2nd grader - Adventures vs. ECC

momtogc

Re: Can someone help me with a 2nd grade question?

Unread post by momtogc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 pm

I know I am a late poster but I wanted to respond because I had the same question last year as dd was about to begin third grade. I struggled with the decision - shouldn't I put her in ECC instead of ADV? I finally decided on ADV and I am glad I did for two reasons.

Adventures has been a really fun study. It has allowed dd to "stay young" if that is the right way to describe it, rather than having to tackle harder material while she is still just a little girl. She is really strong in language and had already had some American history background before we found MFW but ADV has still been a great choice of curriculum for her. She has learned a great deal of US geography, the Bible study and history activities are great, the Jesus poster and the science projects have been wonderful! I think one of dd's favorite things to do was "writing" with a quill pen using berry ink, just one of the many great hands on activities this study offer. Earlier this week I was looking back over my dd's binders with all the projects and notebooking pages and I was very surprised at just how much we have done this year.

Second reason is that recently a friend who is using ECC for her fourth grader showed me all the things they have been doing this year along with her TM and the books they are using. I could easily see how much more in depth it is than ADV has been. ECC will be a longer, perhaps more "difficult" study for dd and while I am eagerly looking forward to it, I am glad we didn't do it this year for third grade. Adventures is a lighter day which is great for a younger child. I would truly hate for your child to miss Adventures when she doesn't have to. Since you are rather new to homeschooling, I think ECC could be overwhelming but ADV would be a great place to start for both you and your daughter.

I hope this helps. While ultimately you have to decide what is best for your own child, I do believe the better late than early idea really fits in this situation.

Best wishes!
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:40 am

We did ECC with my oldest (2nd grader) this year. God called our family to foreign missions and I knew I wanted my oldest to have an understanding of geography and missionary life that ECC gives as we thought we would be overseas full time at some point during this past school year. (Didn't happen that way--although we did get to go on a family mission trip overseas--, but all in God's timing.) While my DD got way more out of ECC that I thought she did (I overheard her "teaching" the little ones yesterday all about our world) I can't wait to do it again when we cycle back through and she can really GET it better. She got bored with the missionary stories after a few chapters no matter how exciting they were...she just wasn't ready to sit through listening to those stories yet. I'm not sorry we did ECC this year though.

The reason I'm writing is to give you another option to consider...when I first thought about doing ECC for 2nd grade, I posted on here about it and they why's of why we were going to do it. I got some really great advice. They suggested that if we did ECC for 2nd grade that we then do Adventures for 3rd grade. I was glad because I didn't want to miss Adventures. (That and ECC were the 2 programs that most attracted me to MFW.) But one of the reasons behind suggesting that is because although a child may do fine and be ready for ECC in 2nd grade, they may not be ready for CTG in 3rd and RTR in 4th and so on down the cycle. We tend to push our oldest children to do advanced assignments and such when they really may not be ready.

So if you decide to go with ECC this year--don't do any of the advanced assignments!! :) We didn't do any and we skipped the World Geography book altogether. Don't push to do those things your child isn't ready for yet. But then consider doing Adventures in 3rd grade to give your child another year before jumping into the history cycle. Adventures is written for a 2nd or 3rd grader who is oldest in the family so you won't be holding your child back by doing what most people do in 2nd grade for 3rd grade. This is what we will be doing this year and I can't wait!!

Hope that made some sort of sense (I'm tired this morning) and maybe gives you another option to consider. :)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

NCJessieRN

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:36 am

I agree with many of the other replies. I also wanted to skip ADV and go straight to ECC b/c it looked soooooo good! I chose to go with MFW recommendations and purchased ADV for my 2nd grader. We are almost finished with this year and I'm SO glad we did not skip ADV! My son has grown leaps and bounds with his reading skills. We have seen lots of growth spiritually as well. I LOVE the bible part of ADV! ADV seems like the perfect "in between" before ECC. I'm so excited to purchase ECC this summer but we have been blessed by ADV this year!
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:46 am

BHelf wrote: But one of the reasons behind suggesting that is because although a child may do fine and be ready for ECC in 2nd grade, they may not be ready for CTG in 3rd and RTR in 4th and so on down the cycle. :)
I agree with this. I did ECC with 2nd grader because I had no choice. Adventures wasn't written yet. Because of life circumstances (new baby. move, etc) I ended up taking 2 years to do RTR. We needed that extra year. My oldest is on track to do ECC again in 8th grade which works out perfectly. I think the subject matter for 1850MT is most suitable for middle school as well. My 4th grader did fine with it but my 6th and 7th graders were a lot more interested. Everyone has enjoyed the Bible and read alouds in 1850MT. I really like the thought of ECC in 8th before starting High School. I am looking forward to it.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

schoolmom2

Order of MFW History?

Unread post by schoolmom2 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:27 am

gratitude wrote:I have loved doing Bible History for Grade 1, which we are finishing up this month.
Why American History next?
What are the benefits of going from America to world geography/missionaries to chronological history?
Thank you! :-)
I am no expert on these matters, but here are my personal thoughts:

We started with Adventures last year (even though my oldest was in 3rd grade) because there are just so many things that kids don't "get" unless they have a basic American history background. When we would talk about Martin Luther King Jr., it became necessary to dig a little deeper into the "why" of what he did. I made a reference to Babe (Paul Bunyan's blue ox) and my kids just gave me the blank look. I was embarrassed that my kids didn't know the words to The Star Spangled Banner at the AWANA Games. The kids in my son's public school 1st grade had no idea why we celebrate Thanksgiving. My son was so excited to go to New Mexico because he thought it was a different country!

We are doing ECC this year, and I see why an in-depth study of geography is so important before launching into history. We were discussing a Sunday school lesson the other day about Egyptians, and my son put 2-and-2 together regarding the desert biome and Egyptian burial practices. My other son came up with the thought that "stone-age"-type groups were still living near the equator in the 1950's because they didn't have to think so hard about staying warm (we live where it's cold, and we love whomever invented our heater!). I don't think that's a thought I had until college Anthropology courses!

I am so excited to start our history lessons next year, and even more excited that they will be sequential. I was public-schooled my whole life and never understood how history fit together as a whole because it was so all-over-the-place!

On a practical note, I don't think that ECC would have been a good fit for our family last year (1st and 3rd grades). Adventures was a good, fun,gentle intro to homeschooling, and I think ECC would have been a bit much for them and me!

Hope that helps!

momsflowergarden

Re: Order of MFW History?

Unread post by momsflowergarden » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 am

I think that one of the things that might be a good reason is there is sometimes subject matter in Ancient history that is better left until the child is just a bit older. We are starting CtG after Christmas Vac. and my two will be 10 and 11. I wouldn't have wanted to do a study of ancient history a couple of years ago.
Be Blessed
Sandy
Mom of 5
Homeschooler of 2, ds 10 and dd 11
Using CLE Math, Calculadders, PLL/ILL, Rod and Staff spelling, AND MFW ECC for History, Science and Bible.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:54 am

gratitude wrote:I have loved doing Bible History for Grade 1, which we are finishing up this month.
Why American History next?
Carin,
Great questions! love it!
Have you seen MFW handouts on stages of learning and cycles of history? try this link
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 11&#p52711

For the oldest child in the family, the reason is that it finishes the "early grammar stage" chronological history. MFW likes that kind of classical education cycles:

Cycle 1:
K: creation and who God is. it is also a time of Kindy age geography and missions unit. (that's why the badges are encouraged to be shared in some fashion with others outside of the home)
1st: history from creation to the time of Jesus. So that is the "ancient history" for that age, but done via Bible reader.
ADV: quick review when Jesus was born, jump 1000 years in history (for age appropriate reasons) to Leif Ericcson, then jump 500 years or so to early explorers of North America. And learn the basics of US history through modern, since that is the country that most MFW customers either live in or have direct ties to.

so that ends cycle one for students coming up through the program. Students new to MFW who might starts in ADV, well, don't sweat the chronological stages thing. It's fine to start with history that is the closest to you when oldest is in that age. Several reasons that schoolmom2 gave are spot on. If we live in the US, it really is helpful to have a basic knowledge of our country.

What are the benefits of going from America to world geography/missionaries to chronological history?
Thank you! :-)
ECC begins the 2nd cycle of history with different stage of learning.
so, we've cycled back to geography and missions to set the stage for understanding history and making connections (as was already mentioned.) Then, knowing where things are in the world today and getting a love for prayer for others, then it's time to go back and study more of the Old Testament and ancients now that the family is older. and then it continues. In that stage and cycle, more details are added that weren't covered.

I probably left out other benefits....

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:09 am

Thank you ladies!

These are great answers. Very helpful. One of the reasons I switched to MFW last year was for the more gentle approach for young children. It is wonderful to be reminded of the reasons 'why' older ages are better for CTG & ECC. If we had stayed with SL we would be doing a combination of missionaries, geographies, & ancients this year; and truthfully I am very glad that we are not. It sounds overwhelming with a 1st & K. Your answers really touched my heart, and are a beautiful reminder of their innocence. I know there are many topics in the missionary books that I am not ready to share; nor Homor. Thank you for the constant reminder I need to take it slow.

Some great reasons were mentioned too for studying American History! I was wondering, and it is good to be reminded that yes of course they need to know about the country we live in! For many good reasons! Besides I love American History, a gentle approach to it should be fun.

I printed out the MFW scope & sequence. Thank you.

We have been praying a lot about curriculum for the last 3 weeks, and God gently led me back to ADV through a lot of learning on the way. Some of the learning though is inspiring me to learn some more about World History that I don't know! I thought it might help me in a few years when I teach it. I am glad though to learn the 'why' and 'benefits' to this order. I think we are on the right track, and that is always a great place to be with home schooling! :-)

Blessings! :)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:53 am

I think another thing is that young kids need to start with just understanding the world they know.

My older kids learned about the wider world in traditional textbooks and I always had to convince them that people like Egyptians and Native Americans still existed! They just weren't old enough, I think, to absorb it all. And it wasn't built on a clear framework the way history is in MFW :) -- where they understand *what* and *when* they are learning about all the time.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Julie in MN wrote: My older kids learned about the wider world in traditional textbooks and I always had to convince them that people like Egyptians and Native Americans still existed! They just weren't old enough, I think, to absorb it all. Julie
This is a great point! We read Little House on The Prairie to the kids last summer and also happened to take a ferry boat to a near by Island that leaves from the reservation (about 15 - 20 minutes from home). They were expecting the Native Americans to look like the Indians in the book with ponies and native clothing. I think they were a bit surprised to see the Native Americans fishing in the water with motor boats and American jeans & clothing.

jasntas

ECC before Adventures

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:08 pm

HiddenJewel wrote:Does it work to do ECC with a 2nd grader and then doing Adventures in 3rd? The emphasis is ECC is exactly what I want for my 2nd grader but do not want her starting Creation to Greeks until 4th grade. So thought perhaps the American history emphasis in Adventures would fit for 3rd grade before starting the cycle. Does this work? She is oldest of our second set of little ones. (Her older sisters are in high school so have their own history material.)

Thank you.
Well, ADV is written specifically for 2nd-3rd graders and ECC is a step up so I think it might feel like you were working backwards and you may abandon ADV all together the next year.

ADV sort of lays the groundwork for ECC. It was a nice intro to geography and history. We loved that year and I didn't think I would like ECC as well but I probably like it better which is another reason I wouldn't want to do ECC first.

And... last year was our first year with MFW. ADV was a wonderful introduction. I think I may have felt a little overwhelmed with ECC. I would probably have tried to do it all. :~

Just my humble opinion.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: ECC before Adventures

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:25 pm

HiddenJewel wrote:The feeling of working backwards is a big concern of mine. How does Adventures build a foundation for ECC? They seem to be very different topics.
One thing that pops into my mind is that it seems very beneficial to understand "the country around us" before learning about "the world around us." ADV is social studies closer to home, and easier for a young mind to grasp.

It's also a gentle intro to the flow of MFW, using the grid and the book basket list, etc. The days are scheduled to be shorter, and I believe there are more hands-on activities. It is definitely geared to a younger audience. You will be skipping parts of ECC to teach it to a second grader, then beefing up ADV to teach it to a third grader.

There are plenty of people who include a second grader in ECC with older siblings, and plenty of people who start an oldest child in third grade with ADV, but to me it would really have felt like going backwards to do ECC first.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Well, yes, they are very different topics but, for instance, ADV covers U.S. geography. Then ECC expands on that and covers world geography. So it sort of starts with the immediate world around you with ADV. Then expands to the farthest reaches of the earth with ECC.

I hope that makes sense.

Hopefully, others will find the time to chime in and give a different perspective as well.

In the end, whatever you think is best for your situation is what I would go with. :)

Thanks Cyndi. She was typing at the same time. :)

HiddenJewel

Unread post by HiddenJewel » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Cyndi (AZ) wrote:One thing that pops into my mind is that it seems very beneficial to understand "the country around us" before learning about "the world around us." ADV is social studies closer to home, and easier for a young mind to grasp.

This issue is not as important to me as others might be. Closer to home can be easier to grasp but I don't think it is outside their reach to learn about people outside of their close world.
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:It's also a gentle intro to the flow of MFW, using the grid and the book basket list, etc. The days are scheduled to be shorter, and I believe there are more hands-on activities. It is definitely geared to a younger audience. You will be skipping parts of ECC to teach it to a second grader, then beefing up ADV to teach it to a third grader.
The shorter days are definitely a reason to consider starting with ADV especially if it means being able to fully do ECC the next year. There looks to be too much good in the program to miss it.
Cyndi (AZ) wrote:There are plenty of people who include a second grader in ECC with older siblings, and plenty of people who start an oldest child in third grade with ADV, but to me it would really have felt like going backwards to do ECC first.
Thanks.

BHelf

Unread post by BHelf » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:50 am

We did ECC in 2nd and Adventures in 3rd. Our reasons were because we wanted a missional/cultural focus for our DD as we were preparing to go overseas to do missions. (Which didn't end up happening when we thought it would.) And like you, we didn't want to start CTG until 4th grade.
It IS doable, but you have to really know what to cut out of ECC to make it not overwhelming to your 2nd grader. There is a LOT to do in ECC and if you try to do it all, you and your child will have a not so fun year. Science concepts is an area I can think of that might be over a 2nd graders head. (Some of them.) Adventures is much more gentle.
My honest opinion, is that you can make it work most definitely but I think it would probably be easier to do Adv first. However, I don't regret doing it "backwards" so to speak. ;)
HiddenJewel wrote:Thanks, Brooke. I have been looking at Adventures and could see it working even though the missionary emphasis of ECC appeals to me more right now. But I know I want to do ECC when she can absorb it the best and so that means waiting.

Thanks, Everyone, for all the input.
You could always check out YWAM Publishing (google it) for stories to add to Adventures for fun reading time or when other read-alouds aren't scheduled. They have tons of great resources for kids and missions, including a kid prayer journal and stories geared towards children. If you get the adult versions, I suggest previewing it yourself first. Some of the missionaries face major hardships or deal with issues that you may not be ready to discuss with your child. But even the Viking Series of books they have would go great at the beginning of Adventures when studying Vikings. And you could also go ahead and get Window on the World from ECC and begin praying for people groups around the world. Even if you duplicate ones prayed for in ECC, it never hurts to pray extra! :)
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

jasntas

ECC for Second Grader?

Unread post by jasntas » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:40 pm

erin.kate wrote:My oldest will be in second grade (turning 8 in November). She has done MFWK and MFW1. She is a fluent reader (thank you MFW!) and loves loves loves school.

I ordered Adv but I am just not taken with it like I wanted to be ... hard to articulate.

In this moment, Mae loves all things Jesus ... she shares her love for Him, tells her friends about Him, brings her friends to Him, prays for others beautifully ... and we are bringing home our adopted son from Ethiopia (4yo) in a few weeks so she has a heart for Africa and her people in a special way (we just returned from there last weekend).

I feel compelled to skip ADV and do ECC, which has been the year I have drooled over from our start with MFW.

I know that some of you (Crystal ... :-) ) were MFW pioneers and didn't have ADV and started with ECC.

My middle two Kindys will do MFWK and tag along with ECC as they desire, though Josiah (Ethiopia) will mostly learn to be part of our family and learn to be a happy, safe little one ... lots of arts, crafts, nature, playtime, etc. No pressure for either of them to do more than learn to love to learn with MFWK.

What are your thoughts on ECC for my second grader (eldest) who has completed MFWK and MFW1? I realize that in 8th grade she would do CTG and then back to Ancients for 9th grade, but we can cross that bridge way down the road ... Thank you so much!!!
It's funny that ECC was what drew you to MFW. ADV was the draw for me.

I believe the reason MFW wrote ADV was because most firstborn children were not mature enough for some of the content in ECC in 2nd grade. I could definitely see that with the missionary bios.

One of the draws for me with ADV was learning the names of Jesus and that the science usually tied in nicely with the Bible. And the bonus was an introduction to American History. :) Also as I remember, there were lots of opportunities and suggestions for doing things for others. For instance, when you study that Jesus is the Bread of Life, the science is to make bread and take it to a neighbor or shut in.

You could possibly do a mini study of Ethiopia this summer or start the school year off that way. IDK. The study of Africa in ECC mostly just covers Kenya but I'm sure you could expand on that when you got there.

Just some random thoughts while you wait for other replies. :)

Julie in MN

Re: ECC for Second Grader?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Your kids are young enough that you could do ECC and then ADV, if you needed to back down for a bit. By that time, maybe your new little son would enjoy learning a little about the USA with the family?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:42 pm

erin.kate wrote: I realize that in 8th grade she would do CTG and then back to Ancients for 9th grade, but we can cross that bridge way down the road ... Thank you so much!!!
I "pioneered" that route too. :)

I've never thought of myself as a mfw pioneer. I mean, I'm no Shelly B, or Carol K, or Lucy, or that lady in MN (not julie uh... joan?). But, I know what you mean (I was around before ADV was written), and I had to laugh out loud at myself.

Let's assume that it's a prompting from the Holy Spirit to not do ADV this year, but maybe in 3rd or something. I'd suggest considering ADV in 3rd. before jumping back to CTG. I didn't have too many issues in ECC, but I trimmed and things like that, but CTG and oldest in 3rd, I was feeling like I wish she was a little older and then, bam! they write ADV.

from the been there, did that route with 1st version of ECC (when it was written in mind for grades 2-6 and Marie had no intentions of writing a jr. high or high school program !) I have some suggestions:

*serious serious scale back of Properties of Ecosystems. That was added in 2009 with understanding that they were going to be a little older. Enjoy the "blue box" activities. Maybe learn one new vocab word in unit. enjoy pictures. focus on the nature walks, and animal books, and Living World.

*don't fret the first two weeks if your 2nd grader doesn't fully understand latitude and longitude. you have all year to get it. intro it the first weeks. :)

*ignore all advanced assignments.
*ignore all advanced assignments.
*did I mention what to ignore?
<grin>

enjoy the crafts, food, music, flags, puzzles, games, passports, stickers. In other words, treat her like she's a younger sib in the program. Atlas books -- picture time and couch time.

Honestly, I'm very much in the do ADV before ECC camp if you have oldest in 2nd or 3rd grade. I've heard too many people who try to scale back for oldest who is 7 y.o and end up not liking mfw. Plus, you get to make toy foil boats in the ocean, and eat berries and make berry ink. and it gives you time to do light US history.

but if God is the one leading you to do a scaled back ECC.... I hope my tips help you to avoid pitfalls I experienced. and no worksheets are needed.... if you want to add the world geography pages, wait until at least Europe to intro one... don't bother in North Am. or South America. just not needed....

well.. my family is back together... dh and oldest just returned from short term missions trips. I loved hearing how one night they were at a university with students taking English. The professor, who was a Russian native teaching English to Mexican students, had our group doing small skits about a major US holiday (4th of July) and did a simple fun hot dog cook out, and they practiced speaking and then played soccer together, and did a small Bible study together. So, keep it light and fun to learn other cultures and places.
just wanted to mention that.
erin.kate wrote:Thank you for all of the replies. And, to Crystal, thank you for taking so much time to share your ECC-with-a-younger-child experience. This gives me a lot to consider. I am not opposed to trimming ECC this year since she'll revisit it in 7th grade, which is a time when I'll have a 7th, two 5th, and a 2nd grader in it so this might be a good year for it with just my oldest. I just don't want to have to whittle it down so much that the heart of the program is lost.

I will think more about how this will affect her immediate jump into the history cycle with CTG in 3rd grade -- maybe that is too young. Hmm.

Even if I waited one more year, until 3rd grade for her maturity level, then my middle two are in 1st grade and I don't think I'll do MFW1 with my daughter since she's a fluent reader already and she sat in on MFW1 this year ... so she'd be in 1st grade with ECC. Still young then for her. Ugh. So much to consider. Thank you, again!
When it's the younger siblings in ECC, we tend to teach them differently than when our oldest is doing it. So, I wouldn't worry too much if a younger sibling is only 1st grade while olders are in ECC. The first grader should focus more on 3r's (using mfw or whatever you want) and be invited to join in some fun stuff. They wouldn't focus on ECC as main food, but as dessert. They pick up a lot of what they need.

To get the heart of ECC when you trim it down: focus on the Bible (reading book of Matthew, and John 3:16 in many languages, Bible translation, praying for people, character traits.) I already mention geography and science. The idea is that around the world, people are very much the same, and things like different food, houses, toilets are just interesting fun things. and that many cultures have food similarities even if they have different names (flat breads, meat/veggie filled dumplings)

I dont' know what God wants your family to study. But I do wonder if with ADV being a little less to do each day, might be a good thing with all of the changes coming up.
"I ordered Adv but I am just not taken with it like I wanted to be ... hard to articulate. " -- if you begin to be able to articulate what's not clicking with you, maybe those who had done it before can help with ideas, or something. I know it shouldn't matter (but it does), lots of the spines in ADV don't look as appealing or flashy.

when I did ECC the first time, I had no heads up on anything (never heard of message boards, etc). I never heard of any of those missionary biographies except Livingston (I knew the phrase Dr. livingston, I presume?) that was it. I know everyone has different opinions on books, but we did ok with Marie's notes.

that's not helping any :) but maybe as you start to decide on ECC vs. ADV, if you can figure out what's making you consider changing it all.... ask. Maybe she just needs to do a free style unit study on Africa during some of the light and independent Friday's in ADV instead of all of the world?

-crystal

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:20 am

A couple of thoughts:

*ADV didn't appeal to me either at first. I wanted to skip up to CTG for 2nd grade for next fall (it just seemed like a natural continuation of MFW1), which Crystal wisely advised against! Here are the other things that changed my mind:

When I listened to David Hazel's CD he mentioned that in the first cycle of MFW they like to show the oldest that first we are Christians (MFW1/Bible) and second we are from the country of America. It took me months to realize the value behind the reason. I wanted to teach the world first and America second, but then I realized what he said made a lot of sense, and further my son is interested in knowing more about our country.

CTG sounded better for 4th than 2nd or 3rd.

Doing ECC in 3rd would allow me to do it again with a 8th & 7th & 5th & 3rd grader, which sounds like a lot of fun. I really really like the idea of doing missionary studies with two boys in Junior High, before the oldest goes into High school. At an age when I think they could really benefit from learning about God's heart for the world. I like the idea of all of my children being old enough to really understand ECC as a family during that year (we will see with the youngest). Maybe even do a family mission trip that year. I like the idea so much I may circle back to do God' Heart for The World in ECC with an 8th & 6th grader before my oldest girl goes into high school. Another family mission trip that year with my two sons still in the house would be good for that year too. Just thoughts...

Most of all I started thinking about what my oldest needed for 2nd grade. I really stepped back to look at where he is at. (I tested his reading, and he is at 5th grade level, and still ADV looked best for him). I started to ask God, "what is best for him"? Well ADV was the answer. It isn't what I wanted, but I think it is what he needs. We started last week, and it is going very well. I am enjoying it too! :-)

So just a few more things to think about. Blessings for your decision.

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:14 pm

cbollin wrote:I dont' know what God wants your family to study. But I do wonder if with ADV being a little less to do each day, might be a good thing with all of the changes coming up.
This is exactly what I was thinking. ADV was a lighter year compared to ECC and with the changes you have in store, you may end up welcoming the lighter days IMHO.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:36 pm

jasntas wrote:This is exactly what I was thinking. ADV was a lighter year compared to ECC and with the changes you have in store, you may end up welcoming the lighter days IMHO.
I was thinking the same thing too. Another reason, of my many, that I choose to stay with ADV, and I am glad that I did, is that we have an across state move coming up along with a new job for DH. I think the lighter year would possibly be welcomed by you too as you add a 5th child who is already walking and talking! Interestingly, I thought of you today as our small group pastor gave a sermon for Father's Day. A big part of the sermon was him talking about the 4 children they have adopted from Ethiopia.

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:49 am

You all have been a tremendous help in finding our right path for next year. I explained everything to my dh and we prayed about it and we've decided to do ADV and enrich the spine with A Living History of Our World, which I love so much, and with Aunt Bessie's Nature Walk from Queen. (ETA: Dropped the idea of adding WinterPromise science. Going to go with the suggestions that less is more and enjoy Adv as it was lovingly written). I am also going to try my hand at learning and teaching Waldorf-inspired watercolor and crayon coloring with my children.

ADV will also be a good for my 5yo to tag along with as she desires, moreso than ECC. And, as some of you suggested, it will allow me the grace I'll need with our new little boy from Eth who will need so much more than reading and writing.

I have also really taken to heart what was said about learning about Creation first, then America, then the world. I can see the beauty of this from a child's perspective and level of thinking.

So, we'll be with ADV and K for our upcoming year. Super excited to be settled and peaceful in MFW again! Many many thanks for all of your help and experiences. So grateful.
gratitude wrote:Interestingly, I thought of you today as our small group pastor gave a sermon for Father's Day. A big part of the sermon was him talking about the 4 children they have adopted from Ethiopia.
I love the family that is MFW. Thank you so much for thinking of us. That makes me smile.
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

momtogc

Unread post by momtogc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Your story is similar to ours - I wanted to skip ADV, too. It was not appealing to me because my dd was going to be in third grade, and she read on a very high level. But I took the advice of Moms on this board and did ADV after all. Everyone told me how much they loved it, how fun it was, how glad they were to have not skipped it.

It turned out to be the right choice *for us*. It was so fun for my eager to learn daughter, had so many neat hands-on activities, things that I thought would be too babyish for her but they were oh-so-great. She loved it. I loved it. Because of our experience, I would never advise anyone to skip Adventures even if the child in question is capable of doing the ECC work. jmho :-)
Mom to Gabi, a fun-loving and happy girl!
MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp-1850

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:02 am

momtogc wrote:But I took the advice of Moms on this board and did ADV after all. Everyone told me how much they loved it, how fun it was, how glad they were to have not skipped it. ... Because of our experience, I would never advise anyone to skip Adventures even if the child in question is capable of doing the ECC work. jmho :-)
Thank you! The ladies on this board have helped me so much in my lengthy decision, so they are a HUGE part of why we decided to go with ADV. I'm so happy to hear that you really loved your year!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

Cyndi (AZ)

Placement? Did American history in 1st grade

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 pm

hearts4him wrote:My oldest is a 1st grader this year. We are doing American history. My shelf basically looks like the MFW catalog page for the Adventures year, although it's all collected on my own - no MFW guide.

I'm feeling a tugging on my heart for MFW for next year - so, 2nd grade (our homeschool convention is after we've already started school for the current year) but I'm not sure where to go! I'd love to do Adventures, but feel it might be too repetitive. We aren't going into states or the Biblical portion this year, but we are studying early American history and reading all the read alouds scheduled in Adventures. I was looking at Exploring Countries & Cultures, but am a little nervous about that after reading threads about some of the missionary stuff and science going over the kids head. And then of course is the problem (?) of entering Creation to the Greeks in 3rd grade.

I just kind of want some direction so when I head to convention, I kind of know what program would be a good fit. Thanks!
The State Study starts at week 12 and goes through the end of the year with some history weaved in, if that helps. It is a huge chunk of the year in ADV.

The Bible is wonderful and ties into the science perfectly. Plus, there is the bird study.

There's tons of great read-alouds for the American History time period - I'm sure you could find some great extras to use.

I highly recommend going with ADV for your oldest in 2nd grade next year. Take a look at it at convention and ask a lot of questions in the booth. :-)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL