** Testimonies from Users, Even More!

Pylegang

What was your #1 favorite thing about your year?

Unread post by Pylegang » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:15 am

Regardless of what you studied this year . . . what was your A-#1 favorite thing about your school year?

I'll go first: I loved our Roman Feast. Honestly, I had dreaded planning and preparing for it, but I was spurred on by the eagerness and excitement of my boys. They were thrilled to dress up in full Roman costume and have an evening to share the things they'd learned during the first semester of our school year. Our dinner was delightful, but the best part was experiencing the deep sense of accomplishment and sweet pride in their well-done work as our boys walked us through their history notebooks. I hope I never forget the sparkle in their eyes that evening. It was sweet learning at its best!
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

dhudson

Re: What was your #1 favorite thing about your year?

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:23 am

Hands down, " A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God" by Patricia St. John (in 1850-MOD).
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:36 pm

Watching Ben Hur with our kids (probably not the greatest HOMESCHOOL answer, but TRUE).
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:43 pm

We did CTG. I'd have to say the feasts were my favorite, even though they are extra work, definitely worth the effort.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

RBS in OH

Unread post by RBS in OH » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:07 pm

My husband joining us for Bible time this year...and (may I add a second thing?)...the missionary read-alouds in ECC.
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:37 pm

Still being able to read aloud with my children...and them still loving me reading to them.

We loved all the books, but I think their answer would be the Patricia St. John books although Archimedes running around in the buff was a close second. ;)

For my high schooler... reading Unwrapping the Pharaohs, mine was our discussions over Money, Possessions, and Eternity. :)
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:58 pm

My favorite thing was probably going to a Civil War reenactment with the dc. Then reliving it in pictures and discussions when we covered the Civil War in ADV. :-) (I can't say enough about related field trips and what it has added to our year.)

And probably all of K. ;)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

blazingacres

Unread post by blazingacres » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Making the decision to bring our girls home for schooling!

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm

" A Young Person's Guide to Knowing God" by Patricia St. John (in 1850-MOD).
Ya know, I was a little skeptical about this book in the beginning, but it was SO wonderful. I can't tell you how many *great* discussions I had with my kids because of this book!

Other than that, the read alouds this year (1850-Modern) were so amazing. We all just LOVED every single one of them. My kids starting laughing at me, because I cried my way through several of them, but they were great!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:44 pm

I say the time with my dear children. There is nothing quite as precious as that except for my time with Jesus and my wife. We are doing ECC and hearing dd say "what country are we doing next. I can't wait" when we just started a country.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Finding My Father's World and switching to it in March! :-) It was an answer to my prayers regarding curriculum, and has brought so much peace and joy to our home schooling.
Last edited by gratitude on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

RB

Unread post by RB » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:56 am

My First Grade boy's excitement about reading his Bible reader!
He struggled so much with reading lessons (and attitude toward school) from November to April. Once he began the Bible reader, his motivation soared and he has been progressing well, though still with effort.
We were driving home from our Portfolio Reviews this week, and he said (in an alarmed voice from the backseat), "Mom! We don't really have to stop school for the summer, do we?"
"No, dear, I'll be glad to continue your lessons."
:-) :-) :-)
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 am

mgardenh wrote:I say the time with my dear children. There is nothing quite as precious as that except for my time with Jesus and my wife. We are doing ECC and hearing dd say "what country are we doing next. I can't wait" when we just started a country.
My boys also asked "what country is next?":) So nice to have them looking forward to what they were going to learn. We all loved the missionary biographies in ECC too.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Joyhomeschool

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:34 am

My Favorite thing about this year was actually completing a program! We did skip a few things here and there but we actually completed a program! Whoot!
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:03 am

My favorite thing about our year (ECC) was the missionary biographies. I didn't realize how much our family would enjoy these. We couldn't wait to get to the next chapter each day.

I asked dd(8) what was her favorite thing about ECC. She said it was the art we did with each country. I must admit we did not do everything but we did do a lot. She also said she liked just learning about all the countries.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:29 pm

Wow! What to pick. It was a really great year. I think my favorite would have to be teaching my ds to read using MFW 1st. There is nothing like teaching a child to read. This one was more of a challenge than my first ds, as I knew he would be. So I guess that is why it is even more gratifying that this squirmy, active, beautiful kid read through his entire Bible reader and is now reading Henry and Mudge books over the summer. In RTR we enjoyed many things as well, but I would say the reading for my 1st grader was the highlight of our year.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Our year hasn't been perfect by any means, but here are some of my "favorite moments" of this year, in no particular order:
1. our Mexican fiesta
2. Kingdom Tales
3. My dd's 1st grade Bible Notebook
4. Finding a great reading & spelling program for my dyslexic son & now he is really learning to read and spell! Yay!
5. My son being excited about learning multiplication facts
6. My dd's artwork placed first in her category and age group at our state homeschool convention AND she placed second in our state Junior Duck Stamp Art contest
7. Reading about Nate Saint and watching his story on the Steven Curtis Chapman live dvd
8. Watching my son play in his first piano recital
9. Helping my dd learn to play the violin
10. Pretending to "travel" to our next continent via planes, trains, helicopters, submarines, cars, etc.
11. Both kids begging to begin writing in cursive this spring! Go figure!
12. One more thing, seeing King Tut's ancient treasures at the Indy Children's Museum
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

s_duguid

Unread post by s_duguid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:39 am

My daughter's: Greek mythology
This really captured her attention as a lover of stories and fantasy.

Mine: Celebrating Passover
Probably because I immersed myself as I reprinted my own version of the Haggadah.

MY other favorite was intertwining Bible and history. I have been impacted for the better and have a richer sense of Scripture. Names of places and people groups have so much more meaning to me.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

Jami

Unread post by Jami » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:15 pm

My favorite things in ECC were trying out food from different countries and the missionary biographies. My son enjoyed them so much that I bought the entire set!

My favorite thing about first grade was that I taught my six year old to read! To me, that is a huge deal and has just opened his world up so much. I didn't think it would be easy with him, but with MFW's awesome first grade curriculum, he did great.

I asked my children and my ECC 8 year old said that he liked drawing pictures for the Geography From A to Z book every Friday.

My first grader said he liked illustrating the Bible stories in his Bible notebook the best.

Another of my favorite things was just learning everything right along with my children. I either never learned it or had forgotten the information and I was just as interested in it as my children were (or more so!).

I'm so excited about starting CTG in August!
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Jami,

My 8yo twin sons would have said the same thing as your oldest, loved the missionary biographies and drawing the picture for their vocab cards. A lot of other things also, too much to mention! I just wanted to tell you that I checked out your blog and you have the cutest family! God Bless you and your husband for the service for our country as well as in raising these little ones for Him:) Loved the ladybug party!
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

IdahoGrown

Unread post by IdahoGrown » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:28 pm

What a great thread!

Thank you everyone for sharing!
Jean
Mom to dd 13 and ds 8
Hs'ing since 2004.
Using Adventures and RtR 2011-2012

Previous cores used: CtG 2010-2011

JoyfulDancer

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:45 pm

My dds loved the Roman Feast best, ds loved all the science models we made, both human body and astronomy. My favorite thing was that I was able to add in a little about the Asian countries and Australia that we never got to in ECC due to moving when we did the history of those countries. I always felt a little guilty about having to miss those countries. Much to my happy surprise it all worked out this year. MFW is so cool!

TrustingHim

Unread post by TrustingHim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm

gratitude wrote:Finding My Father's World and switching to it in March! :-) It was an answer to my prayers regarding curriculum, and has brought so much peace and joy to our home schooling.
Us too! And the EASE of implementing. We had a horrible year and needed something that just got history done. We're so excited to do 1850-Mod next year. It's already purchased and on my bookshelf.

Blessings!
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24

lisaha

Unread post by lisaha » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:32 pm

My fave thing showed up later. The children had fun and enjoyed our year, but it's at the end of the year that I noticed the biggest differance. In the past years I peiced together my own things, we followed some Barnes and Nobles workbooks and I often required too much for them since I didn't really know how much they should be doing. At the end of the day and the year they would be done learning and had no desire to continue to learn, we all got burnt out, and frustrated with eachother.

This year we used Adventures, the only time I got stressed is if one child got sick and I was frustrated with staying up on the chart, not getting behind. I found out I wasn't as behind as I thought and I still finished by beginning of MAy with 3 hour days (sometimes 4 hour days)!

Here is best thing about MFW, the children learned to love to learn! They didn't get burnt out and they would read non fiction books and historic fiction books in there free time for FUN! They would be out playing and find a broken bird egg and run in to get the bird book to identify it! :) They started to pick out non fiction books from the library for fun reading and asking tons of questions about things around them. Summer break is here but they are wanting to continue learning and are rereading their Adventures books and doing projects we missed, on their own for fun! :) They went from dreading school to mostly days having non stop school! LOL! That is a huge blessing, I got into the grass is always greener thought and was looking around at curriculum, then I bought a few books and realized they were ECC books for next year. As I looked back on how this last year went and how the children have blossomed this year, plus how we will be having our 6th this year, I'm now thinking I should stick with what we know will work! LOL! Praying on it! :)

Penny†

3 days in and loving it!

Unread post by Penny† » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:34 pm

After homeschooling for years (this is our 20th) I just had to tell you how liberating it has been my first year with 3 children and using My Father's World for the first time! I know we are just 3 days in, but you just kind of know when it is going to be a good fit! We are getting through with everything so much sooner (or at all!) than last year with only 2 children and we are enjoying it!

I just wanted you to know how thankful I am for the Lord leading in this direction and for this wonderful curriculum.

We are using MFW K for my 5 year-old dd. My 4th ds and 7th ds are combining with Explorers to 1850 so they are doing Bible, History, read alouds, hymn, and music together with little sis joining along for some. We are using the Book of Time for our timeline and I actually think timeline may be a success this year for the first time. Sciences are separate because 7th grader is doing Apologia General Science. ILL is going well after doing it for 2 days and I love the approach. 7th grade ds is doing lightning literature also (very doable and I like what they are teaching). At this point it just feels good to be getting so many things done and having time for play, and extras if we are so inclined. Just wanted to share.

Blessings,
Penny†