Weeks 29-30 Russia

If you are using Exploring Countries and Cultures, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

Weeks 29-30 Russia

Unread post by Marie » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:18 pm

Weeks 29-30
Russia

Julie in MN

RUSSIA

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat May 21, 2005 10:01 pm

1. Ds really has enjoyed the fairy tales & folk tales this year, & Russia was another one rich in this area. He begged for more! In Luba, the dedication has a nice go-along Bible verse.

2. As usual, ds loved the little walrus math activity in the teacher guide, which he also focused on for his science page.

3. The classical music ideas were nice to use. Also, reading the recommended Peter & the Wolf book WITH a CD of it was EXCELLENT!

4. There is a Geography Songs tape with a "Former USSR" song that ds learned with his co-op, while they studied the areas around Israel. It was a good song to learn the "-stans," as we call them :o)

5. For those in MN who are visiting our capital city, the Russian Tea House is an authentic, very small, Russian-family-run restaurant serving piroshkis and a couple other things (closed on Mondays & bring cash).

6. In Russia especially, I had ds "find the capital" & cities himself, resisting the temptation to point to them myself. (Maybe doing this was recommended in the teacher manual & I had drifted away from it?) This got him to look more closely at Asian countries, revealed Russians mostly living on the European side, etc.

7. As we finished up Asia, I made a little review because ds was mixing up the 5 countries we "visited." He matched the 5 Asian countries with the food we tried, flag, women's clothing, games, a word we learned, missionaries (including the Hazells of course!), population, etc. E-mail if you would like to try it. (You would want to revise it to fit the things your family focused on.)

8. Or, there is a Russia quiz online here that I am thinking of using later as a review: I think we may have learned most of this info?
http://www.svjhs.lcsd2.org/nhokanson/so ... uizzes.pdf

9. If you read Jan Brett's "The Mitten," there are "How to Draw" pages at her web site:
www.janbrett.com/images/how_to_draw_a_hedgehog.gif
www.janbrett.com/learn_to_draw_a_bear.htm
Even a little video lesson www.janbrett.com/video/video_main_page.htm
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Tina

Unread post by Tina » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:22 pm

We have wrapped up our study on Russia and on Asia this week. It is convention week and I am shorting us one day on Russia, but we did get everything done. Our highlights included:

1. Matryoshka doll boxes and jeweled eggs. We all loved this! The boxes were a great hit with the dc, I think dd had hoped I would find the nesting dolls instead of boxes, I didn't see any of those. The Jeweled eggs were fun to do, as it was just after the Easter season and after reading Rechenka's Eggs. It was a fun craft country for us.

2. The books recommended for this country were some of our favorites (do I say that everytime?). We love Patricia Polacco and Jan Brett books. We read a few from both authors during our Russia study. Letters from Rifka and The Endless Steppe were books I would also recommend be read! They were good. Both dc didn't want me to put them down. We cried with each one of these true stories and thanked God that each members of these families survived their ordeals and to write about it. We also thanked God for our country and safety, warm homes, food to eat and clothes to wear.

3. Peter and the Wolf book and CD were fun. Enjoyed re-visiting that.

4. Science experiment on perma-frost was a good visual for dc. Clams and walrus math challenge was fun for dd. We were amazed at the number of clams that must be living where walruses live! For the second week in Russia, it says to research the arctic area as optional. A couple of books we found helpful for this (I believe they are on the recommended reading list also) were: One Small Square; Arctic Tundra by D. Silver and Eyewitness Books; Arctic and Antacrtic by B. Taylor. Each day we read a couple of sections of the One Small Square and did a science journal page of it. There are also some small experiments in there that might interest some.

5. Tomorrow Nana and dc are going to make a Russian honey cake. That should be fun for all. (Edited later: The russian honey cake that Nana and dc made is like a brown bread. They did not add the raisins. It was good)

6. Dd also enjoys reading Dear America series. She found the Dear America video and book about Zipporah Feldman, a jewish immigrant girl from Russia. She really liked this.

We look forward to Australia.
Tina, homeschooling mother of Laura (1996), Jacob (1998) and Tucker (2003) In MO
"One of the greatest blessings of heaven is the appreciation of heaven on earth. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."--JIM ELLIOT

smicketysmock

Russian craft

Unread post by smicketysmock » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:33 pm

We will be doing Russia near Easter time. In the spring Hearthsong catalog, there is a kit for Ukranian eggs. I ordered it, and it looks like a lot of fun. My oldest (10 1/2) and I will work on the eggs in April. It looks like this kit will go very well with Rechenka's Eggs. I thought I'd give some you fellow ECCers a heads up if you are interested.

Disclaimer: I've yet to use the kit, but it does have very good instructions and pictures to help. :)

Charlotte

Sandy

Drawing St. Basil's Cathedral

Unread post by Sandy » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:02 am

When we used ECC last year, one of the suggested activities during the study of Russia was to "research and sketch St. Basil's Cathedral." We did this with the help of library books and the encyclopedia, but I wanted to let people know that I found a book that might assist in the sketching part of this assignment. I happened across it at the library when searching for something totally unrelated to St. Basil's. Lee J. Ames is the author/illustrator of the "Draw 50" series. The book Draw 50 Buildings and Other Structures includes St. Basil's. From what I can tell about this series, the books can be very helpful to a person wanting to produce a picture, and my son who loves to draw is enjoying them. I would not use them in place of an art course teaching perspective and technique, but as a fun supplement. I think the method and philosophy of this series do mesh well with the Charlotte Mason method of imitating great artists/authors through narration. This is just narration/copywork in drawing.

Sandy

humpty

Unread post by humpty » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:43 am

Voice of the Martyrs has an activity and informational book called Bold Believers in Ukraine. it is not about Russia per se, but it is a resource that tells about the people in that part of the world. It is $10 and is jam-packed with information about the peoples, their religion and the difference in Christianity, activities, recipes, games, and so much more.

Voice of the Martyrs website for children is www.kidsofcourage.com

This link has some charts comparing Christianity with other religions (scroll down on the page) http://www.persecution.com/link/archives.cfm

Heidi

sharing some Russian ECC book titles

Unread post by Heidi » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:36 am

Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:47 pm

I came across some really good titles this year for Christmas stories and information regarding Christmas in Russia that I thought I would pass along:

The Miracle of Saint Nicholas - by Gloria Whelan, illustrated by Judith Borwn. This story is not about St. Nicholas the actual saint. It is a story about a church in Russia called St. Nicholas. Told through the eyes of a small boy who helps to open his church back up for Christmas after 60 years of non-use while his Babushka then tells why it was closed all those years. Thus, it very tactfully introduces the fact that Russians did not have Christmas during the Soviet period. And also gives a window into the Russian culture a little bit as to some of their Christmas traditions. There is mention of this church's special St. Nicholas icon for which is the church is named and thus the book - so it also introduces a bit of Orthodox Russian church history without going into doctrine.

Christmas in Russia (from World book) - has history of Christmas in Russia in it, stories about traditions in Russia, a few crafts, recipes and Russian Christmas carols in it. A wonderful book.

Uncle Vova's Tree - by Patricia Polacco. A wonderful story about some Russian Christmas tradtions.

Several titles about Matryoshkas - The Magic Nesting Doll by Jacqueline Ogburn and beuatifully illustrated by Laurel Long - this a lovely fairy tale; The Littlest Matryoshka by Corinne Bliss, pictures by Kathryn Brown - the tiniest Matryoshka goes on an adventure; Sasha's Matrioshka Dolls by Jana Dillon, pictures by Deborah Lattimore - a lovely warm loving and funny story.

Babsushka stories: Babushka by Sandra Horn and pictures by Sopie Fatus; and two more titles by Partricia Polacco - Babushka Baba Yaga and Babuskhas Doll.

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:37 am

Here's another one that always comes up on our Thanksgiving list:

Molly's Pilgrim

It's about a Russian girl new to America who doesn't speak English very well and gets mocked at public school quite a bit. She gets an assignment to make a pilgrim doll and bring it to class for show and tell at Thanksgiving time. She tries to make a traditional "American" pilgrim, but her mother helps with the doll that night while she's sleeping and turns it into a doll that looks like her. She gets to tell the class the next day that SHE is a pilgrim -- an adventurer starting a new life in America. It opens up communication with her classmates and she makes friends after that.

It's available as both a book and video. We really enjoyed the Russian music background in the video.

YooperMama

Russian egg craft site

Unread post by YooperMama » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:24 am

We enjoyed getting ideas for, and printing out for the younger children, Russian eggs from this site:
http://www.papereggs.com/russian.htm
Jen,
2006-2007 Adventures, w/ a 3, 5 and 7 year old.
2007-2008 ECC, w/ the same children, a year older.

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Fri May 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Another cool site for ECC:

http://www.kidsculturecenter.com/russia ... dspage.htm

This is an adoption helps site, but there are some cool resources you can use with younger children. We stumbled upon it while we were researching St. Basil's Cathedral. We read & printed out the 'learn' portion and then added the coloring page. Both items went in our Asia section of our World Notebook.

PS ~ this site also says it has resources for Mexico, China, India, and more, but the Russia kid's page is the best by far. Some are still under development.

HTH :)

LSH in MS

Russian Manyick

Unread post by LSH in MS » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:59 am

We loved the Russian Manyick. We had do to Russia for an international fair so my 9 yr old made it for that. It was a big hit and simple to do.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

CharleneHoell

Russia permafrost idea

Unread post by CharleneHoell » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:09 pm

We are on our first week of Russia and my oldest ds did not like the idea of putting soil over jello. So I found another idea in one of Janice Van Cleave's science books using crushed Oreo cookies for the soil and vanilla ice cream for the snow. You let the ice cream melt through the Oreos and the Jello still acts as the permafrost. The best part is that you get to eat it when you're all done! Thought some doing ECC would enjoy this :-)

Blessings, Charlene
Married to a wonderful husband for 18 yrs
Daughter of the King!
Been loving MFW for 8 years!
Ds 10th grade
Ds 8th grade
Dd 5th grade
Ds 2nd grade

sonbailes

Re: Weeks 29-30 Russia

Unread post by sonbailes » Sun May 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Russia and Matryoshkas Ideas:

1) We found a website where you can print, color and cut out paper matryoshkas. It is based on the story of the ten lepers that Jesus healed and only one returned to thank him (Luke 17: 11 - 19). A poem is included that you can read after discussing the story. Found at http://www.mssscrafts.com/crafts/lepers

2) We also purchased unfinished matryoshka dolls at Amazon which we designed and painted ourselves. You can choose from many sizes and numbers of dolls per set. Prices start at $8.00.

3) While at Amazon, we also ordered Russian ABC's by Ann Berge. It is an alphabetical overview of information and facts about Russia. This book was most helpful since our library had no books about Russia!

Enjoy! SeaB

mgardenh

Re: ECC food preparation for Children with allergies

Unread post by mgardenh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:42 pm

doubleportion wrote:I have seen a few posts in the archive where people mentioned recipes for children with food allergies. I was trying to find out if there are any other families dealing with complex food allergies on the board. My ds 3yrs has been diagnosed with complex multiple food allergies just within the past six weeks. Finishing up ECC is looking harder with his limitations on food. I used to do the end of the country celebration and make lots of things. He has always enjoyed being a part of things especially the country focused meal. But the past two countries I haven't really done much because I can't figure out how to modify the recipes to make them so he can eat them. Ideas? Experiences?

Edie
Edie,
It can be very difficult to cook with a child with multiple food allergies. Please feel free to pm me. Thankfully for the internet there are lots of recipes out there for substituting. My dd is allergic to dairy, egg, wheat, soy, rice, chicken, beef, pork, corn, and many others. If you want to know what we do email me or pm me and we can talk off post.

But what we do sometimes rather then food is crafts and decorations. If there are specific recipes you need let me know. You will be amazed at what you can do with so little.

Off topic. You might want to check into National Jewish hospital in Denver. My dd spent 3 weeks there and God did amazing things to help us.

To supplement so he gets everything he needs nutritionally you can use Neo-Cate or Ele-Care. These are elemental medical foods that provide everything your child needs. He have to use Ele-Care because our dd can't tolerate Neocate. I will warn you it is very very expensive. Ele-care cost $287 for six cans but it is a life saver for us.

I will try to help you with recipes and whatever else you need. You can go to our dd website in my sig and check out our experience.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:27 pm

hmm, so you've got Russia coming up? Can you do a Saturday breakfast "feast?"

Instead of traditional blini (pancakes) you could try Almond Pancakes (I'm not seeing a nut allergy listed, forgive me if you can't have this).

Yeast-Free Almond Pancakes -
1 cup almond flour; 2 eggs; 1/4 cup water; 1.5 Tbsp oil; 1/4 teaspoon salt; 1 Tbsp. Sweet n Natural; 1/2 tsp baking powder.
(Sweet n Natural is an erythritol sweetener, 1:1 with sugar for taste. You could also use Xylitol or a dash of Stevia.)
Cook on a griddle like a "normal" pancake, or spread out to make a big, thin blini and serve with all-fruit spread.

Or make cream of rice and call it "Rice Kasha."

I have also done a very "untraditional" version of Stroganoff, which is more like "Cyndi-helper" (as opposed to hamburger helper).

Brown thin strips of sirloin steak in hot oil in a frying pan. Add 1/4 cup rice flour mixed with 1 cup water or rice milk and stir to make gravy, adding salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder to taste. Thin with more liquid as necessary. Serve over hot rice or hot cooked brown rice noodles. (Tinkyada is my favorite brand of gluten-free noodles, just brown rice and water.)
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Edie,
I thought of a recipe for Russia. We use it regularly. Boiled potatoes. Peel the potatoes. Boil until soft (cooked well about 20 min). Any potato will work. Take 1/3 cup of safe oil(we use canola), 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper. Mix together and pour over potatoes. This is actually better the second day (the dressing soaks in and gives a nice flavor. So you could make this the day before and then heat up to serve the next day. My dd can't have vinegar so I just use the oil and salt for her(i take our a potato or two for her and make it separate).

We feel God has allowed us to have our situation so we can help others. So please feel free to ask any question and get any info. We want to help others with food allergies.

If you can get Tynkada brand of rice noodle they are the best (awesome) we serve them and people don't know anything different. We get them at our Walmart in the gluten free section but most health food stores carry them.
doubleportion wrote:It is cool to see how God allows each of us struggles, challenges, and valleys so that when one of our brothers or sisters in Christ deals with something similar we can be there alongside them to cheer, encourage, and inform. God is good!
:)
Edie
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

doubleportion

Unread post by doubleportion » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:14 am

Just a quick note to say we did finally do the permafrost experiment in ECC (for week 28). We did the modified version suggested with cookies and ice cream. I used jello (which didn't have any of ds listed allergens) then Pamela's gluten free double dark chocolate cookies crushed for "soil" and So-Delicious coconut ice cream for "ice". Kids enjoyed it greatly. And I love how the light came on for dd. Kids loved having jello since they only get it about twice a year in our house!

Kids are watching Bolshoi Ballet's production of Nutcracker and dd enjoyed looking at the credits in Russian.

Mama M

Unread post by Mama M » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:59 pm

Hello,
I found myself not prepared to do the matryoshka Doll Boxes suggested in the teacher's manual/global art book because I didn't have nor order any nesting boxes. I went online and found this craft that I plan to do instead - http://www.mssscrafts.com/crafts/matryushka/. They may not be as "cool" or as fun of a keepsake as the boxes, but I think they will be memorable.

Also, I think I am going to do the jeweled/imperial egg craft that I found online at Michaels - http://www.michaels.com/Lesson-Plan%3A% ... techniques. It uses hardening modeling clay for the eggs. My kids did a real egg last year for Christmas at a homeschool Christmas Around the World party. The modeling clay will last longer - I'm hoping!

Blessings,
Kristi

Cyndi (AZ)

ECC Russian apple pie - Pirog

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:26 pm

I converted this recipe to gluten-free, and I'm wondering if what we got is similiar to what we were supposed to get! Did anyone do this recipe and end up with a cake like dessert - with somewhat firm apple pieces?

I chunked the apples into bite size (maybe 1/2" - 1" cubes) pieces. I used 1 cup of gf flour mix (mostly rice flour) and added xanthan gum. Plus, I baked it in a convection oven. The top browned beautifully, the dessert was puffy and light, and it tasted yummy, but it was like bread pudding. We ate it warm with whipped cream. It was very sweet!

Can anyone confirm that this recipe is more like bread pudding than a slice of pie or even cake? All's well that end's well - my dh absolutely loved it! I'm just not sure it was very authentic. I come from a long line of blue-ribbon apple pie winners, so I can assure you that it was NOT as American as apple pie! But was it Russian?
cbollin wrote:I know I have made it. It's been a while. I don't remember. But I sent you some pictures of the recipe from some food/recipe online place (via PM). did it look like any of those? they look cake like/pudding bread like to me. and yummy.

I grabbed the recipe you are talking about from the Another Trip Around World book. got the oven turned on. and began to look for ingredients. I have it except I don't see the flour.
In walks youngest, who knows where every grocery in our house is (it's her job to sort it and put it away).. "sweetie, where the bag of flour? I don't see it."
she answers '"It's at the store!"

was it Russian? I don't know.... (uh let's ask a Hazell) :-)
LOL! That's awesome! :-) I *just* answered your pm. Yep - picture was close enough. I must not have baked mine long enough. Who knows, though -- gluten-free may not bake up that brown.

Maybe I should post a pic of mine and ask a Hazell? ;) I wasn't brave enough to do that before I knew if it was even close . . .
cbollin wrote:oh this is good. from your description with gluten free version and what I just made this morning for breakfast (yes, I went to the store).... yum yum.

I'm reminded of the consistency in some ways with the Russian "corn bread" dish in EX1850... which I think was Marie's recipe. something that you can toss together when friends just drop by for a visit without much warning. I've heard that culturally that's just normal for friends.

this was really good for breakfast. I had these older apples in the fridge that were needing something done..
Oh, good for you! It was so easy to throw together, I think I'll try it again and bake it longer (it was a just a bit doughie in the center). It was really good chilled the next day!

For gluten-free, I just switched to 1 cup gf flour blend, and added 1/8 tsp xanthan gum. The convection oven gave the top a thumpable crust like homemade bread, but it was really soft inside. It truly was like bread pudding.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Erna

Re: ECC Russian apple pie - Pirog

Unread post by Erna » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 pm

I haven't made it yet (we are only starting into Europe and that's on hold for the fall) but boy does it make me think of German Apple Pie that my parents used to make. If it is similar, I will have to make sure I take some to my parents! Ooh, you guys are making me curious and hungry!

Have a great day!

jasntas

Unread post by jasntas » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:30 pm

Mama M wrote:Hello,
I found myself not prepared to do the matryoshka Doll Boxes suggested in the teacher's manual/global art book because I didn't have nor order any nesting boxes. I went online and found this craft that I plan to do instead - http://www.mssscrafts.com/crafts/matryushka/. They may not be as "cool" or as fun of a keepsake as the boxes, but I think they will be memorable.

Blessings,
Kristi
I took Krisi's advice and used the paper Matryoshka dolls she posted about. My ds didn't want to color his dolls whereas my dd took two days to color and assemble hers. Both sets still came out really cute.
Nesting Dolls in a line 2011.jpg
Nesting Dolls in a line 2011.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 15180 times
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Colleen

Where is the recipe for borscht?

Unread post by Colleen » Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am

We are doing ECC on our second time around (1st edition) and are currently in Russia. I remember making a really good borscht soup from a MFW recipe, but I don't know what year it was in. I was hoping I would find it in the ECC manual, but alas it is not there. Anyone know where it is? I'm thinking it must have been either RtR or Ex1850. Part of the trouble is that I don't even remember if it was from a teacher's manual or some other book. Thanks!
TriciaMR wrote:Colleen,

That would be Week 24 in RTR.

Happy eating!
Thanks Trish! I'm impressed that you could remember where to find that after doing RtR two years ago! We'll probably make it soon. Thanks again!
Colleen in MI
Wife to Dave (for almost 20 years) and Mom of four.
Currently doing:
US History to 1877 with 11th grade girl
Exp to 1850 (2nd time) with girls in 8th & 6th grades
First Grade (4th time) with only boy

TriciaMR

ECC Book Basket List - author's name variation

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:36 pm

For "Peter and the Wolf" the author should be: Sergey Prokofiev (It is listed as Serge Prokofieff in my version - who just so happens to be a real author, but not the author of Peter and the Wolf. :) )
4Truth wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, I believe they're the same person.... just different spellings of his name, which is Russian. ;) When you google the two, you see both spellings pop up. But they do appear to be the same person.
Ah. Well, in my library's database, they are two different people. Peter and the Wolf does not come up under Serge Prokofieff - it comes up with the other spelling.
4Truth wrote:I find that error with our library ALL the time.... I often have to type in something two or three or four different ways..... only to find out that the problem is the way they typed in the data. 8|

I just checked ours for Peter and the Wolf out of curiosity, and they have it listed under Sergey Prokofiev as well. BUT apparently, Prokofieff was born on November 23rd of that year, and Prokofiev was born on April 23rd! :~

Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev: Prokofiev returned to Russia in 1936. He enjoyed some success there – notably with Peter and the Wolf...

Serge Sergeievich Prokofieff: He has genuine hits: Peter and the Wolf...

Evidently someone on the internet made a typo in his birthdate. Imagine that.... an error on the internet. 8[]

Ah well, fun with a slight distraction! :)
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

zeo2ski

Re: ECC Book Basket List - author's name variation

Unread post by zeo2ski » Tue May 06, 2014 3:08 pm

Yeah I wish the library database would pop up stuff that is of similar spelling. Make one tiny typo and they come up with zero hits. Kind of a pain sometimes, but still faster than card catalogue, and ordering ahead from home is so valuable with lots of littles!

djlonderee

Unread post by djlonderee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Oriental Trading has wooded Russian nesting dolls that you can paint on your own. You can also buy some kits through AMazon for only $10 for a 5 piece kit. We bought them and our kids decided upon painting animals on them as advertised on the website, such as dog, cat, mouse, etc. But you could paint whatever you want. They also have wooden eggs that open on the top that you can paint and decorate as faberge eggs.

We also bought a 3D puzzle of St Basil's cathedral from Amazon.....it might take us way longer than one week to finish it though.....