* RTR is absolutely wonderful!

Including getting a later start using "English From The Roots Up" or "God & the History of Art"
klewfor3

Share About Your School Year (or your summer)

Unread post by klewfor3 »

MFW-Marie wrote:It's almost summer! Let’s encourage each other and have some fun!
Marie
We finished our school year the end of May. This year we studied Rome to Reformation. I so enjoyed it! My kids did as well, but they are still kids after all and some days they had to work hard to stay focused and on task. :-)

Here are some highs and lows from our school year. Not complaining, just working through some things.

PROS
I could go on and on with the pros. The Bible and scripture memorization can make me cry...in a good way! The amount of scripture that they commit to memory blows me away. Our last day of school the kids took turns reciting their verses. I think we all were a little surprised at how much they could recall and how long it took to say it all! That thrills me to know that the seeds are being planted in their hearts. And, God's Word does not return void!

The other side that I so appreciate are the activities, games and projects that are incorporated throughout the year. Often I am tempted to skip over some for the sake of trying to save time but I realize (thankfully) that they add so much depth and true fun to our learning! When I started homeschooling, I knew that was something I looked forward to doing and had the best intentions to plan...but life often gets in the way and I just don't get it all done. It is so nice to know that Marie has scheduled those times throughout the year. That way I can relax knowing that my kids will get a full and fun experience even if I can't add anything myself that year. That just makes my heart happy. :-)

CONS
Writing is always a struggle. Writing is so subjective. It is tough.

Science. By the end of the day after we have done Bible, book basket, History, the other subjects, and their assigned reading the kids can tend to get a glazed look and lose focus. If a book "reads well" like the Astronomy book, it goes better, but The Human Body for Every Kid went over their heads. Looking back I think I need to loosen up and put a little more time looking into this subject ahead of time. Up until this year I was a rule follower. If it said "read pages __ through __", I read them. I wanted every box in my grid checked off. ;) Now I know I need to take the time to look ahead each week. Then, I can still cover the topics we need to cover but maybe summarize them.

So now we are done except for WS and I plan on sipping on some tea, reading Lord of the Rings series, and watching my kids at the pool....they seem to grow before my eyes.

Thanks so much MFW!
Kathy
Finished year 4 of homeschooling with MFW. Whew!
Mom to Tyler 11, Paige 9, Brooklyn 7, and Chase 2
Finished:
MFW K
MFW 1st
Adventures in MFW
ECC
CTG
RTR
Amarie

Praise for Mfw

Unread post by Amarie »

We are doing RTR, and I'm also doing All Aboard the Animal Train with my two year old. After a very long unstructured summertime with a 2, 8 and 13 year old, the transformation that has taken place in our home and in our children over these past two weeks is absolutely wonderful, and I thank the Lord for leading us to MFW. My husband and I are very pleased!

Amy