Subjects Covered

Post questions and comments here. All messages posted in this area will stay active for a time. Older posts will be deleted or archived to one of the areas below.
My6Blessings

Subjects Covered

Unread post by My6Blessings » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 am

Greetings! I'm already planning our upcoming school year, and I'm trying to decide which subjects MFW will cover. My state requires that we teach reading, writing, literature, history, geography, government, citizenship, economics, math, science, art, health and physical education. That's a lot to cover, with 6 kids learning at 5 different levels! I'm mostly looking into MFW Adventures for my youngest three (including twins) who will be in 2nd & 3rd grade this fall. If they respond well to the curriculum, I will mostly likely continue on with MFW until graduation for them. My oldest 3 are already set with a more independent curriculum that they are comfortable with and doing well in. Any and all help is greatly appreciated! :-)

Fly2Peace

Re: Subjects Covered

Unread post by Fly2Peace » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 am

Well, at that level something like "Economics" looks very different than high school. It would be incorporated into something else, and not a stand alone subject at that level. Are you sure that isn't what is required for the 4 years of high school?

But, as far as; reading, writing, literature, history, geography, government, citizenship, economics, math, science, art, health and physical education...

I would say all are touched on, except maybe specifically health and PE. Now, understand, it has been a LONG time since I have done those levels. My youngest is now doing 10th/11th. :) At the 2nd / 3rd grade level, PE seems easy enough to add in, whether it is an outside activity (karate, gymnastics, swimming, etc), or exercise at home. Health too, touching on things like dental and eye health, or even discussing things like the influenza that swept across the US this year.
Fly2Peace (versus flying to pieces)

My6Blessings

Unread post by My6Blessings » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:26 am

Thanks! My state doesn't specify whether the subjects are supposed to be covered every year or not, and there's nothing about which should be done in elementary or high school years.. HSLDA recommends that each subject be taught each year at the appropriate grade level. So, I'm trying to decide whether to follow the "letter of the law" or the spirit! ;)

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:21 pm

No thoughts on that question, just that Adventures is awesome for grades 2 and 3. I just wonder, how old are the rest of your children? Because you could instead combine all your kids in grades 2 through 8 in ECC so you can teach from only one core curriculum, and just add the age appropriate language arts and math (and science for 7th and 8th graders). Just a consideration for a busy mom of 6 :) But I do understand if the oldest 3 are enjoying what they are doing, not wanting to "fix what isn't broken". Either way, I think you'll find MFW incorporates probably most of those subjects at different levels in different years.
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

My6Blessings

Unread post by My6Blessings » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks! I have talked with my older children, and they would rather just continue on with what they're doing. My oldest graduates next year, so she would be too old to combine. My other daughter is also too old to combine (9th grade) and just prefers to work independently, as does my son, who will be in 5th grade. He's a very organized, logical type who isn't really into hands-on, creative activities or learning. They're all so different! I just hope MFW will meet the needs of my three youngest...they all have different learning styles. Dan is very social, Tom is an auditory learner, and Troy is a super tactile/kinesthetic learner. Thanks for the thoughts! :-)

manyblessings

Unread post by manyblessings » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 pm

Isn't it amazing to see our children's different personalities and learning styles? I only have one in K now, but I have 4 adult children who were homeschooled for most of their school years. Each of my 5 children has his or her own distinct personality and learning style. It certainly was a challenge to meet all their needs! My youngest loves the hands-on things right now because of her age, but she is definitely a verbal learner! We'll see how long MFW works out for her. It sounds as though you have a great plan in place for your children, and I'm sure your 3 youngest will enjoy Adventures :)
Lourdes
Mom of 4 adults, 1 daughter-in-law, 1 son-in-law, 1 in 1st, and
3 in heaven 8/11/06, 8/18/10, and 9/13/13
Married to my soul mate since 6/20/09
Past: MFW K, ECC, AAAT, VOD, GCA, LGS
2019-2020: ADV

My6Blessings

Unread post by My6Blessings » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:00 am

Thanks! Sometimes I think it would be easier if all my kids learned the same, and I could use the same curriculum and methods. It would certainly be simpler for me! I'm not very good at the hands-on, creative parts of learning, but I can see how it really benefits my kids. My husband is much better at teaching in fun, interesting ways. He starts a new work schedule next week, so he'll be home more to work with the boys on the subjects that I'm not so comfortable with. God made us all unique and beautiful in our own ways, with different strengths! Blessings to you and yours! :-)

ruthamelia

Unread post by ruthamelia » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:00 pm

Wow I know what you mean about different learning styles! We're up do 5 school age now, and tailoring to their individual needs and styles is one of the great benefits of homeschooling. My oldest nephew sounds like your 5th grader- he has always been quite independent, works well on his own, likes a lot of structure, etc. I know you said you have something he likes, but just want to throw it out there that the MFW cycle years have worked well for us, even with the independent one. He just always needed to know when the group stuff would be (this year and last has been strictly at 9:30- mostly for his sake). He listens and participates with the group reading, and can work on his own before and after that. If there is notebooking etc. related to the group subjects, he can also do those on his own time schedule, he just needs to be there when we all read together, and it works great. He also gets the benefit of participating in group discussion, hearing what others think, etc.

Back to your original question about subjects covered... our state also has a list of required subjects to 'cover'. I have never felt like we are missing a required subject using MFW. The state doesn't dictate how or how much a subject is included, and once you get into MFW you will see that the wide variety of living books, activities, etc., really do touch on all of the subjects you listed, except maybe PE as already mentioned. One single notebooking activity easily covers reading (they had to read the information to start with), writing (they're writing a summary on the notebook page), literature (again, they read living books to get the info in the first place), history or geography or science (depending on the topic they are notebooking on), art (if they include a drawing or map or something), and even citizenship if the page has to do with a president, founding document, etc. Not that notebooking is the only way these subjects are learned, just giving an example of how a lot of meat is packed into just a few intentionally chosen learning activities.
Kids in school: 15, 13, 11, 8, 6, 4, 4
We have used: K, First, all Investigate years
2018-2019: First, ECC, AHL

My6Blessings

Unread post by My6Blessings » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks! I've been thinking about this, since it would actually be easier and possibly better to include my oldest son with the three youngers. However, I haven't really covered American History yet with the youngers (the curriculum we've been using has been focusing on communities). So, I'm thinking of doing Adventures with them this upcoming year, and letting Sam work independently still, then maybe combining them all in ECC the following year. My twins, who will be 7 in June, still need some time to develop their writing skills. They are fantastic at reading and math, but they have a hard time with spelling and proper grammar. In your opinion, is ECC more demanding of 2nd graders than Adventures would be? Thanks for your thoughts!! :-)