Schedule - K-8 daily time frame (author response)

Julie in MN

Re: Random MFW Q's

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:42 am

JENinOR wrote:How many hours a day does each 5 year history cycle take up, excluding math and grammar/language arts? Is that four or five days a week?
Jen,
Just answering to agree on the time. Most of the individual years also have an archived thread showing many families' experiences.

When my son started MFW in 3rd grade, we were usually done with everything in 4 hours or less, plus we had one day off per week for co-op or field trips. However, it did help to have everything at hand, with materials ready and pages marked, so we didn't waste much time. And I'm sure it helped that I usually had just one student.

However, expect to spend a little more time at the older ages if you follow MFW's recommendations for gradually stepping it up in 7-8th grades. Now that my son is in 8th grade, he usually schools 6 hours, 5 days a week, including lunch. He does have about 6 hours a week in outside activities, so that would seem to equal a 4-day week. However, instead, we school 5 days and 3 of those days he has an outside afternoon activity for 2 hours. In some cases, he has "homework" on those activity days because he may not have finished his math problems or read his chapter, so it's closer to 6 hours every day than not. But it's never more than that at our house -- if ds works diligently, then I always allow him to be finished after 6 hours.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

sojen

Re: Random MFW Q's

Unread post by sojen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:07 pm

JENinOR wrote:How many hours a day does each 5 year history cycle take up, excluding math and grammar/language arts?
I am a clock watcher, so I'll chime in. We spend about an hour a day on geography/science. We are doing ECC and it takes more time than Adventures did. We do some of the advanced activities, but not all.

Bible takes 15 minutes max, but that will change in CTG.

I have allotted 15-30 minutes for music and art. Music usually takes much less time (2x a week) and Art often takes longer (1x a week).

On Fridays we only do Math and LA, so we can plan field trips.

We are an incredibly busy family. I have found it so easy to accomplish our daily tasks because MFW is so organized. And despite days that seem "light" I am shocked at how much my kids know. It's pretty impressive how hands-on activities and quality reading assignments produce such smart kids :-) My children will learn in spite of me!
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

NCJessieRN

Done by Noon??

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:19 am

gratitude wrote:It seems a few people have mentioned that the Hazel's curriculum is designed to be completed by noon.

Is anyone done with school by noon?

How do you do it?
Mine are 7, 6, 2 and 1 and with the toddlers it is impossible to be done by noon. Usually, we get half done in the morning and the rest done while the 2&1 yr olds are taking their afternoon nap.
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013

Julie in MN

Re: Done by Noon??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:41 am

Carin,
I've talked with a couple Hazell kids at convention, and they began school promptly at 8. Breakfast is done and floors are picked up and everyone is ready to begin, or bedtime will be earlier. I think that's key if you want to finish by noon. I think folks I know with large families just have to be organized like that.

I've also found that a lot depends on *my* being ready to go - books and supplies at hand, even pages marked. Then we have been able to finish, even with a few different things going on in the house.
gratitude wrote:My children are similar ages. At the moment 7,5,3, & 1. Sometime last year I had accepted a 9 - 3 school schedule with a lot of breaks, but I thought well maybe some others had found a way. It sounds like 8 is key. hmm..
I think it's better to say that a full MFW day is about 4 hours, however you schedule it - even with many subjects, even with many kids. So I think if you want to be done by noon, you'd have to schedule 4 hours of schooling before noon. (Although Fridays are a bonus.)

Over the years as our schedule changed, I had to remind both my son and myself that if we take lots of breaks, then the four hours is more spread out, no matter what time we started. If we start later in the morning, then we need to take time off for lunch, so the four hours is spread out over both sides of lunch. If we waste time searching for materials, then our 4 hours gets spread further into the afternoon. If my grandson participates in what we're doing, it may not take longer, but if we stop to play trains with him, the hours of the school day will "appear" to last longer even if it's the same 4 hours of work :)

My preference was always to do school in the morning and enjoy independent learning in the afternoon, and I felt it was good training. However, I liked having that flexibility to still get in a full education but move it around the day. I think I'm going to miss it now that we're heading into high school!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:15 am

When we did ECC, we were hardly ever done by noon (don't let that discourage you - we transitioned from Abeka to ECC that year, and dd had/has writing issues, plus I was doing brain integration therapy with her).

Last year, with CTG, *IF* we started by 8:15, we were done by noon. If not, we usually had about an hour after lunch - mostly spelling, writing, and probably going over math mistakes. I was also doing about 1.5 hours worth of Abeka K with my boys last year.

Haven't started RTR this year, but with my boys, it is taking at least 2 hours, to 2.5 hours just to do their MFW 1st grade stuff. So, I'm pretty sure we're not going to be done by noon this year. (I still haven't worked out how much we'll combine for what subjects yet, or a schedule, but I'll be adding in RTR on Wednesday.) But, My goal is to work with my kids until we can be ready to start by 8 or 8:15 and see if that helps, too.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:53 am

My twins (who are in 5th grade) are able to be done by noon if we start by 8:00. My oldest is in 8th so it takes him longer but a four hour window for elementary kids is doable.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:53 am

I know that I'd never get started by 8am so I'm planning on starting at 9am, taking a break at lunch and finishing up after. I'm going to make notes the first week or so on how long each subject is taking us so I can then make a more realistic schedule for us. I'm thinking that CTG is going to take us longer than ECC did last year. Mostly, because we are going to step up our writing, I didn't require much from the boys last year.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 am

Julie in MN wrote:My preference was always to do school in the morning and enjoy independent learning in the afternoon, and I felt it was good training. However, I liked having that flexibility to still get in a full education but move it around the day. I think I'm going to miss it now that we're heading into high school!
This would be my preference too Julie! I haven't found a way though yet to achieve it. :~

I have liked the time they have had this summer for independent learning. I think it has helped all of them. :)

I am looking forwrd to going back to our school days, but would love it if they felt more balanced and with more time for toddler play in the afternoons (My dd 3 doesn't nap, and my dd 1 is done with nap by 1; good night sleepers).

lisaha

Unread post by lisaha » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:07 am

In Adventures we were done in about 3 hours. Thus far in ECC we are done by 11 too. But we start around 8 (if the children are dressed and eat by 7:30, then they start math on their own then.) I don't let any subject go over 30 minutes, try to stick to the 15 minutes per subject thing. I have the older children do math, LA's, and spelling on their own and only help when asked while I play, diaper and dress the younger ones. Then my oldest does "school" with the Pre-K or Ker while I listen to Joshua's reading, then Joshua helps with the Pre-K or Ker while I listen to Abby's reading (if time is short I skip this and Abby reads on her own when the rest of school is done), then we have a snack and the little ones run off to play or cuddle and listen to Bible, science and Social.

So far this year we started with Bible, Science and Social all together with the little ones listening, cuddling and playing quietly at our feet in the living room, (They all love listening to books!) then we move to the kitchen table and Abby and Joshua do math, LA's ex, James has a K workbook and does work in that and Toby color's in a Pre-K book while LEvi swings in the baby swing. We end with Joshua Reading to me and Abby reading on her own and telling me about it later.

My children are Abby 9, Joshua 7, James 5, Toby 3, Levi 23 months and things will change in Nov, baby 6 is due then! :) I'm hoping to take 4 weeks off and the wear my baby and nurse alot while I teach. Unless Colic comes calling! I'll trust the Lord and not worry about it! :)

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:19 am

I thank there are several keys to the done by noon thing. If you read the Hazels how to fit it all in part in the TM. The Hazels train there kids to get up make beds, clean rooms, and make breakfast, clean up breakfast and I believe chores. They have to do this and be ready for school by 8 and they are usually done by noon according to the TM. They are focused on school and try to eliminate most unnecessary distractions.

So you either have to train your kids to get up and be ready by 8 and maybe train yourself to too. This might mean you get up earlier to make breakfast for your kids if they're not just having cereal (I don't let my kid make pancakes for example all by herself so she helps or I make it.)

Another key is being organized. If you are not organized and have everything right there ready to go it adds time. You also have to train your children or teach them how to work diligently. Some children do and some need hand holding to do it. I tell my dd the longer she takes to do whatever school work she is doing (usually spelling) the less time she will have for other things (I don't say for fun stuff because it tells dd school is not fun) like playing with her toys, reading books, time on the computer. So if you can point out to your child hey you spent 10 min moping or not doing your work the consequence (natural one) is less time for other things. If dd is taking way to long she looses play time or computer time.

Another key is the time the Hazels spend on each subject. Most things they spend 15 to 20 min. But it's amazing how much extra time things take when you or your kids dilly dally. The key is focused attention.

I think too that a lot depends on expectations if you expect something to happen it will more likely then when you are wishy washy.

You also have to take your child into consideration if your child is not neurotypical (has some learning disability, add, autism or some other issues) school is going to take longer. Your child may need more breaks or you may need more breaks.

I have a dd on the autism spectrum but even with her I have found when we start school between 8 and 8:30 we almost always get school done before noon. (unless she is having a bad day or I am :-) )But if we start at 9 we have a few things to do in the afternoon.

Another suggestion that Julie makes is having a set time for school. This means you do school from 8-12 or whenever. You only do school things during this time. That means not answering the phone, not doing laundry, chores, or any other things. And you end school even if a lesson is not finished (some people make it homework especially if child was lazy) You will have distractions but you don't have to answer the phone. And when you do have a distraction like taking care of a baby or preschooler if you teach your kids what to do during those distractions. Like I have my dd do her math drill or if it's not instruction day for math then she does her math or book basket or some other independent activity while I'm busy. But if your distracted and your kid doesn't know what to do the ten minutes you spent on the phone is wasted because your child wasn't focused on school work. If they know what to do you can eliminate 10 min of school time by doing some other school work they can do independently. I think this gets easier as they get older. It has in my case.

I think there are a lot of factors that go into getting done by noon many I haven't mention and each family is different and has different needs.

Try not to get frustrated with not getting done by noon. But if you really want to get done by noon take a look at the factors that are effecting you and see what you need to do. This won't happen overnight but you will make progress!

May God guide you as you decide what you need for your family
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

NCJessieRN

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:33 am

Julie in MN wrote:I think it's better to say that a full MFW day is about 4 hours, however you schedule it - even with many subjects, even with many kids. So I think if you want to be done by noon, you'd have to schedule 4 hours of schooling before noon. (Although Fridays are a bonus)
I agree with Julie. Our school has been 3.5-4 hours so I try to get 2hrs in the morning and the the rest when the babies are napping. It has been a challenge but for this season this schedule is working for us. In the next season (when the younger 2 are older) I would love to be finished before noon. I'll be praying for the Lord to help you with scheduling during this season.
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013

rawbanana

Unread post by rawbanana » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:22 pm

We start at 930 or 10 and are done by noon pretty much everyday.
We save the read alouds for after lunch though. I am doing ECC w/ my almost 10yr old, 8.5yr old and almost 7 yr old, and my 5yr old sits in on a lot too (she does phonics and handwriting as well). I also have a 2yr old boy thrown in the mix =)
However, we are only on week 6 of ECC and will be starting Spelling Power next week, so given that, SOME school may move to after lunch.
We do MFW suggestions for Language Arts, but use Math U See for math.
Hope thats helpful!

Anna
MY BLOG!
http://passionatemotherhood.blogspot.com/
Anna-mom of 4 girls, 1 boy
Savannah 09/00
Ariel 02/02
Skylar 10/03
Jaidyn 06/05[/color
]
Joshua 02/08
Started ECC July 2010!

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi! We haven't started back to school just yet, but we will be in a few days. I agree that we have never gotten to start before 9am, so we always have some school work left to do after lunch and our kids take music lessons so that adds some time each day.

I think that ECC generally took us around 4 hours, but we take a lunch break and sometimes a short morning break.

I wanted to say that although my goal used to be to get done by noon or lunch when the kids were younger, now it's okay that it takes up part of the afternoon because it works for us! I have studied that schedule in the TM and we generally do the same order of activities, but it allows no time for individual work with someone who needs it. It's okay if you have to add in some extra time with a child who is learning how to read or more frequent breaks for a child who needs them. I know training kids to be efficient with their time is a great goal, but don't beat yourself up if they are not there, yet! My children have improved each year, but they are still going to be working on transitions between subjects and being easily distracted. I'm still doing remediation work with my dyslexic/dysgraphic student that just takes more time! Of course he has inattentive ADHD, too, so sometimes we just have to take a break before he can be productive again. I also feel that in our case, it's easier to not have a whole lot of "free time" every afternoon when my children are wishing that the neighbor children would be home from school. We have some of that, but it's just easier for me to keep them busy and learning with our fun school activities from MFW!

I just believe that every family is unique and we aren't all going to fit the model schedule exactly, but it is very helpful to have a model to start with. :)
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

nacci527

Unread post by nacci527 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:59 pm

I think starting by 8, being totally prepared and organized, and only allowing a set amount of time for subjects. So if they aren't done with a subject in the alotted time, then they have to do it on their own after lunch. This goes for Math and LA and/or anything they can do independently. We use a timer sometimes to keep us straight. I also have the little ones scheduled activities/toys to use during school. I keep fun educational toys in bins and they are strickly used for school time and I alternate them weekly, so they don't get bored with them. The first few weeks are very tricky, but once we get into the swing of things it really goes quite smoothly.

Melanie A.
Melanie A.
5 children ages 10, 7, 5, 3, & 1
in our first year ECC
Ind. Consultant Usborne Books & More
http://readingispriceless.blogspot.com

gratitude

Stunned...

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:01 pm

Last year we often wouldn't start school until 10, and by then I had lost our early focus and we wouldn't finish until 3 and sometimes not until 4.

I asked a month ago for tips of starting earlier, to help my 3 & 1 get their needs met in the afternoon this year. I also wanted to take advantage of early in the day mental energy that my kids and I wake up with.

I am stunned! Today we started at 8:30, and finished at 9:50. We didn't have any hands on activities today, so that is part of it. But we actually have more work this year since my 2nd ds has started K. I also realize I do not have as much work to do as all of you doing ECC, etc. However, I am amazed. My life has been revolutionized. This is manageable and wonderful! Yesterday was 8:30 - 11 with more hands on activities.

Thank you MFW forum users! Your advice a month ago was invaluable. I have hope that home schooling will work for our family! :-)

beaglemamma2008

Re: Stunned...

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:33 pm

I can totally relate! I think 9 times out of 10, I'm my own biggest enemy when it comes to homeschooling! When I'm disciplined enough to prepare our week in advance, get things out the night before that we'll need for the next day's lessons, and get school started bright and early, we ALL end up a lot happier . . . AND we have more time to play!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

4monkeyz

34 wks?!

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 am

So I am drooling over my Adven. TM. ;) So lovely. Anyways, this might be OT, but I noticed that my TM has schedules for 34 weeks...Which is wonderful with the rate we get sick over here -- but I'm wondering if ECC is 34 or 36 weeks?? And what about the later years in the cycle, 36 weeks or 34 weeks?? Just curious. My hubby works within the school system and we are used to him being back in school beg. August (not that we like it, but that is "normal" for us). The ps system here is 36 weeks. So I was a bit surprised to find out we could start after Labor Day and be done by Memorial Day with breaks in between. Like when I was homeschooled. :-)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

s_duguid

34 wks?!

Unread post by s_duguid » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:15 am

4monkeyz wrote:So I am drooling over my Adven. TM. ;) So lovely. Anyways, this might be OT, but I noticed that my TM has schedules for 34 weeks...Which is wonderful with the rate we get sick over here -- but I'm wondering if ECC is 34 or 36 weeks?? And what about the later years in the cycle, 36 weeks or 34 weeks?? Just curious. My hubby works within the school system and we are used to him being back in school beg. August (not that we like it, but that is "normal" for us). The ps system here is 36 weeks. So I was a bit surprised to find out we could start after Labor Day and be done by Memorial Day with breaks in between. Like when I was homeschooled. :-)
If my recollection is correct, I believe the 5 year multi-cycle manuals are also 34 weeks. Allows for a little wiggle room if you need to take longer or for sickness, like you mentioned. In my state (NY) we have to teach the equivalent to 180 days/900 hours. I usually hit the target with hours and with finishing all subjects at 34 weeks. I guess if your school district expects 36 weeks you could have extra fun stuff. It erks me a little that the ps system here goofs off those last two weeks anyway, with un-educational movies, water day, etc. no learning whatsoever.
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

cbollin

Re: 34 wks?!

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:20 am

K = 166 lesson days
1st = 165 lesson days
ADV = 170 lesson days
ECC = 180 lesson days. the last 2 weeks are optional with same routines, but you pick the country

CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850MOD = 170 lesson days

High school = 180 lesson days.

if you have state laws to meet 180 days... field trips. 3 R's, and/or review topics for 10 days. Some days could even be "standardized testing" days. Game days. It's not that hard to fill 10-14 days.

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:52 pm

February seems to be our can't get much done month lol. Not sure why that is. Anyway I was happy to find the 34 weeks too. We are supposed to have 180 days but don't have to report attendance. I figure we will have fields trips and such too. Plus with the february challenges we gave it will with out. Nice to have some wiggle room instead of.180 packed days !
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com

Buttercup78

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:52 pm

It bugs me when curriculums schedule 180 days. We are required 180 days, so if you do the whole curriculum, you've got no days for field trips and stuff like that. I am amazed at people who are trying to figure out how to fill the extra days - I am always trying to pare down the work to 160 or 170 with other curriculums!

Well most high school currics have the 180 days, so I'm used to yhsy! Usually before we even start I will decide which chapter(s) to chop off! Of course we're through high school and won't get there again for quite a few years so we'll see how it goes!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (1991) 2012 Graduate
J (2003)

S (2005)
E (2006)
J (2009)

S (2013)
E (2014)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG - Starting K with my little guys in 2019!
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com