** Testimonies from Users!

mamaloya

** Testimonies from Users!

Unread post by mamaloya » Mon May 09, 2005 9:52 am

MFW lets kids be kids

I want to thank the Hazells for recognizing how important our littles childhood is. I have come across so many curriculums in my search that jumps them right into workbooks and way to much sitting still. This past year I had 2 in preK. I could find no curriculum that I liked so I did a little of this and a little of that. My only goal was to teach them to follow instructions and to sit still for more than 5 minutes to prepare them for K. I allowed them to control how much or little work we did. This goes so contrary to most teaching today. My dd9 will be completing 3rd grade next month and we are so excited about beginning ECC next year. The 2 littles (4&5) will be doing MFWK. After reading a lot of the posts, I may not even do K with dd4. It has been a tough time for me letting go of the workbook approach. I am still trying to deprogram dh LOL.

I have struggled with my dd9 for 3 years tying to do workbooks. She is relieved that she won't have them next year. You cannot imagine the relief I feel. I was feeling trapped and lost. What we were doing was not working, but I did not know what else to do.

Thank you so much for appreciating children for who they are. I wish that I had found you 3 years ago. My dd9 has mild dyslexia. Although I am beginning to learn that it is more a learning difference than a disability. If I had had MFW when she began phonics, we would have had better success. I know I am babbling, but I just can't put into words how wonderful it is to find educators willing to let kids take time being kids and learning their own way.

I am so glad that I discovered homeschooling. I used to be the ones that thought it was insane. I am glad to finally find a curriculum that follows my beliefs as a mother and teacher. I know most mothers can't wait for the school year to start and get rid of their kids in school, but I can't wait for the next school year to start so we can start our new adventure with MFWK and ECC.

Thanks so much to the Hazells for their dedication, hard work, and respect for our children.
Agape,

Sandra Loya
mom to 5: ds14, dd9, ds5, dd4, dd2

Jill S

Encouraging comment re: MFW from my son!

Unread post by Jill S » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:51 am

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:22 pm

As we were going through our daily school routine (just a couple more weeks of ECC to go!) my son Luke asked how much longer we would be doing school with My Father's World. I told him that I planned on using it through his seventh grade year (the full five year cycle). He responded that he wished we could use it for the rest of his homeschooling because he really loved doing it.

I mentioned his comment to some hsing friends of mine later (we were discussing curriculum), and they remarked that their kids had never said anything like that about their school. It really made me appreciate all the hard work the Hazells put into MFW, so I thought I'd pass it on!

MFW is just great and really gets at the heart of my kids (and I have kids from four different countries, so we are definitely not all alike in this family!).

Vera, 8, Russia, Down Syndrome
Anna, 7--MFW1
Emma, 6, Down Syndrome
Ella, 3, Colombia, Down Syndrome

Prairie Mom

What a Blessing!

Unread post by Prairie Mom » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:36 pm

Posted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:08 am

Father's World curriculum! You moms (and dads!!) have such a wonderful ministry, not only towards your own homes and families but it trickles into other's homes and families through your encouraging and informative posts and testimonies!

We have purchased Adventures Deluxe and we can hardly wait until August to get started! We also purchased the butterfly farm and introduction to the orchestra to have fun with over the summer. The alphabet avalanche is for when dd's hand and arm get tired writing spelling words -- Dad's idea!! :)

So after much time on our knees before the LORD seeking HIS wisdom, here we are smack dab in the middle of a curriculum that has it's roots deep within God's Word, that has all the elements that I wanted for dd such as the best of Charlotte Mason, the best of unit studies all tried and true, the best of His-story centered on God, not man, and to top it all off a completely laid out schedule \o/...Hubby and I are so at peace and so is dd.

I have read through the teacher's manual sharing a few of the projects we will be doing this year with dd and she calls this her "Happy Homeschool" -- What a blessing!!!!!

May each of you be blessed today in our Father's World!

YSIC,
Prairie Mom

MJ in IL

Do your kids love the program as much as you do?

Unread post by MJ in IL » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:57 pm

Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:47 am

Justa brief note...You asked: Also, do your kids love the program as much as you do?

"When is it book basket time?" and "Do we get to color another child with the Bible verse?" (the John 3:16 pages in ECC)

My then 9ds asked, "Why do we have to change when this one (ECC) is going so well?" when I was explaining about moving on to CtG.

This same child stated a couple years before that the Bible reader (in 1st) was his favorite part of school.

And lastly, we all loved the missionary stories scheduled in ECC. I was asked to stop reading aloud another book I had chosen from the book basket list to read another missionary biography.

I don't plan on changing things here:)

Molly

TommyGirl

I LOVED our 1st week with MFW!

Unread post by TommyGirl » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:47 am

Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:07 pm

I wanted to post and just say "THANK YOU" to the Hazells and to all of you who post here regularly and have answered my questions in the past. I could not be happier with the switch I have made to MFW this year.

We just completed our first week of using MFW-1 and Adventures. We enjoyed every minute of it. The kids love it and I love it! It all flows together so well. I love the short lessons, I love the integrated hands-on projects (and you should know that I deeply dislike crafts, but these are so do-able), my kids loved book basket (especially my son who learned more about Vikings this week than I thought possible - and he is in the 1st grade program). I just felt good when the week was over because we actually had accomplished what the schedule told us to which I never did before. I also felt that the kids learned more in this week than we ever did before and it was so much more enjoyable. MFW is so much more of a better fit for our family.

I am so thankful for God answering our prayers as we struggled with what was not working for us over the past three years. MFW is supplying those things that were missing and helping us to get rid of all the extra that just stressed me out and never really accomplished what I thought it would. Thank you, Lord, and thank you MFW!

And I love the sense of community and kindness on this board.

txquiltmommy

Unread post by txquiltmommy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:47 am

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:59 am

Tiffini,
Welcome to MFW, and I'm so glad you had a wonderful first week! I made the switch to Adventures with my two boys (ages 7 and 8) and we are delighted. I look forward to school EVERY day. It has been a great fit for our family too, and it just gets better with every passing week! Glad to have you on the boards. Keep us posted on your journey!
Brooke

caod

Unread post by caod » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:48 am

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:07 pm

We too are doing MFW 1st and Adventures with our 6 and 7 year olds. We are on week 7 now. I am so enjoying myself. I was so stressed last year. This year I am a much happier person.

Welcome.
Connie

MJP

Unread post by MJP » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:49 am

Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm

I am doing Rome to the Reformation and MFW 1st this year. We switched two years ago and have never looked back. MFW has been a much better fit (and less stress!) for our family, as well. I also like actually accomplishing what the teacher manual lays out without spending every waking moment schooling. I have also really loved the unity of the program and the notebooks. Have a great year!

hsmom2five

What an awesome curriculum!!

Unread post by hsmom2five » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:52 am

Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 pm

HI, Everyone!
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Kim and I have 5 wonderful children -- DD10, DS8, DD5, DS3 and DD15mo. I have been reading around on the board for a few months and I love it! I am new to MFW this year...although I found it about two years ago. I wish I had started with it then! This is awesome! I tried going through all the different ideas for homeschooling and being thoroughly impressed with Charlotte Mason as well as The Well-Trained Mind. I finally realized that MFW is the most excellent combination of the two.

I ordered the MFW-K for my five year old, and she will be reading ahead of time, just because she LOVES SCHOOL!

I also ordered Adventures for my DS8 and my DD10...seemingly a bit below their level, but because of all they missed, not only in the past two years while I was trying to figure out on my own how to teach them, but for all they missed while they were in school, my husband thought it would be best to start at the beginning, so to speak, and just be content with what we accomplish in the next 8-10 years.

We are loving Adventures....and I am especially loving the TM. It is so perfect for me. It is just structured enough to get my mind organized and flexible enough to add ideas to it. My oldest DD is finally enjoying "school"; partly because I have lightened up a bit on her, due to the wonderfully organized layout of the TM. I can let them take a day off if I want, and just by putting checkmarks in the weekly grid, I can see at a glance what we have left to do.

She is very much enjoying the timeline idea, and I told her the other day "Just wait until we get to do a BIG timeline" and she got so excited. I let her make it herself and add to it here and there with other things she learns about in other books. She reads constantly....she actually already read the entire "American Pioneers and Patriots before I caught her with it....I told her now she will have to listen to me read it anyway! And, no, she can't do the entire timeline tonight! And she doesn't even care... she loves it!

Anyway, my DS is actually enjoying it as well. That was so wonderful to read about the lady who heard her son reading aloud to his sibling. I'm not the only one!!!! :) My DS is the same way. He attended school for K-4 and K-5, and was reading at the age of 4. But he was not allowed ANY mistakes. He was really not even ready for school, but the pressure to conform to those around us made us put him through torture for two years. I was almost afraid that he would be emotionally damaged for life.

Every once in a while he still says, "Mom, I am glad we get to do Homeschool. No one laughs at me when I mess up." I guess more than anything we have taken the past two years to recuperate from the whole thing. I was learning alot about what I need as well as giving them a break and allowing them to be children again. I am just so glad that I finally just went ahead and ordered MFW. It is the best decision we have ever made.

Sorry to be so longwinded...I just feel like I found a whole new set of friends here. Thanks for listening...thanks for your advise and ideas and encouragement. This is my favorite place to relax! :)

Kim
Homeschool mom to five

momspeapods

I love this curriculum!

Unread post by momspeapods » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:53 am

Posted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:01 pm

We have just finished the introductory creation study in K and are on lesson 12 in mfw1. Wow! Is the best words for it! This curriculum is a godsend! I only wish I had tried it sooner.

We are in our third year of homeschooling and every year thus far has been complete chaos!! We will start out with something only to change to something else every couple of months trying to find our match.

This year had to be different because I have two school age children. I originally planned on only doing K activities with both but finally decided to dive into both programs. I am so happy I did. My kids love school! They actually were sad over the weekend because they wanted to have school! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

blessings
Jennifer

Elissa Baker

Unread post by Elissa Baker » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:57 am

Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:12 pm

I LOVE MFW too! I am using MFW K (2nd time, used w/ dd #1 - 2 yrs ago) and CTG this year. We are loving Ctg already (in week 4). Last year I thought it would save me time and money just to get a typical phonics workbook and piece together other things for dd#1 - I totally regret not getting MFW 1 - what we chose was so boring and tedious. Next year I have no doubt that I will get MFW 1 for dd # 2. We also used ECC last year and the children and I loved it.

We are done "trying out" other curriculums. We think MFW is the best!

scmlg

What a difference MFW is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread post by scmlg » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:58 am

Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:44 pm

As you all know we left a Charter school one week ago, and have started MFW. They were using textbooks plus I was expected to teach the state test to my 3rd grader.

So, Day 3 of MFW today, and what a difference! I know many of you warned that they start of slow, but either way it's so much more enjoyable already. It's almost don't feel like we're schooling. We're reading books, making a timeline, reading the Bible and so forth. Our Math doesn't take us an hour to complete.

I'm assume it's going to get "harder", but for now the boys keep telling their dad it's fun and easy. Again, I'm just happy, cuz I can see they are.

Misty

Mom of 5

Unread post by Mom of 5 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:59 am

Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:12 pm
We are using MFW first grade and totally enjoying it.
scmlg wrote:I'm just happy, cuz I can see they are.
This is the beginning and the end of it for me plus I can see my kids are really learning. Isn't it great?
Be blessed
Sandy M.

kfrench

Unread post by kfrench » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:59 am

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:10 pm

Been there. It was not fun and just turned my daughter off to phonics. She always complained that her little sister got to do a fun kindergarten.

Now we don't waste our day doing worksheets and not learning much. Now we do a little bit of everything and it sticks. I ended up going to the library and getting books and teaching History that way anyways with the textbooks, because the way they taught it didn't work.
Kris

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:00 am

Posted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:06 pm

Misty,
I'm so glad you're off to a good start. Undoubtedly, the pace and "feel" is completely different than what you and the boys are used to with a virtual academy, but I'm betting they'll come to love learning in a more relaxed, less "technical" structure and it will be a blessing to you too.

I totally understand that you initially wanted the structure and accountability of a virtual academy (that was my initial thinking as well). I would have EASILY found myself in your very shoes if not for some lengthy conversations with more experienced hs moms from my former church. And I'm sure that, for some, virtual academies are fit for the long haul. We all have to find what works best for us and our children.

MFW is a great fit for our family and it's really quite fun. Hope it continues to bless your family as well.
Blessings,
~Toni~

4Truth

Do you know what I love? MFW curriculum!

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:12 am

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:39 am

Do you know what I love? My Father's World Curriculum! :o)

I pulled out our Adventures manual for a Thanksgiving unit, and am going to work from it for Christmas, too. It reminded me of what a wonderful job the Hazell's have done with the scheduling, the project ideas which I can choose to do or not do, the natural flow from one week to the next, the "book basket" list of books for both history and literature, the "light" Fridays in the schedule, the lessons targeted at different age ranges.... all extending from a focus on Christ and His Word. Makes me wonder where my brain was when I was reconsidering curriculum. :rolling eyes:

Meanwhile, someone loaned me a very large manual from another unit study, but I just *cannot* get into it. The Hazell's have made everything so easy for me in MFW... It really has everything I need! I can add other subjects if I want to, but I don't *have* to because it's all there. :o)

I also pulled out the MFW K manual a few nights ago to start thinking about doing some structured learning with my 4yo. I know she won't retain everything, but I'm not going to push, and I may even go through a lot of it twice. I had started (but not finished) this program with my middle dd two years ago. At the time, I didn't think she needed or would be "helped" that much by this curriculum, but now I think I was wrong because she remembered doing more of it than I did! Wow, was I surprised!

All the above just confirms to me that we're on the right track with MFW. It also confirms to me that it's *very* effective, even when it doesn't "feel" like it because the lessons are so enjoyable. I may even find that my 4yo retains more than I think she will... but that's okay if she doesn't, because she's still pretty young and I know all good things will come in time.

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANK YOU to the Hazell's and their family and staff for all their hard work in making this available to us. Hang in there, Hazell's and Staff... The tools you're providing to help us in discipling our children and training them up in the way they should go will last for all eternity!

"One who is taught the word must share all good things with the one who teaches..... And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith." Gal. 6:6, 9-10 (ESV)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

rachel

Re: Do you know what I love? MFW curriculum!

Unread post by rachel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:12 am

Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:21 am

Yeah, MFW!

I agree! I have also felt pushed to do "more" and am learning the more that I stick with MFW that it is an incredible curriculum. It allows me to go through my day with more freedom in other areas outside of "formal homeschooling" that will allow my children to also be trained up to be an active part of life and enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing!!

another satisfied MFW customer,
Rachel (using MFW with 6 yo daughter and her 3 little brothers)

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:14 am

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:19 pm

Me too, Donna! :-) I will be doing K again with my dd. I am considering starting next year (4 year old), with the intention of doing it over 2 years instead of one - I think she'll LOVE it (she even remembers stuff from me doing it with her older brother *last* year, and she was only just 2). There's just so much there.

I tell ya what, when I was forced to consider the possibility of NOT using MFW earlier this year, I realized how wonderful and unique this curriculum really is.

Amanda

Posted Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:03 pm by SandKsmama

This is our 4th year of homeschooling, and also our 4th year with MFW! I'm SO thankful that God led us to MFW - I initially was looking at it just for a K program for my middle son, but God kept bringing me back to it over and over, so finally we wound up doing ECC and K that first year, and never looked back! Here we are, 4 years later, and we have done K (twice now), 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, and we're on week 23 of Ex1850. I cannot say enough wonderful things about how MFW blesses our family every day. There's just not another program out there that provides all that it provides.

Sandi in NC

Unread post by Sandi in NC » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:15 am

4Truth wrote:All the above just confirms to me that we're on the right track with MFW. It also confirms to me that it's *very* effective, even when it doesn't "feel" like it because the lessons are so enjoyable
Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi Donna ~

I agree with you 100%!! I had an amazing talk with David on Friday and he really helped me 'see' MFW in a whole new light and really helped me to figure out what I needed to be doing!

I feel so much more confident in my homeschooling journey now! And I have a plan of attack that will work for me and my children! The children are so relieved that Mommy is no longer curriculum shopping 'cause they know we are going back to MFW to stay because it works for us!

We just received our Adventures stuff and we can't wait to get started!

Sandi
Wife to Bill, and Momma to William (8), Elisabeth (7), Anna (6) our blessings from Kazakhstan
Sandi in NC ~
Wife to Bill, Momma to William (10), Lizzie (9) and Anna (8). Getting ready for ECC and chasing the chickens!

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:16 am

Posted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Rachel,

I could've written your post!!! Everytime I want to add to MFW, we get stressed and tired.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. One of my weaknesses is that I am not good at achieving balance. However, I can RECOGNIZE balance when I see it (even if I cannot make it happen on my own). So, after several MFW years, I have learned that it is a very balanced program. It's not too little, not too much. It's has fun things in it but all the projects have a purpose, they are not just there to take up time (and make a mess).
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

TammyB

This curriculum is even better than it looks.

Unread post by TammyB » Fri May 02, 2008 12:37 am

lyntley wrote:This curriculum is even better than it looks. The character training and bible focus alone is worth it's weight in gold. Peruse the board and you'll just get more excited about it.
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:12 pm

I agree completely! The online samples do not do it justice. You have to have the program in your hands and use it the way it is designed to be used in order to "get it." :)

It has been a wonderful blessing to my family!

Cyndi (AZ)

Re: This curriculum is even better than it looks.

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri May 02, 2008 12:45 am

lyntley wrote:This curriculum is even better than it looks.
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:05 pm
Ditto! We LOVE it!!! It's so much better than workbooks, and so well put together. Great focus on Bible, excellent library book choices, easy to explain/understand phonics, fun science, hands-on math, art and music appreciation . . . all in about an hour or so a day for K and First. I haven't had to combine years, but there's all kinds of info available on how to do that.

ChristyH wrote: I could focus on actual teaching and the children for the most part enjoyed their lessons. No more hunting for books to purchase and no more time planning. The "doability", like my new word?, is incredible.
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:05 pm
I love the "doability" of MFW as well. I am such a planner, that if I had to plan out an entire curriculum, I'd devote myself to it and be totally self-absorbed instead of being the best wife and mom and teacher I could be. My favorite thing is the "put-togetherness" of it!

MJP

Re: This curriculum is even better than it looks.

Unread post by MJP » Fri May 02, 2008 12:53 am

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:59 pm

I can relate to using something else when I should have used MFW. I have used K, 1st and 3 of the upper level programs. I am on K for the second time. I will use it with all my children. There are no tears. It is easy, and it is fun. The first grade Bible notebook is precious. I love the notes about the books of the Bible and the Proverbs to copy. It is also great to see the kids get so excited about their reader.

ShanMom

I am thanking God for MFW!

Unread post by ShanMom » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:47 am

Posted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:47 pm

I just had to write a note to say how much using MFW has blessed me. Every day I wake up excited to learn with my children and I feel that our days are full of meaningful work, hard work, and enjoyable work. No longer am I searching or pondering all the millions of things we could study and trying to figure out what to do when and how. I feel like I've stopped planning for the future & instead am enjoying the moment! I love book basket, trips to the library, watching my kids read and ask questions, talking about the Lord as it relates to school, fun crafts, and simplified plans. I love not looking for curriculum anymore, enjoying what I have, and having time to observe my children, rather than prodding them through the day. I love leaning on the expertise of another and getting to enjoy the benefit. I love the Lord, and I love family and I love the MFW is pro both. I also love the message board and talking with all you ladies!

What do you love about MFW?

cbollin

What do I love about MFW?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:48 am

Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:24 am

I’ve been using MFW for 5 years and have a lot to say. Trying to keep it brief.

*love the lesson planning is done for me. I don’t have to do that.
*love the prescreening work that went into book basket list
*I’m praising God for the spiritual growth in my family. Oh my. That’s a thread in itself with how my children want to give to Bible translation. And pray for missionaries. And pray for people around the world. And think about doing little things for other people. And even my husband has to grow alongside it all. I credit MFW for that with the read aloud selections and just everything.
*my kids are learning a lot.
*I like that when my parents visit that my dad will read a book in book basket or from one of the history books. My dad is not a book lover. He reads technical manuals, but has read several books from book basket when he visits.
*I love that this program works in my real world of having to deal with special needs child’s therapies.
*we like simple hands on projects that work and are easy to put away and be done with it
*I like the cooking projects in MFW.
*Like that we memorize scripture together
*ok, I love this message board too :) (even if it did crash when I tried to post this earlier)
* Elementary Science is fun, not over done
*thankful for the customer service at MFW
*love that it has an international focus to it
*we love the read alouds
*I like that my day isn’t overwhelmed
*My kids like it.
*Love the Biblical content
*I don't waste time curriculum shopping anymore. MFW has a plan and a path to get there. I praise God that HE gifted Marie to sort through all of that and I don't have to. I can teach my children instead of curriculum hopping and shopping for them. Thanks David and Marie <warm smiles>

-crystal