Reading - Reading aloud vs. independent reading on grid

Sheila in OK

Reading - Reading aloud vs. independent reading on grid

Unread post by Sheila in OK » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:44 pm

Should I purchase a set of readers?
Donna T. wrote:Can anyone tell me what the children read for themselves while doing Adventures? Does Adventures include reading material for the child or are there suggested books that we would buy in addition to our Adventures package? I know we will get the NIVr Bible. Is that actually the child's reader or how is that book used?

Thanks for any info about this. I just need to know if Adventures includes reading material for the child. I'm looking at a set of readers that I am considering purchasing but I don't want to make a purchase that will go unused. If there is sufficient reading practice contained in Adventures then I'm not going to purchase any additional books other than the tons of books that we already have and library books.

Thanks again.
Hi Donna,
Reading is scheduled every day in Adventures, but you choose the readers. There are some listed in the appendix in the back of the book, but if you have something you like you are free to use it.

We use most of the history readings as read-alouds, although if you had a very strong reader you could have him read them to you. The Bible readings aren't daily (maybe average 2-3 days/week?) and you can have the child read those to you. The passages vary in length--I have my 7yo read most of them but if its a really long one I will help her. I really like that she is learning to look up verses in the Bible with this book.

I am glad I made the switch--we start week 11 of Adventures tomorrow and are *loving* it!

HTH a little.

cbollin

What would my older ds be reading?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Angela&Boys wrote:This seems to be a wonderful option for my two ds's for next year.

One question though, what would my older ds be reading? Are there recommendations in the TM for additional reading and the book basket?
Many blessings for the New Year!
In addition to the selections listed as deluxe "read alouds" in the catalog, there are book basket suggestions in the TM related to history, US states, some science -- even some books for the suggested classical music study.

There is also a recommended list for general reading sorted by "grade" level. Most of these are "classics" in children's books.

hth
crystal

Angela&Boys

Re: What would my older ds be reading?

Unread post by Angela&Boys » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:54 pm

Thank you Crystal! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

Blessings,
Angela
wife to Greg
mama to...
Alex (20), Aaron (13), Ben (9), & Noah (3)
Exploration to 1850 ~ 2010/2011

cbollin

Book basket & other forms of reading in Adventures

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:28 pm

DLPetersen wrote:Can anybody tell me whether the dc read any books besides the bible in Adventures? I noticed the read-aloud options, but aren't those for me to read to the dc? I do know that my dd will already be able to read a couple of the read-alouds on her own. Has anybody out there added something like Drawn into the Heart of Reading alongside of Adventures?
Thank you
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:10 pm
Deena,
Adventures uses the "book basket" concept like in ECC, CtG, RtR, etc.
There is an extensive suggestion library list of books that correspond to the history, science, and other topics studied that week.

Besides "book basket" time, time is set aside each day for "reading". The focus of reading time is to develop independent reading skills.

The Hazells also list general reading lists suggestions, but you can use any readings that are interesting to the student.

Drawn into the heart of reading looks like a program to encourage literary analysis of teacher chosen books. So, maybe the question to pose is this: in what ways do MFW programs encourage, schedule, teach, provide (whatever) a way to increase reading comprehension? Is that the kind of question you're looking to have answered?

Here's how my family does it. We just talk about the books as we are reading out loud (narration?). We ask questions, but we just talk about it instead of trying to follow a guideline. But that is just MY personal preference and style to use a less formal approach in the early elementary years.

hth
crystal

kellybell

Re: Book basket & other forms of reading in Adventures

Unread post by kellybell » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:44 pm
I find that read-aloud time generates lots of questions (what does that word mean? why do you think he did that? what would you do if it were you?) that I think wouldn't come out if the book was read alone.

We don't have any sort of reading comprehension "program" but I try to beef up our read-alouds with any bits of information that might help the kids. I often point out "this is fiction" or "we call this an essay" or "you can tell this is fantasy because..." Stuff like that. I'll also point out things like "He also wrote ..." (naming other stuff by the same author). Sometimes, about halfway through a book, when everyone is "into it" I'll learn a bit about the author via the internet and share it with the kids. I'll point out Caldecott or Newbery Medals too. With chapter books, sometimes we try to guess what might happen the next time we sit down and read.

We often discuss picture book illustrations ("this one looks dark" or "I think she used watercolors.") after reading the book (I don't like to interrupt the story to point out too much). I'm guessing I'm not doing as much as Drawn into the Heart or Reading, but the kids seem to be learning things about literature.

As for Drawn into the Heart of Reading, it looks good. However, my generic warning to everyone adding something more than trivial to a MFW program is to beware that it doesn't end up overfilling your days.

We also do the book basket. Year 'round. I don't require the kids to do it over the summer, but I have fun stocking it with all sorts of books at different levels. Book basket time works well because, although you ask the child to spend 15 mins. with the books in the basket, the child has complete control over how to spend the 15 minutes. Perhaps he just looks at pictures, perhaps he reads to his baby sister, perhaps he reads the same book every day for two weeks straight, perhaps he starts a book, finds he doesn't like it and puts it away. The beauty of it is that he's in control and nobody is checking up on him. Stock the book basket with books that are above and below as well as at the student's reading level. Have all sorts of books (cookbooks, art books, fiction, poetry, nonfiction, easy readers, adult chapter books, books the child created) in the basket.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:43 am

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:05 am
Deena,
Reading is scheduled in the following ways:
a. Book basket (suggested for 15 minutes), using the extensive topical library list in the teacher's guide, or choose your own
b. Independent reading (suggested for 30 minutes from 3rd grade up), using the list of good books by grade level in the teacher's guide, or choose your own
c. Read-alouds (a family novel, about a chapter a day), in the deluxe packages plus some ideas in the topical library list, or choose your own
d. Informational reading, such as history or geography during "class," scheduled by page number in the teacher's guide using the core books you have purchased in the set
e. Bible reading, also scheduled by chapter and verse in the teacher's guide, but you may use your own Bible and lead your own discussion

You should be able to find these on the sample "grid" at
http://www.mfwbooks.com/pdf/advsample.pdf

Comprehension & retention are encouraged thru narrating back what has been read, and the curriculum includes reinforcing activities, like making a notebook page or doing a project. Occasionally the teacher's guide will have a discussion point, especially if it is a difficult topic.

I have occasionally added my own discussion/comprehension questions from a teaching book I had around the house. I would think adding Drawin Into The Heart would be easy to do. Eventually you might not find it necessary, but who knows until you try it :o) let us know!

Is that what you needed? Julie

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:07 pm

DLPetersen wrote:I do know that my dd will already be able to read a couple of the read-alouds on her own.

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:56 pm
I have heard this a lot especially with the new Adventures program since many of these are books that could be read by good readers at this age. However, I still read aloud with my 5th and 7th grader and many of them are books they could read on their own but they are so rich in character and language usually that they are more fun to enjoy together as a family. So just because a child can read a read aloud do not decide not to read it aloud with the whole family. Of course each family is different but there is something great about sharing a book together, especially a really good book.

I think others have listed other great ways that reading is woven into the program. I have found that the science books have always been another great place for my kids to read out loud for me in an informal way. Also a week by week list is given of books for book basket and in that list are included good fiction books as well that can also serve as readers.

We are glad to have you join the MFW family and hope to hear from you again soon.

Blessings,
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

DLPetersen

Unread post by DLPetersen » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:47 pm

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:11 pm
Thank you so much for your quick answers about the reading program. You have really helped me a lot. I am enjoying the gentleness of a Charlotte Mason approach, but sometimes get insecure about whether or not we are doing enough. Thanks again for your replys.
Deena Petersen
mom to
Alyssa (late '98), Brevik ('00), Caitlin ('05)

BostonMom

Adventures history ?s independent reading?

Unread post by BostonMom » Thu May 31, 2007 9:21 am

mrs_mike98 wrote:I'm looking over (for the hundredth time, lol!) The sample pages of Adventures. In the schedule, where it has "American Pioneers and Patriots" with the page numbers listed... is this reading for the child to do by themself? Or is it read aloud by me? Or read aloud to me? I know there's a separate "read aloud" time designated, and a book basket time for the child to look at books by themself, so I was wondering how this part is done... or is it just whatever works best? Thanks!! :-)
Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:27 pm
Hi--American Pioneers and Patriots is a wonderful book that YOU read aloud to your child. It includes short fictional stories about children and their experiences as part of a pioneer family. My kids sat on the edge of their seats for most of these. One of our faves! Enjoy!

TurnOurHearts

Re: Adventures history ?s independent reading?

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu May 31, 2007 9:50 am

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:16 pm
Definitely a "snuggle-on-the-couch-with-Mommy" kind of read. :) I read aloud, they sat fully engaged & expectant.

Hope you have a great year!

scmlg

Re: Adventures history ?s independent reading?

Unread post by scmlg » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:52 pm

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:46 am
We are finishing Adv. now. It's been our BEST homeschool year. It's just been so much fun, and we have learned so much.

I love that history book. I read it to my boys along with a book basket book. It's so easy for the kids to relate with their history through the book. It's wonderful!

cbollin

Reading vs. Book Basket vs. Read-Alouds on daily schedule

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:18 am

mrs_mike98 wrote:I was looking over the sample pages on the Adventures site to get help with organizing my day in general, even though we're not using Adventures yet.

I had a question - there's a "Book Basket" time listed, which, if I understand correctly, is quiet reading from the book basket. Then there's a "Reading" (listed under Math), and a "Read-Aloud"... so if the book basket time is quiet reading, and Read-aloud is when I read to the children, what is this extra "Reading"? Is it a formal subject, or something else?

And how long is each, about 15-20 minutes?
Thank you!
The nice thing is that it is explained in the ADV (and other) manual in the intro section. There are some fine line differences between Book Basket and Reading.

Reading is general reading time. Doesn't have to be related to anything in the unit study of history or science. The focus in Reading is more about developing independent reading skills. They can read silently; some times you'll want to let them read out loud. Select books that are of interest to them and appropriate for their reading level (or even a little bit below it) to encourage them to finish the book. It's fun if you can pick a book that goes along with whatever you are studying, but it's ok if that doesn't happen. Sometimes my oldest will use a longer novel from the book basket list to use as her reading time. So, there is some overlap in my house.

Book basket time: the focus is about letting them interact with books (enjoy reading), and to allow some independent learning about a topic in history or science. Think of it as a time in a waiting room --- it's ok if you don't finish that particular book, but also ok if you do. You know how sometimes we'll flip those the pages of a magazine and just grab a little bit of information, and other times we read it cover to cover. Book basket has that kind of flavor and flexibility to it. Sometimes my kids just read a few captions on a history non-fiction book. And you can have books in book basket that are of general interest as well--- it is very flexible. My oldest puts her craft books in basket or a cookbook sometimes.

Basket is about 15 minutes and I forget what the reading time is "supposed" to be. My oldest reads for long stretches of time. I have to make her do reading at the end of the school day these days. The t.m. does explain it more.

--crystal

BostonMom

Re: Reading vs. Book Basket vs. Read-Alouds on daily sched

Unread post by BostonMom » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi--we used Adventures last year and our "reading" time was always read-aloud. We read short selections from Abeka readers--short stories and poems usually--but you could listen to them read aloud from the Bible or any other age appropriate book.

The TM says that the "reading" time is intended to develop independent reading and that most of the time children will read silently (it doesn't give a time limit). My kids did a lot of silent reading on their own, however, so I chose to use it as read-aloud time. It gave me an opportunity to see where their pronunciation needed guidance and to talk about words they didn't know the meanings of. We spent about five to ten minutes a day reading aloud.

HTH,
Janet

chrellis

Adventures daily schedule for reading

Unread post by chrellis » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:14 am

This is what worked for us.

I put the on topic library books in the Book Basket. A lot of these books were well above her reading level (2nd gr), so she mostly just looked at pictures. Since she wasn't reading most of them, I ended up reading them aloud after/with reading time which usually lasted at least an hour. I know that seems like a lot, but it also included any reading for science or history and her time reading aloud to me. We would move from the "school room" (dining room) to the couch in the living room for reading because it was easier to nurse the baby and hold the toddler with the older two on either side of me.

As for independent reading, I made her read aloud to me to make sure she was sounding the words out correctly. At the first of the year, she would cry if I suggested a chapter book, so I let her stick to easy readers. Eventually, I insisted on chapter books, but I would read one page and let her read the next. This didn't seem as overwhelming to her. By the very end of the year, she would take a chapter book and read it completely on her own after school time, but I still continued to read with her during school.

We always read our scheduled read-alouds at bedtime, usually two or three chapters a night. When we finish early it gives us time to fit in a good book of choice. We especially enjoy the Life of Faith Millie Keith Series and Lois Gladys Leppard's Mandie Books. Both are historical fiction available at Family Christian Stores. They fit well with Adventures US History.
Homeschooling in East Central Indiana
dd Faithlan ('98), ds Champ ('01), dd Honour ('04), dd Glory ('06)

cbollin

Book Basket in Adventures

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:02 pm

RB wrote:Today we read a WONDERFUL book called "Goin' Someplace Special" for week 18, Tenessee. My girls loved it, I loved it, I was teary.

I found myself wondering if the BB is a bit different in Adv. This was their first introduction to segregation. A bit of discussion followed, and I wouldn't have wanted to miss that opportunity. Does book basket look different in your family in different years and with different ages?
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:32 pm
I tend to skim through the literature books in basket and decide if there are some that I want to read together. then set them aside for that. I look at the list as "book basket" and "reading" time. And even a few extra choices. I love that my 3rd grader still wants me to enjoy a story with her. With my 6th grader, I can't keep up with everything she reads. :)
I wouldn't give it too much thought if you and your children read some of them together as long as they are enjoying a book.

just one opinion and one way to do it.
-crystal

mrs_mike98

Re: Book Basket in Adventures

Unread post by mrs_mike98 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:35 pm

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:03 pm
Since I have a preschooler, a K'er, and one in Adventures, we use Book Basket in several different ways. In the morning, we have read-aloud time, when I sit and read aloud to them. Each one picks a book from the book basket (which includes K books on the theme for the week and Adventures books), it takes about 15-20 minutes. Sometimes only K books get chosen one day, sometimes only Adventures books, sometimes there's a nice mix.

Then, during the afternoon when I put my preschooler and infant down for a nap, the K'er and Adventurer do "quiet reading" from the book basket - they sit on the couch for 15-20 minutes and look at books quietly.

When there are chapter books recommended for the Book Basket, I tend to add those in to with the scheduled Adventures read-aloud, which I do with just my K'er and Adventurer, which is done during naptime as well. We're on week 11 and reading "The Cabin Faced West" while finishing up "Sarah Witcher's Story". Last week we finished "The Sign of the Beaver", and before that, "Naya Nuki". I'll read the scheduled Adv. reading first, and then a chapter or two from whichever chapter book we're in.

We're a book lovin' family, lol! our book basket is always overflowing, so there's a good variety and selection.

finley3001

What are you using for reading for Grade 2/Adventures?

Unread post by finley3001 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

Bandy wrote:Are you using a specific reading program, or?
Thanks for sharing.
We're using the Pathway Readers...not the whole program just the readers. My kids love them and they are perfect for their reading level.
kacairo1 wrote:I'm interested in the R & S Pathway readers but cannot seem to find a list of just the books. I keep finding the workbooks or reading program. Can someone direct me to a list of just the readers? Thanks!
I believe Timberdoodle.com has a complete set of the Pathway readers.
-Cayce

Wife of 10 years to my best friend
Mom to 5 kids- Girl (7), Boy (6), Twin boys (5) and 6 months.
3rd year homeschooling-currently doing Adventures, MFW 1st (second time) and MFW K (3rd time) for 2011-2012

baileymom

Re: What are you using for reading for Grade 2/Adventures?

Unread post by baileymom » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:13 pm

We use Pathway Readers from R&S for 2nd grade too. No wkbks, DS just reads them aloud, while I look over his shoulder.

There should also be a list for "early readers" in the back of your TM.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:24 pm

There is "reading time" on the grid each day, but many families just allow their kids to read library books, books from the book basket lists, or classics from the list of classics in the back of the manual. Kids will be at all different levels of reading. They will also have different preferences in reading. I just thought that since all your replies are about using a particular "reading program," you might want to know that just reading books is another option at this age.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

baileymom

Unread post by baileymom » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 pm

TXBeth wrote:Aren't the book basket books the "readers"? I am planning on starting adventures with ODD this fall and I don't have readers in my budget.
TXBeth...some of the Book Baskets books could be readers...but a lot of them you'll have to read together/aloud/just look at the pics.

In the back of your TM, there will be "easy readers" listed for the independent stuff...I would say almost every Library would have them...so no need for extra $.
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

TXBeth

Unread post by TXBeth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:32 pm

Julie in MN wrote:
TXBeth wrote:Aren't the book basket books the "readers"? I am planning on starting adventures with ODD this fall and I don't have readers in my budget.
Yes, they can be. Just have your child read something each day. Choose something she will enjoy, at or just below her reading level. It helps kids move from learning to read to learning to love to read.
Okay, thanks! She reads voraciously and with good comprehension, so I'm not all that worried about it, but was hoping book basket would be enough. I was thinking I might also just have her read a few pages of our "fun books" (Boxcar Children, Little House, etc.) aloud to me a few times each week. Those in particular are ones that she can decode, but they have vocabulary that she doesn't get, or sometimes she has a hard time following the story if I'm not reading them with her. This year we're doing Abeka, and we have ditched the readers because they are SO simplistic and boring. Obviously readers rather than books.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:49 pm

TXBeth wrote:Okay, thanks! She reads voraciously and with good comprehension, so I'm not all that worried about it, but was hoping book basket would be enough. I was thinking I might also just have her read a few pages of our "fun books" (Boxcar Children, Little House, etc.) aloud to me a few times each week. Those in particular are ones that she can decode, but they have vocabulary that she doesn't get, or sometimes she has a hard time following the story if I'm not reading them with her. This year we're doing Abeka, and we have ditched the readers because they are SO simplistic and boring. Obviously readers rather than books.
Yes, your plan sounds perfect. She may well find books she wants to read in book basket, or you may have other books on your shelves. And just challenging her a tiny bit on those harder books is a good plan -- make *most* of her reading fun and easy, until she begs for more :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

TriciaMR

One more question...

Unread post by TriciaMR » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Blessedbyfive wrote:Would I need a reading program in adventures? What kind of reading is there in the program? My son is a strong reader but I want to make sure there's reading included in the day to day. Thanks!
There's not a "reading program" per se. You can have your child read aloud to you from the Bible for Bible, and some of the other books, too. Personally (I have 2 dyslexic kids), I have my kids read from grade-level Abeka and Pathway readers.

There is also "book basket" time - which is different from reading time. These are books that are recommended in the back of the TM that you can hopefully get from your library. Some people have their kids read to them from these. But, I just have my kids read the book basket books that they are interested in. That means some they just look at the pictures, and others they read cover to cover.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog