#10 - Water

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#10 - Water

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:18 pm

Lesson #10 Water

Maria

W-W-Water books

Unread post by Maria » Mon May 24, 2004 7:48 pm

Author: Maria
Date: 10/21/2002

Hi! I had to share this 2 neat resource books we found at our library. We are doing "water" subject and came across these incredible books. "Oceans and Rivers" A Child's Guide to God's Living Waters and "Lightning and Rainbows" A child's Guide to God's Wonders in the Sky by Michael Carroll. He also has "Spinning Worlds" and "Volcanoes and Earthquakes". We can't wait to check those out. They are great books and have wonderful illustrations. Thay have been a blessing to us and hope they are to you too.
Bye!

JenniferF

Unread post by JenniferF » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:40 am

I found some great online resources for teaching the water cycle.

This one has a few activity and craft ideas. There is also a story about Drippy---but warning you that it does not COMPLETE the water cycle-- it takes you to another page that says, to get the complete story, order it here. Bummer. But you could make up the last few scenes and finish it. Definately worth checking out the other pages in it though.

http://www.first-school.ws/activities/s ... drippy.htm

This page has a good description of the water cycle and print outs of it at the bottom of the page.

http://www.kidzone.ws/water/index.html
Jennifer

chrellis

water activities

Unread post by chrellis » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:16 am

Here are a few fun water activities from the Zoom website at PBS. My daughter actually initiated these activities. We were discussing ice as a solid form of water, and she took me to the kitchen, started pulling out bowls, and did the Rising Ice. She had watched the kids do it on Zoom some time ago and remembered. Then she proceeded to do the Soap Powered Boat, and told me we had to make ice cream with ice too. It's funny the things kids remember!

http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/phen ... dboat.html

http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/phen ... ngice.html

http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/cafe ... cream.html

Liesl A.

good book for water experiments

Unread post by Liesl A. » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:50 am

We used a book called "Let's Try It Out in the Water" by Semour Simon and Nicole Fauteux. The girls (ages 5, almost 4 and 2 1/2) had a great time testing what would float, etc, and now they are giddily pouring water from container to container. (After I draped the entire eating area with every towel I could find, of course! We are using water indoors, since it is below freezing outside...)

Liesl A.

Liberty In Christ

Unread post by Liberty In Christ » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:00 am

Here is a site that has water sounds that you can listen to online. Just enter the search for water.

http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll
Love in Jesus,
Theresa

Loving wife to Scott, Mommy to Samantha 11, Jonathan 10,
Christopher 6 and Andrew 2

Winkie

Books

Unread post by Winkie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:32 am

Here are some books we used with this unit:
Water as a Liquid by Helen Frost
Water as a Solid by Helen Frost
Water as a Gas by Helen Frost
Follow the Water From Brook to Ocean by Arthur Dorros
A Cool Drink of Water by Barbara Kerley (gorgeous pictures of people around the world enjoying a drink in different ways)
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

SandKsmama

GREAT book for Ww water

Unread post by SandKsmama » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:29 pm

I Get Wet by Vicki Cobb.

It explains the concepts pertaining to water SO clearly - and with simple fun "experiments". I felt like my 5 year old understood soo much better after we read this book - much better than if I had just tried to explain it.
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

Asthedeer

Water song

Unread post by Asthedeer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:27 pm

Hi all! While my son and I were doing homeschooling we were listening to Christian radio and this was as I was trying to describe to him what living water from the Lord meant a song came on that says, "your love is like water to me". I tried to look it up online and find out who it was by but did'nt find anything. Seemed like the song came on just for us. Our God is an awesome God!

mrs_mike98

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:46 am

A beautiful book we enjoyed was Water Dance by Thomas Locker. The pictures are gorgeous and its a nice story about how water goes from streams to rivers, to oceans, into the clouds, and back to the earth.
Erin, blessed mama to 5 boys :-)

Mom2MnS

Unread post by Mom2MnS » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:08 am

Posted: Tue May 15, 2007 9:18 pm

Field trip idea: Water treatment plant

mamanamadee

Water Books

Unread post by mamanamadee » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:14 pm

A couple of books I have for our W-water unit:

All You Ever Need by Max Lucado

I Am Snow by Jean Marzollo (a Scholastic "Hello Reader" they had at Wal-Mart--to go with Day 3)
2010-2011 preparing for MFW CTG in the fall
2009-2010 MFW 1st and pre-K/toddler toys
2008-2009 MFW ECC, K, and pre-K/toddler toys
dd12, dd7, ds3

fruitbake

Solid or Liquid? Oobleck

Unread post by fruitbake » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:27 pm

Making "Ooblick" is fun for when discussing solids and liquids. It acts like both, it has both a shape like a solid and it flows like a liquid:

Mix 1 box of cornstarch with about 1 1/2 cups of water in a big bowl until smooth and completely combined.

When squeezed it feels like a solid and will break, when pushed it flows and acts like a liquid.

Also: Dr. Seuss wrote a book called the "Bartholomew and the Oobleck" that talks about a similar make-believe substance. It is a fun read along.

fruitbake

A Solid and a Liquid make a Gas

Unread post by fruitbake » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:56 pm

Use a funnel to put about 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a balloon. Then fill a soda bottle about 1/2 full of vinegar. Carefully pull the opening of the balloon over the top of the bottle. Then stand the balloon upright so the baking soda falls into the bottle. When the solid (baking soda) and liquid (vinegar) mix, a gas forms (carbon dioxide) that inflates the balloon!

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:24 pm

MFW K and autism

My daughter loves water activities, so this was a fun unit.

We really enjoyed the activity about "asking for water". Good to do with language and social skills therapies too. Additionally we found it helpful to continue to work on safety skills in this unit when near the stove. Time to also let her have a squirt bottle and clean many things with water. Life skills too.

Enjoyed several of the books listed in this forum.

and our library had Splash! all about baths! so that was a hit over here.

-crystal

Candi

Re: #10 - Water

Unread post by Candi » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Here are some fun experiments we did with water....

These were found in Bathtub Science by Shar Levine and Leslie Johnstone.

Lil' Hydroplane--

1. On a 2 inch square piece of foil, draw a small, simple house shape with a small, oblong "door" shape in the center of the front of the piece of aluminum foil. Cut along the outline of the house, cutting out the door shape. Discard the leftover foil. This is your miniature boat; the cutout door is the boat's "tank".

2. Fill a bowl (or tub) with water and place the boat in the water with its front end facing away from you and "tank" (door) facing towards you.

3. Using a toothpick, drop a small drop of dishwashing liquid (this is your "fuel") into the "tank" (door).

What happened:
Your boat jetted across the water. When the soap was placed into the "tank", the molecules that make up soap and the molecules that make up water spread out on the surface of the water, and they had only one direction they could move in. They moved out through the gap at the back of the boat. Just like the jet engines that move real hydroplanes by shooting out hot gases, the water shooting out the back of your boat drove it forward. The boat won't keep working forever. Eventually, the surface of the water gets too full of dish soap and your boat stops moving. But fill the bowl (or tub) with fresh water and it will work again as good as new.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************
Water Glue--

1. Fill one glass with water and place a second glass on a flat, stable surface. Pour water from the first glass into the second until the second glass is filled to the very top.

2. Add one penny at a time to the glass of water by sliding the penny over the edge of the glass. Do not drop the penny into the water. How may pennies do you think you can put into the glass before the water spills over the edge?

3. Keep adding pennies one at a time. Each time you add a penny, look at the glass from the side. What does the water's surface look like when you look at it from this angle?

4. When the water begins to run down the outside of the glass, stop adding pennies. Dump out all the water and count the pennies. How may are in the glass?

5. Repeat step 1, only this time add a tablespoon of salt to the water in the first glass before you pour it into the second. Slide pennies over the edge again. How many pennies did you add before the water began to drip?

What happened:
When you added the first few pennies, the water did not drip over the edge of the glass. Instead, the water formed a shallow dome shape above the rim of the glass. This is because the molecules that water is made up of are attracted to each other more than they are attracted to the molecules that make up the air or the plastic glass. The parts that make up the top surface of the water form a film or "skin". This thin film or skin, lifts up to form a dome shape as each additional penny is added and the pennies "stick" to the water. When enough pennies are added, the film cannot hold all the water beneath, so it breaks and the water begins to drip down the side of the glass. When salt is added to the water, it makes the water less sticky. This means that fewer pennies can be added before the water drips over.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************
Pop Bottle Hip Hop--

1. Place a coin over the top of a plastic bottle (a 2 liter bottle and quarter work well). Choose the coin that fits best over the bottle's opening and most tightly seals the bottle. Keep this coin handy for the experiment.

2. Place the empty bottle in the fridge for about an hour, so it is really cold.

3. Fill a bowl (or tub) with warm water. Remove the bottle from the fridge. Dip your hand into the water and add a few drops of water to the rim of the bottle. Place the coin on the wet rim. The water will form a seal between the coin and the rim of the bottle.

4. Hold the bottle in two hands and slowly lower it into the warm water. Make sure you keep the bottle level, so the coin doesn't fall off. Your coin should start dancing. If it doesn't, check the seal to make sure there is water between the coin and rim of the bottle.

What happened:
The water warmed the air in the bottle. When air is warmed up, its entropy increases and the molecules (tiny particles) that make up the air move faster and away from each other, to become more disordered. This made the air expand, or swell up. When the air in the bottle swelled up enough, it pushed up on the coin and some of the air escaped. The coin dropped back down and sealed the mouth of the bottle again. Then the air began to swell up some more, and each time the coin lifted and dropped back down, more of the air escaped.

Devotional Soul

Unread post by Devotional Soul » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:42 am

Another nice living library book following a drop's journey to many different countries:

A Drop Around The World by Barbara Shaw McKinney

squishyE03

Unread post by squishyE03 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:31 am

I came across this blog today and thought this science Experiment would be really cool for this unit. here is the link to the blog http://mygratitudeattitudes.blogspot.co ... -rain.html I hope it comes through.
If it does not here is the experiment.
Rain in a Jar
Supplies: Glass Jar with Metal Lid
Hot water (HOT but not boiling)
Ice Cubes

Put hot water into the jar. Put lid on the jar upside down. Fill lid with ice cubes. Wait a few minutes and you will see moisture build up and dripping like Rain!

Why this works: Warm moist air from the hot water rises up and hits the cold air created from the Ice cubes. it condenses and turns to water vapor and rains!

We have not tried this yet but we will in a week when we do the water Unit. Can't wait. Glad I found this today and not 2 weeks from now. LOL Jodi

worshiplady26

Unread post by worshiplady26 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:29 pm

Here's some great things we found to add to this unit.

song - to the tune of 'she'll be comin' round the mountain'
http://www.proteacher.org/a/12048_Water_Cycle_Song.html

color page
http://www.kidzone.ws/water/bactivity1.htm

science experiment
http://www-k12.atmos.washington.edu/k12 ... rpage.html

squishyE03

Unread post by squishyE03 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Saw this on my Facebook and had to share it here. This is gonna come in handy when I do Kindy with my daughter. she LOVES all music and picks up things in song much faster than me reading to her. LOL

The Old Schoolhouse Magazine Renee shares: Our local park does a monthly nature lesson called "Homeschoolers In the Park" This month's lesson was the water cycle. They taught the kids this great song.To the tune "She'll be coming around the Mountain" Water travels in a cycle Round & Round Water travels in a cycle Round & round It goes up as EVAPORATION Forms clouds as CONDENSATION Then comes down as PRECIPITATION Round & Round.

mnmmomjen

The Water Hole by Graeme Base

Unread post by mnmmomjen » Fri May 20, 2011 10:55 am

The Water Hole, is a beautifully-illustrated book showing how water impacts animals around the world. Animals are featured from almost every continent, and there are hidden pictures for kids to find. My kindergarten-aged son loves this book; it was a good substitute for the books listed in the teacher's guide, which were hard to find at our local libraries.

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Netflix Streaming -

Sid the Science Kid:Change Happens, Episode 3 - "My Ice Pops" - When Sid wakes up, he finds that his ice pops have melted, which leads him to ask," Why do things melt?" After investigating, he learns that if liquids don't stay in a frosty place, they'll gradually melt.

Just for fun we watched "Kipper:Water Play"
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Free with Amazon Prime or $1.99 per episode

Mister Rogers Season 1999, Episode 6 - "Mister Rogers has things that control water-waterfalls, fountains, faucets-and a video: how people make raincoats. He shows only water in the sink and bathtub goes down the drain. In Make-Believe, Lady Elaine is squirting water everywhere."

Mister Rogers Season 3, Episode 8 - "Mister Rogers fixes a leaky kitchen faucet. In Make-Believe, everyone is working to build a swimming pool. A pipe breaks and that changes the plan for a pool. Mister Rogers helps children know that the work people do can bring about good."

Mister Rogers Season 1982, Episode 4 - "Mister Rogers skates with ice-skating star Peggy Fleming. They talk about how doing something well takes lots of practice. In Make-Believe, Lady Elaine helps determine her "appropriate discipline" for damaging the dolls in the factory.
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

Yodergoat

Wave Bottle

Unread post by Yodergoat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:47 pm

To make a minature WAVE BOTTLE, do the following with your child:

Find a clear plastic container with a lid. A water or soda bottle with label removed works well.

Add water to about halfway full. Put in a few drops of blue food coloring to make a nice dark blue. You may choose to add glitter to the water also.

Add oil (vegetable, mineral, baby) to the top. Wipe off any oily residue from around the mouth of the bottle.

Put a bit of glue on the inside of the lid and screw it on tightly.

Now, when you turn the bottle on its side, you can clearly see the oil and water separate. Gentle rockin motions from side to side make waves. Shaking it up reminds the child that oil and water will not stay mixed.

I once used these bottles in Sunday School class with 3 year olds to help demonstrate Jesus calming the storm. They shook their bottles to make a "storm," then when I said, "Peace! Be still!" they stopped and the waves ceased. I mentioned that we can make the water in the bottle be calm, but Jesus calmed a whole sea! Gail was in that class at age 3. Now, even today when she sees her old wave bottle, she will pick it up, make a storm and say, "Peace! Be still!"

These bottles can replace the oil and water activity mentioned in the Teacher's Manual.
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Ginthemusicmama

Unread post by Ginthemusicmama » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:19 pm

Here's a playlist on youtube I made for Water, it has science experiments, songs, letter W phonics practice, etc.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x2w526eR-w