How to simplify the curriculum?

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
arosemalone

How to simplify the curriculum?

Unread post by arosemalone » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:25 pm

I have been doing ECC with my fourth-grader, sometimes doing VOD with my four-year-old, and taking care of my youngest, a seven-month-old. Our days are so full that I am looking for ideas about what to cut out, especially with ECC. I have been skipping the "advanced" assignments, and we're not using Writing Strands this year. What parts of ECC do you think are essential?

manyblessings

Re: How to simplify the curriculum?

Unread post by manyblessings » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:05 pm

I think you are fine cutting the advanced assignments for your fourth grader. Are you working with your Pre-K child while your older is doing something a little independent,?Like getting your fourth grader started with math or language arts, then doing part of VOD with the younger. You could also delegate some of the teaching of VOD to your 4th grader while you tend to the baby. Perhaps omit some of the science discovery and extra activities from VOD, and let your Pre K child tag along with the older sometimes, joining in the ECC activities when possible. Just some ideas. :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

arosemalone

Unread post by arosemalone » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:57 am

Honestly, we haven't been using VOD very often lately, but when we do it's usually when my fourth-grader is busy doing something else or has gone to a music lesson. I would like to fit it in, but I am not sure how to do that. I really wanted to use VOD with my middle child so that he would have his own special time with me, not because I thought he needed it to be ready for kindergarten in about a year. I don't mind cutting certain activities out of VOD to save time, but I struggle with deciding what to cut from ECC, because there is so much there, along with language arts and math. I do let my preschooler participate in some activities from ECC.

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:59 pm

I would really see what is taking most of your time. Is it making notebooking pages? Can you scribe for him for that? Is it math or language arts? Are you using efficient curricula?

You may need to use a timer for a couple of days to see where your hang-ups are.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Fly2Peace

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:40 am

I am hoping someone else chimes in, as it has been a LONG time since I had to consider this... but, aren't the advanced assignments for older students? I realize ECC is for 3-8th grade, so, it just seems to me like an advanced assignment would be more for the 6-8th grade level of that range?? I know someone else already mentioned skipping those... I can see in a different situation, SOME 4th graders might do some or all of those advanced assignments. But, I also know we tend to think we have to cover EVERYTHING with our oldest, check off every box, etc. We tend to be driven with the eldest, which might be what makes them driven. But, the older I and my children get, the more I see that some of that was just not necessary.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)