Non-USA - Using MFW Overseas (or in neighboring countries)

Mum In Zion

Non-USA - Using MFW Overseas (or in neighboring countries)

Unread post by Mum In Zion » Sun May 18, 2008 2:04 pm

cjsuel wrote:We will be moving overseas to be missionaries next year. I love MFW and am wondering how to make it work without our wonderful library. Does anyone have any ideas????? We are suppose to be in CTG, just finishing a great year with ECC.
Many thanks!!!
That is fantastic! Where are you moving to?

We are missionaries in Israel and have managed to use the MFW curriculum quite successfully with limited library resources.
We have an International School in Jerusalem and they allow us to use their library, small as it is. All the books there are in English. We also visit the second hand book shops where we have found a few books in English...usually not the titles listed in the TM but similar enough to substitute.

Whenever we are on leave (visiting family or raising support) I try to buy the books that I think will be most needed/beneficial. Thankfully we have several visitors each year from the USA or the UK and they bring books/supplies for me. I buy them and have them shipped (usually free) to an address in the USA or UK. Then having the books delivered personally saves us lots on international shipping and import duty (tax).
If you meet people who want to support your Ministry...suggest they help with the children's education by sending books. Don't be afraid to be specific about the type of books you want/need.

Is there anyone already in the area you are going to that can research what is available to you?

We will be starting ECC this fall. I am already making a booklist of "essential" books and other resources to look for while we are in the UK in August.

I hope some of this has been helpful.

I'm excited for you and your family as you start this new adventure.
God is so faithful...He provides for all our needs ...even books :-)

Blessings and Shalom from Jerusalem,
Michelle

cjsuel

thanks

Unread post by cjsuel » Sun May 18, 2008 11:27 pm

We are going to the east coast of Africa.
There are some people there that I can talk to.
You have excellent ideas and really got me thinking beyond what I "saw" was possible.

As I considered other alternatives I just kept coming back to MFW. I have loved, loved the family cycle aspect. I did not want to switch. I believe God led us and we found our fit and would be sad (but willing, of course) to change.

We are very excited so I truly appreciate your words of encouragement.
Please feel free to write again if you have any other insights!!!
Many many thanks.

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Mon May 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Hi Ladies,

We do have so other families in other countries using MFW. One of the things that I have heard that they do is actually order some of the resources that are used ofter(those are usually listed in the front of the book section. For ECC they will not be listed but any extra books on cultures are helpful.

Another thing that over seas users do is order the books that have an astrick by them in the book list in the T.M. and any other books that they think that the kids would like. By using such resources as Amazon or 1/2.com you can find books used and at a reasonable price.

If your budget does not allow I would try to at least have an Encyclopedia (CD version will work) for some extra info. or look for a couple of books that cover continents or different countries so that you have a few good books with pictures for the kids to "see" the culture they are studying. They will still learn lots through the books that come with the curriculum too.

Hope these few thoughts are helpful.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Book Basket Question

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:32 am

Robyn in TX wrote:I am so attracted to MFW and am getting excited as I read through the message boards. We are looking at the possibility of moving overseas in the middle or toward the end of the 2008-2009 school year. I am concerned about the Book Basket. My local library is not great and I am concerned that I will not be able to find the books listed in the Book Basket.

Is the Book Basket essential to MFW? If I have to take this curriculum overseas, will I be missing a significant part of MFW? Thanks for your help!
Posted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:28 pm
Book basket serves several functions. It is to help with learning bits and pieces more about the topics in the history and science lessons. It is to help a child to learn to read and not feel like they *have* to finish all of it, but just learn a little bit from it (the same way you would in a waiting room with a book). To enjoy books and to be able to enjoy different types of books to read.

You don't have to use the library. You can buy a few of the books. MFW Teachers manuals will list descriptions about them and some will have an asterisk next to them for really good books.
Robyn in TX wrote:Specifically, what do you (anyone) think about:
Is the Book Basket essential to MFW? If I have to take this curriculum overseas, will I be missing a significant part of MFW?

Thanks for your help to a newbie!
For more information about what book basket is and more opinions, also be sure to check the Book Basket archives. You'll find the archives are listed alphabetically by subjects to help speed up that process a bit. Maybe you've done that already and still had questions. It's ok to keep asking too :) just making sure you get a quick tour guide around the message board, that's all. Here's a link
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=19

In addition to what I already said about some of the functions of book basket....

Book basket is an important part of learning to enjoy reading books of many types. Is it essential to getting MFW done? All required books for the lessons are part of the basic and deluxe package. Book basket is there to enrich the study in history and science and other topics.

In my (not so humble) opinion I think the *functions* of book basket are an *essential* ingredient to my children's overall education no matter what curriculum is out there. Even if MFW didn't have book basket, I would be trying to do something like it. It provides Readers, fun reading, quick information reading, etc. If you do not think those functions are an essential ingredient in your homeschool, that's ok. Not trying to sound superior on that. Just trying to help you understand my opinion and trying to help you understand my answer a bit as I see your question is really two different, albeit related, questions.

Does it have to be the books on MFW's list? uh no. Will you have enough academics if all you do is the deluxe package from MFW? Probably. :) Book basket is about 15 minutes of the school day.

But don't let lack of a library discourage you from trying MFW. You will have lots of good stuff in the basic and deluxe packages. Plus any experiences you and your family have together on the mission field will make for a great time of learning and service together. And you can buy thematically related readers in other places too. One idea for that might be to look at buying some book packages from YWAM Publishing? I left some extra details on that on a different thread too :)

looking forward to others answers on this as well :)
-crystal

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 am

Posted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:08 am

Robyn,
Yes, book basket is an important part of MFW and adds the aspect of helping kids to learn on their own and to learn to love reading. We have loved book basket but there have been seasons over the last 6 years when I have not been able to get the books that I needed for a week or 2 or even a month. The program has still been very good when I could not get the books. We have used other options such as looking on-line for extra pictures and information. I have used books that I have around the house and an encyclopedia on CD-ROM.

Some curriculums come with a package of books and this is an extra cost. This is why MFW utilizes the library system. The books that are in the manual are ones that they have read and can with confidence recommend but as Crystal said you can use other books on the topic too.

In your situation, buying a few books to add to your lessons each week is a good option IF you can afford it and when you are done with them you can sell them. You may even be able to sell them to another MFW family who wants to buy a set too.

Would I still use MFW even if I could not get the library books and do book basket? Yes! The program is so good and well laid out that even without the extra books it is still worth doing.
Lucy

Mum In Zion

Using MFW in Africa

Unread post by Mum In Zion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:03 pm

JenD wrote:My family and I serve as missionaries in Ghana, West Africa. I am going to teach two of my sons using MFW RTR while here. Does anyone have any experience or advice with using MFW overseas? I tried to get most books while we were stateside but still ideas with how to use MFW here in Ghana.
Thank you,
Jennifer
Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:36 am
Welcome Jennifer!
I have not used MFW RTR yet. We have only used MFW K&1 so far and look forward to starting ECC soon.

We have really enjoyed learning with MFW even if we haven't been able to do everything suggested or read every book listed in the TM.

You will probably need to be more resourceful and creative in Ghana than you would at home. We do not have a Michael's or Hobby Lobby to visit whenever we need a few craft supplies. So not everything turns out the way you would expect it to in America :-) But that is not a bad thing. It is good to stretch the imagination.

I'm thankful for the internet. There are so many free resources (in English!!) to supplement our lessons. And of course, the internet means we have access to forums like this one when seeking advice or encouragement, or to share something wonderful.

If there is something more specific you want to know about using MFW overseas or about surviving on the Mission Field while homeschooling... this forum is a safe place to ask all sorts of questions.

Blessings,
Michelle

angieb

Re: Using MFW in Africa

Unread post by angieb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 pm

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:34 am
I am so glad to see other families using MFW overseas!!! We are in Tanzania, East Africa. We've been here almost 1.5 years. We were home on furlough a few months ago and I purchased the K curriculum and several books. We also bought a few Children's Encyclopedias. We plan to use the internet to fill in where we don't have books.

I read on the other post about checking with the International Schools about checking out books. That is a great idea!! We have two IS schools here so, I will be checking with them.

I have also found several books/resources at the local bookstore. Luckily the local upper level education here is taught in English. So, it is easy to find materials. The only problem is the quality and price!! :-)

Good luck to all of you in the mission field!!!

Mum In Zion

Unread post by Mum In Zion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:12 pm
Welcome angieb!!

It's great to have another overseas/missions family on board.
We are just finishing up MFW K and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm sure you will too.

Keep us posted how you get on using MFW in Tanzania....I'm interested (curious!) to hear about the challenges and highlights that other overseas families have with this curriculum.

Blessings,
Michelle

JenD

Unread post by JenD » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:31 pm
I am so glad to read of others who are on the mission field. Sometimes, I feel my family is the only one in our situation. The idea about international school books is great. I think there may be one in Kumasi. It is a smaller city so I am still figuring out how to buy food, and then I can tackle finding books. I bought some in the US at used bookstores, so we are okay for now. Do any of you order direct from MFW and have the materials sent overseas or do you have visitors bring them with them?
Thanks! Jennifer

angieb

Unread post by angieb » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:55 pm
Thanks Michelle!!

Jennifer, we try not to have anything mailed to us. We waited 9 months for a package once!!! So, now we try to have visitors just bring things to us. Which looks like what we will have to do. I contacted the International School and they will not allow me to use their library---disappointing, but I understand. :-(

I am curious, how long have each of you been in the mission field? Like I said, we've been here almost 1.5 years and will be here another 1.5, unless we extend out stay past our original three years.

Thanks!!
angie

Mum In Zion

Unread post by Mum In Zion » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:09 pm

JenD wrote:Do any of you order direct from MFW and have the materials sent overseas or do you have visitors bring them with them?
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:10 am
The postal system in Israel is usually very efficient. However, we still don't have large packages sent unless the contents value less than $100, otherwise we have to pay Import Duty Tax and that is often expensive. So our families can send parcels and mark them as a gift and put the value low, but when ordering direct from a company like MFW or Amazon the "true" value is on the box and then we pay the Tax. Also, postage is expensive, so we try to have visitors bring as much as possible.
angieb wrote:I am curious, how long have each of you been in the mission field?
We have been in Israel 8 years. We usually take a break every 2 years to visit family in Australia and spend time in the USA teaching and raising support. We don't have a time frame for how long we will be here....every year we must apply for a visa to stay in the country and it could be refused at any time. So far the Government Agency has not made it too difficult for us, even though they know we work for a Mission Society. PTL

We initially only came to Israel on a 2 week holiday....8 years ago. So if you are open to staying longer on the Mission Field, don't be surprised to see how God can open up the doors for you to stay.

Many mothers I meet are curious about how I educate our children, which opens the door to tell them about the Bible. Thank you MFW!

Blessings,
Michelle

JenD

Unread post by JenD » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:12 pm

angieb wrote:I am curious, how long have each of you been in the mission field?
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:45 pm
We served in Senegal, W Africa, for two years and then went to Quebec for one year of language study. We have been in Ghana for just two weeks.

Many blessings!
Jennifer

my3boys

Using K with 6 feet of snow?

Unread post by my3boys » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:30 am

liz217 wrote:Hi all. I'm a military mom of two terrific kids ages 5 and 2.5. We just received our MFW Kindergarten curriculum. I am really excited to start homeschooling. But, I live in an area that gets about 6 ft of snow a year.
Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:00 am
I'm not sure where you live, but we live in Northern Ontario and we get a lot of snow and cold here. I used to stay inside a lot, but I have three very busy boys and my house was beginning to be ruined by excess energy. Last year I invested in good boots and snow gear for everyone (yes, I wear a snow suit too) as well as an ice fishing sled to pull the little ones in for walks.
[more ideas at http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?p=44178#44178 ]
liz217 wrote:I live in Northern Japan. We've been here 3 years. You have a good point, getting out in the snow would be lots of fun. Now to find snow boots that fit ....

Mum In Zion

Should we skip Adventures?

Unread post by Mum In Zion » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:53 pm

Esther wrote:Although we're Americans, we're living in Asia and plan to be here longterm. We're currently enjoying MFW 1st grade and Singapore Math with our son. MFW is a wonderful curriculum and it was worth all the hassle and cost for us to ship it internationally!

The MFW internet site suggests using Adventure for a 2nd grader who is the oldest in the family, but we are concerned that a study that focuses so much on US history/geography may be a bit abtract for our child since we don't have much opportunity to travel in the US. We do quite a bit of travel within Asia and the South Pacific; we're wondering if ECC might be better suited for our son?
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:50 pm

We are an Australian family living in Israel. My son is finishing off MFW 1st Grade and we will be going on to use ECC. We have decided to do this for a couple of reasons...
1. We are not Americans, so spending a whole year on American History etc didn't really seem necessary for us.
2. We live in a very International community and we travel a lot, so it makes sense for us to study World Geography.

I spoke to David Hazel at a Conference in Colorado last summer. He totally understood our desire to skip Adventures and go straight on to ECC. His only recommendation was not to rush through it. To add an extra week to some countries, for us to add a 1 month unit on Israel and extend the Australian unit to 1 month as well. He suggested extending it to 18 months to give our son opportunity to mature before starting the History years. He didn't think a 7 year old was too young for ECC but he did think the extra time taken would be beneficial for the following years.

Blessings,
Michelle

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:54 pm

Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:05 pm

I would go with ECC just realize that he is only in second grade and keep your expectations at that level. Adventures wasn't always around and many a second grader has made it through ECC as an oldest child. Plan to spend extra time on Asia in ECC.

(you could easily condense the 2 week Antarctica study into one week to give yourself more Asia weeks, but shhh, don't tell anyone I said that)

cbollin

Anyone here military- especially international?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:02 pm

Hmschooling wrote:We would like to continue homeschooling of course and we want to be assigned overseas... Anyway, how does homeschooling in the military work. I understand stateside assignments you would just homeschool by that states laws. But what about other countries?
Posted Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:15 pm by cbollin

In addition to any helps/hints etc over here, I'd also recommend contacting HSLDA.

Here are some older articles on their website about some of this. I'd contact HSLDA and ask about the current information too.
http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000032.asp [Military Home Schooling Overseas]
http://secure.hslda.org/docs/hshb/38/hshb3809.asp [Home Schoolers in the Military—Moving frequently—how military home schoolers make this work!]

Looking forward to hearing from those in the know and thanks to all of you who are serving :-)

-crystal

mom24cutipies

Re: Anyone here military- especially international?

Unread post by mom24cutipies » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:04 pm

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:28 am by mom24cutipies

As a US service members family you fall under US homeschool laws which are overseen by they Dods schools in Europe. We were stationed in Italy and basically you have to do nothing. But the Dods schools allow your children to be part time enrolled so if you want them to do music, art, pe or any other classes you just enroll as a homeschooler and enjoy the classes you want. At least that's how it was in Naples.

In Germany homeschooling is illegal but that only applies to Germans.

GL on your journey and have fun oversees. Blessings
Karin, wife to my Schatzi for 11 years
Mom to
Kaira 9
Kayla 8
Keitaro 4
Karinna 2

http://mom24cutipies.spaces.live.com/

baileymom

Re: Anyone here military- especially international?

Unread post by baileymom » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:05 pm

Posted Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:07 am by baileymom

One more thing that might help answer a lot of your questions is a book called Today's Military Wife by Lydia Sloan Cline. I referred to it a lot when Brian was in Afghanistan, and we both used it a lot when we moved here in June.

It talks about benefits, social protocol, money, moving, living overseas, deployments...
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Mum In Zion

New to MFW - Living overseas and need some advice

Unread post by Mum In Zion » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:59 am

8shininglights wrote:I have posted a few questions, and I am still trying to make decisions. I am the one who has used textbooks for my 13 years of home schooling. I am ready to make a change!! I am very excited to see what God will do in my family. Right now this is my plan:

Year 12 son - Pilot? Still working through!
Year 9 daughter - Ancients HS (with Saxon and A Beka Science)
Year 7 & 5 daughters - ECC (with Saxon for year 7 and A Beka math for year 5)

Because we are overseas as missionaries, I have actually never "seen" the curriculum. I am going completely by what I have seen on line and reading these threads. I have enjoyed reading what people say because that is all I have to go on right now! We are heading from Australia to Indonesia in January (we are from the States though...we have been our agency's Australia base doing member care). We will begin MFW in October and heading back to the Northern Hemisphere calendar.

I would appreciate any advice that people have for me!!!! You all seem like a big family! :) I feel like I have some new friends!!! I do not know anyone home schooling where I live currently here in Australia (we were in Indonesia a few years back), so it can be a bit lonely......and people over here REALLY think you are crazy!!!!! We are Americans who do not send their kids to school......they wonder, "Are our schools not good enough for you????!!?" I have been asked that many times!!!! Aussies speak their mind! :-) But I am used to it!

Thanks!
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

Nice to see another Missionary family on the board. We are Australians living in Israel. If you think Aussies speak their minds.... wait until you meet a group of Israelies :-) The saying here is... "2 Jews, 3 opinions" ! But we love them anyway :)

So....
We are just finishing up with ECC. I used it as a Grade 2 curriculum for my ds with a Grade 1 dd sitting in on most of it. I used MFW1 for phonics and Bible (Reader and Notebook) and added Singapore Math. Then dd sat in on the Bible, Geography, Science and Art from ECC. She tried to participate as much as possible and I was surprised how much she could remember. I didn't buy anything extra from ECC for her but photocopied extra pages for her when I copied ones for ds (flags, maps etc).

The extra books listed to supplement each country looked great, but we don't have a very big English library here so we were not able to read many of them. I did find some similar ones, but not for all the countries. In hindsight I would have liked to buy some of them so we didn't miss out. I think that would have fleshed out each country and made it more interesting and "real" for the kids.

So if you are going somewhere without many English services, my advice is to look through the booklist before you leave Australia and see what you can purchase and take with you.

Most of the art/craft items from the Global Art book were easily accessible, either from things around the house or from the (very small) craft store. One or two items I had family send to us. The same for the science experiments.

Our printer/copier got a good workout during ECC. So if you have one of these, you may want to take extra black ink with you if it is more expensive or not easily accessible where you will be. The ink here is almost twice the price of what we would pay in Australia.

Just a few thoughts. Hope some if it is helpful.
Blessings,
Michelle

[editor's note: ECC now includes student sheets, greatly reducing the need for photocopies]

8shininglights

Re: New to MFW - Living overseas and need some advice

Unread post by 8shininglights » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Thank you, ALL, for your words of wisdom!! I do appreciate the time given to write replies to someone you don't know!!!
[editor's note: additional replies regarding specifics for each child were not archived but were shared by others on the board to help with placement]

Thanks, Michelle, for your note!! I am glad that another Australian has found MFW. We have been living in Australia for almost 6 years now in our growing mission base. Because our missionaries are mostly working in unreached areas of the world, many have to home school. Australians have struggled to find curriculum that is not so "US" orientated. We were just at our orientation conference a few weeks ago where I was asked to share about good options since I hs. I was a bit stumped what to say because I have been using textbooks that are VERY U.S.!!! In a way, that is what started me on this journey into new curriculum!! I am now giving advice back to the office on possible options that an Aussie can use. Michelle, I would love to hear more about your experience as an Aussie using MFW........... at this point, I would like to give this curriculum the recommendation for hs families. I did wonder how the "book basket" worked though when you don't have libraries and others to borrow from. Again, most of our workers are in the 10/40 window or in countries that are less than 1% Christian.

On a side note....I am Canadian, my husband and children are Americans....... My oldest son is not sure if he will come to the US for college. He is still lacking US History in his high school years (has one year left), and I am trying to figure out how important it is (in the eyes of the college in the States) for him to have US History on his transcript. I know colleges want it for those living in the States, but he has lived his high school years entirely overseas.

Thanks everyone for your time!!!
Lisa
Wife to my BEST Friend, Roger, for 22 years!
Blessed Mother of Victoria (20), David (19), Anna (16), Elisabeth (14), Rebecca (12), and Daniel (8)!!!!

JenD

Thank you!

Unread post by JenD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:57 am

Hello All!

I just was praying to God and thanking Him for MFW and wanted to let all of you know as well!
Last year, we began RTR and lived in Ghana, West Africa. Our mission moved us to Senegal, West Africa and now we are studying Ex1850.
Our family is having the best time memorizing the book of James this year. Each morning while reviewing and learning these verses, we have some great conversations. I am blessed b/c my husband can be at home while we meet and it is a great way to begin the day!
While I do tweek a few things for algebra and writing, I am so grateful for all the research the Hazells have put into offering a great curriculum that not only teaches my children but also glorifies God!

May God continue to bless your business and ministry!

Have a great day!
Jennifer Dalenburg :-)
Thies, Senegal
born in SC-USA

[editor's note: Continuing the story:]

Postby JenD » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:43 am
We began with MFW in RTR and my sons were 8 & 11. We are currently enjoying 1850Modern. Our sons are now 10 & 14(next month). We live in Senegal, West Africa and I believe my boys have lots of geographical knowledge.
Was going to skip ECC and begin CTG next year but I read the advice most given is to begin with ECC. We didn't do that when we began with MFW, so, what does anyone think is the best path to take next year? Realize that now I am so tired of power cuts, calls to prayer and Tabaski preparations that schooling my boys is the safest thing for me to ponder right now :)
Thank to all! Jennifer
Lucy Robertson wrote:Dear Jennifer,
Since you only have the two to consider doing CTG and AHL together next year will be complimentary. ECC can be used the following year by your youngest. If you had younger children this may not be the best plan, but with one child left in the cycle you can move the years in the 5 year cycle around more easily.

If you have any questions, please give our office a call at 573-426-4600.
Lucy

Julie in MN

New to MFW for 2010-2011

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:39 pm

mamabear23cubs wrote:I just ordered MFW, ECC for the fall. I follow the school system for grades so my children will be in Kindergarten, First and in Fifth. My gameplan is to use this program with all three children. I have ordered all of my subjects and now I am patiently waiting for my boxes to arrive. We are currently living overseas on a military base. Figure since it's a new year and country why not go for all new curriculum as well. :)
Hi and Welcome !!

We thank your family for serving our country. Wow, box day must be an especially big deal when the box has to travel so far. Party hats are in order!

Glad to have you with us. Enjoy,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Lucy

Could I have the Book Basket suggestions...?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 am

NicoleJ wrote:Hi! I understand that MFW has Book Basket suggestions and books lists to read, and I was wondering if MFW would email the list to me before ordering any of their programs?

the reason I would want to have the list first is because our libraries in Australia carry VERY LITTLE of the suggestions in any of the American curriculums' suggestion lists! I know, I have tried! So, I would have to source and purchase every book that I would be wanting to have in our Book Basket. Does anyone know if they would do this for little ol' me?? Is anyone else in the same situation?

Thanks! Nicole
Dear Nicole,
Thank you for your interest in My Father's World curriculum.

Each of our curriculums is complete and the library books are highly recommended, but optional resources used to enrich the weekly topics . It is not necessary to have the exact titles that are listed in the book basket section. Nor is it necessary to have every book on the list (each year has 300-400 books). They are just suggested books; ones we have read and thought were of good quality to enrich each weeks study. (We read hundreds of books to compile our lists.) Everyone has a different library situation so the list is just a guide. Titles marked by an asterisk are the ones that are considered the best of the best by MFW. These are the gems you may want to consider purchasing if you have the funds to do so.

If your library does not have the exact titles you will still be able to use MFW. You can simply look for books with similar subjects. The list is to help with your library search, not to limit or restrict you to specific titles. To use the list as a guide, search at your library to see what is available on the topics from the list. Look in picture books, juvenile, and adult sections. Don't forget videos too.

You might ask at your library about inter-library loan for books on the list that are marked with an asterisk (*) as these are really the best ones.

Another idea is to ask the librarian how they go about purchasing books. You may be able to give her a list of at least the ones that are highly recommended and see if she is able to purchase them.

As Julie suggested, take a look in the idea forum on our message board, http://board.mfwbooks.com/index.php , for the year you are currently using for other books past users have liked. These have not been reviewed by MFW.

For other questions specific to your situation, please e-mail us at info@mfwbooks.com and we will be happy to assist you.

Lucy

LA in Baltimore

Re: Could I have the Book Basket suggestions...?

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:53 pm

As always...Lucy summed it up beautifully. :-)
MFW Curriculum stands alone. I have often had to add a different book basket book from the ones listed because the library where we last lived was very overused and finding the listed books or waiting for them from other libraries got cumbersome. Each week lists the "topic(s)" of that week. You can use that to find whatever books would be available at your local library.
Even without access to the Book Basket Books listed, I would still HIGHLY RECOMMEND MFW to you.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

Julie in MN

Re: Could I have the Book Basket suggestions...?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:10 pm

LA in Baltimore wrote:Each week lists the "topic(s)" of that week. You can use that to find whatever books would be available at your local library
To get started on those topics, you can go to the sample of each level on the website and look for the table of contents.

Depending on the level you're ordering, there may also be threads about "favorites" in the archives, either in the "ideas" forum for the level you'll be using or in the book basket archive. If you want me to do a quick search for you, I'm pretty quick at it :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs