Glimpses of Adventures - Having fun in December! March!

beltran4christ

Glimpses of Adventures - Having fun in December! March!

Unread post by beltran4christ » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:24 pm

We finished our first week of Adventures today. The kiddos and I really enjoyed it.

They really loved the map work. They have memorized where all the continents are, learned what the Pledge of Allegiance means, had fun coloring in the State map and writing in the names just for fun. Yes we had a good MFW week. It feels so good to be doing History again.

We read all of our 2nd week Read Aloud already. I think I'll save Christoper Columbus until next week though ;)

Where are you all at in Adventures???
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98 Calvert 2nd
Annette 9/99 Calvert 2nd
Caleb 9/00 MFW1st
Brent 10/01 MFWK
Ethan 1/03 Calvert & MFW Pre-K
Lance 8/04 MFW Pre-K

1st year with MFW using Adventures!

Our Blog www.homeschooling6.com

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:26 am

We finished week 15 last week, and are taking these last two weeks in December off. Taking a break has actually been hard because we've loved school so much! The break is nice, but the kids & I will be happy to get back in the swing of things come January!

Learning the states & coloring the birds/flowers has been a huge hit with my son. Such a simple thing - we review a couple of facts about the state, he finds the capital & abbreviation & locates the sticker & colors the page. He loves it!

Have a wonderful year in My Father's World & a very Merry Christmas!

Paige in NC

NHMom

Unread post by NHMom » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:39 pm

We are on week 15 of Adventures. It keeps getting better and better! This is the first year we haven't been totally wiped out and burned out on school. I don't even feel we need a break for Christmas! It's such an enjoyable part of our day!

We're also doing MFWK and that's been very easy to integrate into our day. I was very worried about doing school with 3 kids this year, but it's been our best year yet. I'm so thankful for MFW!

Merry Christmas!
Gayle
Gayle

Mom to DS 9, DD 8 (using Adventures)
DD 5 (used MFWK, now using MFW 1st)

Happy2BMotherof3

Unread post by Happy2BMotherof3 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:58 pm

We are taking this week off too. I wanted to get all caught up with my housecleaning. We are in week 6 in Adventures and my son loves it! He keeps asking me to do 2 days worth...because he wants me to read more of the history. This is good........it keeps him interested. I just stick with one day at a time so as not to overdo myself and him.

southernshae

Unread post by southernshae » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:26 am

We are in the "home stretch" , finishing week 29 this week. We have learned so much this year (and had fun doing it). We, too, sometimes got a little ahead on a read aloud. When that happened, I just used a book basket book for the read aloud because there were so many that I just wanted to read to them.

Right now we are finishing up Mountain Born......I'll admit this one was hard to get into at first, but in the end you see how wonderfully it goes with the theme of Jesus the Good Shepherd.

Also, the kids are greatly enjoying the Magnet Kit and having a wonderful time identifying birds who are snacking outside at our little bird cafe we set up. They laid on the ground as still as could be yesterday and waited till birds (mostly titmice and chickadees) got really close to them.

My dd is getting a little weary of the state sheets (they've done 37), but my ds would do 4 a day if I'd let him! My dd has really gotten into how children/people lived in the past, and my ds is just so into the geography aspect. Aren't they all just so wonderfully and uniquely (okay I don't think that spelling looks right LOL) created?

Merry Christmas!
Southernshae
4 dc (3 in ps, 1 dc at home)
MFW1 ...slowly.. with ds
Past user of MFW1, ADV, and ECC

angelsoup

Unread post by angelsoup » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:45 am

We just finished week 19. We are just finishing Farmer Boy. My youngest has declared he wants to be just like Almanzo when he grows up. Can I have some oxen if we move to a farm? The boys have started looking for every Little House on the Prairie episode there is. We have gotten into the habit of watching a show while eating breakfast. Talking about the hardships the pioneers faced.

I can't wait to get back to school and see what Marie has in store for us next. I am also starting to get really excited about ECC, but now I am getting ahead of myself.

Merry Christmas to everyone.
Debra
Mom to William (13) and Joshua (11)
MFW Adventures '06-'07
ECC '07-'08
Back to the Basics '08-'09
CtoG '09-'10

beltran4christ

Unread post by beltran4christ » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:48 am

Debra my son Joshua loves the book Farmer Boy. We have it on cd so he has listened to it often and tells me what he has learned. He even drew a picture of Almanzo. My kiddos enjoy the Little House movies too.

Enjoy your vacation :)
Blessings,
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98 Calvert 2nd
Annette 9/99 Calvert 2nd
Caleb 9/00 MFW1st
Brent 10/01 MFWK
Lance 8/04 MFW Pre-K

JoyfulDancer

Unread post by JoyfulDancer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:46 pm

We just got back from 2 weeks of vacation in FL, and are taking today to finish up some of the "fun stuff" from week 12 that didn't get done before. We are really enjoying Adventures. Making the quill pens and ink and writing with them was a huge hit here. We used frozen raspberries, which resulted in a deep red on the paper. We just started the state pages, and so far my girls like them a lot. Tonight we are going to try to make the peach cobbler. We're really looking forward to making the bird feeder and other bird projects.

So far we have loved all the read alouds and many book basket selections. I have also added a few read-alouds when we finished early. We read a Pocahontas story by the same author as Squanto, and just finished The Cabin Faced West, which was great. We are currently reading a brand new book about a Jewish family who emigrates to New Amsterdam in the 1630s. So far it seems pretty historically accurate, and entertaining too.

Thanks for asking for the update from everyone.
Laurie

beltran4christ

Unread post by beltran4christ » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:38 pm

It's fun to see what others are doing. We finished up our 2nd week and the kids love it!!

Since we just started, I was thinking about having another Thanksgiving dinner when we get to that part of ADV. I think it will be a lot of fun.

Blessings,
Linda Mom to
Joshua 5/98 Calvert 2nd
Annette 9/99 Calvert 2nd
Caleb 9/00 MFW1st
Brent 10/01 MFWK
Lance 8/04 MFW Pre-K

beltran4christ

Unread post by beltran4christ » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:16 pm

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:54 pm

Hi Everyone,
We will start week 14 on Monday and have been really, really enjoying ADV!

I am so happy that I bought the State Sheet/Cards for my 6 year old son too, because he really enjoy doing them along with his brother & sister.

Where are you all at?
Blessings,

JenniferF

Unread post by JenniferF » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:06 pm

Hi there. We are on week 20 of Adventures. My daughter loves Lewis and Clark so we are reading extra about them. We live in St Louis so we will be going to see the Arch soon and will also go to the Museum of Westward Expansion under the Arch.

Toni@homezcool4us

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:22 pm

Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:44 am

We're in week 22 of Adventures. My dd has loved any topic to do with slavery, including Eli Whitney's cotton gin and its impact on slavery. From this interest, she is now off on civil rights tangent, enjoying movies such as And The Children Shall Lead (great family film) and books like The Story Of Ruby Bridges. I love watching her take interest these very significant topics.

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:23 pm

Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:41 pm

We are on week #25 in ADV after our "mid-winter break" last week. We are right on track for where we wanted to be at this point! Hooray. It doesn't always seem to go that way :)

I'm excited to make corn casserole tomorrow...we didn't have any corn in the house - imagine that! It's such a staple, I never thought to check the freezer to make sure it was there.

What I love about the state study: We have friends and family in so many different states, the kids love it when I tell them the state of the day and they say, "Hey, that's where my friend Jacob lives!" It makes it all the more interesting to mark it on the map - Oh, I just got an idea, I want to make little houses to mark the states where we have friends!!! Cool, my kids will love to do a little "recap" and put their friends on the map! What a great display to have at the end of the year. Thanks My Father's World.