am torn in 2 directions.

(1) Do RTR and 1850MOD, because those are the areas your kids have had least exposure. They are fun years and solidly educational, and often years that homeschoolers miss out on. They won't conflict with high school because both could be studied more. Afterwards, your youngers could start at the beginning with ECC and continue chronologically, hitting RTR again after 4 years rather than 5. Your now-kindergartener will have a nice complete cycle before high school. RTR has lots of areas where a 7th grader could delve into, from castles to Shakespeare. 1850MOD can be fully challenging for an 8th grader, and there is a 2nd-3rd grade supplement for your youngest.

(2) Do ECC and CTG, because that is starting at the beginning and your younger kids won't be jumping around so much as they flow through history. It looks like a perfect cycle for your middle child before high school. All your kids will get a good grounding in the world, including praying for the world, and then learning about the fall of man as the beginning and cause of history. Your oldest would then have an easier time in high school because he will be so recently familiar with the geography and with the Children's Homer and with the Old Testament feasts and such. ECC will be plenty challenging for your oldest with the 7-8th grade supplement, and during CTG he will have extra time to get up to speed on 8th grade science and writing, which will help him in high school.

In either case, the children will have lots to learn and lots of fun things to keep it enjoyable. Decisions, decisions! Well, you really only need to decide on the first year right now. And hopefully someone in your situation will chime in. Blessings as you make the best decisions for your family.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Re: What year/package would you suggest?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:46 am

Julie L. wrote:What about this set-up: Starting the cycle with 7th grade C&G and then 8th grade R&R and getting the World news magazine to help with current events. However, I keep reading about the writing portion in 1850-modern getting them ready for Highschool which makes me think that we ought to do R&R and then 1850-modern, but then for my 2 youngest that messes them up. The reason I think I do not need to do ECC with oldest ds is because I own all the ECC reference books and he has read through those and we have studied Geography and culture and other people's since I love missions. I mean since he has read through those books etc do you think he would really need a year in ECC before Highschool?
Julie L.
I wouldn't do 1850MOD solely for the writing portion. It does have outlining of each history lesson in the first half of the year, and writing from an outline in the second half. But the SOTW outlines are only of segments of the history lesson, rather than thorough outlines, so IMHO you could outline any paragraph if you want to practice this before high school.

I do think the general idea of "organizing" your writing is an excellent focus in 8th grade. That was my mantra with my 8th grader -- organize, organize, organize -- complete with my hand motions :) I wanted to move him from stream-of-consciousness, random thoughts... into taking those good ideas and organizing them so the reader could follow his topic(s). Don't worry too much, though, because the high school program continues this instruction. Just prepare the way so he isn't shocked ;)

In RTR, you might get by with spending even more time on writing, since the history itself is less intense. The only thing is that you'd have to write it on your grid at the beginning of the year, 2-3 times a week, every week, so you don't skip it, because it wouldn't be nicely written on there already :) But maybe you could pattern yourself after the 1850MOD sample grid (look for "outline"): http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/modsample.pdf

And I love the idea of adding current events. That could be his Friday assignment in RTR. He could cut out the articles and make a notebook. You could even have him write a summary, an outline, or best of all an opinion with supporting quotes !!

Your plan would be nice as far as keeping everyone in chronological history, and I agree that you could go to ECC once your oldest gets in high school. So from then on, your pattern would be:
CTG
RTR
ECC
EX1850
1850MOD

I wonder if anyone will pop in who's tried this cycle before?
Julie
Last edited by Julie in MN on Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Julie L.

Re: What year/package would you suggest?

Unread post by Julie L. » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:25 pm

Oh, wow, thanks for all those writing tips!!! My biggest thing is wanting my children to know how to write well- sometimes it seems intimidating to me knowing if I am critiquing in right.

About the cycle though I was thinking this would be our cycle:
C&G
R&R
EX-1850
1850-modern
ECC

I don't think it would be all bad for middle dd to do ECC in 8th because she knows quite a bit from listening on about Geography/cultures/ etc

Julie L.

dhudson

Choosing which year to skip or condense

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 pm

momma2boys wrote:I am homeschooling my son who is in the 5th grade. We are behind in the MFW cycle and I'd like to catch up but I'm not sure how to do it.
Hi Anna,
I would do the years in order and then just read SOTW 4 between 8th and 9th to get the full cycle. I think CTG and RTR are great foundational years so I wouldn't condense too much of them. Reading or listening to SOTW 4 would get the main ideas of 1850 - MOD across fairly easily.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

Possibly skipping Expl. to 1850...advice please

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:36 am

IdahoGrown wrote:Dd is a year late coming into the history cycle and will be in 8th next year, so I am considering skipping Exp to 1850 and moving on to 1850 to modern. She has not had any modern history yet, but has had "some" history from 1600 to the 1800s (mostly American history).

What I am wondering is if I should have her read a couple books/watch a few movies over the summer regarding world happenings during that time period. So what should we read or watch during that time? I am clueless...lol. I don't ever remember studying world history during that time and don't know what to do.

Thank you for any advice.
:)
OR should I just move on and not worry about it? Would that be sure disaster? lol
In the beginning of the 1850MOD manual you'll find notes how to use the first four or so chapters of a book in 1850MOD to review history from early American.

now you're covered :)

-crystal
IdahoGrown wrote: :-) :-) :-)

Crystal, you just made my day!!!

That answers it then! Woohoo!

MelissaB

Can I do MFW?

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:16 pm

krennpaul wrote:Hi, Im new to HS... I pulled my children out of public school at the end of the year and HS is where we feel God has led us...Im nervous but super excited. I really love this curriculum, at least the idea of it but I dont think it is possible for us... I have 2 girls one entering 3rd grade (perfect timing for MFW) and the other entering 6th... which is where I dont see MFW as possible seeing its a 5 year cycle... Am I wrong in this? Is there any variations i can do to enable us to use this curriculum or is it not going to work? If not, Do you have any suggestions? I really want their Science and History together just different levels/work to be done but ultimately learning the same (Math and English of course grade specific) I truly appreciate any and all suggestions and help!
Welcome to home schooling. :-) We did Exploring Countries & Cultures with our dd when she was in 3rd grade, but it's also developed for students through the 8th grade (There are extra, more difficult worksheets, etc. to complete). Their math, language and spelling will be separate, but they can share a common curriculum in Bible/history/science/music & art with ECC.

The biggest benefit is the bond they'll develop as they learn about the foreign places and read adventures (true stories about missionaries who've visited the places you're studying) together. ECC's an exciting year. I think they'll really enjoy sharing it.

Here's a link to Exploring Countries and Cultures: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/9/Expl ... d-Cultures
There will be a link to Sample Pages from the Teacher's Manual.
(Go to pp. 7 and the top of page 8 to see what your children will do together, and what your 7th grader will do in addition to those assignments.)

Your two children, even with their age difference, will probably grow closer over the next year. If you have time over the summer, the book Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Terri Maxwell is a wonderful way to prepare.

Enjoy! :-)
Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

TriciaMR

Re: Can I do MFW?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Hi! Yep, it can be done. I would call the Office and talk to them about the situation. They may recommend a slightly different path than what is "typical." Remember, your oldest would repeat the cycle in High School, so it would be fine. They don't have to have all the cycle before they go to high school.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:19 am

echoing the other answers...
Welcome along!

A student does not have to do all of the years in the "family cycle" (5 year cycle) before entering high school. There's a post in the archives that speaks to the general situation you are in. It was written by MFW's David Hazell for when a 6th grader starts in ECC and then what to do. Several examples are given for when the family has younger siblings or not.

A good fit in your family from what you have shared would be to do
ECC (exploring countries and cultures) 6th and 3rd
EX1850 (exploration to 1850) 7th and 4th
1850MOD (1850 to modern times) 8th and 5th

then, oldest can easily start 9th grade high school with AHL (ancient history and literature), and others (who will be 6th grade) will do CTG (creation to the greeks). Although high school students start chronological history again in 9th, they are not using the "5 year program to repeat the cycle in high school". It is different level and different materials to meet graduation needs and college prep.

then 10th grader in WHL and 7th graders in RTR
11th grader in US1 and 8th graders repeat ECC at jr. high level
12th grader in US 2 and 9th graders start high school in AHL

Here is how David spelled out the general plan for that situation of 6th grader in ECC with younger
david wrote: If you have done ECC and only have 2 years before High School

momrandles wrote:We've done ECC this year w/ a 6th and 2nd grader. Question.......if you only had 2 years before your oldest was in High School (doing Ancients w/ MFW), what 2 years would you squeeze in before then? It all looks so good, I want to cover it all!!! :D )

When I contacted the office, Brett emailed me suggesting RTR and then 1850 to MOD. I remember him saying that since they get a lot of "Creation" reinforcement at church and most children get into the explorers in school, which my son did a little, that RTR and MOD would cover a lot of the material not already covered.

Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:31 pm
Marie and I are going to try to provide a general response that takes into consideration most scenarios.

If you only have a 7th or 8th grader (no younger children) then it is best to evaluate the child's gaps and teach the curriculum that best fills the gap for that child as they approach high school. Often RTR and Year 5 fill this bill very well. Most students seem to have had ample US History pre-1850 and often Ancient History (Old Testament) -- Both of which will be done in High School as well. For some, Year 4 and Year 5 would be a better choice as they have not had any US History.

If however you have younger kids in cycle years, then skipping around too much will cause all sorts of trouble for the rest of their education. It is best to pick a cycle for the younger kids and stick with it even if it means that the older child will repeat CTG both in 7th/8th and then again in 9th. The programs are very different.

When you have younger kids we feel you only have 2 choices after ECC.
(1) You either teach directly through the cycle
(2) or you skip to Year 4 and teach from that point on in the following order:
ECC, Ex1850, Modern, CTG, RTR
then repeat ECC, Ex1850, Modern, CTG, RTR

We believe you teach ECC every 5 years once you input it and so it will always serve in the above scenario between RTR and Year 4.

Generally teaching RTR and then Year 5 when younger kids are still in the cycle is just going to be problems in the future.

Keep asking :)
or call their office for one on one help.
-crystal

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Just want to say Welcome along!

(I'd do ECC and not worry too much about what to do next year until it's closer to the time to start planning for next year. You have enough adjustments and transitions coming your way!)

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:30 pm

We start in a couple weeks. It will be our first year with MFW. My 7th grader and 3rd grader will be doing ECC. :) I can't wait. My oldest will have a bit more to do than younger brother, but that works. And, we actually will be jumping from ECC to the last of the 5 year cycles. My oldest wants to study modern times before high school. You can do it in a way that works best for your family. I know it can be done. I would not hesitate to do ECC and then connect with the office about the best plans for the following year.

Good luck!
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

krennpaul

Unread post by krennpaul » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:28 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome and words of encouragement.

I really am thrilled that it will work becasue I have gravitated to this curriculum since the beginning and keep coming back to it!

Ordering this curriculum (ECC) and Im sure I will have many more questions to come, haha :)

Thank you again, all of you :)

Joyhomeschool

Re: looking to make a mid-year switch

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:44 pm

MY3monkeys wrote:We've come to a point where I think we have no choice but to change curriculum mid-year for my kids. I'm so close to ordering but I want to ask a few questions first. I know to start with ECC since it's our first year but they're 3rd and 6th grade ages. I'm not too worried about my 3rd grader but the 6th grader presents a problem since she won't get through all the years in the cycle. She has a lot of gaps in history as this has been such a huge trouble spot for her since we brought her home from the school system as a 3rd grader. How can I reasonably expect to have her in a good position to start high school? We can do some light summer work if need be to get her where she needs to be. Then I'm wondering if we can reasonably expect to get through ECC with what remains of this year? If not, how would that affect the catch up for my 6th grader?

I'm also curious how long we might expect our days to be? And how much reading aloud will I need to be doing? I struggle with reading aloud though i'm getting better at it.
Don't worry so much about gaps. Those history gaps will be filled in highschool with world history. The biggest concern are study habits, any math gaps, spelling, writing, love of learning..

Generally, if there are no projects or games any given day takes us around 3 hours. Depending on attitudes and attentiveness.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:46 pm

I agree with Vicki that there are always gaps in education, and there are even things we carefully cover only to find they are forgotten. So <hugs> on your worries but the things Vicki mentioned really are the most important prep, along with things like relationship, character, and faith before those awkward middle school years.

I also agree with planning on about 3 hours for MFW subjects, and the 6th grader may spend another hour or so on math and English-type work (reading, Writing Strands and ILL if you use those). Don't worry, you don't need to read aloud for those entire 3 hours! You will hopefully read and discuss during Bible and history, sharing your values and your faith, teaching your kids how to think through these topics. Then a literature read-aloud is optional in the Deluxe package, and could be done at bedtime, when my dh even read some of those.

As Vicki mentioned, I'd probably spend any high school prep time on the math and English, rather than cramming in extra history. I'd just start ECC now, if you can, and progress at a daily pace, at least at first. Be sure not to feel pressured to skip the hands-on - remember kids often learn best from those things.

My youngest was on a half-year schedule during 6th-8th grade and it was fine. We stopped ECC halfway through at the end of 8th grade, and he started high school back on a regular fall-to-fall schedule. He never really noticed our odd schedule, he just did the next thing. After you finish ECC, whenever that is, it looks like your oldest will have at least one more full year before high school. You don't have to decide now what that year will be. After you've spent some time in ECC, you may have a better idea of what you want to do next.

Doing CTG next, right before high school, seems strange to some, since high school begins with ancients. However, your dd seems like a perfect candidate for that option. If she's struggled with history, then she will have a "prep year" with CTG, getting used to the Children's Homer before reading Homer for real, getting familiar with the Old Testament at a gentle pace (and enjoying some fun like reenacting the plagues and building a mini tabernacle) before plowing through the whole thing in high school. There also just won't be as much pressure to focus on history, because she will be covering the ancients again soon, so she'll have time to get up-to-speed on junior high science, grammar, literature, and math. But again, you don't have to decide that year yet.

It's good to talk these things through,
Julie

MY3monkeys

Unread post by MY3monkeys » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 am

Thank you ladies. We will focus our attention on the more important areas of math and English and such. She does need some work in composition and spelling for sure before we embark on the high school road. Reading comprehension is another she needs work in. And somehow she's got to get better with her math facts (multiplication and division) so she doesn't need a chart anymore. To me these are all more important that history but it's easy to forget that when most of the local families we know are taking the history first everything else comes second approach.

Study Habits!!!! Definitely needs some work there, too.

TriciaMR

Jr. High/ high s hool

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:28 pm

MOMS wrote:My son is in 7th now. Starting high school (if we stay with MFW) he will either sjip 1850- modern or miss out on 1 year of the MFW high school years. Any suggestions?
I don't think 1850MOD would be high school level... Though maybe with beefing it up. I think there are recommendations to read Story of the World 4 over the summer after EXP1850... Call the MFW office.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Jr. High/ high s hool

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:47 pm

I agree that it's going to work far better to do the high school program once your student starts needing to build a high school transcript. And yes, the office can help you with that, too.

During the end of EX1850, there is a 6-week state study. You can add some of the 1850MOD reading during that time, for English reading, book basket, etc. By then, you'll probably have a good idea of what things you might want to cover, such as finishing the states and presidents, vs. covering the world history with SOTW.

I also had a small thought that your 9th grader could possibly do some "geography" with the family as an elective (maybe state sheets, or the states & capitals activities, etc.), if you don't schedule in other electives that year beyond Bible and foreign language. WHL has 0.25 credit of geography, so that got me thinking that AHL could have 0.25 geography, too. But that is just a random thought that came into my mind as I read your question, so it isn't very well thought out!

I'm thinking the ages of your kids in your signature need to be updated, so if the 10yo is now around 12, then your 7yo will be around 9? The reason I ask is that if you only have one student in the 4th-8th grade range during the next 2 years (and the rest are age 7 and under), then you could jump to the years you most want to cover for the oldest during 7th & 8th. However, if you have more than one child in the family cycle, then you'll probably want to keep things in chronological order.

Just some random chatting tonight :)
Julie

4Truth

Re: Jr. High/ high s hool

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:09 am

Another option is to skip Expl-1850 because that time period has already been pretty well covered in most families by 8th grade, and go straight to 1850-Modern instead. But I don't know how long you've been doing MFW or what you've already covered in history, so just ignore me if my suggestion doesn't apply. :)

You *could* do 1850-Modern beefed up with your oldest as a 9th grader, and not skip any of the elementary years that way, but then you'd have to figure out which year of MFW high school to skip.... It could get messy going that route. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

hsm

Where to start? 6th and 4th grade

Unread post by hsm » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:01 pm

Candeepal wrote:This year we were working on the early explorers and colonists. I've never used MFW before and have no idea which unit to start with. Having a 6th grader we wouldn't be able to complete the full cycle. I can use advice.

Thanks!
Candee
I think the general answer would be start them both in ECC, then continue on in the cycle. If you have done explorers/colonial times you have covered some of what is in the last two years (I think-I haven't gotten that far yet ;) )

I started MFW with a 6th grader and 3rd grader and we started with ECC. I know that my oldest will not complete the cycle but she will get the information in high school. What I plan on doing, but isn't necessary, just a preference, is having her listen to the SOTW audios 3 and 4 after her 7th grade summer and 8th grade summer. Our library has them so it isn't a cost factor for us. I may also get the Children' Encyclopedia of American History from our library for her to read through at her leisure. But, again, it probably isn't needed since she will get all of the info in high school and has had some exposure in earlier years.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

Joyhomeschool

Re: Where to start? 6th and 4th grade

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:30 pm

Yes what Lori said. That's what I'd do too.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:01 pm

Agreeing, start with ECC, get a feel for the world and for MFW. Then you will have a better sense of where to go next. Maybe the last year, 1850MOD. Or, maybe you haven't done much at all in the CTG or RTR time frame and want to begin there, you will have some time to decide on that year.

Welcome, and enjoy!
Julie

TrustingHim

Unread post by TrustingHim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:24 pm

OK I'll be the voice of dissension. Depending on where you stopped in American History, you could do Ex-1850 or 1850-MOD with your 6 and 4th grader. We started with Ex-1850 with my 4th grader and it worked out beautifully. Everyone told me to start with ECC but that felt too disjointed for us. We needed to complete the cycle of history we were already on. My oldest had already done a Geography course, Ancient History twice (don't ask), and the Middle Ages. We needed to keep moving forward and I really felt called to do MFW. You can go look at the table of contents and see which of those two years best describes where you ended and go from there. It worked beautifully for us.

Blessings!
Dorinda
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24

sandi

placement question

Unread post by sandi » Sat May 31, 2014 7:14 pm

So I am not new here, been using mfw for a long time. I have a 7th grader coming up and need some input. We are finishing ctg were going to move to rtr in the fall. This child has dyslexia and hasn't done any American history in the past, soooo
I have two years left before high school. Which plan do you think looks good? I hate to skip rtr but she really needs American history.
7th-rtr
8th-ex1850
9th-mod
10th-ahl
11-whl
12-us1(complete bju book in one year, i know this is doable i have talked to mfw about this)

OR

7th-ex1850
8th-mod
9th-ahl
10th-whl
11th-us1
12-us2
this would skip rtr:(
His Child,
Sandi

Joyhomeschool

placement question

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sat May 31, 2014 8:32 pm

sandi wrote:So I have been using mfw for a long time. I have a 7th grader and we are finishing ctg. This child has dyslexia and hasn't done any American history in the past, soooo
I have two years left before high school. Which plan do you think looks good? I hate to skip rtr but she really needs American history.

7th-rtr
8th-ex1850
9th-mod
10th-ahl
11-whl
12-us1(complete bju book in one year, i know this is doable i have talked to mfw about this)

OR

7th-ex1850
8th-mod
9th-ahl
10th-whl
11th-us1
12-us2
this would skip rtr:(
Plan B. I would do EXp and Mod the last two years. I would read STOW vol 2 over the summer to get your Roman history in.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,

Julie in MN

Re: placement question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:54 pm

I agree with Plan B. Great plan for a student who needs to get in American history in 7-8th.

My second choice would be this one for a few reasons, but if he hasn't had any early American exposure at all, then I think Plan B sounds best.

RTR
1850MOD
AHL etc
sandi wrote:Julie,
Would you list the reasons for your plan? Why would you skip EX1850?
Thanks
Hi Sandi,
There are a few reasons I might pick RTR over EX1850, but I don't think they make a case in your situation?

1. He has dyslexia and maybe a gentler year of history while he gets used to middle school English and such. Although on the other hand, EX1850 may be more useful in gradually building him up towards 1850MOD and then high school?

2. RTR covers the New Testament and I like that, giving a good idea of the context and such. Although EX1850 covers a book of the NT also, so it isn't that big a difference? (And I do love some of the books studied in Bible in 1850MOD.)

3. The end of EX1850 has 6 weeks of state study which are pretty loose so it feels like less to skip, although you could use those 6 weeks to make it a gentler year, too?

4. Most kids have picked up a lot of early American history, but that doesn't seem to apply to you?

5. There is a small amount of overlap between the end of RTR and the beginning of EX1850, so I do usually pick one of those to skip, rather than 1850MOD -- with the caveat that I ONLY think that works for youngest children, which I think applies to you?

P.S. One good thing is that plan B won't be just US history, since MFW includes world history in there, as you probably know already.
Julie

TriciaMR

Please vote!! 3 out of 5 of the 5 year cycle ….

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:20 pm

abrightmom wrote::-) I am tentatively planning on ECC but simply MUST ask … My oldest is a rising 6th grader and so we have 3 years before high school. WHAT 3 of the 5 year cycle are your favorites?

Actually, I don't want to consider CtG as we've had plenty of Ancients and will revisit that in a few short years when the oldest is studying AHL. So, I have ECC, RTR, Exp-1850 and 1850 to MOD.

I keep thinking we'll do ECC but find myself wavering because I find it kind of easy to integrate countries and cultures in our every day life (we go to a missions minded church and I personally spend a lot of time talking with my kids about the world, where things are on the map, we read and listen to missionary bios, etc.). I'd like to have the geography game on hand to play as we would any other game but I'm not sure we need to do all of ECC at this point. I could look for a geography game alternative and weave that in. If oldest DS was younger I'd not hesitate to choose ECC and move through the cycle but I feel that we may prefer to hit some of history's high points by jumping in at RTR and finishing out the 5 year cycle. Sadly, we stepped away from MFW after Adventures (our BEST year of homeschooling EVER).

I think this decisions boils down to preference :-) and possibly my kids' vote but I'd like to hear from anyone who has an opinion. Each guide seems to hit on specific skills and I'm hard pressed to choose between them. I don't want to cram as I like the "slow and steady wins the race" motto. Simplicity and "less is more" work much better here. Gaps are okay! :-)

Hit me with your opinions and any helpful thoughts. I am well aware of MFW's recommendation that we start with ECC but we could also skip it THIS round (for my oldest) or hit it in 8th if we jump ahead to Exp-1850. RTR has some of our favorite content and the thought of skipping it makes me sad (Shakespeare! Pilgrim's Progress! The New Testament and the life of Jesus Christ! the Medieval era! Chess!). If we jump in at RTR then we'd finish the 5 year cycle before the oldest launches into high school.

In case it matters my kids are here grade wise (rising):
6th
4th
2nd/3rd (she's straddling right now)
K
If you want to add more "geography game" there is the Stack the Countries app for Android and iOS. And then there is an online game called seterra.net (I think) that can work on locations of countries.

Do what you think is best for your family as far as the cycle goes. Personally, ECC is one of my favorite years. EXP1850 and 1850MOD seem to go from war to war to war to war so, they seem a little depressing, but I like the variety of resources MFW uses for those.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog