Combining K or 1st vs. just join older sibling (author reply

gratitude

Question Re K, 1st, ADV

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:45 pm

aprilsblessings wrote:I am new to the board and new to MFW. We are working on K and 4k (and toddler and baby) right now. My question is....

Would MFWK be a good option to use just for the bible/activities for my 6 year old ds in K, and 4 1/2 year old dd in 4K? I would like to keep them together. I actually have the old TM for MFWK and wondered if it would be worthwhile updating to the newer one if I only want to use the activities.

Looking ahead to the fall (or when we would finish up K) I am wondering about the 1st grade program. Is it worth using if you are not using the math or phonics? It doesn't look like there is much for science according to what I can see online. (We did just study the Bible for a good share of this year as well - not that I am opposed to more bible) I'm just not sure that I am interested in using that so then my next question....

Could I use Adventures with a 6 1/2 and 5 year old?

Thank you for letting me post my questions. I am just having such a hard time figuring out what we should be doing. I love the looks of MFW and I would like to keep my kids together as much as possible. I'm just not sure if the younger years is what I am looking for.

Blessings,
April
HI! Welcome!
I wouldn't recommend ADV for a 6 1/2 and 5 year old. I happen to be doing ADV with a 2nd grader/8 year old with a 6 1/2 and 5 year old in the house. The 6 1/2 is much better placed in MFW1. It takes far less time each day for him to complete then ADV would. Sure he gets some of the ADV program from big brother; mostly the Bible and the science that we are doing. But, his focus is about 45 minutes a day and that is how long MFW1 takes him. Perfect. I like it when attention span and the program line up. :-)

Since you have used HOD (and I tried it for 3 months) I will explain ADV in HOD terms. The writing in ADV is the level of writing in Bigger. Does this make sense? The spelling suggestions for ADV are at the level of Bigger. The PLL suggestion is also at Bigger level. The history books used for comprehension are at the level of Beyond. I have learned though that it is better to have them do a program that matches their skill level for writing, than comprehension level. It is easier to add in some fun pioneer books to read aloud or for them to read and look at then tearfully push through academics in note booking that most 6 year olds would find painful. Does this make sense? Not that ADV note booking is difficult, but my ds6 would not enjoy the amount of writing ds8 does for all of ADV combined. Not even close.

As for MFWK. You could definitely do the Bible and activities and character traits without doing the phonics. I like MFW phonics, but it sounds like you have one that you love so it doesn't make sense to do both. MFWK is a beautiful program without the phonics. I haven't seen the new manual, so I don't know how the activities part compares. The old manual doesn't have a grid, but if you weren't using the phonics the activities section is easy to read.

As for MFW1. This is a very personal decision on how much Bible you want to do or not do. The difference between LHFHG (I had 3 kids try HOD) Bible and MFW1 is that LHFHG is about reading the Bible to them with the Family Bible and MFW1 is about them reading the Bible stories at a first/second grade level for them selves and making it their own through drawing pictures of the stories and copying a sentence dictated to mom for their Bible note book. This Bible note booking also prepares them for ADV note booking. So what could you do in MFW1 without the phonics and blue student note book (phonics). You could read them the Bible story from the Bible, have them read it at their reading level (or below is OK too) in the Bible reader, draw the picture in the Bible notebook, and copy a sentence that they summarize of the Bible reader story into their note book. So MFW1 also lays the foundation of narration that is used more extensively in ADV. Then they could do the MFW1 science. They could also do MFW1 Drawing with the Art book. They could also do all of the time-line pieces for Bible History and all of the hands on activities for Bible. The MFW1 program is a lot more than phonics and math, and is my favorite MFW program that I have done. :-)
aprilsblessings wrote:Thank you so much for explaining the different programs, especially compared to HOD. It really helped!

One more question about MFW 1 for science... is it topical per week or just something to tie into the bible portion? I am wondering if I can build off of it. Could you maybe give some examples of what it looks like through the year?
The science is separate from the Bible portion. There are 3 main topics across the year. It is scheduled twice a week. One day a week is a reading from Things Outdoors with the student giving a narration, at least in the early part of the program. The second day is the Exploration Day, which they suggest scheduling on Wednesday. The Exploration Day is an entire day of science without any phonics, Bible Reader, Bible note book, etc. scheduled. Exploration Day is a science experiment and nature walk with a nature note book that the students do of drawings, etc. of things they find in nature. Early in the program the science experiments are ones designed by Marie that often complement the readings in the Things Outdoors. For example a reading about ants and then an exploration involving ants for the science experiment. Or, my favorite one is the astronomy experiment in MFW1 that Marie put together. The next part of the program uses the Usborne Plant book for all of the science experiments on Exploration Day to do in addition to the nature walk. These experiments are easy for children to do with their hands and easy for them to remember. The New Testament part of the program changes the schedule a bit. It is in the New Testament section that the Usborne water book is used for all of the science experiments that have to do with water.

Please ask if you have any more questions!

DS4home

Combining 1st and 7th?

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:46 am

faiths13 wrote: So its best to try not to combine until 2nd grade?
I would say that you can begin to combine before 2nd grade in some ways. Yes, you will still need to have the 1st grade manual for the phonics and math, but the other subjects can be combined. In my house we have always done Bible together, no matter the age, using the Bible written in the manual for the oldest kids. Then I may or may not do the Bible in my younger one's manual when I am working one on one with them.

This can be true for a lot of the non-book learning throughout the day as Julie mentioned, the science experiments, hands on things, cooking, even making notebook pages - just keep the expectations age appropriate.

In 2nd grade you will not have a separate MFW manual to walk you through the LA and math, they begin working out of the main program you are using with the older ones. You will still need to have grade level LA and math though, which MFW has suggestions for.

Does this help you think it through? Ask more questions if we aren't clear enough!

Dawn

I was also wondering if you would be starting with Exploring Countries and Cultures (ECC)? If so, that particular year has a lot of fun built into it that can be enjoyed by the younger ones. Even your preschooler will want to join in on some of it! And at the same time, it has the added elements for 7th and 8th graders, to raise the bar so to speak. So the older one will have more work and higher expectations.

Just thinking about what cycle year you would be doing and wanted to encourage you in that direction :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1