#26 - Yellow

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

#26 - Yellow

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:02 pm

Lesson #26 Yellow

Rebecca

flashlight color game

Unread post by Rebecca » Tue May 25, 2004 5:18 pm

Take 3 flash lights and stretch a balloon over each, one yellow, one red, and one blue. Then when it is dark shine the flashlights on the ceiling. Let 2 colors overlap to create a new color. We had a great time with this with my dd and a couple of her friends.....because who doesn't love an excuse to play with a flashlight:-)
Blessings,
Rebecca

Winkie

books

Unread post by Winkie » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:13 pm

Extra books we used with this unit:

Colors - Gallimard Jeunesse (information book)
My First Look at Colors - Dorling Kindersley
The Beautiful World That God Made - Rhonda G. Greene
All Things Bright and Beautiful - Cecil F. Alexander, ill. by Anna Vojtech
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

LoriB7

Rainbow cookie

Unread post by LoriB7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:58 pm

We made this cookie. Its fun and easy to make and tastes great. :)

http://www.dltk-teach.com/alphabuddies/ ... ookies.htm

Poohbee

A different spin on colors

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue May 15, 2007 4:51 pm

A neat book I found for the colors unit is called All the Colors of the Earth, by Sheila Hamanaka. It is a book about the different colors that people are, and it is written in beautifully descriptive language. It is a neat book to use because it is different than many of the other books available about colors.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

RachelT

Unread post by RachelT » Thu May 31, 2007 3:57 pm

Wow! We have completed My Father's World Kindergarten! Yay!

We began working on color name sight words on Day 1 with flashcards, so that the kids really became familiar with them throughout the unit. We also did some fun worksheets that I found on this website:
http://www.kidzone.ws/prek_wrksht/color ... sheets.htm

On Day 2 we also made a color wheel, using this worksheet: http://www.kidzone.ws/science/colorwheel.htm
I printed mine out in black and white and had the kids help me fill in the primary colors first, then the secondary colors. We also used dot stamp markers which did blend somewhat like paint, but were less messy for this sheet.

Other books that we read:
Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton (my 4 yr old dd listened and then said "I can read that, Mommy! and she did "read" it to us.)
DK "Colorful World" (small, board book)
My World of Color - by Margaret Wise Brown

On Day 6 we also read Panda Bear, Panda Bear What Do You See? by Eric Carle (About endangered animals) after reading Brown Bear, Brown Bear, then my kids used animals from both to make their own book.

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/

hollybygolly

Great Resource for Yellow Lesson

Unread post by hollybygolly » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:44 am

Hello... I just received my new Lauri toys catalog and they have a new item that would be perfect for the Yellow (color) Lesson. It's a peel and stick mosaic picture. They come in 4-packs and instead of coloring by numbers, you peel and stick little foam squares by number to create a mosaic picture (it also comes with magnets to display the completed art on your fridge!). Very cheap and looks like lots of fun, especially if you have a toddler who wants to join in. I hope this is okay to post...please inform me if it's not!! Blessings to all...
Have a blessed day loving our Savior-Holly
Mommy to: Annie and Lynne (11), Maely (8), Gracie (6) and one precious one waiting in Heaven
Completed: MFW K; 1st Grade; Adventures; ECC
Currently using~MFW 1st grade (again!); Rome to Reformation

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Mon May 12, 2008 11:16 am

We went on a "yellow" scavenger hunt in our home. My daughter was armed with my digital camera and took pictures of all that she found that was yellow. I'd love to do it outside too but the weather hasn't been the greatest lately.

martinmcash

Unread post by martinmcash » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:21 pm

My kids love Peep and the Big Wide World and so we used a lot of the games throughout the year. For this unit they have a "paint splat" game that my kids love. Here's the website for anyone interested: http://www.peepandthebigwideworld.com/

DaniWestRN

Re: #26 - Yellow

Unread post by DaniWestRN » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:58 pm

A nice book I found which teaches colors using rhythms about elephants.
I dream of an elephant written and illustrated by Ami Rubinger
Danielle, Mommy to DD#1- 3rd/ECC, DS#1 -2nd/ECC, DD#2- K, DS#2- pre-K, and DD#3- learning to toddle

Melissa

Unread post by Melissa » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:17 pm

Another great book - Freight Train by Donald Crews.

Melissa

Yodergoat

Rainbow Cake with photos

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat May 19, 2012 9:50 pm

We have been studying color for a long time, so Gail already knew the order of colors in the rainbow and how to mix her colors, etc. So I tried to think of a fun way to mix colors for this unit. While I was thinking, I did a photo search for rainbows just to look at somre real pictures of rainbows and a picture of a "rainbow cake" popped up. I followed the link to a blog, which unfortunately had some crude language. :~ But I got the idea of how to make the cake from there and just happened to have everything I needed. There are many recipes out there for this, but here is the basic idea:

Use a box of white cake mix or your favorite white cake recipe... must be white. After mixing the batter as directed, divide into 6 cups or small bowls for coloring. You will be dividing the colors between two round cake pans, so you need to know the order in which to put them. I guess in the end it didn't matter that much after all, but at least our red touched orange, orange touched yellow, etc. I used a larger amount of batter for the bottom layer of color in each pan so it wouldn't be overwhelmed by the top colors as they are poured over it. So we made the red cup more full than the orange and the orange had a little more than the yellow... then for the other pan the green had the most, the blue slightly less and the purple the least.

Use gel food colors for this if you have them, because they are very bright and bold. I wish we had used a little more red gel in our red, but oh well. Mix each cup of batter according to color, guiding your child on making the secondary colors orange, green and purple. Since the gel food color packs usually come with green already in it, just put this aside so your child can enjoy making their own green using the blue and yellow gel.
IMG_4736.JPG
The mixed colors, ready to pour!
IMG_4736.JPG (59.25 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
Prepare and grease your pans and begin pouring the layers one on top of the other... red on bottom, then orange, then yellow in one pan. Green on bottom, then blue then purple in the other. Don't swirl or mix them but leave them looking like a bullseye. Bake according to your recipe.
IMG_4740.JPG
The cooked cake. Note the concentric circles.
IMG_4740.JPG (62.45 KiB) Viewed 9222 times

Cool well before removing and then frost as you would any layer cake. We topped with sprinkles. Because Gail loves sprinkles!
IMG_4753.JPG
Sprinkles!
IMG_4753.JPG (61.71 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
See the next post for the exciting conclusion. ;)
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Yodergoat

Rainbow Cake 2: conclusion

Unread post by Yodergoat » Sat May 19, 2012 9:55 pm

Okay, here is the result of the above recipe. It looks a little odd, since the colors repeat themselves. But remember that when you slice it, each piece will have a single section of all six colors.
IMG_4756.JPG
Finished cake. Colorful!
IMG_4756.JPG (78.17 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
When you cut the cake, the layers are very distinct and pretty. We thought this was lots of fun, and made me wish we had incorporated more food projects into K. I can hardly believe this is our last unit.
IMG_4755.JPG
Note the missing yellow. Devoured!
IMG_4755.JPG (68.75 KiB) Viewed 9222 times
I'm Shawna...

psalm126mama

Unread post by psalm126mama » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:36 pm

Mister Rogers on Amazon Streaming - free with Prime or $1.99 per episode

Mister Rogers' Neighborhood Volume/Season 2, Ep. 6 "Competition (#1481) A Favorite Factory Visit: Crayons!"
"Mister Rogers shows a favorite factory tour, How People Make Crayons. In the Neighborhood of Make-Believe, King Friday announces a "Draw the Neighborhood" contest, and Lady Elaine Fairchilde decides she will be the winner!"
C. Lynn

DD 6 yrs. old - MFW 1st
DS 3 yrs. old - MFW preschool toys, Matchbox cars
DD 2 yrs. old aka Sugarlump

Talk is good, prayer is even better!

CaseyVG

Unread post by CaseyVG » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:28 pm

I colored frosting, blue, red, and yellow, and then had the kids mix them to figure out what the secondary colors were. Then they decorated graham crackers as a snack. (This is the end of the year and I was out of red paint!)
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

Yodergoat

Unread post by Yodergoat » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:10 pm

Another fun and hands-on color mixing activity that I once did with a co-op group of preschool and K age children:

Buy a bottle of the cheapest clear hair gel you can find.... think dollar store stuff. Squirt a generous dollop in three zip-top baggies (or you can do as many as you need for the number of children you have, with three baggies for each child). This works better if your baggies are not dollar store brand! ;) You can use sandwich size baggies... or even larger ones if you have enough gel and paint.

Get some vividly colored paint in the primary colors. You won't need all that much because of the gel.

To one bag, add: blue and yellow.

To another, add: yellow and red.

To another, add: blue and red.

Zip them tightly, maybe even taping them along the seam. Let your child squish and mix the colors to find the secondary colors. The clear hair gel makes the colors blend together better and makes it so you need less paint... it also seems to make the colors more vivid.

Experiment with differing amounts of each primary color to make different shades of green, orange and purple.

Explore what happens if you add a different primary color to one of the secondary colors you have made. (Brown!)

Even children who already know their color mixing enjoy this activity because it is so squishy and fun.
I'm Shawna...

CaseyVG

Unread post by CaseyVG » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:08 pm

For day 3, the TM recommends going on a color search, and then making a poster with magazine clippings. Instead of this, I let my kids use my camera and take pictures of yellow things they could find around the house. We tried to go in every room. Then I printed the pictures off on regular paper and let them glue them on a yellow paper. They loved using the camera!
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com