# 5 - Nest

If you are using God's Creation From A to Z, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

# 5 - Nest

Unread post by Marie » Wed May 05, 2004 2:21 pm

Lesson # 5 Nest

Karen in FL

extra book to go with unit

Unread post by Karen in FL » Mon May 24, 2004 3:44 pm

Author: Karen in Florida
Date: 5/15/2003 2:43 am PDT

Another cute book to read with this lesson is the Best Nest. It is also by PD Eastman. We have a book that is a collection of easy reading stories and this was in the same book as Are You My Mother?. A pair of birds are ready to make their nest and the wife decides that there home is not good enough. They go through a series of mishaps trying to find a place for their nest. They finally choose a spot and make their nest. But then this place is also no good. The wife bird is so badly frightened she flies off. The husband goes to look for her and gets lost in the storm. He finally bumps into something in the dark. Its the old bird house and when he goes inside theirs the wife. She has now decide that this is the best nest after all. We talked about being content. When their build their next they collect a series of things. On the next page we try to find those things in the completed nest. Just before disaster strikes I let Joshua try to predict what was going to happen. We talked about what makes a home nice. I thought it tied in really well and my son really liked the book.

EVE

Nest snack idea

Unread post by EVE » Mon May 24, 2004 3:45 pm

Author: Eve
Date: 9/30/2002

My kids loved this! Melt a package of chocolate chips, add a couple tablespoons of peanut butter and about 2 cups (or more) chow mein noodles. Mix it all together and shape part of it into a large N and/or n. Make the rest into little nests. I added white skittles for little eggs in the nests. You could use jelly beans or mini marshmallows for eggs too.

Janie

bird house

Unread post by Janie » Mon May 24, 2004 3:51 pm

Author: Janie
Date: 10/22/2001

This week as we study nests and other animal homes, we are including Dad. Dad is going to help Dustin make some simple bird houses from scratch. We will give them as Christmas gifts and maybe even make one for us to use. I have found a web site with bird house plans if you are interested http://birding.about.com/library/blhousespecs.htm
From here there are links if you want to get specific about what type of bird you want to attract. we are going to work on attracting some purple martins. Wish us luck
Have a great day in My Father's World!
Janie <><

Janie

Book for n-n-nest unit

Unread post by Janie » Mon May 24, 2004 3:53 pm

Date: 10/22/2001 12:35 am PDT

I bought ANIMAL HOMES from USBORNE books this past summer and stuck it in my N-n file for this week. I had forgotten about until today when we pulled out the file to begin our weeks lesson. It is a wonderful book. I love the illustrations. I do reccomend it for your family.

Janie

nest snack and website

Unread post by Janie » Mon May 24, 2004 3:55 pm

Date: 10/19/2001 10:20 am PDT

I found a recipe for bird nests.

Ingredients:
3 C. Rice crispy cereal
1 C. flaked coconut
1/3 C. corn syrup
1/2 C. brown sugar
3/4 C. peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, stir together the cereal and coconut. In a large sauce pan, combine corn syrup, brown sugar, peanut butter, and vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the coconut and cereal mixture until it is well coated. Set the mixture aside until it is cool enough to handle. Form the mixture into balls, then make and indention in the center so they they look like little bird nests. You can put jelly beans in them for eggs if you like.
Happy teaching!
Janie <><

R Palazzo

Rice Krispy Nest

Unread post by R Palazzo » Tue May 25, 2004 11:18 am

Author: R Palazzo
Date: 9/24/2001 7:27 am PDT

One of the ideas we are doing this week is a nest. We will make marshmallow rice crispy treats and make nests.

Charlotte

Web Site

Unread post by Charlotte » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:50 pm

Here is a cute online game. My son enjoyed matching the animals to their homes.

www.bgfl.org/animalhomes

Blessings,
~Charlotte

Sarah (TX)

N - Nest book

Unread post by Sarah (TX) » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:21 pm

My dd and I just finished studying N - nest, and I wanted to share a book we particularly enjoyed. We found "A Nest Full of Eggs" by Priscilla Belz Jenkins (Let's Read-and-Find-Out Science book) at our local library. Although my dd usually does not like non-fiction books, this book held her interest. It has some neat illustrations of robins building a nest, baby robins developing inside the eggs, and the baby robins rapidly changing once they hatch (from eyes closed and almost no feathers to eyes open and their feathers coming in). It also gives good examples of different types of bird nests. This book definitely held our interest and presented good information.
Sarah, married to Drew (12 yrs), mom to Grace (8 - Adventures), Emily (6 -MFW1) and Megan (3)

Jen

nest craft

Unread post by Jen » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:10 pm

I have so enjoyed the suggestions of others for these units. My daughter and I are truly enjoying learning together with the MFW curriculum.

Here is a fun bird and nest mobile craft that we did together. You can make it as simple or as fancy as you'd like:

http://www.dltk-kids.com/animals/mbirdmobile.htm

Winkie

Books we enjoyed

Unread post by Winkie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:48 pm

Information books:
A Nest Full of Eggs - Priscilla Belz Jenkins
What's Inside? Animal Homes - Dorling Kindersley

Fiction:
Whose House? - Barbara Seuling
Silly Little Goose - Nancy Tafuri
Animal Houses - Aileen Fisher

Video:
Is This a House for a Hermit Crab? by Reading Rainbow
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

Winkie

Nest

Unread post by Winkie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:50 pm

We ate "nests" for lunch: I lined a bowl with mini pretzel sticks (or chow mein noodles) and put a blob of egg salad in the middle with a few red grapes on top to look like birds' eggs.
~Wendy
6 boys, 1 girl + 1 long-awaited baby sister
Completed MFW from K to Graduation
2018-19 will use US1, and ECC (for the 3rd time!)

RachelT

more birdy stuff

Unread post by RachelT » Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:30 pm

Animal Homes by Julie Aigner-Clark (Baby Einstein, but still good for this age)
A first book about animal homes by Nicola Tuxworth
Bird Nests - by Helen Frost
Birds, Nests, & Eggs (one of the series: Young Naturalist Field Guides) by Diane L. Burns - great illustrations of different varieties of birds and their nests & eggs

Also books by Dean T. Spaulding, including: Feeding Our Feathered Friends, Protecting Our Feathered Friends, and Housing Our Feathered Friends - all are full of information and have some clever ideas for building bird houses and feeding birds
Last edited by RachelT on Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nhneubauer

Animal Homes website

Unread post by nhneubauer » Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:14 pm

mommytrap

animal homes match the cards

Unread post by mommytrap » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:23 am

I found an awesome site today where you can print cards to for the animal matching game for day 2:

http://www.kizclub.com/Topics/animals/animalhomes.pdf
Necia
Mom to
Alyssa (13)
Mikayla (4 1/2) MFWK
Nathan (3) MFWPreK

Vic529

Unread post by Vic529 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:59 pm

Here's a bird nest recipe for you all.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Birds-Nest ... etail.aspx

Mommyto2

Great Website that shows many different birds and nests

Unread post by Mommyto2 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:27 am

text and videos (National Geographic/Discovery Channel type)

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdnests.html

Jenneve

Unread post by Jenneve » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Ds and I are doing the nest unit this week. We found a great informational book at our local library called It's Nesting Time (a let's read & find out science book) by Roma Gans. It held ds's interest and I found it to be very good at describing the different kinds of nests built by different birds.
Jenn mom to:
Jack (7/27/99) doing ECC
Jared (8/25/01) doing MFWK
Justin (10/18/02) doing MFWK

trufflemama66

Re: nest craft

Unread post by trufflemama66 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:19 pm

I loved all those great ideas for nest recipes, and I would have liked to try them; however, my 4.5 yo dd, Kiah, is allergic to peanuts, nuts, and eggs, so we tried making a nest with her play-doh set. It had a little tool that made 4 long strings like a pasta maker. So we mixed up different colors and made long strings to build a nest, then to contrast, we used some brilliant blues to mimic 4 robins' eggs like in the book, "A NEST FULL OF EGGS" mentioned in earlier posts. It was a lot of fun. She just loves to play with clay.
Lynn

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:02 pm

For nest week, we found an idea on-line that had one roll down the top of a brown bag. Then, after a walk to find items that a bird might use for a nest (twigs, grass, dried weeds, etc.) the child can glue the items on the "nest." We also gathered shredded paper, bits of yarn, and some other items in a home that a bird might use for their nest. It was really cute and my daughter enjoyed making a nest for her toilet paper parrot (from DLTK). This also worked out well because I was looking for an idea that didn't involve a lot of baking/cooking/sweets to make a nest. :0)

The following day, we made a birdfeeder out of a milk carton. Rachel wanted to keep hers inside so we glued some bird seeds to the bottom, which made her quite happy and didn't allow for a mess.

We also did bird seed art. She drew a picture with glue and we sprinkled bird seed on top.

amylynn12

Unread post by amylynn12 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Here is a cute craft for the nest unit. :)

http://www.dltk-teach.com/alphabuddies/mnest.htm

Blessings!
Amy Lynn

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Posted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:15 pm

An idea that came to me while doing the nest lesson was how a bird wing's comes out to shelter its young. I had dd get down on the floor and pretend to be in a nest. Then I swooped down :-) and stretched my arm out over her and said something like, "don't worry, my darling, I am big and strong and I will protect you and love you." It really clicked with her, and that remains one of her favorite Bible verses. Sometimes at bedtime she asks me to hide her under my wing like God does. Just an idea -- worked for us!

Cherish

Bird Nest

Unread post by Cherish » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 pm

If you feed the birds and have nesting boxes in your yard you could teach you children about nest then walk outside and show them what you find in you nest box from the summer. I usually clean mine out at the end of summer but now I will wait and use this idea for myself. Just make sure you wash your hands when you are done and wear gloves.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:04 am

Nest Unit and my autism kid

We went with PD Eastman book, Are you my mother?

Nothing really special or different in my teaching of this unit other than I really made sure we did the egg, nest, bird sequencing over and over and in new ways that were in line with some current speech and language goals.

One of the neatest moments for me in this lesson wasn't really about teaching or my child. It was how God used the questions that Marie had for literature day for Are You My Mother. There are some many times that homeschooling with autism in a child is a very long and difficult path. And I think from time to time, maybe she should just be in a special ed school, certainly they could do a better "job" than I could. But as I read the questions that Marie had for Are You My Mother, I felt the Holy Spirit just telling me "if a Snort isn't a better mom for the bird, why would that Christian special ed school that just opened be a better mom for "youngest""???? It might be a place that could do some academics a little better, or provide some specific way to meet a goal, but it is not a better place to be.

oh yeah... we also got A House is a House for Me on audio cd from the library to help with that book.

-crystal

Leah OH

Unread post by Leah OH » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:04 am

Here's another good activity to go along with Day 2.

http://www.dltk-teach.com/minibooks/homes/index.htm

My kids love these little books. This one even comes with a short worksheet to do after you read the story.