Non-USA - Will MFW work for Canadian families?

hsm

Re: How long does ECC take?

Unread post by hsm » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:26 am

I thought I would chime in and mention that the Complete Book of Animals might be a nice science supplement for your young children. My 8 year old loves it and it is packed full of a lot of information.
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

kidswife

Re: How long does ECC take?

Unread post by kidswife » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm

I am a very laid back homeschooler. I have to be. We do too many activities. I have 2 girls (9 & 7) doing ECC and we spend about 2-3 times a week on it (on a good week... other times once or twice a week), sometimes covering 2 lessons days in one session. I sit down (actually lay down on our bellies on the floor) with them for about 20-30 minutes during these ECC sessions. I'm able to cover the materials, ask questions, hand out the assingments, and after our 1 on 2 time (one mom, 2 girls) I leave them to themselves to accomplish the short assignments. Coloring the flags, making geography definition cards, reading books about the different countries from our book basket of library books, etc. I have found it to be very easy to implement, and they have learned so much. All in all, 20-30 mintues to cover sometimes 2 Lesson days. However, I could easily spend 2 hours on it, if I had the time. This does not include math and LA. I have separate sessions with my kids for that, but ECC has been a delight and they always look forward to it ... I think in part because we don't do it all the time. I hope that helps!
Theresa
DDs 13, 11, 7
DS 9
Used/using R&S Preschool, Sonlight Books, Classical Academic Press, MFW & Classical Conversations!

mshanson3121

Using Adventures for Canadians

Unread post by mshanson3121 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:23 pm

I hope this is okay if I share this here! If it's not please let me know. I know many Canadians wonder if Adventures can be used without a massive amount of work. I have come up with a great plan to combine Canadian and American history using Adventures, and I decided to start a blog for it. I thought that maybe it might help others, give them ideas, and make it easier for them to use Adventures! So, I thought I'd share it!
http://adventuresincanadianhistory.wordpress.com

MelissaB

Re: Using Adventures for Canadians

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 pm

I'm not in Canada, but I love your blog. And what a great idea! !? :) Hope you're posting on the Adventures Ideas board as well.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

asheslawson

English and spelling

Unread post by asheslawson » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:47 pm

Kab wrote:I am going to go ahead and order the book. Spelling Power I am assuming that the spelling would be American so I would just likely substitute the English spelling for the words that are needed to be changed to the correct spelling ;)

Kim
I am not familiar with Canadian spellings - if they differ much - but if it helps - Spelling Power has spellings in brackets to the right of certain words that are the British spelling. I don't know if Canadian spellings are different from these - but I sometimes like to note with my kids (especially my natural speller) that there are alternate spellings in the English language for the word that we spell differently in America.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Kab

Re: English and spelling

Unread post by Kab » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:38 pm

Thank you,
This is good to know Canadian spelling follows that of the British spelling,
like colour, neighbour, and cheque. I know there is not many that a third and fourth grader will encounter but there are a few.

I went to one of our local homeschool book stores and picked it up this last week. I started on the placement test I think it will be a great fit for my girls.

Have a great weekend.
Learning to wait on the LORD
Happily married to a great husband.
Mommy to two beautiful young girls.
Working through CTG
Back after a year of Classical conversations
Living in beautiful Alberta Canada
~~~~***><>
**~~><>
GHOTI

Poohbee

New here!

Unread post by Poohbee » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Featherhead wrote:Hi! My name is Heather and I have 4 girls, currently ages 7, 5, 3, and 1. I have homeschooled them from the beginning. This coming year I am torn about what to do. I was looking at Adventures as it looks like I can use it with both my girls (will be grade 1 & 3). It looks like a fun year.

One of the things holding me back is the fact that we are Canadian and I'm not sure if I want to spend a year focusing on the US. It is so hard to find good Canadian programs and at this point I am not good at throwing my own thing together. Any advice?
Hi Heather!

Welcome to MFW!

You know, with a 3rd and 1st grader, maybe you would want to consider ECC (Exploring Countries and Cultures) instead of Adventures. You're right...Adventures is a fun and wonderful year, but it does focus quite a bit on U.S. history. ECC spends 2 weeks on the U.S., 2 weeks on Mexico, 2 weeks on Canada, and then on to other countries around the world for 2-3 weeks per country. You could even spend a few extra weeks studying your own country or province. I do not know what you have studied already, but ECC would certainly be appropriate for your 3rd grader. If someone uses MFW from the beginning and uses Adventures for their oldest child as a 2nd grader, then they often go on to ECC for 3rd grade. You will still want a separate reading and math program for your first grader, but she can certainly join her older sister in many things in ECC.

ECC is a fun year of traveling to different countries, getting a passport stamped, hearing music and doing art projects from various countries. The science is tied to the countries you are studying. I did ECC with my 4th grader and Kindergartener, and there were many things that my K'er was able to join in on in ECC. I think it might be a great option for you! Something to look into. :-)
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Julie in MN

Re: New here!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi Heather,
I agree with Jen that most Canadian families with 3rd graders head right into ECC. I did ECC with a 3rd grader and it was a lovely year - we did all the fun stuff.

If you have any reservations about being ready for ECC, this thread has a few Canadians who adapted Adventures for Canada: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2749

Enjoy!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Featherhead

Unread post by Featherhead » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:55 am

I hadn't even thought of that, thanks! I will take a closer look at ECC. Also thanks for the link. I will have to read it later when I have some time.

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:18 pm

You can also use the basic package of Learning God's Story for your 1st grader's language arts and math, and let her join your 3rd grader in ECC for the rest of the subjects.
Featherhead wrote:She is actually working on first grade LA and math already this year, so I'm checking out the grade 2 recommendations.
Sounds great!
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV