Weeks 31 & 32 (with Plants; Adding 3 Numbers)

If you are using Learning God's Story, please share your ideas with us.
Cyndi (AZ)

Weeks 31 & 32 (with Plants; Adding 3 Numbers)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:50 pm

Gluten-Free Clay Pot

Because of my gluten intolerance, and never knowing how rice/bean flour is going to act for something like that, I purchased terra cotta air-dry modeling clay at the craft store. O.K., to be honest, I sent dh out for it at 9:00 last night. But it worked great! It was so much fun -- we looked through the directions on the box and Makenzie chose to do a "rope pot" instead of a "pinch pot," so she made a flat 2-3" round bottom and then rolled snakes of clay and coiled them up about 6" high. Then I helped her shape a lid and she made a little round handle. It looks so authentic! I can't wait for it to dry!

SEVERAL GLUTEN-FREE IDEAS:

* The terra cotta clay I bought was GFCF.

* Crayola model magic is GFCF.

* GFCF Modeling dough -- which would be for clay pot
1 cup gfcf flour
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup water

Mix flour and salt together first. add water and mix until it starts to pull away from the bowl. turn out onto a board and knead until smooth and elastic. dries very quickly so keep what you are not using in a zip loc baggie. once project is finished cook in oven at 175 f until dried out. paint as you like.

For the flour, I would use Bob's Red Mill. I buy that instead of mixing my own. I keep rice flour on hand, too, but not the starches. I haven't found any good bean flour and I refuse to make my own. I sub stevia or xylitol for sugar most of the time.

* GFCF playdough
2 cups white rice flour
4 tsp cream of tartar
2/8 cup salt
2 tsp xanthan gum
4TBS oil

Place all ingredients into a food processor. Slowly add ½ cup boiling water until mixture forms ball. If dough is crumbly add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is soft and firm. Let cool. Knead on floured board for 10 minutes. Separate into 4 small balls of dough and add 8 drops of food coloring to each. It is best if you keep this homemade playdough in the refrigerator.

Hope you find something that you're happy with -- we loved doing this project.
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Poohbee

Adding 3 Numbers

Unread post by Poohbee » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:32 pm

The game Chutes and Ladders works perfectly for adding 3 numbers! I played it with my 6yo dd and my 3yo dd. We played the game just as you normally would play Chutes and Ladders, except my 6yo dd and I used three dice and added the three numbers and then moved that many spaces. If we landed on a ladder we climbed, and if we landed on a slide, we slid down, just as you normally would. My 3yo dd used the spinner that comes with the game, and it was good for her to practice her number recognition of numbers 1-6, which are on the spinner. We let her spin twice for every one shake of the dice we did. It's always nice to find a game that makes math fun and one that is good to play with various age levels!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

humpty

The Life of Jesus audio for kids

Unread post by humpty » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:46 pm

For all of you My Father's World 1st graders that have studied the Bible all year, this site has some Old Testament Bible stories on it, narrated by an obvious grandma voice. The one I am recommending is the one titled "The Life of Jesus." She give a brief overview of the OT and then tells the life of Jesus. It will be a great for a review at the end of the year, or between the OT and NT(or anytime). It is not short, probably about 45 minutes and is a wonderful overview of the Bible. I wish I could figure out how to get it copied to a CD. If you know how, let me know. I hope you like it.
http://www.ccwtoday.org/resources/teach ... sa_action=

Liz