Grammar - Ideas when struggling

Issues specific to teaching 6th to 8th graders, including the transition to Saxon math, Apologia science, Progeny Press guides, and grammar lessons
MelissaB

Re: Struggling with Applications of Grammar and praise for Mfw

Unread post by MelissaB »

Hi, Amy! ~

So glad you're enjoying RTR. We loved that year, too!

Our daughter is pretty quick academically (she gets it from her Dad). However, she struggled with Ap. for Gram., too. Here's what we did, and it was really successful:

I took the book and taught each lesson on a large white board, using examples right out of the book. She did NO workbook pages that year and instead just took notes in a spiral notebook. We kept it simple: about 10 min./day.

The next year, I handed her Applications for Grammar and told her to, "See how it goes," and she did great. I think that year of no-pressure, just-watch-Mom-do-it may have really helped. ;)

If you haven't done [Language Lessons For Today 6], you might try doing that one first. (I think Christ & Julie mentioned that, too.) It lays a very solid grammar foundation. :) We haven't used the Easy Grammar Ultimate Series [for 8th grade], but I would take Christy's suggestions any day!! She and Julie both give really good advice.

Enjoy RTR!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4