Schedule - How much time, excluding math & LA?

cbollin

Schedule - How much time, excluding math & LA?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:09 pm

blessedmom2 wrote:So does it really only take 4 hours a day to do Adventures? I am worried that my LA and math choices will add on more time. Next year I may switch to the recommendations of the Hazells but I cannot switch right now....so will this put me into 5 hours or even more???
Adventures is designed for about a 3 hour or less day. 3 hours includes days with everything including the optionals (from deluxe) package and the days where science and foreign language are scheduled.

In other words, a 3 hour day includes: Bible, all language arts (handwriting, dictation, English, spelling, etc), history, book basket, math, science (which is not every day), quiet reading time (which always is flexible in our house), art/music, and foreign language.

--crystal

Homeschooling6

How much time, excluding math & LA?

Unread post by Homeschooling6 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Sophia wrote:I just really think this program looks great. I have been looking at it for about a year. However, we are completely satisfied with our LA and Math choices. I know how long that takes us each day to complete. So, even though this program was created to be done by noon, I need more information. I do not want to burn out my children (k and 2nd). I want this program to be a joy and not a burden.

How much time does this program take excluding the LA and math? Obviously, every family is different...but I need to quantify this in some way.
Sophia
Posted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:29 pm
I am using ADV without their LA or math program. I would say it takes us about an hour to do the scheduled reading, science etc. I am not using their art program. You don't have to do it all in one sitting.

The first 11 weeks we sometimes would double up on the reading and do that in 3 days. I would then do Science, timeline/notebooking on the other 2 days. From week 12 you start to study a state a day, so I am sticking more to the schedule now. Josh 8yr, Annette 7yrs & Caleb 6yrs. are the only ones doing the states and we do this while the others are napping.

Blessings,

kfrench

Unread post by kfrench » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:07 am

It does not take very long to get things done.

Probably about 10 minutes for bible; longer on the days they copy the verse or do a craft. Then there is usually about 5 minutes of reading for history, and sometimes a state page, which would depend on how fast your kids color; my kids its 15-30 minutes. There is science scheduled 2 times a week; we usually combine it and it doesn't take more than half hour. Music is usually listening to one song twice a week. Art is scheduled everyday but we only do it once a week; it is probably the most time consuming, 30 min-1 hour. It is pretty simple and easy to complete. If we get behind we can usually make it up in a day or two with out much problem.

The only prep is getting simple things for science experiements and hands on stuff ( always quick and very easy stuff) and getting books from the library every few weeks. They have a great library list. Otherwise we just open the teacher's manuel and go each day.

Overall we don't spend over an hour a day on the MFW stuff. We use a different LA and Math and we usually are done by 1 pm including breaks and lunch and starting about 8:30 or 9. They scedule a very light 5th day so we get it all done in 4 days a week. My kids love all the read alouds and all the little projects. The projects are simple enough that I have been know to read the kids the directions and then go take a shower while they make them. Oh and we can do it all with a 2 year old running around trying to join in. He loves all the library books with pictures.

HopeAnn

Unread post by HopeAnn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 pm

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:12 am

It only takes an hour to do Adventures unless there is a science experiment or craft, then add on an additional half hour. I budget an hour and half every morning for Adventures. Usually we are done 10 - 15 minutes early and I use that extra time for Book basket. We do our read alouds at night. The music and art we do on day 5 by themselves. We only do one lesson of art a week.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:39 pm

Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:34 am

Sophia,

The teacher's manual lists a suggested schedule of "time boxes" for subjects. It will vary by family as you can see from the other answers. And I didn't put in the langauge arts and math boxes. We get it done in less time, usually. :)

Bible (including memory work) 20 minutes
History 30 minutes -- includes parent read aloud, activities and notebook
Book Basket (children reading unit study related books) 15 minutes
Science 20 minutes
Free reading 30 minutes
art/music 20 minutes (less when just music)
Foreign language 15 minutes

--crystal

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:40 pm

Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:16 pm

My dd cannot handle a rigid structure. We definitely follow a schedule and work to stay on task. We we flow gently from one subject to the next. Minus LA and math, it takes us 1½-2 hours.

Sophia

Unread post by Sophia » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:41 pm

Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:23 am

Thank you all so much for your responses. You have given me the exact information that I needed as I pray over this decision.

Sophia