Placement - Must we start with Geography (ECC)?

TriciaMR

Re: Saving ECC for the middle of the cycle??

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:36 pm

My recommendation... do ECC first. Start it when you get it. I think it's just the first two weeks that feel "heavy." About week 5 (Brazil?), you will fall into a "groove" and that will last the rest of the year. I have felt with the rest of the programs (CTG, RTR, and EXP1850 - we're only in week 10 on EXP1850), that it tends to ebb and flow. Some weeks seem heavier/harder (lots of notebook pages, lots of science, lots of art and music), and then the next week is lighter. I never felt that way with ECC, except those first 2 week.

Here's my "ECC" story...

I have an older child and then twins. I had a "nanny" come in and help me when the boys were less than 1 year old (an active 4 year old girl). She is the daughter of a friend, and she was home on furlough from missions work, so I hired her for the 6 or 7 months she was home. Then, 2 Christmases ago, she came back on furlough to do more fund raising. When she came, my kids took quite a bit of their allowance money (like over half) that they had been saving (for Legos and American Girl Doll stuff) and gave it to her towards her missions work. When she went back, she wrote a note to each of the kids and she used their money to buy children's Bibles in the different languages of the families she was helping learn Dutch and English (she does missionary work in Amsterdam which is very much a multi-national and multi-cultural city). I don't think my kids would have been so generous if it wouldn't have been for ECC. And my boys were only 4 when we did ECC. The heart changes that happen in ECC are amazing.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TriciaMR

Skipping ECC and Starting with Creation-Greeks

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:04 pm

angieb wrote:We are currently using Adventures in My Father's World. In addition, we are doing a lot of map work and geography this year. I am thinking of skipping ECC and just moving on with the four year history cycle. I guess, partly, I am just ready to jump into the history cycle. :-) I also feel we will be spending an entire year not learning any history. For those who have used ECC and the history cycle, what are your thoughts on us skipping ECC?

Thanks so much!!
Angie,

What are the ages of your kids? I think some of the content of CTG is pretty mature, and should really wait for a 4th grader oldest (especially some of the Egyptian gods - though Marie keeps it mild). You do get History in ECC via the book basket... Some of my oldest's favorite books were the "Look what came from ..." books. But there are other books in the book basket that are "History" type books. And some of the picture story books are just "can't miss" books. Plus, with the deluxe package you get the missionary biographies, which do have some "history" type stuff.

I did Abeka with my oldest for K-2nd doing their "social studies." We studied some early American history then and found the switch to Geography a nice break. ECC really gears your mind toward God loves everyone and everyone needs Him.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: Skipping ECC and Starting with Creation-Greeks

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Agreeing with Trish that age makes a difference.

I think if you've done Adventures, then some of that "worldview prep" will be in place. However, you haven't spent the year praying for people who don't know God the way you do in ECC -- which was a major preparation for history in general, I think.

Here are some various conversations about starting with CTG rather than ECC. I believe I chimed in with more on my views several times :~ Although, keep in mind that many times we were talking with someone who had not done a year of MFW as you have.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5124

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

angieb

Unread post by angieb » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Thanks for your replies. You both make a good point about age. Mine will be 7 and 9 shortly after we start next year. Thanks for the link. I'll read through it now. :-)

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:53 pm

I haven't done the history cycle yet. But, I'm giving my .02 anyway - sorry. ;)

Having just finished ECC, I would say that it is definitely not to be missed. It is such a rich, full, wonderful, FUN year. I'm SO glad we did it.

:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

momonthemove

I really (REALLY) want to save ECC for 8th grade

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:44 pm

abrightmom wrote:Alright ladies (& gents if there are any out there), I need to get it off my chest. ECC looks fun and interesting, especially the Book Basket. My kids would probably love it. We have five years before my oldest is in High School. I have thought long and hard about this (for months and months to my shame) and while I KNOW ECC is recommended first and I understand why it is I want to wait to use ECC when my oldest is in 8th grade. Here are my reasons:

1. All 4 of my kids can study "countries and cultures" together! It's our ONE shot before oldest is in HS.
2. I think ECC would make a GREAT transition year for 8th grade, giving us opportunities to focus on SKILLS in preparation for High School.
3. We have read a hundred million missionary stories this school year and studied animals SO MUCH.

That's it. But, I can't get over the guilt and the worry that I'm breaking the MFW rules and perhaps I'll regret it. I have asked about it before and taken to heart the "whys" behind studying ECC first. But, truly, that doesn't really apply to ALL the kids in my family. No matter when we study it it hits every kiddo at a different age/stage/maturity level. And, really, my middlers would be all wonky on their history cycle anyway so I'll still have to figure out what to do before high school at that point.....

I would like to start Ancients this fall. My oldest will be a 10 year old 4th grader. I can't see why this wouldn't work out beautifully. But, do you hear me sighing as I write that??!!

ANY thoughts on this? I know I know I know. I'm impossible. ;) Should I follow the rules or follow my desires in this? Oh, my daughter will start MFW First Grade this fall and it seems like a lovely pairing of programs (First and Ancients) but that is just an aside.
lol! As a rule follower here-- I am going to break the rules so to speak in another year. This will be our first year starting next week and we will be doing ECC. However, my oldest will be 7th this year and wants to do modern times before high school. So we are going to jump to the last cycle before HS. :) And, the wonderful gal from MFW told me that would be OKAY! :)

So, I am going to tell you that you know your family best. You know what works and doesn't. Now, other experienced moms may have a different opinion, but take mine for what it is worth!

:) Good Luck!
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

cherona

Re: I really (REALLY) want to save ECC for 8th grade

Unread post by cherona » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:45 pm

Well, I am new and therefore not as knowledgeable...But my 2 cents is to wait for ECC if that is where your heart is. Pray about it, ask your dh his opinion. If he leaves it up to you then go with your gut. I think it sounds lovely doing it together with all 4!

Cheri
Wife to my hardworking husband, Seth, and Mom to...
Emma (12) CTG
Megan (10) CTG
Katie (8) CTG
Elsie (5) MFW K
Violet (2 1/2) MFW Toddler/Preschool

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:32 pm

HI Katrina!

I love hearing your heart on this issue. I say go for it with CTG. He is 10, and what a great age to study OT history. The 'heart pricking of ECC', that MFW recommends to prepare them for history, you have done by reading lots and lots and lots of missionary stories.

I completely understand why you have thought you had to do ECC first; I have felt the same way.

If you REALLY want to save ECC for 8th grade I think you should.

Go for it! I also think it is best to do a time period, or mission, or any subject when it is the right timing for your family. Happy Dancing with you! :-)
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:11 pm

I'll toss one more option in the mix...

Do CTG next year. you're excited. happy camper, etc..
Then, evaluate if you want to do RTR or ECC after that.

it is not a rule or prerequisite that you have to do ECC first. It is a recommendation.

after watching a rerun of a secular tv show... let me quote Wil Wheaton (playing himself in a bowling match against non other than Sheldon Cooper)
"it's a custom. Not a rule!"

or a quote from facts of life
"you've decided to make your own rule to follow and that rule is that you're not following the rule"

anyway... I thought it was funny that I sat around wasting my brain on reruns that those quotes showed up tonight...

-crystal

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:29 pm

Katrina! I love you. I love that you're so willing to put out there all your questions and ponderings and indecision...it makes me feel so much better about my own questions and ponderings and indecision. :-)

The curriculum police are not going to come and get you if you decide to do ECC last instead of 1st. Ideally, it would be both first and last, right? In 3rd grade and again in 8th grade, so once right before each go at the history cycle. So, it's not wrong either way. (By ideally, I mean, in the ideal, "perfect" MFW family, who starts with the toddler package and goes all the way through the high school years. And has their kids perfectly spaced to all hit the cycle EXACTLY right. :) )

MY only concern with you doing CtG next year would be what you posted previously in regards to your son and his current feelings toward the Bible, your faith, etc. *I* might be worried about "Bible overload" with him next year in CtG. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12637

BUT - I am NOT God! And if He is leading you to use CtG, who am I to second guess that plan?! For that matter, who is ANYONE to second guess that plan? You should definitely do what you are feeling led to do. Be at PEACE, girlfriend - it's all good.

Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:34 pm

Ladies,

Hehehehehe. You are all soooo sweet to me. :-) After getting permission to do whatever I want (and lest you worry I have been pondering these issues forever and a day; no random impulsiveness here) I decided that ECC is a better choice for now. Here is why:

1. DS 8 is a tad young for CtG and I am aiming for both of my boys this year.
2. After carefully scrutinizing the workload, including the Bible study and integrated LA, I decided I love what is scheduled for ECC.
3. My boys really want ECC.
4. We don't want to miss the Book Basket.
5. I own much of what we need (though I am having a bear of a time finding everything).

*** Update on my oldest son http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 637#p88119
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:12 pm

awesome update!

and interesting to hear on ecc ctg decision too.. but that's just awesome with your son.

-crystal

abrightmom

Unread post by abrightmom » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:40 pm

Thank-you Crystal.

:-) Yes, the ECC/CTG question. I have been fighting that one for months. Months. I told my boys we are going ahead with ECC and everybody cheered. I PROMISED them that unless God intervenes in some dramatic way that the decision is settled. :-) I have officially set HOD aside and that was a huge hurdle....
-Katrina-

DS15, DS14, DD12, DS8

Cyndi (AZ)

Using ECC first was a huge help

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 pm

I wish I had a better rememberer -- I feel a little like Pooh Bear. But I know that using ECC first was a huge help and eye-opener before doing CTG. I know there will come a day in CTG that you will say, "Oh! This is why we did geography first!" You will find yourself saying, "Now remember when we talked about that area? Right here on the map . . . " I did that over and over in CTG and continue to do so in RTR. I just have too big of a brain cloud now to think of a specific example. :~

ECC is so fun. You will enjoy so many wonderful moments with your kids.

eta: Curiosity got the best of me. I had to get last year's books out. In weeks 3, 5 and 6 of CTG the maps truly come alive when you've already studied geography and understand the real-live earth locations in the middle east for those events. Then, week 16 really excited us! We were drawing extra maps showing routes of early civilizations and talking about it with grandparents, etc. I was so thankful we had been through ECC, especially in week 16. I hope that encourages you a little bit. :-)
Last edited by Cyndi (AZ) on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

cbollin

Re: Using ECC first was a huge help

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:54 pm

and there'll come a day in 9th and.or 10th grade, after having done ECC in jr. high, where your child comes out and says "I'm glad I did ECC in 7th... makes it easy to get all of this history and map work in WHL"..... and then... you plan for 12th grade, staring at the lesson planner for US2, realizing that the geography credit that year is like a way to connect one more time with how it was done in ECC........ and you cry a few tears online seeing that wow... my 12th and 9th grader can do part together, and they can help little gal in ecc next year... and ..... it will all be pretty in the end....

sniff... and laugh...

-crystal

Julie in MN

Choosing between ECC and RtR

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 pm

apearlr wrote:We already own ECC, but have never used it because I purchased it 2 years ago, and a week later we found out we were moving to a new state. I packed ECC up and decided we could only accomplish the 3R's until we were settled. The move is what prompted us to join CC just to make connections with other homeschoolers. CC quickly became so time consuming that I was never able to get ECC out and attempt it.

Fast forward 2 years, they just completed ancients. So, the question is, would you put my soon to be 7th dd, 5th ds and 4th dd in RtR, or would you put them in ECC. Financially we are able to buy RtR, so don't factor in cost. My oldest loves cultures, but also has tremors in her hands, so the map work would be really difficult on her. As I type this out, RtR may be the way to go!

Any input on if jumping into the middle of the 5 year cycle would be detrimental because of some previous type of skill that is taught or built on? Thanks for any input you provide! (edit: My other thought is that if we did ECC, I wouldn't want to study ancients again in 2014, even if it did involve biblical feasts, etc. We used HOD alongside of CC (not fully) but we made a bunch of beautiful connections with ancients and Bible history.)
Well, I always think folks should do ECC first. I think the MFW office would say the same thing. Unless you have already done it or something very similar. More than the helpful geography, it's just a nice year of not worrying about fighting around the world, but instead learning to appreciate the world and to pray for its people.

After ECC, it sounds like you'd go to RTR. It sounds like you have the important Biblical foundations from CTG, and not just Egypt and Greece :)

As for mapping with your dd, I think you could try it and see. It's not overwhelming. And there are options. When my son didn't like the writing/coloring part, I gave him options depending on my goals in the particular map. Sometimes I was okay with just words/labels, sometimes just coloring the water so I was sure he knew the difference (LOL but I'm serious with him!). There were even times I offered him the option of creating a similar map on the internet. Say it was a map of all the deserts, he could find a suitable map using Google images, all filled out for him, then copy-paste it onto a Word document (and also copy-paste the website address to give it credit), write a little bit about what we learn from the map, and print it out. MFW does include mapping in all the years, so these kinds of adaptations could work with any year.

Does that help at all? I also bumped you up, so maybe you'll get more ideas,
Julie

apearlr

Re: Choosing between ECC and RtR

Unread post by apearlr » Thu May 02, 2013 4:20 pm

Thank you, Julie! That was very helpful. I really wanted to do ECC, but I wasn't sure if I should break up the history cycle. I appreciate the mapping ideas that take into consideration her inability to physically write well or small. She loves graphic design, and design in general, so I think she will really shine if she works on maps through use of a computer! You have me very excited to be more creative -- she also has food sensitivities -- so I'll get to be creative with the different meals, too! :) She'll be thrilled to hear we are doing ECC. THRILLED! I am relieved to not be dreading map work with her. I have tears in my eyes I am so relieved. Thanks for blessing me with your time and thoughts, Julie.
Anna
Mom and teacher to dd12, ds 10, dd 9, ds 4, dd 1.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 02, 2013 6:19 pm

apearlr wrote: I have tears in my eyes I am so relieved. Thanks for blessing me with your time and thoughts, Julie.
Aw, you made my day! If you ever get to a place where you need to brainstorm new ideas for a particular assignment, just post here some more and some of us like that kind of challenge :)

Julie

4myboys

Unread post by 4myboys » Thu May 02, 2013 7:06 pm

Some other ideas to help with the mapping:

1) Have her point to and tell you the names of the countries for you to write on the map for her.

2) print the names of the countries on sticker labels so she just needs to find the correct sticker and place it on the map.

3) if you number the countries (or whatever you are labeling on the map) she could type the names beside the corresponding number on the computer and print it to go in her binder opposite the map.

I am looking at splitting my history rotation to use ECC, also.

apearlr

Unread post by apearlr » Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

More great ideas! Stickers, labeling countries with numbers, and me writing for her are wonderful ideas, too. I am so appreciative! Thank you! Thank you! I am actually excited to get going on ECC here in a couple of months! I have been praying for wisdom, and seriously wasn't sure how God was going to present it as I am bushed right now. The Body of Christ is a gift.
Anna
Mom and teacher to dd12, ds 10, dd 9, ds 4, dd 1.

Julie in MN

Starting With Exploration to 1850?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:10 pm

our_arrows wrote:Is it possible to start using MFW with Exploration to 1850 instead of ECC? We've already studied world history and did world geography, and none of my children have studied American History. I was planning on continuing with [our current program] this coming year but with all the hands on activities and note booking planning I would have to do I started considering MFW.
Well, anything's possible! So that answers that question LOL.

I expect you're wondering what the down sides would be. I always like to evaluate the down sides and see if I'm okay with them. Or some folks make a +/- chart to see which side comes out ahead.

So... just from having done ex1850 with a 6th-7th grader, I'll give some things I'd think thru (some of it I'll copy-paste because I have thought through this before!). Maybe others will have other perspectives.

1. As far as skipping ECC, it sounds like your kids have a good foundation in geography. Hopefully they also have a foundation in enjoying the cultures and especially praying for others. It sounds like you have these covered.

2. As far as skipping CTG & RTR right now, you didn't mention how you had covered this era before. Do your girls have a solid foundation in how God created the world, and why the world fell away from Him? Do they get why history is bound to be so disappointing? Modern history can be very "close to home," so-to-speak, so a good understanding of the fall of man and God's efforts at redeeming us just helps it all not overwhelm kids.

3. Are your older kids pretty average or higher, so that stepping up the workload will be fine for them this year? Well actually, the biggest jump to me will be the next year, 1850MOD, in terms of things like amount of history covered, maturity of history covered, and the questions & writing using the outlining in SOTW Activity Book. Average kids should do fine with this transition at their ages, but a few kids will need a little more time.

4. You might end up then doing ancients in around 7th and 8th grades, and then starting over with the beginning in 9th? Sometimes that works out well, giving them a good preview before it "counts" in high school, and it gives you room to back off of intensive history during the 7-8th grade years and focus on rolling out more difficult math and science etc. But other families really want to think this thru.

Hope I bumped you up, as well, for more conversation as you think these things through,
Julie

Joyhomeschool

Placement?

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 am

hearts4him wrote:This year, my 1st & 3rd grader did SOTW 1 (Ancient history) and they did a geography co-op class. :~ I have read that it is not recommended to put a 2nd/4th grader into RtR, but both the kids were excited about going into SOTW 2.

I'm not against going into any of the programs. I like that if we did ECC, my oldest would still get all 5 years in before high school. I also am leaning towards ECC because I think it would appeal most to my younger child, whom I really want to involve more in school this next year. I'm not looking to do a super challenging program - BTDT! I don't want it to be to much review from what they learned this year in co-op, though...I do want them to get the Bible and missionary focus from ECC, and the game and cooking sounds like a blast.

SO...based on all I've said, what would you guys recommend?
I'll start by telling you what I did and you go from there... I used core 1 which is the first year in a two year world history course before starting MFW.

I had a dd in 3rd and we did ADV. Then ECC and then repeated history using CTG and RTR. CTG felt boring but we did it anyway. I'm glad we did because the bigger picture was more important. If you did RTR now in 2/4 then you will repeat geography with ECC and ancients with CtG anyway in 5/7 and 6/8. And you get into a lot of wars and things in 6th grade instead of 8th for your oldest. But if you start 2/4 with ECC you will finish the cycle with your oldest, in order.
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

DS4home

Re: Placement?

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:17 am

I would encourage you to go with ECC! Even if they learned some of it at co-op, it will be a different experience being completely immersed in it every day for the whole year. You will be going much deeper into the cultures of the people/places and the geography game will have them memorizing all the country names. You also get the benefit of wrapping the whole year in the Biblical focus that the Hazells put into the curriculum. You really come away with having seen the world through God's eyes. It's an incredible year! :-)

You are actually in the perfect position to be able to complete the whole 5 year cycle if you stay with MFW. So many people find MFW later and lament that they wish they could've completed all five years before high school! You will have no regrets. :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

TrustingHim

Unread post by TrustingHim » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 am

I think I would cycle through starting with RTR. Like you, we came to MFW after doing other programs. My oldest was in 4th grade and had already done Ancient History and Medival history but very little to no American History. I decided to put her in EX-1850 and it worked just fine. I did the add ons with my youngest. The next year, we did 1850-Mod (also with the add ons), and I did have to adjust some of the books for my oldest, but it worked out beautifully. We should have just kept cycling through, but we didn't. When we did ECC with my 3rd and 6th grader, my 3rd grader was lost. The only thing she enjoyed was the science. My oldest loved it, and, in hindsight, I wish we had kept plugging along, adjusting here and there for my 3rd grader. Like I just said on another thread, live and learn. Anyway, ECC is a great year, but I know for my kids, it was better to stay on track history wise since we had just completed the previous two years elsewhere, and cycle back around. And, I think my youngest will actually enjoy ECC in 8th grade when we do it and get a lot more out of it than she was getting. Like I said, my oldest loved the half year we did.

HTH!
Dorinda
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24

hearts4him

Unread post by hearts4him » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I'm thinking over these responses, thank you....would love to hear other opinions, too...

Another question - *if* I were to jump into RtR, would we have trouble/be behind with the Latin Roots program and art because we hadn't done CtG yet?!?