Struggling with Applications of Grammar and praise for Mfw

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
Amarie

Struggling with Applications of Grammar and praise for Mfw

Unread post by Amarie » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:56 am

Hi, I am looking for advice on how to teach Applications of Grammar and how to help a struggling student. My seventh grader does most of his work independently, and is so far doing great except for grammar. We are two weeks into the school year, he is on lesson three and has had to redo the lesson once, still getting most of the answers wrong. I'm not sure what to do or how to proceed.

On another note, we are doing RTR, and I'm also doing All Aboard the Animal Train with my two year old. After a very long unstructured summertime with a 2, 8 and 13 year old, the transformation that has taken place in our home and in our children over these past two weeks is absolutely wonderful, and I thank the Lord for leading us to MFW. My husband and I are very pleased!

Amy

Julie in MN

Re: Struggling with Applications of Grammar and praise for Mfw

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Hi Amy,
Fun to hear how your family has been blessed, as ours has.

I opened up our copy of Applications and thought I'd throw out a few thoughts.

1. In my family, the parts of speech (All-In-One Grammar) were an important foundation and I pushed for mastery. However, Applications adds all the details that were not expected to reach mastery at my house. My focus was on helping my son realize that when his sentences weren't working, there was probably a logical, grammatical reason that he could fix.

2. For Lesson 3 on kinds of verbs, the main idea for me would be that the traditional idea of a verb as "doing something" (as in, He jumped) isn't always the case in sentences. Sometimes verbs just show "existence" (linking verbs - He is, or He seems). And sometimes verbs are more than one word (including a helping verb like the example they give, Mary has gone). If I were going over this with my child after doing the lesson twice, I'd just ensure he could talk with me about those. Some years I actually had my son create a small notebook and list each difficult grammar fact and an example. When I used to be a tutor, I found that re-doing lessons too many times just created good memorizers :)

3. Over the years, occasionally students have posted questions (or answers) on this Message Board. Of course, he would want to use your user name or create something generic (one I remember was MFW Student). Sometimes forming your question into words actually helps you figure out what exactly you aren't getting. Or, if you are an internet-familiar-family, you might search something like YouTube or Khan Academy for a further explanation. Here is a video on "helping verbs" (I didn't view it to see if it would really help :) ) https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/ ... ch-grammar . Again, allowing the student to identify what exactly he needs to find out can be beneficial.

4. In many of the early lessons, the student can find the answers just by looking carefully at the previous examples. The exercises often draw words right from the previous examples.

Hopefully others will have personal experiences that worked for them!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Christy - Staff

Unread post by Christy - Staff » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Amy,

Just checking to see if your child completed the All-In-One English workbook already? It has a great review and helps build a firm foundation before completing Applications of Grammar.

We also recommend working through the lesson with the student. This can help them build confidence and provide the opportunity for questions before completing the exercises.
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:13 pm

I've had to do the lessons *with* my twin boys. We tried a couple with me having them read the lessons and do the exercises themselves, and that just didn't work.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:20 am

I am struggling with Applications as well. My 13 year old and I just finished lesson 3 together...we've been doing the lessons together...I am finding that even after reading the lessons, I am not sure of the answers! Right now I sit with the answer book on my lap and as he goes through the book I will tell him things like "look for one more", or "that one isn't a linking verb", etc. Mastery is NOT happening right now. I am wondering if this is ok? What is the goal?

Sorry, not trying to latch onto your thread but we are finding this book is a little TOO tough for mastery...I don't want to go a whole year if I should try something else.

Thanks,
Kathy
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

Amarie

Unread post by Amarie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi Kathy, that's exactly what I'm struggling with too. This week we did up through lesson 5 I think. Even after going through it with him and helping him correct things, I am not sure he really understands it, and I'm concerned he will not retain things for the tests. I don't remember grammar well enough to help without relearning as we go. I suppose this isn't a bad thing, I just need to find time for that, and try to figure out how to get ahead of him maybe. It is difficult starting out a new year trying to fit everything in and learning what needs attention, especially with multiple kids. If you figure anything out let me know! ;)

We did do the recommended All in One grammar book last year for sixth grade. I don't remember him struggling through it.

Thank you to the other few ladies who commented last week, I really appreciated your help. I did look up the khan academy link, it was very helpful and my son likes watching the video. I bookmarked the website and we may use it some more if needed.

Amy

Christy - Staff

Unread post by Christy - Staff » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:40 am

Some children grasp grammar concepts more quickly and will have mastery at this level. Some will find grammar much more difficult. Our 8th grade grammar book, Easy Grammar Ultimate Series, was chosen specifically for this reason. It gives more instruction in bite-size chunks for those who don't quite remember the grammatical concepts in each lesson. But it also serves as a comprehensive review for those who have already mastered grammar concepts.

I know it can be hard to find time to sit with your 7th grader for grammar, so you are to be congratulated for taking that time. It's really important. The interaction between the parent/teacher and the student is invaluable.
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:11 pm

Just a follow up my last post...the testing did not go well for my ds but partially because I missed that I was supposed to be giving a test every 5 lessons or so. I thought the book would prompt you but I didn't see it if it did. Anyways, I was through the first unit completely before we did any tests so I let him do an open book test. He still struggled, but we'll keep plugging away.

One thing I am excited I found was a game on our iPad called Grammar Pop. I am really pleased with how simple but direct the game is. A sentence "pops" up and you have to identify the Noun, Verb, Article, Adjective, Preposition, etc (depending on the level you are on). I have him play this game 4-5 times a week and I really think it will help reinforce what we are doing with Applications. It isn't free but I feel it was a good deal for $1.99.

Just thought I would throw that out there in case anyone else could use a game to help with this subject! I even started it with my 5th grade dd because it starts out really basic. She enjoys it!

Kathy
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi, Amy! ~

So glad you're enjoying RTR. We loved that year, too!

Our daughter is pretty quick academically (she gets it from her Dad). However, she struggled with Ap. for Gram., too. Here's what we did, and it was really successful:

I took the book and taught each lesson on a large white board, using examples right out of the book. She did NO workbook pages that year and instead just took notes in a spiral notebook. We kept it simple: about 10 min./day.

The next year, I handed her Applications for Grammar and told her to, "See how it goes," and she did great. I think that year of no-pressure, just-watch-Mom-do-it may have really helped. ;)

If you haven't done All-in-One English, you might try doing that one first. (I think Christ & Julie mentioned that, too.) It lays a very solid grammar foundation. :) We haven't used the Easy Grammar Ultimate Series, but I would take Christy's suggestions any day!! She and Julie both give really good advice.

Enjoy RTR!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4